Cheated By A Farang

tb42_So

also if u know his character why you get involved with him.

WAKE UP PEEPLE AND SMELL THE SOM TUM. translates to use the brain god give us, make god proud...lol.

i didn't know his real character then, i realized what kind of person he is after i worked for him for a while

The attitude peeps have on TV sometimes shocks me especially when it comes to being ripped off by the locals. You may sit on your high horse and criticize Thailand all you want but I suggest you retake your history lessons. Unless I'm mistaken most developed countries had the same issues as Thailand with rampant corruption, crooked cops and scammers on every corner and still do to a lesser extent. Lucky for most of us these issues were mostly resolved a few decades ago. The thing I find disappointing with Thailand is that in an age with mass media every Thai knows yet they still do nothing about it (Mai Pen Rai). In the west we are luck our fore fathers had the guts to stamp out much of the rampant corruption, crooked cops and scammers. Now if they could have only made politician honest then we would have a utopia LOL.

We should show a mature attitude toward the OP and stop trying to belittle him. If we are all so smart why do westerners get scammed here too?

Anyways to the OP I hope you get you money back and if this guy truly is ripping you off he deserves to be caught by the authorities.

File a complaint and report his untaxed biz too.

There is no room for these lowlifes and frankly diving-companies have always been in the frontline, together with bars, of having the wrong kind of people behind them. That is, if you care about Thailand longterm.

A dishonest farang eh!! Well i never, what next....
And in upmarket Phuket too,. i thought they were all in Pattaya ! :D

Nah, there's some right A holes of the farang variety in Phuket who seem to be operating with impunity, shafting farangs and Thais alike. Being on the receiving end of these deadbeats isn't great so if he is a bad un, OP, get him sorted :o

/While some seem to think it's ok for a farang to blatantly rip-off a Thai person - perhaps to level the playing field or whatever - just remember that we're on their turf guys and bad farang apples will only dirty our image in Muang Thai further. All the best, tb42_So.//

Edited by jackr

53,000 Baht is a lot of money to remain unpaid if it is actually due and a small fortune to many Thais no wonder the OP feels aggrieved.

For many Thais?

I would believe for all Thais.

53 000 Not a lot of money for you?

It is for me.

If the story is true. Talk to guy first.

If you feel you will not get the money back, then report him.

Have a drink by the nearest place, and watch when they come to pick him up.

At least you can get some satisfaction out of it.

i was cheated for the last payment when i worked with a :o farang in a dive shop in Kata,Phuket and somehow he got away with it.He's been doing this for a long time and to many people, if you say his name people in diving business will know him well.

The thing is i know he's cheating the revenue department with a lot of black money. I got evidence in my hands it shows about 3 million baht black money in it. If the revenue department found out,what's gonna happen

i said by a farang,because i'm thai

tb 42,

Surely you must have a record or proof of what is owed to you? You could take this to the Labour Department and get them to assist you.

i was cheated for the last payment when i worked with a :o farang in a dive shop in Kata,Phuket and somehow he got away with it.He's been doing this for a long time and to many people, if you say his name people in diving business will know him well.

The thing is i know he's cheating the revenue department with a lot of black money. I got evidence in my hands it shows about 3 million baht black money in it. If the revenue department found out,what's gonna happen

Something fishy here. A Thai employee isn't going to have access to the figures, unless you're the accountant. And if they did wouldn't stiff the Thai employee for a paltry sum of money. What does he owe you 5000 baht? 10000?

Local government have been scrutinizing the farang owned dive businesses. If you indeed have evidence take it to the tax office.

It's 53000 baht he owes

If you feel cheated, then go for it. I don't know who thinks that all thai are bad and all farang are good. I certainly don't I think that there are percentage wise a lot more bad farang in Thailand then in their home country. I do feel that it is hard for a farang to open a business in this country but that is an other story.

Some of your attitudes are pretty stupid... you don't believe the OP because he is Thai and the other guy is farang. There are lots of SCUM farang living here.

I'm not commenting on this case specifically, but give the OP a break.

Edited by Entrep

53,000 Baht is a lot of money to remain unpaid if it is actually due and a small fortune to many Thais no wonder the OP feels aggrieved.

For many Thais?

I would believe for all Thais.

53 000 Not a lot of money for you?

It is for me.

If the story is true. Talk to guy first.

If you feel you will not get the money back, then report him.

Have a drink by the nearest place, and watch when they come to pick him up.

At least you can get some satisfaction out of it.

Attention tb42, the OP. Please take this excellent advice above. That IS a lot of money; you probably stayed on too long hoping to be paid before the scum's true mature became obvious to you; ignore the usual negative remarks here and GO for the commission you will hopefully get from the tax people by reporting him.

But first, ask yourself, does the bad guy ALSO read thaivisa? If so, or you have any other worries, plan to get out of town fast when you receive justice!!

If this story is true, which I doubt 53k, supposed Thai working in a dive shop? For what? The answer is very simple. You just do what all the other Thais on this island do. You pop off to Chalong police station and lodge a report. You are Thai and he is farang - you will win and he will lose. And if you happen to have friends or family working there, they will even arrange to shake down his little shop for you.

It is your duty to report this person to the revenue department?

Surely this Farang deserves to be brought to justice for these crimes.

So report him, WHATS THE PROBLEM?

Edited by distortedlink

Report it to the labour department. Once I threatened to do this to a non diving company and they paid. I also know of people who didnt get paid by a diving company in Phuket and filed a complaint with the labour department and eventually they got paid.

But may I ask how did a dive shop come to OWE YOU 53,000 baht?

That is a lot of money to earn from a dive shop, especially low season, even for a farang who tends to get padi higer wagers then Thais sometimes.

Are you an instructor or ADMIN?

Even a 1 month salary for a farang admin with a degree and experience in business can get about 40-50 before taxes.

I love all the replies from Farangs who seem to think it is improbable that a another Farang would rip off a local person, it's all a bit too "holier than thou". Have to report that during my years in Thailand I am more suspicious of Farangs at the outset than I am of Thai's. Like it or not Thailand has a slightly less than perfect overseas for a whole host of reasons and that in turn seems to act as a magnet for a class of Farang that might be considered less than desirable back home, let alone here. To the OP I say, shop the guy.

Over ten years experience of professional dive work in Thailand and allow me to inform you all that in that time, not once was there any kind of written agreement. Never. It's simply the nature of the business, it's all done verbally with who you know or who knows you.

On many occasions, I have had to argue for monies that should have been mine, some I lost and others I got my money. It's the nature of the business. The OP knows this well, as I can't see how any qualified instructor in this country could be so gullible.

Regardless, OP should contact PADI Asia Pacific in Australia as well as visit the local cop shop.

Over ten years experience of professional dive work in Thailand and allow me to inform you all that in that time, not once was there any kind of written agreement. Never. It's simply the nature of the business, it's all done verbally with who you know or who knows you.

Depends on where you work AjarnRuss. I know many DC's who have contracts with their staff. Also some operations insist that their staff sign for their monthly wages as a form of receipt. Also with an agreement any written warnings can be documented as a back up for the employer. Especially for Thai citizens as 3 warnings are required prior to a formal dismissal. So for the OP - if you were dismissed - did you sign 3 written warnings before?

However like Misterman I do know of a well known DC who did not pay their staff and used the Tsunami as an excuse. The fact was the staff were not paid from a month before the Tsunami. There were also quite a few others who chose not to honour their payments to their staff. What a disgrace!

To the OP I do not understand why you are so hesitant in reporting this company? As a Thai National you would have stronger support in exposing this Foreigner for abusing your rights. For you to have access to his tax details it seems to me that you must have worked in the office which means that you were not paid for quite some time in order for so much money owing to you to be accumulated?

Also this company could surely not have been in operation for very long in order to get away with the tax requirements which are very strongly enforced on the Dive Industry as a whole. If this is the case - then you would have even more support from the Labour Department, Police and Tax department.

Depends on where you work AjarnRuss. I know many DC's who have contracts with their staff. Also some operations insist that their staff sign for their monthly wages as a form of receipt. Also with an agreement any written warnings can be documented as a back up for the employer. Especially for Thai citizens as 3 warnings are required prior to a formal dismissal. So for the OP - if you were dismissed - did you sign 3 written warnings before?

However like Misterman I do know of a well known DC who did not pay their staff and used the Tsunami as an excuse. The fact was the staff were not paid from a month before the Tsunami. There were also quite a few others who chose not to honour their payments to their staff. What a disgrace!

To the OP I do not understand why you are so hesitant in reporting this company? As a Thai National you would have stronger support in exposing this Foreigner for abusing your rights. For you to have access to his tax details it seems to me that you must have worked in the office which means that you were not paid for quite some time in order for so much money owing to you to be accumulated?

Also this company could surely not have been in operation for very long in order to get away with the tax requirements which are very strongly enforced on the Dive Industry as a whole. If this is the case - then you would have even more support from the Labour Department, Police and Tax department.

:o Sounds like a big fat lie, I know one company and one company alone that fits the description you are giving. As far as I know he has never cheated anyone, but with held the last payment for an invoice from your consulting company, due to the fact you the english guy, face it you are not Thai, stole sencitive information, made side money and broke the contract on several different points. The payment is with held as collaterall for any damage you caused by your companys actions, and awaiting a date in court. If what you are implying is true, would this guy take you to court. And as far as I know he paid for your wedding dinner in April, for 65-70 guests, I was there, would a dishonest cheating farrang do a thing like that. I give you the following advice, try to be a bit careful with spredding lies, I also heard that you did the same thing to a company on PhiPhi Island a few years ago.

Swim slowly