Thai superstition

sevinnow

On my last vist to my G/F home I was given a very old Budda necklace by her mother, and when we were in Bangkok buying a baht gold chain the lady in the gold shop said it was very unlucky to clean the budda.

My G/F said she had never heard of that but strongly recommended me not to have it cleaned on the basis of what we were told.   As I am still in 2 minds wether to have it cleaned I must convince my G/F of the facts before I go ahead.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Sev

Take her and the Buddha to your local temple and ask the Abbot. Likelyhood is, he will either clean it for you or tell you you can with certain precautions.

Could also be the goldsmith swapped you valuable antique for a clay copy that will disolve in the water and she didn't want you to try - or may be she was worried the gold would flake off from the chain!  :o

Never heard of such a thing either.  But my grandad who collects amulets doesn't usually clean his ones as most of them are antiques and require special care.  

If in doubt, do as Wolf told you and go ask a monk at any Buddhist temple.

Do you like the Buddha the way it is? If so dont clean it. If you want it clean, then clean it. If you ask a dozen people or monks, you will get a dozen answers. I have more Buddas than I can count. It seems every trip to a temple, I wind up with another. I politely accept them and take them home and put them in the Buddha room with the rest where they are treated with respect. They will not protect you from bullets or win you the lottery and the Buddha specifically forbid his monks from practising such superstisions. Some farangs think it is crazy to believe those little images can perform such amazing magic, yet they walk around with the amputated foot of a rabbit in thier pocket believing it will bring them good luck!Anyway, I personally dont believe a Buddha image has any power, but I am glad there are so many around. I find that seeing them often helps keep me mindful. So, wash or dont wash, they should still be treated carefully and with respect

Not sure about cleaning it !! Khun wifey's Buddhism advises against even breathing on her "Mohonzon" (before any dodgy comments it's an ancient Buddhist scroll which hangs in a "Botsudan" (Shrine) If we were to move or go on holiday it has to be de-shrined wearing gloves without breathing on it !!!!  So i guess in all the different forms of Buddhism it depends on how sacred your Buddha is to you and how strong your commitment/Belief is. However as suggested in previous posts i would consult you local friendly Abbot.    ::o:

In response to 'do the amulets have any power to protect you' question...

I am a Buddhist and wear a not too ostentatious 5 baht necklace with three pendants. Two are clay tablets from a temple (in the usual gold box) with a Pali prayer on one side, and a Buddha image on the other (in the protection position). The third is a gold Buddha image in the teaching position and the temple from whence it came on the reverse. I also have another amulet attached that holds a moon stone and some herbs enclosed in gold.

I never go out without wearing it. Last year in London I hit a parked double-decker bus at 60 MPH on the back of a 600cc road/race bike. The bus 14 ton, me and bike 600lbs - not much of a contest really. When I came to the first thing I reached for were my Buddha’s. There was a clear imprint in the back of the bus of my hand and crash helmet. The police were amazed I survived as where the paramedics and the hospital trauma room (ER). Witnesses say I hit the bus full speed and the bike came up from behind and crash through me (sandwich like). The bike was complete scrap. The front wheel, fairing and tank came completely off - tank was crushed covering me and the floor in fuel (full tank). The rest of the bike was twisted and unrecoverable.

I sustained just a broken wrist and bruising. My throttle hand incidentally. Take it as luck, good fortune or what ever, but I NEVER go out without my necklace. I know what I believe. In any situation that I find worrying, I always hold my Buddha - subconsciously.

It isn't the object itself (this would perhaps be a little silly), it is what they represent - it is your belief. May be this is what protects you. I don't know, but I have been too often amazed to call it all coincidence. Believe what you will.

(Editted to correct the many typos)

Wolf,

An amazing tale !, I have met many Buddhists through Khun Wifey, who have had awful things happen to them (accidents/illness etc etc) They have all held their faith in the Buddha and pulled through some pretty much dead end situations.

Although i am not Buddhist (yet) seems that those who are have the inner strength/peace to help themselves in desperate situations, And the belief is in the protection offered from the Buddah.

Shall we say that Buddah may have blessed you on that day in London.  ???   :o

Yeah I shower with mine still on. Then again, they are not antique and are encased in gold and plastic and water proof. I would refer to my first post in this thread and suggest you ask the Abbot at your local Wat, or an antiques expert if you're not in LOS at the moment.