Helmets For Moto-taxis

The Gentleman Scamp

Sadly I often rely on motobike taxis when I need to get to the skytrain in the morning rush, and I feel I am risking my life every time.

I can't help wondering why many of the police insist that passengers and riders wear helmets, or 'lids' which is a more accurate description.

By the time I've adjusted the strap and fastened it I am at my destination, and it seems the only purpose these cheap, plastic bowls serve is to mess up my hair first thing in the morning. (When I had enough to mess up).

Motorbike taxis are as good as any ride at Alton Towers but nowhere near as safe, with or with out a lid, cause let's face it - if you come off a bike with or without one then your loved ones are going to have a devastating week ahead either way.

Not a bad idea... I was almost killed this morning when he squeezed past the front of a car and almost got clipped by a truck speeding past in the next lane which was active.

Has there ever been a case of a farang passenger being killed as a result of taking a motorbike taxi?

Sounds like a daft question but in 3 yrs I've never heard anything. :o

Several years, when I lived way back on a long soi, I would occasionally get stupid and take a ride with a moto geek. They kept an assortment of old "helmets" hanging on nearby tree branches. When I would ask to put one on my head for the 3-minute ride down the soi, they all of course laughed and used the all-purpose "mai pen rai". How silly of me to want to protect myself. Funny, funny farang. I refused then to get on one of their motos, and now I won't get on a moto in Bkk., even with a helmet, because I really hate the way they drive.

:D Yes, It does mess up ones hair. A pain isn't It? It seems all the time spent in front of the mirror is wasted. Have you tried hair lacquer? It helps, but I suppose, idealy, messed up hair is better than crushed skull. there is so much off it about, usually Thais,who have not got the message yet. Try a fancy pink helmet, it may be more acceptable to you, One with a quick release strap, A nice matching cravat would look good too, on your way to the staion. :o:D

If you use the service regularly, whi not buy your own helmet.

A lot cheaper than a stay in hospital.

Remember many insurance companies, like Blue Cross no longer cover accidents on motorcycles.

Has there ever been a case of a farang passenger being killed as a result of taking a motorbike taxi?

Sounds like a daft question but in 3 yrs I've never heard anything. :o

Funnily enough, in 15 years in Thailand I've never known anyone to get killed using motorpsycho taxis. Accidents yes, deaths no.

Have heard of plenty of guys getting killed on their own bikes though. Quite a few were killed simply when "just popping out for some ciggies from the 7-11".

Gazza