The 6000 Baht Holland Guy

mahjongguy

Saw him in Silom too, sitting directly at the front of that sports shop next to J City. Notice he has a new sign too with Thai writing on it now.

There's another guy (German I think, or perhaps Dutch also) who hangs around Silom / Surawong who sometimes looks in a terrible state, must be the effects of drugs I think. Always tries to be friendly, saying hello to people and I've only once seen him actually begging, most of the time he just seems to be hanging around looking wrecked. Often wondered what his story is, but being as I have to work right in his dossing area don't want to get too friendly with him.

But, one thing about these guys, they must be bored out of their minds doing this all day. The Dutch guy in the OP has been doing this for years, what does he do with the money he raises? Can't imagine he has mates or any form of social life.

Edited by dantilley

btw, i am sure that jealousy plays just as strong a part in the hatred for this guy as someone's sense of right and wrong.

Wow you just get more and more outrageous don't ya? Jealous of WHAT?

Damian Mavis

I have to say, I am pretty curious too. Not that many people crave the demeaning life of a beggar. People looking at you with pity or disgust isn't the way I'd like to spend most of my time.

I must admit to having a strong dislike for this guy. It is basically his job and he has no intention of ever returning.

But, one thing about these guys, they must be bored out of their minds doing this all day. The Dutch guy in the OP has been doing this for years, what does he do with the money he raises? Can't imagine he has mates or any form of social life.

Sure he could. I bet he gets at least 30K+ baht a month. Enough to get a room, eat, have friends. Just his day job begging instead of teaching english. No slight against english teachers meant, just that he would probably have a higher income than most english teachers.

I bet he gets loads from farang tourists that feel bad for the guy being trapped here. What is 500 baht to help a guy out.

I saw him at the Asoke BTS station earlier this year. Told him he was famous, that there was a video of him on the internet. He just kind of laughed it off. Asked him if it was hurting his business, and he said not really.

I have absolutely no sympathy for this guy at all. I wish he and all other farang beggers would be deported. At one point he had enough money to pay for a return ticket into and out of thailand. Anything that would put him on the street after that is his own fault.

Had a college buddy that went to Thailand in the early 90s. He got pretty heavily into drugs, cashed in his return ticket for more money and eventually had to beg from several of us in the US to buy him a ticket back to the US. About a year later his girlfriend found him dead on the couch in Seattle with a needle in his arm.

I have absolutely no sympathy for this guy at all. I wish he and all other farang beggers would be deported. At one point he had enough money to pay for a return ticket into and out of thailand. Anything that would put him on the street after that is his own fault.

Had a college buddy that went to Thailand in the early 90s. He got pretty heavily into drugs, cashed in his return ticket for more money and eventually had to beg from several of us in the US to buy him a ticket back to the US. About a year later his girlfriend found him dead on the couch in Seattle with a needle in his arm.

I'm sorry you lost your friend that way and I feel its definately a sad story. I think his story definately fits the "his own fault" part though. I don't really know the laws with deportation though. If he just went to thai immigration or maybe the US embassy and was like "my visa is out, I have no money, I wanna go home." Would they stick him on a plane? I'd imagine cheaper than lifetime imprisionment.

I spent a couple of days in Bangkok last week after returning from Samui and think I may have nearly been scammed there. After finishing breakfast in my hotel I was confronted by a French woman who was clearly panicked and out of breath. She said her husband had been beaten up that morning and they have no money. Said he was in hospital and she need 3500 THB to get to him. I asked if she had spoken with the police, hotel manager or embassy and she told me she refused to deal with Thais and that the embassy couldn't help. I went to get the hotel manager and she still asked every guest that left the breakfast room. The hotel manager went down to speak with her and she became quite irate and left the hotel. I'm such a softie but I still don't know if I did the right thing.... hopefully it was a con as I would hate to think I didn't help her :o

L

Sounds like the woman who approached me at Ekkamai a few months ago. She said her husband was in prison and needed about 3000 to get him out. She was out of breath and did her best to look panicky. BTW she was in her late 40's and had dark hair.

I think the next time I see that Dutch guy I'm going to destroy his sign and take any money he has lying around and give it to charity.

I think the next time I see that Dutch guy I'm going to destroy his sign and take any money he has lying around and give it to charity.

Don't bring yourself in trouble by playing the Judge... :o

LaoPo

Don't bring yourself in trouble by playing the Judge... :o

LaoPo

Also you don't know the circumstances - I must admit I saw him a few weeks backs on Suk he waits between Soi 10 and 12 sometimes. I thought here is the scoundrel I keep hearing about - but when I met his stare I really thought there is something seriously wrong with this guy - i.e. in the mental department. I think instead of posting threats it might be more revealing to do something old-fashioned like talking with the guy and then letting us know the result.

Cheers BB

These threads always bring out a few mock-vigilantes threatening all kinds of retribution on this guy. However, you can ignore all of it as just web-warrior rubbish because he's still plying his trade and has been doing so for years without anyone throwing him off skytrain stations, or whatever.

it's sad how most folks can't pry 100 baht out of their wallet when it matters but have

no problem blowing a few thousand at the a-go-go.

If people can't take care of themselves they should go home to mummy. If they can't afford to do that bacause they've been so useless with their money that's their fault, I ain't giving em mine just because I know how to manage my finances in a responsible manner.

I'd put my balls in a vice before I ever beg for anything.

And yes, I'd rather give my money to some slut who's gonna earn it than some muppet who blew/lost all his money through his own irresponsiblity.

Edited by thomo

And yes, I'd rather give my money to some slut who's gonna earn it than some muppet who blew/lost all his money through his own irresponsiblity.

But he did not blow his money and was not irresponsible. This is his job. He is a begger. It pays good money. The sign about needing the money to get back home is just part of his sob story to get people to give him money. If he had a sign that said "Please give me money so I can stay here and not have to get a real job.", then I would imagine he would not get very much money.