How To Find A Job In Thailand

I am 56 year from the USA. I have 30+ years experience in the IT industry doing everything from programmer to Managing very large IT organizations. For the past 9 years, I have been working as a porject management consultant.

I looked at a few web sites posting jobe in IT in Thailand.

It seems most specify Thai nationality or age restrictions way under my age.

At 59.5 years old, I can draw on 401k and retire but I need work till then.

Any help will be appreciated.

i would see your changes as very slim , as i researched the same job in thailand locally for a year and found nothing. I'm 37 by the way. I'm an it-manag-er with emphasis on Network Consulting.

Find a company in the us who needs an expat here, locally you won't get hired, maybe you can have a change if you can DIRECTLY contact the Foreign managing director. Out of 300 resume's i've gotten a reply of 4. (and these were all BOI company's)

Be ready to take a huge salary cut as well.

I returned and now work as a senior security consultant on active directory for one of the largest banks of the benelux (Fortis).

I searched here for a month and was offered a contract.

Thailand just doesn't want to see you coming, despite of the promises they make.

I'm in the same boat. 50 this year with 20 years experience and running my own small company in the UK. Doing mainly programming/database/design stuff for the internet/office and pda's. Would like to relocate also. Don't want to teach English and am trying to figure out an income stream if I relocate.

Happy to share ideas.

E-Commerce sites

Remote working

Asia Office

etc

I am 56 year from the USA. I have 30+ years experience in the IT industry doing everything from programmer to Managing very large IT organizations. For the past 9 years, I have been working as a porject management consultant.

You are likely already aware of this, but in case you aren't ...

If you have a fat enough 401K account to retire on in Thailand at age 59.5, then there is probably a way for you to do this NOW at age 56.

Step 1: Rollover the entire 401K account into an IRA account

Step 2: Set up an early withdrawal scheme from the IRA with a qualified tax advisor (this is probably one hour's work)

You will need to continue taking out the money every year. There are different options for these schemes and they require expert advice, but they are 100 percent legal, and following the rules will totally avoid the early withdrawal penalty. Of course, taxes on the withdrawals cannot be avoided, whether early or after age 59.5.

If you can do this ... sure beats working!

A few more possibilities:

I.

You might want to look into setting up an outsourcing business. Must admit I thought about this a couple years ago, and am still wondering why this has been done in India, Russian, and China but not in the LoS. Check out the other thread on this topic in this forum. I myself am considering moving to Thailand (with a Thai wife and child), and will likely look into outsourcing possibilities once we move. You may want to look into BOI (Board of Investment) sponsorship as a way to set up a company to do this. Looks to me like the thais could greatly benefit from your background and experience, though watch out -IMHO - if your successful, they'll probably copy and take over your business eventually.

II.

Teach - English or IT(or something else). Right now there is a boom going on and English teachers are in big demand. You can hang out teaching english (might get $1000 or so a month) until retirement and pull your 401K income in later. You can check out a website like ajarn.com to see some of the possibilities. They might even get you an apartment and help you in other ways so you can get your feet on the ground and see what you can get going over there.

III.

If you got around $75,000 (3 million baht) you can buy a condo(or just put the money in the bank in Thailand ) and get yearly extensions to a non-immigrant visa. The downside of this route is that the property boom has upped prices and supply and Thailand may be in for another real estate crash(in which case $75000 in a Thai bank would suffer from foreign exchange losses);

IV.

If you transfer approximately $20,000 (800,000 baht) to a thai bank you can get a retirement visa - though I've read that you will not be able to get a work permit and maintain a retirement visa at the same time.

I've been looking at this forum for about a week, and am a US citizen(as apparently you are) - so check out these possibilities for yourself, as I am no expert.

Good Luck.

Teach - English or IT(or something else). Right now there is a boom going on and English teachers are in big demand. I've been looking at this forum for about a week, and am a US citizen(as apparently you are) - so check out these possibilities for yourself, as I am no expert.

Really? 40,000 baht a month working how many hours and commuting how far for how long?

Big demand? Big supply too. And don't think about it without a degree, a TESOL and experience.

Why do so many peolple think it's soooooooo easy to get a decent job teaching English in Thailand?

You are right about one thing though, you're no expert. :o

Must admit I thought about this a couple years ago, and am still wondering why this has been done in India, Russian, and China but not in the LoS.

There are several IT outsourcing operations in Thailand, and there have been for a long time.

And I'm not referring to "1 man shop" type operations that are working a western contract remotely(heaps of blokes doing this).

There are some very LARGE outsourcing operations here in LOS.

Thais, in general, don't want your advice or your expertise for reasons we won't go into here, as I will no doubt be labeled a racist.

Not taking other people's advice and utilizing their expertise is one reason, and a big reason, in my opinion, that Thailand is still mostly a third world country and a developing world wannabe.

Unless you want to be disappointed, don't plan on coming to Thailand to work except teaching English and at your age that won't be too easy either. And don't expect more than 25,000 baht if you do.

This is Thailand. Thais want developed country status w/o having to work for developed country skills or knowledge.

However, they might be changing their ideas in this area. "Thailand is presently witnessing an explosion in IT outsourcing deals beyond the banking sector and many companies are actively evaluating such services for their enterprise. However, many CIOs in Thailand are still tending to regard IT Outsourcing with some degree of skepticism. (that is why they're still third world) To help overcome the fears and uncertainties of CIOs in Thailand, IDC proposes bringing together experts from across the industry with a clear goal of ensuring that enterprises completely understand the key business benefits of outsourcing their IT operations, as well as to explain why business investment in outsourcing is key to Thailand's progress in ICT development." (in other words, becoming a dveloped nation.)

Conference Bangkok Sept. 2004

Why do so many peolple think it's soooooooo easy to get a decent job teaching English in Thailand?

You are right about one thing though, you're no expert. :D

Hehe............. :o

How much does an English Teacher make then?

The official salary for a university English teacher is 25,580 baht a month, regardless of experience, qualifications or ability the cookie cutter approach. Definitely not rewarding the better among the teaching profession.

That salary is 42.6% of what the Thai government requires a foreigner to have as income to reside in the Kingdom, along with 400,000 baht in the bank.

Go figure.

Really? 40,000 baht a month working how many hours and commuting how far for how long?

Big demand? Big supply too. And don't think about it without a degree, a TESOL and experience.

You are right about one thing though, you're no expert.  :o

Through family connections in Thailand, a survey(admittedly non-scientific) among some professional Thais ( some employed in the educational industry). The gentlemen likely has a degree,given his background, though might be unhappy teaching English. I wonder why he wants to head to the LoS .

The Non-expert :D

There are several  IT outsourcing operations in Thailand, and there have been for a long time.

And I'm not referring to  "1 man shop" type operations that are working a western contract remotely(heaps of blokes doing this).

There are some very LARGE outsourcing operations here in LOS.

I must confess my ignorance on this. Thanks for the info. In the US I have never heard of IT Outsourcing out of Thailand. What are the names of the main players in LoS outsourcing and are they focused on Thai or foreign clientelle ? :o

Thanks.

The Non-Expert

You are right about one thing though, you're no expert.   :D

Hehe............. :D

How much does an English Teacher make then?

This must be the 3rd or 4th thread I've seen this guy obsessing over this- somebody give him a job, quick!

:o

A hint tho for those whose bright idea is to start a new business here- make sure that there are enough Thais earning their living from YOUR BEING THERE to defend it, or it will be stolen away.

There seem to be a fair number of consulting jobs around, 'cause the Thai consultants' education is often... well, Thai-style.

There are some good teaching jobs, but most of them are not English-teaching jobs.

"Steven"

P.S. Nem, already making friends?

This must be the 3rd or 4th thread I've seen this guy obsessing over this- somebody give him a job, quick!

No Thankyou, call me a coward, but............

I do not have a work permit to work in Thailand, i do not want to be Blacklisted in some crackdown.

I will make do scraping by on a western Salary.......................

I sometimes wish i had more balls and could go for the Jackpot, but i guess 'Bangkok Immigration Detention Centre' is not a place that i would risk ending up in.

I don't care how much money i would earn as a Teacher, i am not risking Jail time and Blacklisting. :o

I know several people who are english teachers here in thailand. the word that I get from them is that someone just starting out as an english teacher here will probably get about 24k baht a month.

curious as to what the typical thai person gets paid to be a teacher here, I asked my friends what they know. ..they replied that the thai teachers get paid around 6 to 7k baht a month for doing the same numbers of hours or more.

for that matter, according to an article in the bangkok post newspaper that I read not too long ago, the average daily salary of a thai person working in bangkok is 184 baht. and the average pay is lower outside of bangkok.

working at a fast food joint here in thailand, people get paid about 25 baht an hour. places like starbucks, mcdonalds, burger king, kfc. etc.

live-in maids are paid about 3k baht a month plus room and board. that's the norm for maids who work for thais. at least for the thai folks that I know. for a chaffeur, the pay is 7k baht.

if you want a part-time maid to come in only for a few hours a day, I have been quoted 1500 baht a month. if you want to find someone part-time, you just have to go from condo to condo looking for maids working in those areas, and talk to them. naturally, if you request a maid via a newspaper ad, you will pay more.

the pay may seem low here. but keep in mind that:

1) you can see a first run movie for about 100 baht,

2) eat a meal for about 20 baht,

3) take a bus for 4 baht,

4) rent an small apartment with air/con for about 3 to 5k baht a month.

it's all relative...

the current exchange rate is about 41 baht to 1 usa dollar.

You forgot to say if you are thai. Living cheap anywhere is easy but doing

it in a foreign country year after year is a waste.

the pay may seem low here. but keep in mind that:

1) you can see a first run movie for about 100 baht,

2) eat a meal for about 20 baht,

3) take a bus for 4 baht,

4) rent an small apartment with air/con for about 3 to 5k baht a month.

it's all relative...

the current exchange rate is about 41 baht to 1 usa dollar.

The easiest way to get an IT job in Thailand is to take it with you.

i.e. Telecommuting to your current job.

I asked my boss a few years ago (admittedly I have a Thai wife, and her father was ill), and they said OK.

There is an advantage for your company, which is that you're not likely to leave and join another firm as you wouldn't get the same money working locally.

Gentleman48,

I think looking for a FT job in LOS is a wrong algorithm.

I'd like to go to LOS too, but even if I manage to do find a job there (I'm also in IT), what do I get? Less money and same 9 to 5 at the office being confined to BKK for all seasons including a rainy one. Does it make sense?

LOS seems to be a good place for independent business. It is possible to start/buy one for only 15-20% of the money that would be required in US or EU. Many listings on Sunbelt Asia site look very tempting -- what do LOS residents think about it: Is there a place for farangs in other areas than hotels/restaurants? What about internet cafes, ISP, web hosting/design?

A few IT positions and some others on http://www.bahtsold.com

You can also look on http://www.jobsdb.com (predominately a Thai seeking Thai format but still worth a look:)

Also, http://www.ajarn.com for teaching positions.

Basically (imho) there are few opportunities for fullfilled Farang employment in Thailand (comparitive to 'back home') but the old adage remains, 'ask not what the job market can do for you, rather, what do you offer it' prevails- even in LOS!

If one is creative and can find work here 'remotely' (IT etc) this is a better possibility. If one is looking for a 100k baht plus position with a multinational, better to go thru channels BEFORE you arrive, or you may taste reality LOS style (if for example, one arrive's as a superman, world beating CV/resume in hand and unaware- including a multitude of other 'new reality' factors of course;)

OTOH, if you just want to have a laugh in LOS for a bit (and I stress a BIT unless this is your chosen vocation but still...) you can always try your hand at teaching...(better leave off there;)

Really depends on what your expectations or creative strengths are.

Good luck!

PS- anyone interested in teaching could also have a look at ThaiVisa's own 'new' teacher's forum here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=46

• 1 month later...
Your still working in THailand, and will require a work permit afaik, so are you doing it illegally ?

No.

If you're paid offshore, telecommuting to a job offshore, and don't try and sell services in Thailand, then you're "not" working in Thailand.

At least not according to immigration, who simply treat you as living off offshore income.

I presume it's because you're not taking a job from a Thai, or competing with a Thai company, and there's no way to apply for a work permit when working for a company abroad.

If you're paid offshore, telecommuting to a job offshore, and don't try and sell services in Thailand, then you're "not" working in Thailand.

At least not according to immigration, who simply treat you as living off offshore income.

I presume it's because you're not taking a job from a Thai, or competing with a Thai company, and there's no way to apply for a work permit when working for a company abroad.

I always thought that the defintion of working in Thailand was based on the location where the physical action of effort took place ?? Hence the reason why, legally, volunteer workers also need Work Permits

Back to teaching English and money. I worked part time, earned 250 Baht an hour, about 6 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week. I never hung out with other westerners in Thailand so had no idea of what others were earning.

But I learnt from my Thai friends that I was very well off. My weekly wage was more than my girlfriend's monthly office wage, and my appartment with pool and gym was the envy of all. And I was a lot happier then than I am stuck back in the UK now.

I always thought that the defintion of working in Thailand was based on the location where the physical action of effort took place ?? Hence the reason why, legally, volunteer workers also need Work Permits

Volunteer work for someone abroad, telecommuting - probably doesn't require a work permit. Volunteering where you'd "in theory, even if not in actuality" be taking a job from a Thai probably would.

I come back to the point where the application form for a work permit requires you to be working for a company registered in Thailand. If you're not, then how can you even apply for a work permit. (and Immigration, said I could telecommute on a non-O visa, which would have to change to non-B if I needed a work permit, and legal advice I took before I came here said I didn't need a work permit to telecommute).

But I learnt from my Thai friends that I was very well off.  My weekly wage was more than my girlfriend's monthly office wage, and my appartment with pool and gym was the envy of all.  And I was a lot happier then than I am stuck back in the UK now.

Being nosey, cause i'm trying to get a feel for any risks involved in relocation:

You seemed to have it all initially, but how come you're stuck in the UK now? :o

Volunteer work for someone abroad, telecommuting - probably doesn't require a work permit. Volunteering where you'd "in theory, even if not in actuality" be taking a job from a Thai probably would.

I come back to the point where the application form for a work permit requires you to be working for a company registered in Thailand. If you're not, then how can you even apply for a work permit. (and Immigration, said I could telecommute on a non-O visa, which would have to change to non-B if I needed a work permit, and legal advice I took before I came here said I didn't need a work permit to telecommute).

bkk mike is all right here.

The only "hatch" when you literally not work in thailand, is you're visa.

You can stay on a 2+1 mth. touristvisa, but then what?

If you are happily married, with all the money in the right place, its another issue..... :o

Hi, yes you CAN get a job here if your prepared to work for less $$ and you do your job hunting on the ground in BKK. Your 56 so you'll have to be WELL qualified and be able to back it up.

I've never had a problem gaining work in IT in BKK... I've had to refuse offers many times... just come over and do it if your willing to really have a go.

There are many opportunities here if you want to own your own business. That is how I initially came to Thailand. I bought a business. Now I have Thai staff who run it and I am working full time doing something else and will earn in excess of 100,000 baht p/m doing that. I only got that job because I was here and knew the man offering the job.

So, my advice would be buy a business and work that. If you wish to move on after a year or so you can do what I have done, or sell it.

A business is the only option. But beware there are many scams around.

For no reason get involved in any business with Tip Top Thailand or Pattayalivecam. These are well know scams (see www.pattayascam.com) targetting people like you, with some money to spare and with wishes to live in paradise.

My best advice is to get in contact with the sponsor of this site SUNBELT ASIA. They will give you an option that better suit your requirements and pocket potential.