Love At First Bite (bakery)

Ulysses G.

I agree, best baked goods in Chiang Mai. It's on the soi that leads to Ben Guest House, yes near the church. Down the soi next to what used to be called The Cottage (long before that, Chiang Mai Tea House, and now something like C Club I think). There is also a place of the same name on Nimanhemin Rd, coincidentally near Starbucks. I don't think it's the same folks though (haven't been in).

The people at the bakery must know about the other place with the same name. I stopped in today on UG's recommendation and had a great slice of pie, and noticed a sign on a door that said "Love at First Bite has no branches".

They put that sign up as the other shop is called Love.. and was confusing some of their customers who thought it was a new branch, but it has no connection. I'm not a great cake fan, but a slice of their blackforest cake or rhubarb pie , go down rather nicely.

We're currently getting baked goods from the place with the French name (Gateaux) by the gates of Maharaj Hospital. Wait, now I think I get the name: it's Les Gateaux, perhaps "The Gates"! It's almost directly across from the pedestrian walkway (with the stoplight) and the Siam Commercial Bank ATM, on Suthep Road. Now, how's that for directions?

I think an earlier post in this thread did refer to 'other side of the bridge' without a starting point, so the blonde joke was quite appropriate.

I gave up on Ulysses's's' directions for Bake and Bite on south Chang Klan road because I don't know where the big cinema is, and I only recently discovered Samho or Sambo's. That's my fault, not Ulysses's's's' fault. I do think we give out directions here by mysterious landmarks, such as "Where the dog died." The new aerial method using Gooooogle Eaaaarth is handy, though.

We're currently getting baked goods from the place with the French name (Gateaux) by the gates of Maharaj Hospital. Wait, now I think I get the name: it's Les Gateaux, perhaps "The Gates"! It's almost directly across from the pedestrian walkway (with the stoplight) and the Siam Commercial Bank ATM, on Suthep Road. Now, how's that for directions?

I think an earlier post in this thread did refer to 'other side of the bridge' without a starting point, so the blonde joke was quite appropriate.

I gave up on Ulysses's's' directions for Bake and Bite on south Chang Klan road because I don't know where the big cinema is, and I only recently discovered Samho or Sambo's. That's my fault, not Ulysses's's's' fault. I do think we give out directions here by mysterious landmarks, such as "Where the dog died." The new aerial method using Gooooogle Eaaaarth is handy, though.

Don't blame it on me; I also noted that the "big cinema" is South of the Chang Klan and Sri Don Chai intersection. If you go there, it is pretty hard to miss! :o

Been there a couple of times - Les Gateaux - Falangsait for The Cakes - Not bad but I prefer LAFB. My waistline just can't afford either at present.

I agree, best baked goods in Chiang Mai. It's on the soi that leads to Ben Guest House, yes near the church. Down the soi next to what used to be called The Cottage (long before that, Chiang Mai Tea House, and now something like C Club I think).

Just for clarity's sake - after it was the Cottage it became the C Bar, now it's called Love, Actually.

Enjoying the jokes too!

I do not want to take a side here, but it seems to me but we need a better way to locate this place! :o

Here is a link to a rare, dynamic web map of Chiang Mai in ENGLISH. For those in the know, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft (and other websites) offer maps of Thailand/Chiang Mai, but they are either in Thai, static, or incomplete.

So, please, U G, P B, and others (if you have the time or the patience) provide us with the definitive location of these epicurean delicacies by making a link on the map and providing a snippet or whatever helps! :D

Of course, if you have Google Earth installed on your computer, perhaps you could take a snapshot of the location and copy it here.

Thanks, all!

MPR

. . . it seems to me but we need a better way to locate this place! :D

It's dead simple, actually. I'll take UG's original direction and modify it ever so slightly, to be as clear and specific as anyone who should be allowed out on the streets alone could possibly need it to be:

Go [west] over the [Nawarat] bridge, turn right [on Charoenrat Road] at [the] first intersection, [which is immediately past the end of the bridge and has a traffic light,] turn left at [the] first Soi which is called Soi 1 [and is located about 150 meters from the intersection. Travel another 150 meters or so] down the [soi and you will find] Love At First Bite [on the right hand side].

Not that there is anything wrong with a Google map or what not, but preparing one is beyond my interest and capability. :o

. . . it seems to me but we need a better way to locate this place! :D

It's dead simple, actually. I'll take UG's original direction and modify it ever so slightly, to be as clear and specific as anyone who should be allowed out on the streets alone could possibly need it to be:

Go [west] over the [Nawarat] bridge, turn right [on Charoenrat Road] at [the] first intersection, [which is immediately past the end of the bridge and has a traffic light,] turn left at [the] first Soi which is called Soi 1 [and is located about 150 meters from the intersection. Travel another 150 meters or so] down the [soi and you will find] Love At First Bite [on the right hand side].

Not that there is anything wrong with a Google map or what not, but preparing one is beyond my interest and capability. :o

On this current thread -- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1686263 -- no one could find Im Pla Phao, despite explicit directions. Why is it that we're always told that if we want to live in Thailand we have to learn to speak Thai, but no one bothers to learn their way around once they get 3 blocks from Tha Phae Gate?

Of course, if you have Google Earth installed on your computer, perhaps you could take a snapshot of the location and copy it here.

Thanks, all!

MPR

For those who are visual learners...

You can view the snapshot of the map, or open the .kmz file in Google Earth, which will allow you to zoom in and out on the map and get your bearings.

Love_at_First_Bite.kmz

post-48006-1196782833_thumb.jpg

Bake_and_Bite.kmz

post-48006-1196782802_thumb.jpg

I'll take UG's original direction and modify it ever so slightly, to be as clear and specific as anyone who should be allowed out on the streets alone could possibly need it to be:

My bad. Make that "[east]" -- not "[west]" -- over the Nawarat bridge. . . . :o

In Australia it is common to use landmarks instead of roads to find your way Depending on the actual location in the country the landmarks will differ, for example in the Northern Territory it is "from Alice Springs head north 600km to the first right turn, follow that road to 1200km and when you get to the water you are in Rockhampton so turn left 600 km and Cairns is there. From there ask a local where the pub is - easy mate :o

In the cities it is easier to use pubs and clubs - go to the "town and country" have a beer there, cross over the road to the Central (have a beer), follow the big road heading up hill past the Crown, the Royal, and the Stag (don't bother having a beer at the Royal unless you enjoy a fight but the others are ok) When you get to the top of the hill stop for a beer at the Handsome Hound which is also a good place to park some of the excess filtered beer fluids. Come out the corner of the pub near the pool table and head right to Molly Malloy's, they have Guiness on tap but only have a couple because its too early to get pissed before you get to the pub. From Molly's turn left at the lights for a sauce on a bun and follow the road to the Lord of Sommerset - our house is over the road, come in for a couple of beers and then we'll go out for a drink.

When giving directions to people such as UG I usually find that it makes sense to start with some place I know they can find. It was always easy to say starting from Gecko Books but then I had to be careful not to get messed up with the multiple stores now that it has become the 7-11 of secondhand books in Chiang Mai :D. Easier by far is to pick his "homes away from home" starting with:

The Dukes - forget the tourist trap on Th. Night Bazaar aka Th Chang Klan he ALWAYS means the original store on the EASTERN side of the river (aka the other side unless you are a blonde)

Spotlight - also handy because most of the others on this forum will either know where it is or be currently occupying a table there

Spicy's - despite no one actually admitting they go there it is without a doubt one of the places almost everyone will know even if "they have driven past there on occassion" (yeah right :D).

So in future instead of referring to these Google maps and such like please use a landmark we know and follow the examples above.

your's in moderation

CB

Spotlight - also handy because most of the others on this forum will either know where it is or be currently occupying a table there

Spicy's - despite no one actually admitting they go there it is without a doubt one of the places almost everyone will know even if "they have driven past there on occasion" (yeah right :D).

So in future instead of referring to these Google maps and such like please use a landmark we know and follow the examples above.

your's in moderation

CB

:o Am I the only long-term Chiang Mai resident and member of TV who has never entered the Spotlight and honestly has no idea where Spicy's is. (With all sincere apologies to McG!) :D

Thanks, all!

MPR

For those who are visual learners...

You can view the snapshot of the map, or open the .kmz file in Google Earth, which will allow you to zoom in and out on the map and get your bearings.

Love_at_First_Bite.kmz

post-48006-1196782833_thumb.jpg

Bake_and_Bite.kmz

post-48006-1196782802_thumb.jpg

Oh! I forgot about the .kmz file trick!

Thanks for ... catering to our needs! :o

Oh! They have ... bearings as well! Sweet! Strawbearing pie, maybe? No douibt, it should go down fine! :D

Better ... run! :D

Edited by MyPenRye

Spicy's - despite no one actually admitting they go there it is without a doubt one of the places almost everyone will know even if "they have driven past there on occasion" (yeah right :D).

:o Am I the only long-term Chiang Mai resident and member of TV who has never entered the Spotlight and honestly has no idea where Spicy's is. (With all sincere apologies to McG!) :D

I may not qualify as a long-term Chiang Mai resident, having lived here only 18 months, but in addition to having no idea where Spicy's is, I have no idea where the Spotlight is either, and I know no more about either place than has been written here.

Oh, and before Ulysses G or anyone else gets their hopes up or otherwise, I should perhaps mention that, despite this and the pink shirts, I am indeed straight. :D

Not to take issue with Rasseru (hi, mate!), but I doubt Ulysses meant to go west over Narawat bridge to get on the road that houses the First Christian church and Duke's. The aerial map confirms my impression that the Love at First Bite bakery is on the east side of the Ping River.

Which only points out how directionally challenged you can be in either Chiang Mai or San Antonio, Texas. :o McGriffith will remember the early conversation I had when I kept insisting that Doi Suthep (or the Maharaj hospital complex) was on the east side of Chiang Mai. :D

I've never been to Spicy's, but I've been to Oklahoma and Friendship Bar and Jackpot Bar and...and...

Not to take issue with Rasseru (hi, mate!), but I doubt Ulysses meant to go west over Narawat bridge to get on the road that houses the First Christian church and Duke's. . . .

Howdy, PB. West subsequently corrected to east a number of posts ago.

Not to take issue with Rasseru (hi, mate!), but I doubt Ulysses meant to go west over Narawat bridge to get on the road that houses the First Christian church and Duke's. . . .

Rass you may have been better off leaving it as West so that the directionally challenged PB could find it as he rides East into the setting sun :o

CB

Rass you may have been better off leaving it as West so that the directionally challenged PB could find it as he rides East into the setting sun :o

CB

Now you have me concerned that I may have suffered an east infraction.

Rass you may have been better off leaving it as West so that the directionally challenged PB could find it as he rides East into the setting sun :D

CB

There is a wonderful topical ointment for that, Rass....next time we meet, I'll bring a tube. :o

. . . . .

Rass you may have been better off leaving it as West so that the directionally challenged PB could find it as he rides East into the setting sun :D

CB

There is a wonderful topical ointment for that, Rass....next time we meet, I'll bring a tube. :o

Many thanks, but I think that while I may have been in some trouble before, "west not, want not" should get me safely through the situation now.