Visarun Savannakhet

Yes, there is a Consulate there!

And here is the address:

LAOS (Lao People's Democratic Republic) SAVANNAKHET (Temporary Office)

Nanhai Hotel, 5th Floor Latsavongseuk Road

Ban Sounantha Khanthabouly District

Savannakhet Province P.O. Box 459, Lao P.D.R.

Tel. & Fax : (Direct Line) (007-856-41) 212370

Tel. (Via Hotel) (007-856-41) 212371 Ext. 3506, 3507, 3138, 3111

Edited by kenkannif

Has anyone applied for a Non B visa in savannakhet Laos? What can you tell me? And is there actually a consulate there?

Just be wary of the "dragon lady" that runs the place. In all my travels, it's the only place where I had my passport literally thrown at me when I went to pick it up. She must be well connected to her job, because she's been the subject of numerous complaints. The first time I entered the office, she was in the midst of a tirade she was levelling at some poor hapless Lao. Adds a whole new dimension to the term "customer service".

Darn it, I thought it was Vientienne that had the dragon lady as well.....possibly twins do you think?

Having been to both consulate...Savannaket is far worse. :D

are you sure its Savannaket???? the consul in Savannaket are run by two very nice man, as the matter of fact they are most helpful the last time i went there to get my visa ... (and the last time was just last month) maybe its not the people that work there who have attittude problem, maybe its ........... :o

are you sure its Savannaket???? the consul in Savannaket are run by two very nice man, as the matter of fact they are most helpful the last time i went there to get my visa ... (and the last time was just last month) maybe its not the people that work there who have attittude problem, maybe its ........... :o

hahaha...yes, I'm quite certain as to where I go when I travel. :D

As with any government posting, personnel are subject to change and so it seems apparently that the dragon lady is there no more. That is a tremendous improvement to all who utilize the consulate as evidently she had been there for decades abusing customers. I have not been there after my initial visit as I was too turned off. If the new guys are nice, then wonderful.

btw, I find your insinuations extremely humorous... totally erroneous, but then.. that's what makes them so funny. :D

are you sure its Savannaket???? the consul in Savannaket are run by two very nice man, as the matter of fact they are most helpful the last time i went there to get my visa ... (and the last time was just last month) maybe its not the people that work there who have attittude problem, maybe its ...........  :o

hahaha...yes, I'm quite certain as to where I go when I travel. :D

As with any government posting, personnel are subject to change and so it seems apparently that the dragon lady is there no more. That is a tremendous improvement to all who utilize the consulate as evidently she had been there for decades abusing customers. I have not been there after my initial visit as I was too turned off. If the new guys are nice, then wonderful.

btw, I find your insinuations extremely humorous... totally erroneous, but then.. that's what makes them so funny. :D

you definitely have some attitude problem ... :D ... :D ... :wub:

you definitely have some attitude problem ...  :D  ...  :o ...  :D

The only thing definite is that you are making unfounded, judgemental, snide comments about someone you don't know at all in a totally unjustified manner. If I were to utilize the same reasoning trait as you, my response might come out something like:

"Yeah, I got an attitude problem with some inexperienced, unworldly, overpaid, farang, non-contributory to Thailand pseudo-teacher female talking about that which knows little about."

But since I'm not you, I will not say those things and simply state that you should keep any unnecessary personal comments to yourself.

May Peace be with you.

:D

Darn it, I thought it was Vientienne that had the dragon lady as well.....possibly twins do you think?

Having been to both consulate...Savannaket is far worse. :D

The MFA says that there are three women and two men assigned to Savannakhet but perhaps they are not up to date:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1870.php?depcode=22930100

As promised:

I just got back and sad to say that I only got a single entry B visa. The visa was easy to get, no dragon lady, just some young guy who was pretty helpful. He requested even more documents than what I had but I just pleaded ignorance. He couldn't explain to me in English what the documents were so I just kept a vacant look on my face.

Hooray for the apparent demise of the Dragon Lady. :D

How was the boat ride across the river? On my trip back, the motor died and we ended up drifting down with the current on the Mekhong for awhile... I was wondering where I could get the appropriate Cambodian visa if that became necessary. :o

Are there any signs of construction for the new bridge yet?

May I ask why you ended up going there? Are you staying up in Issan? Mukdahan is defintely off the beaten track, but I liked it very much.

<Well here's some more info from another chap:

Just returned from Laos. I barely got my visa as I didn't have any transcripts for them. I agreed to fax them this week, and I got my single entry visa in three hours:)

<I then asked him what he need to do>

Thanks. Yeah, they wanted transcripts and a resume with no chronological gaps. I'll also fax copies of certificates. And there were no dragon lady, actually the consul himself was a very pleasant character:)

<and this is a continuation of the one yesterday, it wasn't me that went>

As for getting there and back it's a bit of a journey and buses seem to only depart from BKK in the evening, as do the buses from Mukdahan. I wasn't gonna hang around all day for the next bus so I caught a bus from Mukdahan to Khon Kaen and another from Khon Kean to BKK. A 13 hour return journey wasn't what I would call an enjoyable experience.

<I'll certainly ask them about the bridge though mate>

I told them to go there as Vientienne is becoming harder and harder and I thought this place might be easier!