Tv's In Taxi's

StrongView

I've been in three different taxi's within the last month that I've found flat screen 7" TV's in the dashboard. In part, it makes some sense. Why just sit there and go bonkers whilst in traffic? Watch some *invigorating* Thai television of course!!

But, the problem lies in catching the end of an episode of a cliffhanger Thai soapie while navigating through tollway traffic at 130 kms / hour. I try and trust the driver. I mean, he's the professional. But now, this is just beyond stupid. Changing channels, adjusting the antenna, tilting the screen to avoid sun glare WHILE DRIVING. I thought mobile phones made it difficult for the driver to pay attention...but this is just insane. Has anyone else seen this? I hope this doesn't catch on.

Yes, we were out on the town last week and hoped in a taxi on sukhumvit. There were 4 of us and we had a few beers.... taxi man saw his opportunity and handed over a microphone and started up Tata Youngs "I believe" on the TV on the dashboard - karaoke in the taxi!

Jaysus, it was great crack..... most taxi guys back home would not have even let us in the car in the first place!

I think it could catch on - but would have to be MTV like - not enough time for movies or sitcoms.........

They're pretty cheap, and of fair quality, in my experience.

Around Chiang Mai, the radio reception often isn't nearly as strong as ITV (I wonder who owns it? :o ), and the TV programming is better than the radio programming, I feel. ITV has some pretty decent news (not much negative about their owner though), and it's good listening practice...And no, I don't watch while I'm driving, just listen :D

I was in Thailand last month to check on the progress of my new house and also see our new car for the first time. I was amazed to find it had a 7" screen and VCD player in the front. It was very impressive and indiscreetly slotted away inside the dash away from view, however I have yet to find a use for it. The roads of Thailand are incredibly dangerous as it is without watching a movie at the same time!

My wife told me to watch a movie whilst on a long journey recently, as she was driving, but it just seemed so irresponsible that I didn't bother. It would be great to have one in the back for the passengers though, which is where it should have been installed. Still who am I to say?