Health Insurance

jimbeam1

Hi Folks.

Can anyone help? I was reading a report on Thaivisa Insurance, about repercussions for expats and the NHS. Report filed 22/03/04.

It stated that if anyone was out of the UK for more than 3 months a year, that they would not be eligible fot NHS treatment. Unless it could be proven that they had returned to stay. It later stated I think if you are still paying UK Income tax you would be classed as resident.

As I intend to rent my house out when I come to Thailand. Therefore I will paying dear old UK tax, would I still qualify? Cheers.

Best regards

jb1

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/news/new-nhs...for-expats.html

Hi Folks.

Can anyone help? I was reading a report on Thaivisa Insurance, about repercussions for expats and the NHS. Report filed 22/03/04.

It stated that if anyone was out of the UK for more than 3 months a year, that they would not be eligible fot NHS treatment. Unless it could be proven that they had returned to stay. It later stated I think if you are still paying UK Income tax you would be classed as resident.

As I intend to rent my house out when I come to Thailand. Therefore I will paying dear old UK tax, would I still qualify? Cheers.

Best regards

jb1

[/quote

Hiya I made a mistake on http address.

I believe if you are out of the UK for more than 6 months you are no longer eligible for NHS treatment.

But if you return to the UK to resume residence you can get treatment from the day you return - ie you can't get free treatment if you just go for a holiday.

There doesn't seem to be any problem with returning to take up residence, having treatment and then changing your mind and leaving the UK again.

PS this has no connection to being resident or not for tax purposed.

Well if you read the letter from peter pallot in the thai visa insurance web page right at the bottom of his letter it tells you that if you pay income tax you are likely to be classed as a resident for tax purposes and classed as resident and therefore exempt from charges even if living abroad. :o

Hi Scotsman.

Yeah i did read that post by Peter Pallott. I thought ok good. Then I contacted my local health authority last week and was told that if I paid income tax and national insurance I would still be classed as non resident in the uk. Therefore only eligable for emergency haelth care?

Best regards. jb1

Hi jb1

Well if that is true then what are we paying income tax on our pensions for? I Have used my doctor in the uk many times and i still have a uk address. I will do my very best to cheat, lie, & bullshit This stupid law to get my national health service :o Because we are paying for it with many years of paying tax & national insurance and still paying. I don"t think any hospital in my part of Scotland will be asking to see your passport before treatment and if they did I would tell them I don't have one. If you are found out you can always tell them you have come home to live. :D

• 2 weeks later...

You are only classed as non resident if you complete all the necessary forms to inform the UK Inland Rebenue. Now, if you do that you should not in theory have to pay tax on any income including pensions. It will not affect NHS entitlement. As an ex Casualty nurse, I can tell you that no nurse or doctor will ask about residence status - that is something both proessions have declared a no-no. The odd (arnet they all odd ?) administrator may ask but you do not have to answer.

So OK you may pay tax on pension etc but keep a UK address - doesnt matter if you live there - you can be on hoiday abroad as long as you like, also keep registered with a GP at your address.

Oh and bby the way, if you have to go to casualty in UK and they ask your occupation, tell them you are a freelance investigative journalist - amazing how quickly you are seen !

If you tell the inland revenue your a non resident you will still have to pay income tax on your pension income its only bank account % thats tax free. I am happy to hear that hospital staff will not question a British citizen when he comes to hospital for treatment. I agree that its important to keep a uk address & a GP. I do hope in the future that this stupid law is amended so it keeps out the right people for the right reason to use the NHS not British citizens who have paid there way and are still doing so. :o