Nissan Novarra

hello, well I came to thailand this year looking at toyota,isuzu,mitsubishi. I ended up with a nissan, great truck. The nissan was most like the kind of truck I would drive and buy in usa, very roomy, good power, handles great and rides great. Nissan even advertises-after I bought it that they build the same truck in thailand as they would build in the states-the frontier. I was never a nissan guy-low reputation in the 80s and 90s but are better now, in the states. We just finished a trip khon kaen-river kwai-hua hin, krabi , and back. A pleasure to drive, I told my wife it was more comfortable then my toyota camry back home, we had a 10 hour day-not a problem. I have the 4 by 2, lx-loaded. The amount of truck you get for the price(700,000) is much more then the others. Dual airbags,abs,elect mirrors,tilt steering,leather, 6 disc with mp3, we put the carry boy on with A/C for the family. I would highly recommend this truck so far, I will update next year. I was going to buy the toyota or isuzu because of the popularity in thailand, they both felt cramped and not a good fit for me, I am only 5'10"-not fat. I fell relaxed in my nissan. I also have the 6 speed-not sure about gas mileage yet as it still needs to break in. My wife is learning to drive the manual tranny. Try it out. Thanks , Mike

I've always felt that the pickups are the best buy for the money; reliable, long-lasting and simple to service as the drivetrains are less complex than typical front wheel drive cars. I believe the Novarra is the largest pickup currently available. It looks about the same size as an F-150 from back home (I've driven a couple of those). I found the Toyota Vigo to be quite roomy, especially in the front so the Novarra can only be better in that department. I've never driven a Nissan, but the Frontiers are supposed to be pretty good ("GaryA" loves his). I don't think 4WD is a neccessity for most situations unless you live WAY out in the boonies with dirt/mountainous roads or unless you're an off-roader. The 2WD will certainly prove less likely to break down and less expensive to fix if something does go wrong with the drivetrain. Keep us updated on how it handles :o

Never driven a 6-speed. Perhaps the reverse is located in the upper left hand corner?

Never driven a 6-speed. Perhaps the reverse is located in the upper left hand corner?

No, actually the reverse is in the lower right-hand corner, and you need to put pressure on top af the gearshifter to get it into reverse.

I had a look at the Navarra today. It looks interesting, and I´ll have a testdrive tomorrow. I hope that the ride is softer than that of the Vigo 4WD, which I had before. We will see, but I like the two airbags, ABS & EBD, important safety details!

North

Edited by North

Pushing down on the handle for reverse....sounds a bit like European type cars. The reverse has a lockout mechanism which you must disengage by pushing down on the handle. This prevents people from accidentally throwing the thing in reverse before stopping completely.

hello, well I came to thailand this year looking at toyota,isuzu,mitsubishi. I ended up with a nissan, great truck. The nissan was most like the kind of truck I would drive and buy in usa, very roomy, good power, handles great and rides great. Nissan even advertises-after I bought it that they build the same truck in thailand as they would build in the states-the frontier. I was never a nissan guy-low reputation in the 80s and 90s but are better now, in the states. We just finished a trip khon kaen-river kwai-hua hin, krabi , and back. A pleasure to drive, I told my wife it was more comfortable then my toyota camry back home, we had a 10 hour day-not a problem. I have the 4 by 2, lx-loaded. The amount of truck you get for the price(700,000) is much more then the others. Dual airbags,abs,elect mirrors,tilt steering,leather, 6 disc with mp3, we put the carry boy on with A/C for the family. I would highly recommend this truck so far, I will update next year. I was going to buy the toyota or isuzu because of the popularity in thailand, they both felt cramped and not a good fit for me, I am only 5'10"-not fat. I fell relaxed in my nissan. I also have the 6 speed-not sure about gas mileage yet as it still needs to break in. My wife is learning to drive the manual tranny. Try it out. Thanks , Mike

hi mike,

i,ve had my nissan navana now for about 7 months with 6500km on the clock and am still very happy with it, its 2 wheel drive 4 door ,manual and i,m now getting about 16 km/lt driving mostly on main road from nong khai to udon in 6th gear .

Not wanting to be too picky on a Sunday morning chaps but: Navana/Novarra!!!

Its a Nissan Frontier -Navara. Well thats what it says on mine.

Pleased with ours too, 4x2 two door manual, price 619,000 baht (the best bit) in June this year.

Nissans very underrated trucks, they have only shifted 26,003 this year, compared to Toyota- 123,387 & Isuzu 104,238, thats all pickups, - from Jan-Oct. Source - Bangkok Post .

I am happy that there are so few Navara's about, up here we are swamped with Vigo's/Highlanders

Well done mike, i was mikethevigoman ! ,.now mike the navaraman ! :o heres mine,

post-41326-1197167155_thumb.jpg

post-41326-1197167292_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikethevigoman

No, actually the reverse is in the lower right-hand corner, and you need to put pressure on top af the gearshifter to get it into reverse.

I had a look at the Navarra today. It looks interesting, and I´ll have a testdrive tomorrow. I hope that the ride is softer than that of the Vigo 4WD, which I had before. We will see, but I like the two airbags, ABS & EBD, important safety details!

North

Ihad 6 speed first, didnt like it, i now have the auto, MUCH better,.

North

Even without having driven the Navara automatic, I must concur on this statement. A few days ago I had a test drive in the Navara 2WD LE with a six-speed manual, and it was not a pleasant ride thanks to the manual gearbox, the gearshifting is very sluggish in my opinion.

Unfortunately they don´t have a Navara with an automatic for a test drive, but I would think that a 5 speed automatic would be great.

Well mikethevigoman, how about a quick comparison of the Vigo and the Navara regarding:

I read that the Navara has a big turning circle, is it worse than the Vigo ?

How about the Navara seat comfort on long trips ? ( I had A Vigo Exclusive before, and after a few hours of drive my back was aching)

North

North

Even without having driven the Navara automatic, I must concur on this statement. A few days ago I had a test drive in the Navara 2WD LE with a six-speed manual, and it was not a pleasant ride thanks to the manual gearbox, the gearshifting is very sluggish in my opinion.

Unfortunately they don´t have a Navara with an automatic for a test drive, but I would think that a 5 speed automatic would be great.

Well mikethevigoman, how about a quick comparison of the Vigo and the Navara regarding:

I read that the Navara has a big turning circle, is it worse than the Vigo ?

How about the Navara seat comfort on long trips ? ( I had A Vigo Exclusive before, and after a few hours of drive my back was aching)

North

Ok, im no jeremy clarkson but here goes,. i too had vigo exclusive before,. because of the market i supply parts to i had to change to a navara, i wasnt too happy about it and was even more unhappy when i got a manual ( another story ) anyway i did not like that,it was the base cloth and of course i had just come out of the leather auto vigo,so my first comments were unfortunatly not comparing eggs with eggs,. however i then got the se auto, much better !,. all the bells and whistles, even more than the exclusive, i didnt need 4x4 so got the 2wd,.my main concern was that i would miss the power, well hear this, the manual was slug off the mark, i assume it is tuned that way for emmisions as in the higher 3 gears it went well but low down it was lethargic, i drove the auto sensibly til run in and i have to say for a 2.5 it gives away nothing in power considering its 500cc disadvantage, im afraid i have never ever worked out fuel mileage on any vehicle in my 35 years of driving ! i can tell if a cars heavy on fuel or not and didnt keep the jensen intercepter or the bentley turbo R long !,.ok back to the navara/vigo,. comfort wise, ,,,yes the navara does have for me at 5.8 a better position,it feels better than the toyota,as for lock as you mentioned again i cant do a fair comparison as the 4x4 vigo wouldnt have as good a turning circle as the navara with 2wd,.all in all i like the navara, i am going to fit a power up unit, i had one on the last one and it works, takes the navara to 205 bhp and that just about leaves all the standard trucks in its wake,.sorry i didnt paragraph or anything im new to this job !

Thanks for your opinion, Mike.

Well, I kind of like the Navara, though before I had a look at it I was quite sure, that my next vehicle wasn´t going to be a pickup.

I might look for a opportunity to rent a Navara a few days in order to test the comfort properly.

North

Well, I kind of like the Navara, though before I had a look at it I was quite sure, that my next vehicle wasn´t going to be a pickup.

I might look for a opportunity to rent a Navara a few days in order to test the comfort properly.

North

Put it on the short list, its a nice truck, i only know of one for rent in pattaya and the damm things a manual !

North

Hi Andy,

Did you get rid of your Vigo Exclusive?  I remember when you bought as I bought mine shortly thereafter.  You appeared at the time to be very happy with it.  I still like mine even though I wish it had a slightly smoother ride.  I don't drive it all that much, mostly back and forth between Pattaya and Roi-et when the wife and I visit the inlaws.  As far as seat comfort, I have no complaints.  The drive to Roi-et takes between 7 and 8 hours; I still feel good, no aches or pains after completing the drive.

I must admit that the truck is a bit big for driving around Pattaya.  I have a 2001 Honda Crv that is absolutely perfert for driving around the narrow Soi's of Pattata and for parking.

The Navara didn't show up in Pattaya until after I had already ordered my Vigo Exclusive, the 4-door, 4-wheel drives much later, but from what I saw of them, I thought that both the in

teriors and exteriors looked rather plain.  I would think

that Nissan would have done much better to design a new truck that took the best of the Vigo/Isuzu appointments and meshed them with the Triton style to come up with some with nice looks, but maybe not so radical as the Triton.  Instead, the Nissan is a rather bland looking truck in my opinion.

North

Hi Andy,

Did you get rid of your Vigo Exclusive? I remember when you bought as I bought mine shortly thereafter. You appeared at the time to be very happy with it. I still like mine even though I wish it had a slightly smoother ride. I don't drive it all that much, mostly back and forth between Pattaya and Roi-et when the wife and I visit the inlaws. As far as seat comfort, I have no complaints. The drive to Roi-et takes between 7 and 8 hours; I still feel good, no aches or pains after completing the drive.

I must admit that the truck is a bit big for driving around Pattaya. I have a 2001 Honda Crv that is absolutely perfert for driving around the narrow Soi's of Pattata and for parking.

The Navara didn't show up in Pattaya until after I had already ordered my Vigo Exclusive, the 4-door, 4-wheel drives much later, but from what I saw of them, I thought that both the in

teriors and exteriors looked rather plain. I would think

that Nissan would have done much better to design a new truck that took the best of the Vigo/Isuzu appointments and meshed them with the Triton style to come up with some with nice looks, but maybe not so radical as the Triton. Instead, the Nissan is a rather bland looking truck in my opinion.

Yes, I "got rid" of the vigo Exclusive, I sold it some six months ago, partly because I had a pain in my back on long journeys, partly because I was going abroad for a few months and had nowhere to park it.

I agree with you on the size of the truck in city traffic, but that will apply to the Navara as well, but since I bought a small motorcycle for driving in the city I don´t consider that to be a big problem.

North

Hello,

I live on Phuket and want to buy a pick-up. So I checked the Toyota Vigo, Mazda BT-50, Ford Ranger and the Nissan Navara.

All these cars with quite the same setup you can get for quite the same price, but if you would like to have airbags & ABS you have to order the 3 liter engine. I think the 2.5 diesel with 174 hp is enough and also needs less diesel than the 3 liter and in this model airbags and ABS is included.

Now I think about to buy a new or max. 18 month year old Navara King Cab (2 doors), High-Rider, 4WD (Nissan Frontier Navara 4x4 King 2.5 LE 6MT in Twilight-Grey + Liner).

I asked here on Phuket and will get this car incl. 1 year insurance, tax, registration etc. for THB 719,000 cash (THB 20,000 discount) - the listed price is THB 739,000 + THB 5,900 for the liner = THB 744,900.

I think the cars on Phuket are much too expensive and want try to get a new car in BKK for about THB 680,000 - 690,000 and drive myself from BKK to Phuket, what will cost me for the flight & taxi & hotel & diesel about max. THB 10,000 and on this way I can drive a long distance what is good for the new engine.

Do anybody know if, where and how can get this discount and may be know a Nissan-dealer in BKK give good discount with the same conditions like they offered me on Phuket ?

Thx

Bagsida

ford ranger much better fm 0 to 100 kmph .
And quicker from retail to 50 per cent of its value ! :D:o

I always hear about Ford and Chevrolet losing half their value in the first year or two. I don't normally buy second hand vehicles simply because they are just too expensive. If anyone stumbles across a two year old Ford or Chevy 4X4 at half price, pleases let me know.

All this pick up trucks have the same style of engine. A four cylinder Diesel. I wish they bring at least a V6 or a V8 Gasoline engine on the marked, like in USA

...I hope they bring a 4 Zyl. 2.0 - 2.5 l CDI like on the market like in Europe (Audi A3, Audi A4, Audi A6) which saves diesel - 140 to 180 HP´s is more than enough power for drive max. 140 km/h.

Because of this "American style of energy thinking" the price for gasoline goes up and the global warming can not be stopped - regards to Mr. Bush !

Bagsida

Update, yes it is navara(i couldnt remember while typing). I took another trip from khon kaen to chiang mai via prae. This road if anyone has gone is a good test as there is several mountain passes with steep grades and lots of turns. The truck handled vert well, I kept remarking on how comfortable it was to drive(8 hour trip), we had 8 adults and 4 children and the roof rack loaded. The people in the back said it was a very smooth ride(usually they are getting sick in the mountains)-no vomitting. The folks in the back seats comment on how much room they have. This little 2.5 motor shined, i was surpised as I figured loaded down(my prevous trip 2 adults-2 children, no roof rack) i would notice a difference, flew up the hills, nothing passed us going up-including all the newer trucks, most got in our way as we were going around the overloaded big rig trucks. I have noticed it is a bit sluggish of the start at lights in the first 2 gears but then it takes off. I dont even think about the 6 speed now, easy shifting, i had driven an auto for many years. The turning radius is tight for a truck-on the highway u turns i usually get the inside turn(following other trucks). Anyway to each his own, just an update on my experience, 6,000 km over 3 weeks period. The nissan dealer in khon kaen has been great, calling us to check in , very helpful and friendly. Took it in for its first service this week, no problems, they cleaned it up nicely. I wish they offered the same truck in the states(no diesel available here). Take care, Mike

Update, yes it is navara(i couldnt remember while typing). I took another trip from khon kaen to chiang mai via prae. This road if anyone has gone is a good test as there is several mountain passes with steep grades and lots of turns. The truck handled vert well, I kept remarking on how comfortable it was to drive(8 hour trip), we had 8 adults and 4 children and the roof rack loaded. The people in the back said it was a very smooth ride(usually they are getting sick in the mountains)-no vomitting. The folks in the back seats comment on how much room they have. This little 2.5 motor shined, i was surpised as I figured loaded down(my prevous trip 2 adults-2 children, no roof rack) i would notice a difference, flew up the hills, nothing passed us going up-including all the newer trucks, most got in our way as we were going around the overloaded big rig trucks. I have noticed it is a bit sluggish of the start at lights in the first 2 gears but then it takes off. I dont even think about the 6 speed now, easy shifting, i had driven an auto for many years. The turning radius is tight for a truck-on the highway u turns i usually get the inside turn(following other trucks). Anyway to each his own, just an update on my experience, 6,000 km over 3 weeks period. The nissan dealer in khon kaen has been great, calling us to check in , very helpful and friendly. Took it in for its first service this week, no problems, they cleaned it up nicely. I wish they offered the same truck in the states(no diesel available here). Take care, Mike

hi mike, you say you,ve just taken your nissan for its first servis after 6000k? . i,ve had mine for about 7 months andd its done about 7000k but was told by dealer that it does,nt have first servis untill its done 10,000k have i got mixed up some where ?

thanks .....mb.

hi mike, you say you,ve just taken your nissan for its first servis after 6000k? . i,ve had mine for about 7 months andd its done about 7000k but was told by dealer that it does,nt have first servis untill its done 10,000k have i got mixed up some where ?

thanks .....mb.

• 4 weeks later...