Trip To Koh Samet With 2 Kids

motherof2

Hello Thaivisa:

My husband and I plan to spend a week in Koh Samet with our 2 kids (6 & 3yrs old). Which beach is nice and safe for the kids, easy access to the mini mart, and restaurants? From other forum, people advise me to stay at Samed Villa at Ao Phai. And I found the Tubtim seems like a nice beach too, but wondering if it's convenient since we are travelling with small kids. My budget is around 2800B/night any advise will be appreciated. If there is any family & kids friendly hotel in the island, please recommend.

Can I take the boat directly to Ao Phai or Tubtim from mainland? If not, where is the nearest beach I should get off, and how far it is I should walk to Ao Phai or Tubtim? I want to avoid the pick up truck if it's possible.

I have been there 8 yrs ago, things must be changed from then. Appreciate all the comments. Thanks in advance.

motherof2 :o

Edited by motherof2

We stayed for a week at Tubtim Bungalows on Samet two weeks ago (AC Room Bht1200 per night). The rooms were all renovated two years ago and are in good condition - Though I would opt for the rooms in the second or third row from the beach as these get a lot less use, hence less wear and tear, than the beach front rooms.

We are going to be staying at Samet Villa over Christmas (rooms range from about Bht2900 per night to Bht5000 for the delux family bungalows on the front row).

Both are great places for young families, and relatively free of sex tourists down from Pattaya (unlike the places around Wong Duen Beach).

Tubtim can be reached directly from the mainland via speedboat from Ban Phe (Bht1200 for a private hire) alternatively take the ferry to the main port and then a Bht bus to 'Silver Sands' - walk through Silver Sands (following the coast), 150 meters you come to Samet Villa, walk into the next bay and you come to Tubtim Bungalows, right over in the far corner.

We are great fans of Samet and of both Tubtim and Samet Villa, at one time we visited every month, sometimes every other weeks. Both our children learned to swim at Tubtim, so for us many happy memories and I hope many to come.

Tubtim does not take advanced bookings, but will take a booking on the day by phone (but you have to guarantee you will be there by a stated time or they will let the room go. Samet Villa takes bookings over its website, but you need to pay a first night deposit).

One thing to be aware of, the national park fee is Bht400 per adult and Bht200 per child, you should get away without paying for your toddler but you might be asked to pay for your eldest. Getting the speedboat nolonger works as a way to dodge the park fee, the park wardens are dotted all around the main beaches (and certainly at Tubtim).

If you've not booked then my advice would be try to get over to the island mid week and arrive before Lunch so as to get the best chance of finding free rooms (except for Christmas/NY and main weekends you will get a room).

The nearest mini mart to Tubtim/Samet Villa is at Silver sands, relatively well stocked, but do take a few day's supply of essetials.

There is an ATM at the Harbour, and another by the main park entrance gate, but nevertheless I'd still take a couple of thousand Bht per day cash just incase.

Best beach for kids, Tubtim. Best Food 'Silver Sand'. Best Breakfast 'Samet Villa'.

As I say, we've been to Samet many many times and can't wait to get back so I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Thanks alot Guesthouse, I am so happy that I just asked the right person.

How much does it cost to take the pick-up truck to silver sand per person? Is it around 200B?

Another question is we will take a public taxi from BKk Intl airport directly to the Ban Phe pier, you think I can get a taxi around 1500B/way?

Can we rent a scooter from Samed villa or Ao Phai beach? How long does it take to walk from Samed villa to Sai kaew beach?

In this case, I think I will probable take the Samed villa, then easy access to Sai Kaew, and tubtim, might be the best choice for me.

Thanks a lot for your details, it's very helpful. Might ask you more questions later, but I am very happy for now. :o I wish you have a great x'mas vacation in Samet.

Regards,

motherof2

If you are taking the Samet Villa option then you can get them to collect you at the airport and provide a speedboat direct from Ban Phe to Samet Villa (Contact Samet Villa for details).

The Bhat bus is Bht200 from the port to Silver Sands.

The taxi will probably cost you around Bht2000 to Ban Phe. Get the taxi to stop at the 7/11 in Ban Phe - the ferry is directly oposite the 7/11.

If you don't want to rush to the ferry, Christies bar, run by Jim Christie is a good place for a snack and drink.

If you are travelling on the regular ferry don't by a return ticket because it limits your choice of ferries coming back - buy singles out and singles back.

Samet Villa to Sai kaew beach is a 30 minute walk, but I wouldn't bother, Sai kaew beach is more or less ruined.

Motor Cycle hire is available at Silver Sands, but again I'd not bother, the roads are pretty well shot and there is not a lot to see from the island's roads.

I was only on Samet once but one of the tthings that stuck my mind was the ferry service. The ride was fine but getting off of the boat you need to be careful especially with little kids. Our boat was docked 3 boats out which mean't we had to climb through 2 other boats to reach the dock. It wasn't an easy challenge with out kids, I sure it would be more difficult with them.

be careful.

PKG