Female Japanese Tourist Robbed And Murdered In Sukhothai

sriracha john

Japanese tourist slain at ancient capital

SUKHOTHAI: -- A Japanese tourist was slain and robbed over the weekend while visiting Thailand's ancient capital of Sukhothai during Loy Krathong, or the Water Candle festival, police said Monday.

The body of the tourist, identified only by her first name Nomoko, was found with her throat slashed and her possessions stolen Sunday in the grass at the side of the road leading to one of the more remote ruins of the Sukhothai cultural heritage site.

Police said the woman rented a bicycle on Saturday to visit a temple on the outskirts of the main Sukhothai complex, a UNESCO Heritage Site.

Sukhothai Police Chief Major General Thirrin Padungchiwit ordered a manhunt for the perpetrators of the murder. "This is a priority case because it has damaged the reputation of Sukhothai and the entire country," said Thirrin.

The ancient ruins of Sukhothai, which was Thailand's main kingdom between 1250 to 1376, is a major tourist draw during the Loy Krathong festival, observed in Thailand on the night of the full moon in November by floating small vessels with candles and decorations in lakes, ponds and rivers to carry away one's sins.

-- DPA 2007-11-26

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Japanese woman murdered in northern Thailand

BANGKOK: — A female Japanese tourist has been found murdered in an ancient city in northern Thailand, police said Monday. Tomoko Kawashita was found dead Sunday afternoon near the tourist spot "Sukhothai Historical Park" in Thailand's ancient capital of Sukhothai, police said. She had been stabbed with a knife.

Police said Kawashita was staying in a guesthouse in the Muangkao district of the city and had rented a bicycle early Sunday morning for sightseeing in the park. Komchadluek, a local newspaper, reported Kawashita had about 3,000 baht (about $96) in her pocket when her body was found.

--Japan Today 2007-11-26

Ive posted several times how Japanese women are targets in this country. My own girlfriend has been vicimised many times and her friends have been raped and or robbed. One left for dead on the side of the road, guess she should be thankful her throat wasn't slashed and she could recover after a 2 month hospital stay.

Damian

Sukhothai Police Chief Major General Thirrin Padungchiwit ordered a manhunt for the perpetrators of the murder. "This is a priority case because it has damaged the reputation of Sukhothai and the entire country," said Thirrin.

In a massive understatement. It does damage the nation. Unfortunate.

it' horrible news :o

Yes but thats how Thailand has Become. I was bottled a few months ago and the police are so frightened of immigration and embassy problems where I live that not only did the local Chief of Police get involved but the Karat Chief of Police and the Most senior police man from Bangkok. They wanted to incarcerate the three people for ever. However one had a visa to go to India which has been removed He was only 18 years old with a string of offences and he will be under direct supervision for 5 Years on my request. Any wrong doing and he is gone into the full Thailand Justice system the Two outhers both got 10 years. So much for no Justice for us. There is if you act properly. By the way unprovoked attack.

Yes Thailand Young I brought up with no Discipline and belive they can do what they want. But I think Thailand as a country is now stamping on this. All police involved have told me you have any problems just tell people you are part of my family. Yes and no bribe I offered and was flatly refused.

Maybe helps I have Yellow Book seems to make the police stand up.

Dreadful dreadful news. She rents a bicycle, goes to a holy temple full of the joys of life...only to be brutally murdered with her throat slashed. The cruelty and horror of it all. These despicable acts are not uncommon now in the LOS, and due in all probabability to Ya Ba...cheap and nasty drug. To lose your life for such a few Baht is unthinkable and must be the work of a madman. Deepest sympathies to her family.

The days of foreigners and farangs being the novelty guests here in Thailand are long gone I'm afraid.

The rot set in a good few years back.

It's a lot colder now and I don't mean the weather either.

Now we're seen more as an lower classed citizen and outsider. This mentality is what drives the bad folk who want our cash and will kill to get it.:o

I hope this asshol_e gets whats coming to him.

The days of foreigners and farangs being the novelty guests here in Thailand are long gone I'm afraid.

The rot set in a good few years back.

It's a lot colder now and I don't mean the weather either.

Now we're seen more as an lower classed citizen and outsider. This mentality is what drives the bad folk who want our cash and will kill to get it. :o

I hope this asshol_e gets whats coming to him.

one problem after another,all the kingdom needs coming up to the busiest tourist season ,i think a few more people will stop coming here ,this is one of the worst years for crime since i've been here ,and taksins not even in the country ,this poor girl is somebodys daughter ,my heart felt sympathys go out to them .........

Japanese woman murdered in northern Thailand

BANGKOK: — A female Japanese tourist has been found murdered in an ancient city in northern Thailand, police said Monday. Tomoko Kawashita was found dead Sunday afternoon near the tourist spot "Sukhothai Historical Park" in Thailand's ancient capital of Sukhothai, police said. She had been stabbed with a knife.

Police said Kawashita was staying in a guesthouse in the Muangkao district of the city and had rented a bicycle early Sunday morning for sightseeing in the park. Komchadluek, a local newspaper, reported Kawashita had about 3,000 baht (about $96) in her pocket when her body was found.

--Japan Today 2007-11-26

This is beyond any imagination.

Murdered, slaughtered is a better but disgusting word, during daylight. I can understand a robbery (she still had money on her...) but a senseless brutal murder is so scary; what harm was she to her perpetrator(s) ?

I doubt (like someone mentioned) that she was thought to be a Thai Lady. Japanese tourists usually don't dress like Thai women in rural areas.

I hope the police will arrest the murderer(s) and sentence him/them to life.

May she rest in peace. :o

This will be a big blow for Japanese tourism to Thailand as it will be big headlines.

LaoPo

Japanese tourist found dead near Thai ruins: police

BANGKOK: A Japanese tourist was stabbed to death during a visit to northern Thailand to take part in a traditional water festival, police said Monday.

The body of Tomoko Kawashita, 27, from Osaka was discovered over the weekend near the ruins of the kingdom's ancient capital Sukhothai, 425 kilometres (265 miles) north of Bangkok, police said.

She had been robbed, and her body was found lying next to the bicycle she had rented to do her sightseeing, police said.

"She was stabbed to death when the attacker tried to rob her. She resisted and ran away, but then he caught her and slashed her throat with a knife," said police Lieutenant Colonel Amornsak Khemasiri.

Sukhothai was the capital of a kingdom that is considered a predecessor to modern Thailand.

The ruins of the 14th century temples are a major tourist attraction, especially during the annual Loy Krathong festival held last weekend, when Thais place floating candles in rivers and ponds to pray to a water goddess.

- AFP

Edited by sriracha john

Japanese tourist murdered in Sukhothai historical park

BANGKOK: -- Loy Krathong is perhaps the most beautiful of Thailand's ancient ceremonies still practised today, but it ended badly for a young Japanese woman in her mid-twenties, found dead near the Sukhothai historical park Sunday.

Tomoko Kawashita, 27, from Osaka, had her neck slashed and was stabbed in her torso with a sharp object. The young woman, who had rented a bicycle to tour the scenic ruins, was found with some 3,000 baht cash (about US$90) but her passport and purse were missing.

Local police began the investigation on the presumption that the victim may have been raped.

Forensic experts expect to take about two weeks for further examination of possible traces of semen and tissues from her assailant from her nails to identify the DNA coordinates of her attacker.

Her body was found in a wooded area near an ancient temple in the Sukhothai historical park, about 400 kilometres north of Bangkok on Sunday afternoon, following the annual Loy Krathong festival, which draws tourists from around the world to Sukhothai.

The Institute of Forensic Medicine at Police General Hospital in Bangkok is supervising the autopsy.

--TNA 2007-11-26

Dreadful dreadful news. She rents a bicycle, goes to a holy temple full of the joys of life...only to be brutally murdered with her throat slashed. The cruelty and horror of it all. These despicable acts are not uncommon now in the LOS, and due in all probabability to Ya Ba...cheap and nasty drug. To lose your life for such a few Baht is unthinkable and must be the work of a madman. Deepest sympathies to her family.

Her activities prior to her slaying have nothing to do with the crime save for any part they may play in the sequence of events. Putting into that context is just a lot of sentimental crapola.

Lost cause, old boy. When it comes to personal security, civil rights and due process of law, Thailand is one of the biggest jokes on the planet.

Of course this is a priority case. This normally means that a hotshot from Bangkok will order that the culprit must be caught within a week or so. As the Thai judicial system is even rotter than that of any other banana republic, it means that they'll catch a sucker without money and without lawyer who will get the jackpot, being life or a death sentence. Who cares?

"This is a priority case because it has damaged the reputation of Sukhothai and the entire country,"

Not because somebody is dead - so that's OK then.

yeah right ! No one is particularly concerned that that a young woman has been slain. ONLY that it has damaged the reputation of Sukhothai (and the whole country)

They will take the tourists money and the rest is unimportant.

It is a very sick society that we are living in here :o

I am sorry, I too should have said that my condolences go to this young lady's family. What should have been a wonderful experience in her young life was completely taken away by some mindless scum.

May she "rest in peace"

Edited by john b good

"This is a priority case because it has damaged the reputation of Sukhothai and the entire country,"

My thought exactly.

An innocent,probably sweet Japanese girl in the prime of life

brutally murdered. So very sorry for her and her family!

As noted, this is the lead story for a major Japanese news organization.... with quotes going near the top of the Japanese government....

LEAD STORY: Japanese woman found killed in northern Thailand

BANGKOK - A female Japanese tourist has been found murdered in a city in northern Thailand, police said Monday.

Tomoko Kawashita was found dead Sunday afternoon near the Sukhothai Historical Park in the ancient Thai capital of Sukhothai, the police said. She had been stabbed with a knife.

The police said Kawashita was staying in a guesthouse in the Muangkao district of the city and had rented a bicycle early Sunday morning for sightseeing in the park.

In Tokyo, Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Nobutaka Machimura said Kawashita was 27 years old and lived in Osaka.

The Japanese Embassy in Thailand was notified of the death by police authorities on Monday morning and sent staff to a local hospital where the body had been taken to confirm the victim's identity, Machimura told a regular press conference.

Komchadluek, a local newspaper, reported that Kawashita had about 3,000 baht ($96) in her pocket when her body was found. The police said they suspect she was robbed and murdered.

- Kyodo News (Japan)

Definitive isn’t it brother. In English this is saying they really only care when something affects them directly. The ole' saving face issue manifested like a trump card before a negative image can be created in the mind of a brain washed citizen. Given that one reporter cannot speak for a people as a whole. As well, this might not be a correct translation. Me and you just might be lost in translation and got them all wrong. Too bad drugs were not found at the scene or they just might be a little more feeling.

That poor little girl, If there is a God I hope she is taking care of the little one by removing her fear, torment, and pain. I hope everyone who reads about this takes a minute to think about how frightened, helpless, and alone she must have been in her last hour. And not thinking about their tourism, there image, what race she was, or that she was a tourist. She was some body’s neighbor, sister, and daughter that just wanted to take a bike ride to see something pretty down by the water. That is the tragedy not there image.

its not a good thing a tourist got murdered. but japanese tourist are targeted for crime a lot in hawaii, every so often one gets killed, always a gurl.

what puzzles me is how is thailands reputation is tarnished. does it have a pristine reputation now in the worlds eyes.

"She was stabbed to death when the attacker tried to rob her. She resisted and ran away, but then he caught her and slashed her throat with a knife," said police Lieutenant Colonel Amornsak Khemasiri.

Did he have a video of the attack? How does he know the sequence of events in such detail? :o

Poor girl. I hope Japanese newspapers splash this all over their front pages.

That poor little girl, If there is a God I hope she is taking care of the little one by removing her fear, torment, and pain. I hope everyone who reads about this takes a minute to think about how frightened, helpless, and alone she must have been in her last hour. And not thinking about their tourism, there image, what race she was, or that she was a tourist. She was some body’s neighbor, sister, and daughter that just wanted to take a bike ride to see something pretty down by the water. That is the tragedy not there image.

But this is what most people don't want to think about because it's too painful and brings tears to the eyes. May she rest in peace.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Unfortunately the big yaba crackdown of a few years ago seems to have had little lasting effect inspite of numerous deaths and 'executions'.The lure of 'big' money seems to be all that drives most Thais.Many would go to any lengths and indeed risks to get this.I don't see this situation changing in a hurry.

My girlfriend says several of her friends have been attacked and even raped.She herself had her hand bag snatched by a passing motorcycle duo last year.She has no confidence in the police protecting her or arresting the culprits.Thai women are not safe from attack.Japanese women are very much in the same situation when out solo.

Japanese tourist found dead near Thai ruins: police

She had been robbed, and her body was found lying next to the bicycle she had rented to do her sightseeing, police said.

- AFP

She ran away ??? Did she carry the bicycle , she was found "next too" ???

Very poorly reported. As usual

May she rest in peace, and her family have the strength to get through this horrible ordeal.

Japanese tourist murdered in Sukhothai historical park

BANGKOK: -- Loy Krathong is perhaps the most beautiful of Thailand's ancient ceremonies still practised today, but it ended badly for a young Japanese woman in her mid-twenties, found dead near the Sukhothai historical park Sunday.

Tomoko Kawashita, 27, from Osaka, had her neck slashed and was stabbed in her torso with a sharp object. The young woman, who had rented a bicycle to tour the scenic ruins, was found with some 3,000 baht cash (about US$90) but her passport and purse were missing.

Local police began the investigation on the presumption that the victim may have been raped.

Forensic experts expect to take about two weeks for further examination of possible traces of semen and tissues from her assailant from her nails to identify the DNA coordinates of her attacker.

Her body was found in a wooded area near an ancient temple in the Sukhothai historical park, about 400 kilometres north of Bangkok on Sunday afternoon, following the annual Loy Krathong festival, which draws tourists from around the world to Sukhothai.

The Institute of Forensic Medicine at Police General Hospital in Bangkok is supervising the autopsy.

--TNA 2007-11-26

possible the killer/killers were disturbed and fled the scene sad loss of such a young life RIP :o