กอ ไก่ The Rhyme

Crow Boy

When Thai children learn the alphabet (อักษร or พยัญชนะ) they use a rhyme which helps them to remember the sequence. You may have seen the VCDs in various markets and if so you would be well advised to grab a copy. It is an oddly annoying but addictive form of learning. There are a couple of versions of the rhyme but they are all similar. My version uses four lines per character. It makes an interesting translation lessson and I definitely don't claim mine to be word perfect but it should be pretty good. You may want to learn the first line of each character and then come back after and learn the other three.

I hope this is useful for beginners and intermediate learners - anyone who can offer suggestions on translation alternatives please let me know. I have used the translitteration from Thai Dictionary Reader it seems to be the preferred choice on the forum. I am not used to this one but it looks to be pretty good.

ก ไก่

กอ เอ๋ย กอ ไก่ gaawM eeuyR gaawM gaiL

เลี่ยง ไว้ ไว้ ใน เล้า liiangM waiH naiM laoH

ขัน ปลุก พวกเรา chanM bplookL phuaakF raoM

ตื่น เช้า กัน เอย dteuunL khaoL ganM eeuyM

I translate this as:

G Hai! G Chicken

Keep in a coop

Crow to wake us

Wake the morning with a cry

===============

I will try to put up a new character each day

CB

Thanks I only found that site yesterday - it was suggested to use that translitteration as standard.

The site uses the first line which is commonly used by mothers to teach little children the first part of the rhyme - I think that it is a good way to learn the sequence. What I am hoping to do is to add some extra verses to make it the full set. It also uses a computer generated voice for the vocals which is great online but I would like to add the transliteration for us here. Makes it easier to print off and use to practice.

I wish I had that when I was trying to learn and translate it at Uni. We sat around in class and during breaks trying to emulate 6 year old kids much to the amusement of the Thai students in the Undergrad Wing. The thing was that they all remembered the song because it was so indoctrinated into them as children.

thanks

CB