Thai Gold

AS400

I love that yellow looking 'real gold' as opposed to the 9ct rubbish we are fobbed off with in the west.

Some questions....anybody know how pure it is?, is it actually Thai gold? someone said it was imported from Switzerland?

Where is the cheapest place to buy it from? any on line stores or is it better to get down to Chinatown?

Where are the factories based that produce these great designs?...in Thailand or China?

Any help appreciated!

If sold in a "gold" shop (red paint) it should be 96.5% or about 22k. But you can also buy 18k at normal jewelry stores. Much gold is imported each year for this trade so the gold come from elsewhere but the work is done here in small scale operations AFAIK.

The best place to buy is indeed in Chinatown at one the of the busy shops (there will be a dozen or more customers and some buying handfuls of items).

Gold sells at a fixed price determined by world markets and set each day. You pay additional amount for the work. Only a small difference (on work) can be expected from one shop to another.

You should be able to find more information with a search as this question comes up often.

Goes by weight 1baht - 2...3...4...5. ect price goes up exponentially as you go up in weight. 4000THB roughly for 1BAHT weight of 22K gold. I picked up a 10Baht weight chain and looked like MR T and probably have neck problems wearing that.

Current price is about 7,850 baht per baht (15 grams, I believe)

Hasn't been anywhere close to 4000 baht for at least 4 years...

If you buy from a shop, ask for the shop to stamp it.

Here is one example of a stamp...

stamp.jpg

Actually it's really gone up in price over the last 3 years. It was 5,000 baht a baht 3 years ago (I bought quite a lot of gold on the year of the golden jubilee) - exchange rates at the time made it about £100 for 15g (1 Baht).

Gold prices continue to grow, whichj is why Thai's put so much store in the stuff as a savings plan!

I love that yellow looking 'real gold' as opposed to the 9ct rubbish we are fobbed off with in the west.

Some questions....anybody know how pure it is?, is it actually Thai gold? someone said it was imported from Switzerland?

Where is the cheapest place to buy it from? any on line stores or is it better to get down to Chinatown?

Where are the factories based that produce these great designs?...in Thailand or China?

Any help appreciated!

FAQ's here..

http://www.yabz.com/gold/

Any help appreciated!

FAQ's here..

http://www.yabz.com/gold/

Interesting HP.

I wanted to check out why our gold in Europe is not as deep and yellow as the Thai gold. Apparently its because we mix ours with nickel, and Thai's mix it with copper. But then again I might have been listening to some pissed old fart at the bar. :o

Anyone?

I know many of you disagree with me, but one should be mildly wary of Thai gold, even "stamped" gold, when purchased from "Chinatown" gold shops in Thailand. It will hold its relative value in Thailand but it is much more difficult to exchange it or sell it at an Asian gold shop once outside of Thailand. The basic "baat" gold jewelery sells for less in Thailand than the same piece would sell in the US or Europe and so it is still a bargain in that sense.

It will hold its relative value in Thailand but it is much more difficult to exchange it or sell it at an Asian gold shop once outside of Thailand. The basic "baat" gold jewelery sells for less in Thailand than the same piece would sell in the US or Europe and so it is still a bargain in that sense.

Sorry but I disagree. For example, when I could find it in Japan, a 2 baht item is between $500-$600 USD. Earlier in the year, I bought a 2 baht item in BKK chinatown for about $400 USD (appx 16K TB).

On another note, I too, am hooked on the color and the style. When I see the 9, 14 and 18 karat stuff it makes be want to puke, especially when it is as much as or higher than Thai gold. From now on, it's baht gold or nothing for me.

It will hold its relative value in Thailand but it is much more difficult to exchange it or sell it at an Asian gold shop once outside of Thailand.

I too have found this. My ex-wife attempted to flog a whole load of the stuff in the UK. Half of the jewellers would not touch it and the other half offered only the value of 9 carat gold, all because it wasn't hallmarked.

Scouse.

Maybe this shows my girlish side, but I like Thai gold for the decorativeness of it, not for the investment. All the gold I own (bought by dear hubby of course :D ) is simply for the enjoyment of having pretty jewelry. Baht gold is so much prettier that it makes the 14k gold look dull by comparison.

And I am sure your girlfriend would never complain if you bought her a pretty piece of gold jewelry! :o

Maybe an expert can correct me, but surely Dubai is the place to buy gold. Jeweler friend of mine assures me that Thailand is great for buying stones if you know what you are looking at though. :o

Correct, if you have the time to stop over in UAE (or Saudi) for items to be made up.

I bought many stones in Thailand before, sapphires, amethysts, topaz, so on. Had them made up into bracelets, earrings, necklaces, etc., for my first wife. Of course they were all hers by gift, so not counted in the divorce settlement as being communal property.

Some gold dealers in UK will assay and hallmark foreign gold, but it does cost a bit. Get them appraised for insurance purposes - cheaper than assay / hallmark route and the certificate of insurance is usually accepted for resale as well.

Maybe an expert can correct me, but surely Dubai is the place to buy gold. Jeweler friend of mine assures me that Thailand is great for buying stones if you know what you are looking at though. :o

Why? is gold cheaper in Dubai? I thought the gold price was the same all over the world? isn't it fixed twice a day? so why would an expert advise its better to buy gold in Dubai?...I mean I'd love to be a gold smuggler buying cheapily in one area and then selling in another....lol!...but I don't think this is possible?

Why? is gold cheaper in Dubai? I thought the gold price was the same all over the world? isn't it fixed twice a day? so why would an expert advise its better to buy gold in Dubai?...I mean I'd love to be a gold smuggler buying cheapily in one area and then selling in another....lol!...but I don't think this is possible?

Tax free

Goes by weight 1baht - 2...3...4...5. ect price goes up exponentially as you go up in weight.

I checked with the TCAMG, the Thai Club of Anal Math Geeks, and they inform me that actually you will find that the increase is quite linearly, not exponentially. :o

Like a 2 fold increase in weight will result in close to a 2 fold increase in price. Actually less as the workmanship fee increases less. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Resale values in Europe stink. This is not merely arelated to Thai/Asian gold, but all gold. In Europe, second hand gold is bought either to resell as the piece of jewlery as second hand - and thgus less than retail for new - or for scrap. Either way, the jewler will want a profit - and we are not talking the 3-5% the Chinese goldsmiths get in LOS (profits are bulk based, not margin).

It's basically greed that makes the difference. Try selling your 9K belcher chain that cost you £300 in 1986 (when they were strangly fashionable in the UK - why?) - you'll get peanuts for it even though the gold prices has increased. Why, 'cos its scrap value is bugger all.

Now try selling it in Asia - they will laugh at you!

They will always assay the gold unless you have their shop stamp - often even then. They do this by scraping a slither of the gold off and putting a chemical on it. Gold is unreactive, but the alloyed metals (copper in LOS) is not - it will make the chemical go green. The greener, the lower the gold content. They will also weigh it on a digital micro-gram scale. These guys live in a country where every scam hasd been tried innumerable times, they know what they are doing.

Arabian gold is liked in Asia because it has a yellower colour (grass is always greener perhaps). This is because of the alloy mix (silver or nickel rather than copper).

I never buy jewels though as I have been ripped off here. I have been sold Beryl as Ruby; I once bought a real ruby that was quite large as a present for a friend. I had it mounted by a little gold shop in Lumpang. When my father, the recipient, had it tested for insurance back in the UK, it turned out to be resin - it had been swapped at the gold shop. :o

Unless you realy know precious stones, I would leave well alone.

I understood that 22k is equv to 96.5% and 24k = 99.9%. I could be wrong.

I bought a chain at a "red & yellow" shop and really wanted the 99.9% because of the lovely colour but the assistant advised my that it would be better to go for 96.5% as it is much stronger and one of my 17 month old twin girls (with me at the time) would surely have a go at ripping it of at sometime.

I thought that was very nice of her for the advice as the 96.5% was cheaper but not by much.

I bought a chain at a "red & yellow" shop and really wanted the 99.9% because of the lovely colour but the assistant advised my that it would be better to go for 96.5% as it is much stronger and one of my 17 month old twin girls (with me at the time) would surely have a go at ripping it of at sometime.

I thought that was very nice of her for the advice as the 96.5% was cheaper but not by much.

True, the 96.5% will be stronger than 99.9%. The stronger mixture is better for more delicate pieces like earrings.

One thing that I have not understood is the deal with Gold Master and Prima brand gold shops. Their stuff is quite beautiful and expensive: 99% content, however most Thais tell me that they won't buy it because it has a poor resale value. They say it is for Hi-Sos who don't care about the resale value. Anybody have views on this?

True, the 96.5% will be stronger than 99.9%. The stronger mixture is better for more delicate pieces like earrings.

One thing that I have not understood is the deal with Gold Master and Prima brand gold shops. Their stuff is quite beautiful and expensive: 99% content, however most Thais tell me that they won't buy it because it has a poor resale value. They say it is for Hi-Sos who don't care about the resale value. Anybody have views on this?

Red gold shops sell 96.5% gold. I have never seen or heard of 99.9% gold jewelry sold in such shops. As said the true content may be a little less than the 96.5% mark at some places - which is why the old established shops do the majority of the business - there is a higher level of trust with these pieces than other shops.

The almost pure gold jewelry process of Prema and Gold Master are usually sold in department store/exclusive shops settings at jewelry store makeups. It is a relatively new process and due to high markup would not be good value except for 'face'. It can not be traded and pawned as can 96.5% gold. So far it has not become a must have for most people.

I bough a two bahts gold chain few years ago , said 5500 a bahts , sold it back to yawalat gold shop for 7400 a bahts few month ago .

the cost of buying and selling are about 200 bahts different on one baths , depends of the work involved ..

Now my question can this 2 bahts gold chain today at price of 15000 bahts can be sold for base gold price in Australia ? and anyone know how much ? not sure what is the weight of the Baht

http://www.gold.org/

world gold price is about $400 (per troy oz) US these days. " baht gold " 96.5 % is over 23 karat. a troy ounce of gold is a little over two baht weight. (15.1 gm X2 <1oz troy) one troy oz = ~ 31.1 gram vs 2 baht 30.2, .9 gram short. you do the math. 15.1/31.1 x .965 will give you the pure gold content of any given baht weight of thai baht gold. this times the days gold price is your bottom line. you then have to figure in the manufacturing cost. a fancy chain is more costly to make than an ingot or a ring. the price rises with complexity, you pay for the craftsman.

3 September Bangkok Post has business item that as of 1 October gold shops will be required by law to sell gold of 96.5% (23k) with no more dropping below to the 22k level some now use.

Noted on last visit (August) to old respected gold shop that all is openly marked as 96.5% now.

The relatively low price offered for Thai gold in the UK is due to the fact that

the jewellers there know little or nothing about what they are selling.

They sell to a price tag.

9ct gold in the UK fetches the same price as Thai gold over here.

Thai's buy gold as an investment - portable wealth.

Also looks good and gains face for the wearer.

Today's price is nearer 8000 baht /baht.

world gold price is about $400 (per troy oz) US these days. " baht gold " 96.5 % is over 23 karat. a troy ounce of gold is a little over two baht weight. (15.1 gm X2 <1oz troy) one troy oz = ~ 31.1 gram vs 2 baht 30.2, .9 gram short. you do the math. 15.1/31.1 x .965 will give you the pure gold content of any given baht weight of thai baht gold. this times the days gold price is your bottom line. you then have to figure in the manufacturing cost. a fancy chain is more costly to make than an ingot or a ring. the price rises with complexity, you pay for the craftsman.

DO THE MATH?? ARE YOU KIDDING???

Numbers are not my friends! Besides, I don't really worry too much about it, I am not buying for resale (or rather my husband isn't :o ) but simply because I like it. Also, it was my understanding that the govt controlled how much extra could be added onto the price for workmanship, is this true?