Stick Vs Automatic

Thaiboxer

I don't think I've ever seen a manual Jag in the States where I'm from. Automatics rule over there and they're catching on in Europe although I think manual will be dominant for some time to come. Some countries in Europe won't grant you a license to drive a stick unless you've taken/passed the driving test with one. I would imagine most Europeans could drive a stick with ease.

Yes there is a test available in the UK for Automatic only , passing this will only allow you to drive an Auto , not manual/stick.

It's a sign of the times to come methinks.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I've ever seen a manual Jag in the States where I'm from. Automatics rule over there and they're catching on in Europe although I think manual will be dominant for some time to come. Some countries in Europe won't grant you a license to drive a stick unless you've taken/passed the driving test with one. I would imagine most Europeans could drive a stick with ease.

Yes there is a test available in the UK for Automatic only , passing this will only allow you to drive an Auto , not manual/stick.

Not sure why anyone apart from an old diehard type of glove wearer would want manual in the real world,.if you had seen what i was up to on sunday night it would have been impossible in a manual ! :o Edited by mikethevigoman

Not sure why anyone apart from an old diehard type of glove wearer would want manual in the real world,.if you had seen what i was up to on sunday night it would have been impossible in a manual ! :o

On the contrary , Automatic cars are associated with old farts in Europe, well amongst the younger driving community - Top Gear et al.

If you live in the Uk you tend to use a lot of twisty little country roads that would be fairly cumbersome to drive using an auto in comparison - double declutching etc is a big part of this rally style driving.

I mean can you imagine comparing an EVO X or Impreza sti Manual vs Auto. And they are very much a younger drivers car - in the real world.

In Disneyland ? I dunno........ :D

Edited by chonabot

Not sure why anyone apart from an old diehard type of glove wearer would want manual in the real world,.if you had seen what i was up to on sunday night it would have been impossible in a manual ! :o

On the contrary , Automatic cars are associated with old farts in Europe, well amongst the younger driving community - Top Gear et al.

If you live in the Uk you tend to use a lot of twisty little country roads that would be fairly cumbersome to drive using an auto in comparison - double declutching etc is a big part of this rally style driving.

I mean can you imagine comparing an EVO X or Impreza sti Manual vs Auto. And they are very much a younger drivers car - in the real world.

In Disneyland ? I dunno........ :D

Owned them all, horses for courses,( including a new auto granada ghia ghia X back in 79 along with a ferrari 308gtb ) but more recently when i lived in devon/cornwall there was nothing better than going out on a sunday in my evo 5 ( still one of the best /fastest a-b cars ever ) but we are talikng about thailand and im talking about pattaya /bkk really, auto is far better,and a truck suits the roads,but i do miss that evo 5 still ! :D

So what happened on sunday night vigoman ?!.. Well i can't imagine anywhere in Thailand, where auto would have any advantage....

Ah wait , imagine city of Auckland NZ. Steep hills in CBD ... arrgh.. now rush hour there would be somewhat safer with auto, .. other, than that .. nah..

Stick shifts offer MANY advantages over automatics, but in stop-and-go traffic, an automatic does have an advantage. With regards to pickups, Thailand is number two in the world for pickup purchases (behind the USA). Pickups here usually cost less than a quality car, they run for ages (diesel engines) and have the tougher suspension to take all the pounding from the bad roads. However, most pickups won't provide the comfortable ride of a car and that pounding gets transferred to your body! My brother-in-law has a 2003 Ford Ranger (4X4) and the ride is less comfortable than our 1981 Toyota Corona :o Some pickups do have softer suspension nowadays and will give you a ride similar to what you'd get in a car.

If you want the ultimate in vehicle longetivity for Thailand, a good pickup with a manual gearbox is your best bet. My father-in-law has a Mitsubishi Cyclone with over 500,000 km on it and the thing keeps going!

Edited by Thaiboxer

As this it Thailand board and you can't even find a decent passenger car with manual anymore this "debate" is ridiculous. The people have spoken and car makers replied.

Whatever you say about Europe, it's irrelevant, the trend here is irreversible.

So what happened on sunday night vigoman ?!.. Well i can't imagine anywhere in Thailand, where auto would have any advantage....

Ah wait , imagine city of Auckland NZ. Steep hills in CBD ... arrgh.. now rush hour there would be somewhat safer with auto, .. other, than that .. nah..

IT INVOLVED A FEMALE ! SCHH, By the way, we won the malaysia rainforest off road challenge in a factory p38 range rover AUTO ,. much better off road than a manual,.

post-41326-1194486973_thumb.jpg

As this it Thailand board and you can't even find a decent passenger car with manual anymore this "debate" is ridiculous. The people have spoken and car makers replied.

Whatever you say about Europe, it's irrelevant, the trend here is irreversible.

England and most of europe are 20 years behind the states in auto ideas and trends,.i can drive both and have done track time, a toptronic box is the best ,you dont see clutches in f1 cars anymore, but we are talking real world and in thailand, and to narrow it even more most will be baseing comments on normal ( as normal as thailand is ! ) driving, and so my vote goes to an auto, give me winding roads of devon and north cornwall and yes a manual evo X please, but im not there so, an auto truck to drive will suffice,.

I can't believe were still having this debate in 2007. manual gearboxes are primeval. They are something of the past best forgotten. A manual box just like a manual tv without remote control should be treated with the contempt it deserves.

The thought of pushing that clutch in a few million times should be enough to turn most peoples stomachs.

We need a revolt were manual cars are turned over and burnt in the street.

I can't believe were still having this debate in 2007. manual gearboxes are primeval. They are something of the past best forgotten. A manual box just like a manual tv without remote control should be treated with the contempt it deserves.

The thought of pushing that clutch in a few million times should be enough to turn most peoples stomachs.

We need a revolt were manual cars are turned over and burnt in the street.

Spot on ! makes me wonder why these people dont buy a washing machine with a handle on the front,.ive always been a lazy sod though, i remember years ago i had a long stick to that i could press the buttons on the tv to change channels and turn it off without getting out of bed !,. :o !

I don't think we can compare manual transmissions to getting out of bed and changing channels. A manual makes the driving more fun and gives you direct control over the gearbox without all the complex computer gadgets.
With all respect ,are you english and not a young man ? ..nothing personal but i have an uncle ( not frank !) that wont buy anything japanese as he remembers the war, ( now and again ) !.i cant help thinking this is an old way of thinking ,mainly by brits ( yes im one ! ) a brit, not a manual driver :o

As an ex truck driver I had to drive a variety of vehicles with different gear box's, range changes and splitters.

My old favorite was the "slapper box" on a 93 Iveco, smooth, powerful and never missed a gear.

After a days driving though I was always pleased to get into my BMW (E30) with auto gearbox for a nice relaxed drive home!!!

PS: my last company were changing the fleet over to automated trucks (MAN''s, DAF'S, Volvo) reason being"to increase driver comfort and reduce fatigue"

Talking of Volvo's, sighted a Globetrotter south of Saraburi on the "1" yesterday, makes a change from all the Hino's/Isuzu's, though Saha farms now have some Scania rigids.

"Vigoman" now have a Nissan Navara (6 speed manual!!) not like your pretty blue thing, on another post.

Good driving everyone

I just read that BMW will put double clutch semi-auto in M3 starting next year.

I wonder who will be extinct first - manuals or their drivers?

>>>

In this thread's terms semi-auto is "auto" but technically the labels appear to be a lot more complicated.

Manuals will never die! :o Those of us who love driving stick shifts will unite and have protests outside the car manufacturing plants all over the world.

Crossy and other dedicated manual fans will join me in the "Stick Shift Revolution"!

I think we should set up reservations where these manual freaks can get in touch with their clutches and drive, live and die peacefully without endangering the larger community. :o

Oh, and the next Evo gets dual clutch semi-auto, too.

Edited by Plus

i remember years ago i had a long stick to that i could press the buttons on the tv to change channels and turn it off without getting out of bed.

Ive got one now to turn the fan on and off !

As for the Manual/Auto debate. The sooner they start turning over and burning those manual cars in the street the better, what ever cars are left over can be sent to gear jammer Island like was suggested and they can crunch away to their hearts content.

As an ex truck driver I had to drive a variety of vehicles with different gear box's, range changes and splitters.

My old favorite was the "slapper box" on a 93 Iveco, smooth, powerful and never missed a gear.

After a days driving though I was always pleased to get into my BMW (E30) with auto gearbox for a nice relaxed drive home!!!

PS: my last company were changing the fleet over to automated trucks (MAN''s, DAF'S, Volvo) reason being"to increase driver comfort and reduce fatigue"

Talking of Volvo's, sighted a Globetrotter south of Saraburi on the "1" yesterday, makes a change from all the Hino's/Isuzu's, though Saha farms now have some Scania rigids.

"Vigoman" now have a Nissan Navara (6 speed manual!!) not like your pretty blue thing, on another post.

Good driving everyone

nice truck, but 6 gears were 6 to many for me !,. only got 2 feet, only want 2 pedals :o

i remember years ago i had a long stick to that i could press the buttons on the tv to change channels and turn it off without getting out of bed.

Ive got one now to turn the fan on and off !

As for the Manual/Auto debate. The sooner they start turning over and burning those manual cars in the street the better, what ever cars are left over can be sent to gear jammer Island like was suggested and they can crunch away to their hearts content.

Ive got one now to turn the fan on and off ! :o:D ,,,

I just read that BMW will put double clutch semi-auto in M3 starting next year.

The SMG version of the M3 has been around since 2002 with the semi-automatic so this is not a new development by any standards if the imagination.

The whole point of a semi-auto gives you the best of both worlds - the relaxation of the auto when city driving or cruising and the control of the manual when you want performance.

That would work in the right car ,. In the city select auto, yea, i like it, where do i sign ? ! :o

We have a friend with a Honda City that features a semi-automatic transmission. You can select full auto and let the gearbox do all the work or you can move the shifter around a bit similar to a manual. There is, of course, no clutch pedal. It seems as if this type of gearbox is only available on the top models unless it's a really expensive car to begin with (BMW, etc). Most automatics I've seen here are the standard kind which are four speed/full auto versions.

Still, nothing beats a good old manual! On the highway, you just leave the thing in fifth gear (overdrive) and cruise along which is similar to an auto. However, when it comes to negotiating obstacles/twisy roads, the manual gives you good control. Plus, you can pop the clutch to start it up if the battery dies.

Good driving everyone

I wish Toyota Landcruisers had a 6 speed manual trans. Drove a truck once...it had a 23 speed Roadranger box in it. That was fun :D ...much more fun than a dreary auto "slush box". :o

It must have been fun to drive one of those multi gear big rigs:) They use the old fashioned, non-synchronized gear box, but I've heard that it's not too hard to get the hang of it. Those big rigs need all those gear ratios to take advantage of the narrow power bands in those big diesel engines. Where I'm from in the States, the big rigs can cruise along pretty well and often go faster on the highways than many cars.