California Wow

Pdaz

California WOW is finally open.... Can't complain about the facilities or the equipment... BUT... <deleted> THE MUSIC IS LOUD !!!

What did you say ?

THE MUSIC IS LOUD !!

No need to shout ..... :D

Funny guess the boss is confused and thinks the place is a disco not a gym...

Why is it that these days every business owner seems to think overly loud music is good for business... :o Don't know about other people but it drives me away... Anyone else been there for a workout ?.. What did you think..?.. Hope they are gonna reduce the volume cos go I there to relax and de-stress with some exercise not to come out with ear ache.... :D

Edited by Pdaz

I was up there too, and yes - its like the sound level of a metalica concert.

But that was not the worst. This pushy sales person wanted me to buy a year subscription and kept pulling my shirt and pushing me in the back, so eventually I told him that if he touch me again I would leave. 10 seconds later he put his hand on my bag and pushed me and bye bye... I left. He would have closed the sale if he had been able to keep his hands off me.

Fairtex here I come! :-)

California have always played loud music, and it was my main complaint to Eric Levine, (the boss), when he was in HK. They think it's good, and keeps the punters buzzy, but it seems ironic that you might get a fit body, but end up with deafness. I used to wear ear plugs. Unfortunately Thailand has taken noise pollution to a new level, BTS trains, platforms, shops selling "green" music, (the irony lost there too).

There have been many threads about California WOW on TV so if you search TV, you will find several posters who claimed they were offered a lifetime membership for 30,000. baht. Membership prices at CW appear to be very negotiable however I would not expect to see any club that offers lifetime memberships for a cheap price to stay in business for the long run.

California WOW is finally open.... Can't complain about the facilities or the equipment... BUT... <deleted> THE MUSIC IS LOUD !!!

What did you say ?

THE MUSIC IS LOUD !!

Why is it that these days every business owner seems to think overly loud music is good for business... :o Don't know about other people but it drives me away... Anyone else been there for a workout ?.. What did you think..?.. Hope they are gonna reduce the volume cos go I there to relax and de-stress with some exercise not to come out with ear ache.... :D

I used to hate loud music at gyms, but now I'm close to 50 I prefer the music loud.

Why?

My knees and sometimes other joints are way too noisy nowadays and when the music is loud I can't hear them. :D

What did you say ?

THE MUSIC IS LOUD !!

I used to hate loud music at gyms, but now I'm close to 50 I prefer the music loud.

Why?

My knees and sometimes other joints are way too noisy nowadays and when the music is loud I can't hear them. :D

Must admit I thought it might do the same for my Farting.... :D

What are their monthly rates? Just want to use the equipment, no classes or trainers.

No monthly deals, If they did nobody would re-subscribe !

Anyway, It's not the real McCoy, just a place where the girlies and ladyboys go to

wear their new leg warmers and touch up their makeup.

Naka.

Anyway, It's not the real McCoy, just a place where the girlies and ladyboys go to

Naka.

I can't believe that anyone (Farang) would consider this gym when there are so many real gym in Pattaya.

Having sales staff at gyms is just not right and a good indicator not to join...and this advice goes for gyms in any country.

Good gyms don't need sales staff. I find them about as irritating as real estate agents.

Edited by tropo

I am very impressed with my California Wow fitness membership. I love the place. I haven't seen the inside of the Pattaya club yet, but I'm impressed with the Bangkok clubs, especially the club at Asok. I was a little worried about the loud music at first, but quickly found it got me moving more and working out longer. This club is big on cardio, so the music seems to fit well. The music keeps me in the mood to push a little harder. If you're an old fogey who doesn't like this music, well then this is the first indication that this club is honestly just probably not for you. By the way, the music isn't as loud inside, but loudest at the front door it seems. Anyway, I'm a very pleased customer.

I am very impressed with my California Wow fitness membership. I love the place. I haven't seen the inside of the Pattaya club yet, but I'm impressed with the Bangkok clubs, especially the club at Asok. I was a little worried about the loud music at first, but quickly found it got me moving more and working out longer. This club is big on cardio, so the music seems to fit well. The music keeps me in the mood to push a little harder. If you're an old fogey who doesn't like this music, well then this is the first indication that this club is honestly just probably not for you. By the way, the music isn't as loud inside, but loudest at the front door it seems. Anyway, I'm a very pleased customer.

I wasn't too impressed with the center at Pat Pong in Bangkok. I wanted to do a casual workout but they wouldn't even let me see the gym until I had paid. I left immediately. I can't remember their casual rate, but it was very high.

I've always wondered if the employees suffer permanent hearing loss from long term exposure to music over 90 decibels. I've also always wondered if the owner, Eric Levine, ever confronts this issue during the daily meditations he likes to brag about in every article I've read about him......

Actually I suspect I know the answer.....

Naka.

I can't believe that anyone (Farang) would consider this gym when there are so many real gym in Pattaya.

Having sales staff at gyms is just not right and a good indicator not to join...and this advice goes for gyms in any country.

Good gyms don't need sales staff. I find them about as irritating as real estate agents.

Ok. What are better options. I've used Universal Gym (Pattaya Beach Rd.) and Chevon Gym (Soi Day-Nite 2) and neither meets my expectations. Tony's Gym locations don't work for me.

Ok. What are better options. I've used Universal Gym (Pattaya Beach Rd.) and Chevon Gym (Soi Day-Nite 2) and neither meets my expectations. Tony's Gym locations don't work for me.

If Tony's Gym locations don't work for you, then neither will California Wow because they are all within about a 1 km radius of each other.

Why would anyone expect a top class gym to be at their doorstep anyway?

Check out the new Castra Praetoria Gym in the East Pattaya area if that is a suitable location for you. I haven't seen it, but they seem very professional.

There's a banner at the top of this page.

Unfortunately there aren't really any other 'decent' gyms in Pattaya in central location with new equipment, decent aircon and expensive enough not to be crouded.

I used to train at Universe beach Rd a few years back.. Handy location, easy parking and I could run/jog along the 'boardwalk' after my workout.. After that moved to Sukumvit I continued to train there but after it changed hands the whole place started to go down hill.. Few customers and the equipment was starting to show it's age.. I tried several of the smaller gyms around town (including Tony's) but again all had either old and worn equipment or not enough gear so it was hard to complete a circuit without having to wait for the station to become available either that or too many Gays..

I joined Fairtex when it opened.. Nice facilities, good staff and good equipment.. Unfortunately the usual issues let it down.. 1, The Thai staff get cold just standing around so they would adjust the A/C up to 26-28 deg... When you went in to train you'd be sweating like a rapist withing minutes.. If I wanted a none A/C gym there are plenty around and a lot cheaper than Fairtex.. Issue No 2 was once again music.. :o The Thai staff liked to play music that they liked.. ie Hip Hop and cRap As most of the customers were in their late 30's - 40's it pissed alot of people off.. Background music should suit the paying customer not the staff.. :D

So Once my Fairtex membership expired I didn't bother re-newing it.

So now to California WOW.. Had a good look around yesterday.. Yes the music is fractionally quieter than downstairs... But it was still so loud I couldn't hear my own Ipod ! I am also concerned about hearing loss.. Industrial deafness is a big issue in my industry and the thought of spending 1-2 hrs a day in an 80 decible + enviroment is not very encouraging.. Guess it's gonna be earplugs or working out in my backyard..

Oh and by the way I'm not an 'old fogey' either.. unless ya think 32 is old ?

I might have to check out the Castra Praetoria Gym .. Maybe they still believe in pleasing the customer ?

Edited by Pdaz

Is the music inside the Pattaya California Wow gym (I mean in the workout area) as loud as they play at the entrance?

Believe it or not what they are playing upstairs is LOUDER... and they have speakers placed at head height (farang height) every 3-4 meters along the walls.. If they didn't have the exercise equipment you'd think the place was fitted out as a nightclub... Also noticed that they have TV screens on the running machines... so you can watch Channel V or some such <deleted>....

The one in Chiang Mai has the loud music AND the tv's on the cardio equipment do not have earphone jacks. Each tv is blaring a different channel on its own speakers.....

I bought a five year all club membership for 10K baht total last year from a friend leaving Thailand so I stop into all of them every once in a while.

Homepro sells foam earplugs for 9 baht a pair in the building supply/tools/dust mask area. Makes it almost bearable.

I tried several of the smaller gyms around town (including Tony's) but again all had either old and worn equipment or not enough gear so it was hard to complete a circuit without having to wait for the station to become available either that or too many Gays..

I would just like to correct a few errors. Tony's gyms are NOT small.

There is a brand new Tony's Gym opposite the main gym on 3rd Road. New equipment, good aircon.

The main Tony's Gym on 3rd Road has a dedicated fitness room, also well airconditioned.

There is another new Tony's Gym on Soi 16 near Walking Street. It's huge with lots of very good equipment....and they have a large fitness area upstairs loaded with treadmills, bikes and steppers.

If you don't like training with gays then you're better off training at home.

If Tony's Gym locations don't work for you, then neither will California Wow because they are all within about a 1 km radius of each other.

Why would anyone expect a top class gym to be at their doorstep anyway?

Check out the new Castra Praetoria Gym in the East Pattaya area if that is a suitable location for you. I haven't seen it, but they seem very professional.

There's a banner at the top of this page.

I am currently limited to gym locations near the baht bus routes. That restriction will change later when I have a car.

I am currently limited to gym locations near the baht bus routes. That restriction will change later when I have a car.

Tony's Gyms are on 3rd Road...is that not a baht bus route?

If that doesn't work, there's the gym on Soi 16 which runs off Walking Street (left) just after Tony's disco. That's pretty close to the baht bus route that runs up Pratumnak Road.

I tried several of the smaller gyms around town (including Tony's) but again all had either old and worn equipment or not enough gear so it was hard to complete a circuit without having to wait for the station to become available either that or too many Gays..

I would just like to correct a few errors. Tony's gyms are NOT small.

There is a brand new Tony's Gym opposite the main gym on 3rd Road. New equipment, good aircon.

The main Tony's Gym on 3rd Road has a dedicated fitness room, also well airconditioned.

There is another new Tony's Gym on Soi 16 near Walking Street. It's huge with lots of very good equipment....and they have a large fitness area upstairs loaded with treadmills, bikes and steppers.

If you don't like training with gays then you're better off training at home.

Tony's is the best gym for weight lifting w/o a doubt

But it does not compare to a place like Fairtex that offers so much more of everything a fitness should have . You just need to be able to afford the membership fees:)

Also keeps the rifraff out of the place.

But it does not compare to a place like Fairtex that offers so much more of everything a fitness should have . You just need to be able to afford the membership fees:)

The last time I checked out Fairtex it was a small gym...have they expanded in the last 18 months?

Please explain what fitness equipment a gym should have that Tony's does not?

The last time I checked out Fairtex it was a small gym...have they expanded in the last 18 months?

A request for info if you don't mind, I'll be coming to Pattaya for a month early next year are there any Gyms with monthly membership, failing that is there any swimming pools for lap training

Thanks in advance Traveller 33

A request for info if you don't mind, I'll be coming to Pattaya for a month early next year are there any Gyms with monthly membership, failing that is there any swimming pools for lap training

Thanks in advance Traveller 33

I'm a lap trainer myself. I'm lucky now because I have a 30m pool at my apartment complex....but there is a nice undercover lap pool at the Thai Garden Resort on Pattaya Nua (Pattaya North Road). It's quite narrow having only 4 full lanes and 25m in length. Aparently you can use it around the clock. I used to go there about 10pm at night and I never had to share it.

Thai Garden Resort

You go into the resort reception and pay them 100 baht to use it.

Most gyms have reasonable monthly rates. Tony's Gym charges 100 baht for casual visit...I'm not sure the monthly rate, but they vary at each of his 4 gyms. I use the Soi 16 gym....I'll check out the monthly rate when I'm there next and report back here.

Edited by tropo

• A lap pool , not the BS little pool at Tony's that is overloaded with chlorine

• Clean locker rooms where you do not have to worry about low life scum robbing your stuff or having to dress next to the urinals, like at Tony's
  • Machines that are laid out properly with enough space between them , not dumped in rooms that were designed as apartments then retrofitted into a gym
  • More than one dingy lit tennis or badmiton court/basketball court
  • Not loaded with beach road freaks lounging around playing the role
  • Membership should include use of all the facilites and no BS surcharges like lighting the basketball after 7pm
  • Prolly a few more things also

• A lap pool , not the BS little pool at Tony's that is overloaded with chlorine

• Clean locker rooms where you do not have to worry about low life scum robbing your stuff or having to dress next to the urinals, like at Tony's
  • Machines that are laid out properly with enough space between them , not dumped in rooms that were designed as apartments then retrofitted into a gym
  • More than one dingy lit tennis or badmiton court/basketball court
  • Not loaded with beach road freaks lounging around playing the role
  • Membership should include use of all the facilites and no BS surcharges like lighting the basketball after 7pm
  • Prolly a few more things also

I kinda liked ''membership costs high enough to keep the riff raff out''

That sums up why I didn't bother with Tony's... Your right about exercise equip just dumped in rooms too.. I can't knock the value for money but it''s just not the sort of place I want to train in... Universe on Beach Rd was much better IMHO...