Australian Immigration Visa Requirements.

Our documents were translated by Thai brother in-law. He spoke and wrote good English, had a high ranking position in Government run company and just used the stamp to say his level and the company he worked for to endorse the documents translated.

These translated documents were accepted by the embassy. Saved us a lot of money in translation fees. I am not really quite sure what is a certified translator in Thailand.

I just add this because of the cost saving that you can make finding out if someone in the family can do this for you and is accepted by the embassy.

There is nobody in my wifes family that could do as you mentioned. I have used a tranlation service near the Oz emabassy a few times before but I dare say with all the tranlating required they would be expensive. Also then I had to go to the ministry of fareign affairs for certification. This is also timeconsuming and costly.

Does anyone have any recommendation for certified translaters in Bangkok that are reliable and not so expensive.

I see a big job ahead of me when I go for my "holiday" there in feb

Apple got hers translated and certified at a translation service for about 400THB per sheet.

Carl for what you are planning you only need to have Thai documents translated to English...lets not confuse issues here.

Edited by gburns57au

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one should complain about costs in Bangkok for translation services. In Australia you would be paying AUD80 per A4 page or more in some cases.

You are right there. Earlier this year I pad $80 just to get my thai marriage certificate tranlated into english. I will check out the Bangkok Post as advised.

Thanks

When it comes time to have documents translated from Thai to English in Australia.......dont do it in Oz....

Send the docs back to a family member and get them to do it and send the docs back to you.

Even with postage it would be cheaper.

This would be a good estimate of the costs involved when applying in Bangkok.

Translation and typing of documents including photocopies as required. 3000THB

Medical 2200THB

Photographs passport size 300THB for 3.

Bank cheque 20THB

Visa Fee 40870 THB Note DIAC currency converter is used it is not the same as the Thai bank rate.

VFS service fee 535THB.

On top of that you will have transport costs and incidental expenses.

Medical 2200THB

Bank cheque 20THB

Visa Fee 40870 THB Note DIAC currency converter is used it is not the same as the Thai bank rate.

VFS service fee 535THB.

I will be paying the fee here in Canberra before going over in feb. Get it out of the way early. I spoke with immigration here on monday and if lodged in BKK the fee is approx $1400 but if lodged in Oz its arouond $2000. No matter the costs Im sure it will be allworth it in the long run

Medical 2200THB

Bank cheque 20THB

VFS service fee 535THB.

I will be paying the fee here in Canberra before going over in feb. Get it out of the way early. I spoke with immigration here on monday and if lodged in BKK the fee is approx $1400 but if lodged in Oz its arouond $2000. No matter the costs Im sure it will be allworth it in the long run

Visa Application Fee. Application lodged outside Australia AUD1390. As you will be in Thailand only THB will be accepted.

CC cards are not accepted at VFS. However you can pay the AUD1390 at a DIAC office before you leave for Thailand.

The cost in Thailand is not fixed as it varies with the FX rate.

Medical 2200THB

Bank cheque 20THB

VFS service fee 535THB.

The current cost for the visa application alone is 42350 baht from Thailand.....this relates at todays bank rate as about 1495 Aus....as against the fee if paid in Oz at $1390. This was taken from todays rates and the currency calculator rate of exchange on the Immi site will change at the end of December. Carl, as the application is being lodged in Thailand then the $1390 fee applies.

this is the VFS fees....

VFS Service charge of 500 THB plus 7% VAT is applicable per passport. For children below 12 years a service charge of 350 THB plus 7% VAT per passport is applicable. Additional charges apply for courier services. Payment through credit cards is not accepted by the Australian Visa Application Centre.

The translation fee is dependent on how much needs doing, so that cant be quoted.

Visa Application Fee. Application lodged outside Australia AUD1390. As you will be in Thailand only THB will be accepted.

CC cards are not accepted at VFS. However you can pay the AUD1390 at a DIAC office before you leave for Thailand.

The cost in Thailand is not fixed as it varies with the FX rate.

The cost in Thailand is fixed by DIAC. And it is no surprise that it is more expensive.

If it was done at todays rate it would only cost....40158 baht.....instead of 42350 baht

Then explain why my wife paid the fee as calculated on the website and 3 months later my mate paid the same fee, even though the exchange rate has changed dramatically.

Are you per chance a DIAC employee David ??

Edited by gburns57au

Pay it in Australia if you can.

I'm now in Thailand and paid the A$1390, less than a week ago in Melbourne and am happy that at least that's one thing out of the way that I need not concern about any more!!!

P.S. AND by paying in AUS on my Visa Card, there's another 1390 QF Frequent Flyer points to use getting backward and forward

to here.

Edited by fishhooks

The cheapst we could get was 250 baht a page at the Thai passport office on the way to the Don Maun airport and that was to come back the next day. 400 -500 baht was the average in Bangkok to translate.

We got one quote in Chiang Rai, it was about 1000 baht a page; there a bit slicker the certifyed translators in Chiang Rai then the up town types from Bangkok. Brother in law cheaper, case of singha.

I didn't know you could pay in Oz. When we paid in Bangkok they took the previous 3 month period as the rate of exchange. The going rate at the time was around 31 baht as to thier offical rate of 26-27 baht. Bit of a difference?

Then explain why my wife paid the fee as calculated on the website and 3 months later my mate paid the same fee, even though the exchange rate has changed dramatically.

Bank of Thailand Average selling rate 11/12/2007 for the AUD is 30.094THB

The day when our application was filed it was 40870THB and the sell rate for the dollar (sell AUD buy THB) in Thailand was 28.08THB at the Bangkok Bank FX counter. It does vary and they ensure that you will never pay less than 1390AUD.

Check the fee at VFS before you submit your application. I telephoned them to confirm.

Bank of Thailand Average selling rate 11/12/2007 for the AUD is 30.094THB

The day when our application was filed it was 40870THB and the sell rate for the dollar (sell AUD buy THB) in Thailand was 28.08THB at the Bangkok Bank FX counter. It does vary and they ensure that you will never pay less than 1390AUD.

Check the fee at VFS before you submit your application. I telephoned them to confirm.

And that was over two years ago.....right??

Things change on a daily basis at Immigration....what may have been then is not necessarily the same now.

So you paid $1455 for yours ....But I also believe the application fee has gone up since then.

But please explain why in the last 3 months the fee in Baht hasnt changed when the FX market has.

I have just confirmed with my friend who paid his in BKK last week....he paid 42350 the same as my wife paid three months ago which was the websites calculation...This says to me that the calculation on the website is the fee that is charged in BKK in Thai Baht. This calculation is reset every 6 months at a rate that is profitable to the department....in the event of an extreme change in the exchange rate they reserve the right to vary the rate.

Edited by gburns57au

You don't think they keep changing the goal posts!

I just think the facility to use a credit card linked to Oz from Bangkok could be done. If not why not. I did my banking from Chiang Rai!

That's why we can vent our frustrations here. Maybe someone will (AussieBob) take it on?

GB you can now give em heaps, you got it!

I just think the facility to use a credit card linked to Oz from Bangkok could be done. If not why not. I did my banking from Chiang Rai!

That's why we can vent our frustrations here. Maybe someone will (AussieBob) take it on?

Yeah but now I got no gripe with them.......bugger..... :o

Yeah but now I got no gripe with them.......bugger..... :D

:o:D :D

Why don't we all have a group hug and just agree that it is CHEAPER and EASIER to pay the $1390 here in Oz

Because most people pay it at the VFS office in Bangkok and we need to know how the system works.

The fee is set in Australia at $1390 AUD. When paid in Thailand it needs to be payed in Thai Baht as we all know. The DIAC website has a calculator where you can convert it into Thai baht. The calculator seems to use a rate that was set as of 1st July.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/partner.htm

As for being cheaper and easier, guess that all depends on the exchange rate on the day. As for easier, that is also debatable too as the application in most cases will be submitted in Thailand. Although the site says you can pay in Aus, can you submit an app without payment in BKK?

You will always pay more (in AUD terms) than in Australia the reason is that DIAC hedge the FX rate at a much higher amount than the official daily rate set by the Bank. This is fixed for short period and is reassesed at regular intervals.

If you pay in Australia the fee is fixed at 1390AUD. If you pay in Bangkok the fee is in THB and all visa fees are displayed at VFS office. The amount shown is the amount one pays in THB.

Only THB is accepted and one cannot pay by CC. Bank cheque is the preferred method.

ChrLadAll i'm suggesting is if you are currently in Oz then it is easier to pay with your credit card here but you must ATTACH the RECEIPT to the application when lodged in Bangkok.

And from what Ive been told make sure you keep a copy of the receipt in case it gets lost or detached from application

I have an Oz friend who is also applying for a spouse visa for his missus. They married in Oz whilst on a tourist visa so officially in Oz she has his surname. Does his wife need to go and get her ID and passport changed to reflect their Oz marriage certificate. I suggested he just go and register at the amphur and then they would make her change the ID etc.

Any advice for him???

My wife and I married in Oz and her name went from Miss to Ms. No other change. Spouse visa Application done in her original name. No problem.

Same here.....there is no obligation in Oz for a woman to change her name to that of her husband...she can keep her maiden name, use her married name or use both, it is upto her. Both the certificate and the extract are done in the unmarried names.

He will need the extract for the application....the certificate is not acceptable.

Although the site says you can pay in Aus, can you submit an app without payment in BKK?

Missed this question......

No

:o

If you mean without actually handing over the dosh, only if you have the receipt to say you paid in Oz.

Edited by gburns57au

Same here.....there is no obligation in Oz for a woman to change her name to that of her husband...she can keep her maiden name, use her married name or use both, it is upto her. Both the certificate and the extract are done in the unmarried names.

He will need the extract for the application....the certificate is not acceptable.

gburns57au

So in the case of marrying in Thailand at the Amphur, I take it all that is needed for the Australian Spouse application (submitted in Bangkok) is one of the two Marriage Certificates (given by the Amphur), translated into English?

I imagine there is no such thing as an Extract in Thailand?

Edited by fishhooks

gburns57au

So in the case of marrying in Thailand at the Amphur, I take it all that is needed for the Australian Spouse application (submitted in Bangkok) is one of the two Marriage Certificates (given by the Amphur), translated into English?

I imagine there is no such thing as an Extract in Thailand?

I would suggest that there is some sort of record kept for marriages in Thailand....Sorry, I was answering on the point that Sezzo made in regards his friend for advice

Edited by gburns57au