Pickup Trucks In Thailand?

cm-happy

Hi,

am looking for some advice from experienced pickup truck users/owners.

I am looking to buy for my b/f a nice practical, servicable reliable pickup truck. I know nothing about them. He is currently driving a Honda Phantom, but not too practacle in incliment weather.

would like to get him a nice pickup truck (I know nothing about them). Have looked at Toyota 3.0 litre deisel truck with 4 wheel drive, auto transmiss would want to have an automatic with diiesel engine if possible.

Am looking for advice about pickup trucks. I'd like to get him a deisel, automatic if possible.

any recommendations. preferably in the 700 to 900 K baht range.

IMO there is not much to chose between the pick-ups that are widely available in Thailand.

Initially, the type of pick-up depends upon to what use it is to be put. Four wheel drive is only necessary if you are intending to go off-road or if the roads that you intend to use are liable to be difficult during the rainy season. If you like the height of the four wheel drive vehicles but don't need the 4 x 4 then the Toyota Prerunner is a good choice.

Manual 'v' automatic is a question of preference but I'm not sure how many 'standard' pick-ups are (or can be) fitted with automatic transmission.

Go for the Toyota vigo 4*4 automatic.

The 4*4 performs much better on wet and bumpy roads then the Toyota prerunner (2 wheel drive).

Also the prerunner hasn't got any airbags and does not come in automatic.

People will tell you not to by the 4*4 if you not really need the 4 wheel drive because of the higher maintanance costs.

Believe me these costs are still a joke.

Also the full consumption will be a bit higher. Just a bit.

In the end it's all worth it!

Good luck.

A happy Vigo 4*4 owner.

And what % of people with 4*4 drive around in 4*2 mode ?

Unless you are out in the sticks you don't need it. I've got a 2wd D-Max and its fine, even through 50cm water and sand.

My truck is auto, about Bt40k more than a manual.

I've driven the Vigo as well and there is not much between them.

I bought the best deal on finance for me.

Most pickups have the auto option as standard. I have personally owned a Mits Triton 2wd and a 4wd. Test drove the isuzu and found it to much like a commercial vehicle.

The toyota 2wd or 4wd is the best in my opinion. The new mazda looks quite nice to, but have no experience on this.

Edited by ltdknowledge

Pick up trucks come in 3 cabin sizes:

- Standard (2 doors)

- double cab (2 doors, but 2 additional seats behind)

- twin cab (4 doors)

Then there are 2 wheel drives and 4 wheel drives

Most brands offer 2 engines, a 2.5 liter and a more powerful 3 liter (or even 3.2 liter)

Finally there is the choice of manual transmission and automatic.

Not all features can be combines.

Obviously the most expensive are the double cab, 4 Wheel drive and automatic transmission (around 800'000 bath)

The most popular seems to be the Toyota Vigo followed by the Isuzu.

Personally I like the Mitsubishi because of the styling (the 4 WD, though) and the new Nissan Navara (apparently the most powerful engine, although only a 2.5 liter).

Perhaps a word of warning at the end: These are trucks and handle like trucks. Don't forget that. Compared to a "normal" limousine, they are loud, hard, uncomfortable, bad handling, bad brakes, unsafe in case of a collision and use the technology of 1950. But people like them.

- Standard (2 doors)

- twin cab (4 doors)

Most brands offer 2 engines, a 2.5 liter and a more powerful 3 liter (or even 3.2 liter)

Obviously the most expensive are the double cab, 4 Wheel drive and automatic transmission (around 800'000 bath)

Personally I like the Mitsubishi because of the styling (the 4 WD, though) and the new Nissan Navara (apparently the most powerful engine, although only a 2.5 liter).

Perhaps a word of warning at the end: These are trucks and handle like trucks. Don't forget that. Compared to a "normal" limousine, they are loud, hard, uncomfortable, bad handling, bad brakes, unsafe in case of a collision and use the technology of 1950. But people like them.

What a nonsens..

Stop comparing it with a limousine because it isnt!!

For a pick-up the Vigo is quiet, comfortable, has good handling and good brakes.

By the way i wasn't born yet in the 50's but i am sure they didnt have ABS and Airbags as well as intercoolers, aircon, electric windows, commonrails diesels.. You name it!

Because you dont like them, doesnt meen nobody likes them.

They are great machines.

Make a test-drive and find out for yourself.

cm-happy,

Most brand trucks with like equipment are priced close to each other. The thing about trucks is ride and appearance. Many people want a traditional looking truck (like Chevy, Isuzu, Nissan) or modern styled trucks like the Mitsubishi Triton. Some like manual, some like automatic transmission. Some like a truck to ride low, some high and some do not care. You need to find the truck you b/f likes. If he says he doesn't care he is lying. Have him look at some photos then test drive the ones he likes.

If it were for my g/f I would visit all the dealers and get brochures on all the models then let her choose. Most all the brands and models are within your price range. I was at a couple of dealers the other day and saw a new Triton Plus 2wd (the Plus model sits up high like the 4wd model) 4 door, stick for 716,000 baht. Then at the Chevy dealer I saw a new Colorado 2 door, 2wd model with the Z71 package (heavy duty suspension and sits up high), manual shift for 666,000 baht.

Good luck and let us know how it is progressing.

Edited by Rdrokit

Have no experience with Pickup trucks or cars for that matter in Thailand, but plenty in the U.S. About the only downside is fuel economy for a pickup is typically substantially worse than most cars and it is tall and wide so it therefore has a lot of air resistance which causes poor fuel economy. But my last pickup (a Dodge Dakota Sport) was more comfortable than most cars and it drove great. Furthermore, it would do everything such as pull heavily loaded wagons out of the field (I was a farmer). With four wheel drive it would go when other vehicles wouldn't go in the winter. It was safer in snowy or icy driving conditions. It had large adjustable bucket seats that were very comfortable. Its ride was very good. Although it was larger than most cars and therefore more of a challenge to park it handled great on the highway., and traveling across the American West through the mountains I'd normally try to maintain 80 miles an hour. Had a five speed automatic making it easy to drive. Could carry all sorts of stuff. Had a club cab so I could put a couple of extra people in it, and above all it was very reliable. sitting up high it gave a commanding view of the road. And even though it only had a 318 cubic inch 8 in it and was pretty heavy given it was four wheel drive it would still do 115 miles an hour. Except for its fuel consumption I'd rate it far superior to most cars and I often covered a thousand miles with it before crawling off somewhere to sleep.

Whoever said the pickup trucks of today drive like trucks doens't know what he is talking about.

Edited by jackcorbett

Is he not pleased with the harley? Or does he need a pickup so he can put the harley in the back of it when it breaks down all the time? :o

LOL He came to his senses, decided a pickup would be more practicle & comfortable. But will be keeping the Phantom

I've got three pickups, all Isuzu. I personally drive a 4WD 4D LS. I find it very flexible for working around the farms or a long journey. For riding around town I generally use a motorcycle. The reason we buy Isuzus is that they seem to age better - look at old models of the other makes and they tend to look their age more than Isuzus, perhaps due to the styling changes. Consequently, I am told, they hold their value better.

As previously stated, there is not much to choose between them on the basis of price and spec. I guess go for the one which best suits your lifestyle.

I have had a Toyota Sport Cruiser since 2003. Sometime after that they introduced the Chevy pickup.

Mine was a 4x4. I used it maybe 10 times in 4.5 years. I am selling it and buying the prerunner 4x2, as I do not live in the sticks.

In the 4.5 years I have had it, I took it diligently to its service appointments, and sometimes 5km earlier than required. Barring the one time when the battery went dead one morning without any warning, the car was OUTSTANDING.

Service charges were minimal.

Cons... the taxes are high and the insurance is high. You will get the pickup dented on both sides due to motobikes and careless drivers.

I did change the shocks to smooth the ride.

This monday I will get the other one. I cannot wait for it. Powerful truck and good company.

If Chevy had a real american car here, I would buy it. But their pickups are just too small for me.

Thai pickups are entirely different beasts from American ones. Whatever people say about trucks in the US is not applicable here.

If the said b/f lives in Thailand there's no need to show him borchures and pictures - he can just look out of the window and in ten minutes he'll see all the makes and models for the past ten year drive by and he surely has preferences already.

"4x4 auto 3l four door" is the top end configuration, about 800-900 k depending on the make.

Looks are exactly the same except the height. Something tells me he'd go for the raised suspension.

Thakns for replies & advice.

Todate have loooked at Toyota, Mitsubishi & Isuzu all in CM.

Mitsubishi dealership, salesperson had problem with English so he dashed off the get the franchise owner who spoke good English. He could not answere specific questions about his pickups & finally said that all trucks are the same (engine transmission etc) as if he could not be bothered with dealing with potential customer. Thanked him for his time & walked out. Is this indicative of ALL Mitsubishi dealers?

Isuzu was almost as bad. Lady salesperson could care less about selling us a truck and knew squat about the truck she was trying to sell.

Toyota dealer was GREAT. Very knowledgable & enthusiastic about product. Plus tons of options that simply were not available with either Mitsubishi or Isuzu. Truck bed covers & proximity indicators for parking aid.

So after all that will go with Toyota, 3.0 deisel with auto trans 4 door. Service is probably bettter with Toyota than with Mit or Izuzu.

You only have to look at Bangkok Post monthly new pick-up trucks sales figures. Toyota and Isuzu stuff everyone else out of sight. They sell more than Nissan/Mitsubishi/Ford/Mazda put together.

Surprised you dismissed Nissan, their Thai website is excellent, in English as well. You can look at the new Navara spec, extra's & prices etc.

I have a new Nissan Frontier Navara, 4 x2 king cab (6 speed manual gearbox) They do have a 5 speed auto.

Its robust, well put together, has an 80 litre tank and good fuel consumption. Quiet on a fast run but brakes not so sharp.

Best thing though was the price, 619k baht, looked at all the opposition and could not justify spending more, after all it is a truck.

One thing I notice with all these 1 ton trucks, they have all increased in size over the years, watching the locals reversing their Vigo's out of Tesco/Big C parking spaces is one of my monthly shop highlights.

- Standard (2 doors)

- twin cab (4 doors)

What a nonsens..

Stop comparing it with a limousine because it isnt!!

That's exactly what I am saying. Pick-ups are trucks. For people who are used to European cars, I believe this warning is important.

For a pick-up the Vigo is quiet, comfortable, has good handling and good brakes.

By the way i wasn't born yet in the 50's but i am sure they didnt have ABS and Airbags as well as intercoolers, aircon, electric windows, commonrails diesels.. You name it!

These are only add-on gadgets. Look at the chassis, the suspension, the steering: Live axle front and rear, leaf spring, ladder frame without deformable crash zone, drum brakes. Turbo charger and intercoolers were invented before WWII, electric windows in the 50ies,

Because you dont like them, doesnt meen nobody likes them.

But you are right, i don't like them, although I bought a Mitsubishi Triton 4x4 twin cab, auto (and also some decent cars, :o )

They are great machines.

Make a test-drive and find out for yourself.

These are only add-on gadgets. Look at the chassis, the suspension, the steering: Live axle front and rear, leaf spring, ladder frame without deformable crash zone, drum brakes. Turbo charger and intercoolers were invented before WWII, electric windows in the 50ies,

ABS and airbags are gadgets?

More nonsense!

Congrats CM-Happy, I don't think you can go wrong with a Toyota truck (or Isuzu, for that matter). Key is that they keep their value best.

Do note that there can be big differences in what you get extra between dealers (or between sales people). So after deciding on Toyota, it DOES pay off to have a look at another dealer. For example, you must include the dealer on the Hang Dong Road, which is independent from the other ones which are all owned by the Niyom Phanich people.

With Isuzu dealers there's an even bigger choice.

BTW, I do get the feeling that a minor-change update for the Toyota could be due somewhere early next year, perhaps prior to the Bangkok Babe Show ? (err, Motor Show?)

Hello :o

Unfortunately i never owned a pickup so i do NOT have own experience. However i read a lot about them :D And from what i read is that the larger engine (3.0) is usually BETTER in terms of "fuel economy" than the smaller one (i.e. Tiger 4WD 3.0 = 18 km/l, 2.5 = 14 km/l).

Also the larger engine allows for driving at lower rpm's because it has more torque.

BUT the Nissan Navara is Thailand's strongest pickup in torque-terms even tough it's a 2.5 :D

4WD is useful even when you're NOT off-road - as rear-drive can be tricky on wet roads already, specially if there's no cargo on the truck bed - then you combine slippery road + light rear end + lots of torque + rear drive and the result is wheelspin = possible loss of control, "fishtailing". Having 4WD makes it easier to get the power on the road.

Also bear in mind that a four-door pickup is taxed like a sedan but still has the leaf-springs in the rear like a truck (Thai laws..... crazy). To get green plates (lower tax) you have to stick to single cab (two doors) or king-cab (two doors, four seats) versions. Also the four-door versions have a much shorter bed - depending on what you plan to transport that can become an issue (my RXZ motorbike won't fit on the back of a four-door pickup).

The Nissan NV that PeaceBlondie introduced is not a "pickup truck" per se, it is actually a sedan (the Nissan Sentra to be precise) with the rear end open and a tailgate like a pickup. It's got coil rear suspension and a 1.6l petrol engine. It too is available in short cab or "queen cab" version (2/4 seats, both have 2 doors) and many are fitted with a "carryboy" type roof over the rear bed, those are called "Wingroad". It's a nice mix between a sedan (drives like one!) and an actual pickup. Of course it's bed is a lot smaller than a "real pickup", but therefor it is a VERY economical car. But it doesn't come in 4WD. (to be honest i personally just LOVE that one... i'd get one immediately but MY boyfriend does not like it... he too wants a pickup now, but a BIG one, his favourite is the Toyota Tiger, xixixi).

Best regards.....

Thanh

post-13387-1193908916_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thanh-BKK

ABS and airbags are gadgets?

More nonsense!

Just a word of caution: ABS might be a bad thing when driving off-road or an loose gravel surface. And since we are talking about off-roaders, you might want to consider this. Unfortunately none of the pick-up trucks sold here has a switch to turn off ABS when off road. Also, these trucks have 1st generation ABS, a bit outdated compared to what you get on a good European street car. And none of them - to my knowledge - offer ESP (electronic stability program), standard on most European cars today.

Airbags are great also and should be mandatory, but please for all passengers! And just to upset Jackspartt :o an airbag going off on the passenger side where the mother sits, kid on her lap, no safety belt on (as usual in Thailand), is a deadly weapon for the kid.

But let's not get into this discussion about Airbags. Basically they are a good thing. I agree.

What I don't like is that the Thai government taxes the good and save import cars so heavily that in effect, normal Thai people cannot afford to buy a save car. I wonder how many casualties could be avoided with the import tax canceled.

Unfortunately i never owned a pickup so i do NOT have own experience. However i read a lot about them :D And from what i read is that the larger engine (3.0) is usually BETTER in terms of "fuel economy" than the smaller one (i.e. Tiger 4WD 3.0 = 18 km/l, 2.5 = 14 km/l).

Also the larger engine allows for driving at lower rpm's because it has more torque.

BUT the Nissan Navara is Thailand's strongest pickup in torque-terms even tough it's a 2.5 :D

4WD is useful even when you're NOT off-road - as rear-drive can be tricky on wet roads already, specially if there's no cargo on the truck bed - then you combine slippery road + light rear end + lots of torque + rear drive and the result is wheelspin = possible loss of control, "fishtailing". Having 4WD makes it easier to get the power on the road.

Also bear in mind that a four-door pickup is taxed like a sedan but still has the leaf-springs in the rear like a truck (Thai laws..... crazy). To get green plates (lower tax) you have to stick to single cab (two doors) or king-cab (two doors, four seats) versions. Also the four-door versions have a much shorter bed - depending on what you plan to transport that can become an issue (my RXZ motorbike won't fit on the back of a four-door pickup).

The Nissan NV that PeaceBlondie introduced is not a "pickup truck" per se, it is actually a sedan (the Nissan Sentra to be precise) with the rear end open and a tailgate like a pickup. It's got coil rear suspension and a 1.6l petrol engine. It too is available in short cab or "queen cab" version (2/4 seats, both have 2 doors) and many are fitted with a "carryboy" type roof over the rear bed, those are called "Wingroad". It's a nice mix between a sedan (drives like one!) and an actual pickup. Of course it's bed is a lot smaller than a "real pickup", but therefor it is a VERY economical car. But it doesn't come in 4WD. (to be honest i personally just LOVE that one... i'd get one immediately but MY boyfriend does not like it... he too wants a pickup now, but a BIG one, his favourite is the Toyota Tiger, xixixi).

Best regards.....

Thanh

NVs are cute, my g/f wants one. I was at the Nissan dealer the other day getting my car seviced and checked out the Wingroad they had in the showroom. The price was 435,000 baht FOR A NEW ONE. Great price for new transportation.

Edited by Rdrokit

Great price for new transportation, however you may find the drop in value is pretty insane when you want to sell it or trade it in. Also, these are note the safest vehicles in the world, to put it mildly. Add 100K or so and you're in 'proper truck' territory that will keep its value like gold.

Then some small issues I have with Thanh-BKK's post:

3.0 4WD is never more fuel efficient than a plane jane 2.5 liter truck. The most fuel efficient at the moment is probably the Isuzu 2.5 iTeq common rail engine. Also consider that the increased ride height, big tyres, 4WD system weight and other Off Road regalia that people are so fond of will also increase drag and weight, and thus lower fuel efficiency.

I'll accept that Nissan Navarra has highest torque, though I think the jury is still out on when this torque is exactly available? If it's only available in a narrow (and pretty high) rev range, then it sucks for hauling stuff or going off-road.

As for wanting green plates on a truck instead of car-plates for 4-door... I'm not sure green plates is an advantage. Sure there's lower road tax, but then the insurance is higher. Also the maximum speed for trucks is actually lower than for passenger cars. (yes I know it doesn't make sense, because essentially the exact same vehicle with same engine, brakes and even higher weight is now officially a passenger car. :o Anyway, for 4 door trucks you can never get green plates, but some people go through the trouble of putting some (temporary) benches in the back and registering it on blue plates, like a minivan. I don't see the advantage to that either.

Edited by TheEmperorOfTheNorth

5th Gear did a program a couple of months ago on pickups, the winner by a mile was the new Nissan Frontier..

Don't forget that there are new models early next year for the Vigo + the Isuzu here in thailand so do not pay list price.

For me the Isuzu 2.5 iTeq is the best, twice driven the Vigo hate it, will not corner at speed, feels top heavy

Edited by ignis

Thanks to Thanh for the affirmation about the value of the Nissan NV Wingroad, details, price, photo, etc. The photo looks outdated, resembling my 1997 model.

Not to get sexual, but why is it that we gay men are happy with a cheap little NV, and the macho types have to have the latest, biggest, strongest, 4WD large engine marauder? :o Maybe cm-happy and his b/f will be happy in CMai with less car.

...Rather similar to the arguments about motorcycles at around 150-175 cc, versus bikes with 1.5 and 2.3 liter engines....

Abouty that fuel economy thing, as i said i never owned a pickup so have no actual experience - but exactly since my BF wants a pickup, i have a whole stack of used-car-magazines here, the type with a gazillion of ads in them for used cars.... and quite often the "km/l" thing is right there with the description of the car. And ALWAYS, if the rest of the car is identical (i.e. Vigo, Tiger, Strada.... 4WD, 2WD.... Short cab, King cab, 4-Door) the 3.0 ALWAYS has more kilometers to the liter than the matching 2.5. I'm neither making that up nor did i experience it.... as i mentioned in my first post, i "only" read a lot about them recently :D

It's same with some other car (off topic!) which is the Honda CR-V - this has been tested in the Bangkok Post "Motoring" section when the 2.4 became available and they too found out that the 2.4 actually guzzles LESS fuel than it's very thirsty 2.0 brother.

@PeaceBlondie

I'm not sure what it's got to do with being gay, but i'm a queen and the NV is not only available in PINK (and metallic pink on top of it!) but even with QUEEN cab - gosh, that car was MADE for me!! But for me the main thing is - economy (i hate the way my current Volvo wastes fuel), practicality (is that a real english word..?) meaning "space to load things into" + "small enough to fit in ordinary parking lots". I always liked pickups from the time i first saw one (on TV when i was like 8 years old, in an american series involving some good guy who is a stuntman by profession and a bounty-hunter by hobby, his ride is a pickup... me and my friends then competed in drawing "fourwheeldrives" on a million pieces of paper and of course, all of us would become "stuntman" when adult and we did the craziest things on bicycles to "train" for that profession). I just simply love the NV due to it's indeed cute looks (and yes, specially the pink one) but of course i also would not mind a Tiger etc... the only one which's looks i really dislike is the Mitsubishi Triton. (and apart from the NV i *actually* prefer something REALLY old - like the "Cyclone", as they are still "real cars" - i.e. i can fix them (i'm a queen, but a power queen) with tools, not with a laptop. Diesel engine, and the only electrics are the starter and the lights. I don't like ANY of these "three-letter-things" in my car, because all they do is break down and waste money. I can drive a car without any of those gizmos, thank you very much).

That picture which i put up was from a quick Google search, seems there are not many NV pics floating around - and i wanted to give the OP an idea what a "NV" is :D Next time i meet a pink Queen Cab one i'll have my Sony-Ericsson ready, those make great photo models too :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

I forget what my first Vietnamese boyfriend in America drove, but I think it was a small pickup. The second one bought the pinkest new Honda Civic that shouted "Gay!" When he got off the plane in Saigon to finally see his cousins, they looked at him and instantly shouted "You're gay!"

I don't think my old, carbureted Nissan NV with gasoline engine gets good mileage, but it has a racing exhaust and who knows what else. Do the new 1.6 NV's with fuel injection get good mileage? Or is that kilometrage?

Abouty that fuel economy thing, as i said i never owned a pickup so have no actual experience - but exactly since my BF wants a pickup, i have a whole stack of used-car-magazines here, the type with a gazillion of ads in them for used cars.... and quite often the "km/l" thing is right there with the description of the car. And ALWAYS, if the rest of the car is identical (i.e. Vigo, Tiger, Strada.... 4WD, 2WD.... Short cab, King cab, 4-Door) the 3.0 ALWAYS has more kilometers to the liter than the matching 2.5. I'm neither making that up nor did i experience it.... as i mentioned in my first post, i "only" read a lot about them recently :o

It's same with some other car (off topic!) which is the Honda CR-V - this has been tested in the Bangkok Post "Motoring" section when the 2.4 became available and they too found out that the 2.4 actually guzzles LESS fuel than it's very thirsty 2.0 brother.

Just to clarify something, please.

Most car tests quote fuel consumption based on litres/100km.

Are you sure what you have looked at was l/km, or could it have been l/100km?