Broadband Internet Connections

femi fan

Finally i have a land line in my new house. TOT have now installed broadband at pretty much the slowest rate i think. But i get a high drop out rate, and at times cannot connect. Each time there's a problem i come back five minutes later and can connect.

But this is no good at all!! I know a mate's had this problem for nearly a year now. He's just told me that this is a general problem with TOT even in bangkok.

What do others think of it? I was going to get upgraded to their fastest service, but not just yet now. My mate was recommended to go for True.

Any recommendations? I'm in saraphi.

Finally i have a land line in my new house. TOT have now installed broadband at pretty much the slowest rate i think. But i get a high drop out rate, and at times cannot connect. Each time there's a problem i come back five minutes later and can connect.

But this is no good at all!! I know a mate's had this problem for nearly a year now. He's just told me that this is a general problem with TOT even in bangkok.

What do others think of it? I was going to get upgraded to their fastest service, but not just yet now. My mate was recommended to go for True.

Any recommendations? I'm in saraphi.

Might want to check all your wire connections from the main box, and troubleshoot the wires. I had the same problem when I got DSL first installed, and it turns out that many of the problems were from loose and/or frayed wires.

Once you have ruled out your outside wires, check the connections to the modem.

If all that's good, try calling tech support and see if they'll send someone out.

Lots of discussions on here about the quality and issues with TOT. I sometimes go through a week of bad connections like what you mention, then go for a long time with no issues. Every week or so I lose the connection, but resetting the modem seems to fix it.

Check out the internet and computers forum on Thaivisa at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=17 and you can probably get some more tips.

Very good of you mate, cheers for the comments. Not that i'd know how to check the wires and modem connections though! I won't have time to really go into it until end of the year. But if it's easy to describe, how do i do what you suggested?

I'll also go to that link. I've never really made use of thaivisa, now is the time i feel.

Very good of you mate, cheers for the comments. Not that i'd know how to check the wires and modem connections though! I won't have time to really go into it until end of the year. But if it's easy to describe, how do i do what you suggested?

I'll also go to that link. I've never really made use of thaivisa, now is the time i feel.

Trace the wires from inside your house to the outside. There should be a small box where the wires come in from a telephone pole. You can slide the cover off the box and see where the leads are screwed down. Just make sure the wires are firmly connected to the posts, and the screw screwed in firmly. Then trace the wires back into your house, looking for obvious defects such as torn insulation, cuts, or breaks. If there is an obvious break, you probably should get the wire replaced.

As for the connections on the modem, that is easier: just make sure everything is plugged in firmly. I had problems because the ethernet cable linking the modem to my wireless router wasn't firmly plugged in. Even if you don't have a wireless router, and just the modem, just double check that everything is plugged in firmly.

That's about it. If this troubleshooting doesn't fix the problem, you might want to give TOT a call and have them send a tech. They might show up in a few days and may be able to fix the problem... but according to other people's experiences, that may be a long shot.

Good luck...

Trace the wires from inside your house to the outside. There should be a small box where the wires come in from a telephone pole. You can slide the cover off the box and see where the leads are screwed down. Just make sure the wires are firmly connected to the posts, and the screw screwed in firmly. Then trace the wires back into your house, looking for obvious defects such as torn insulation, cuts, or breaks. If there is an obvious break, you probably should get the wire replaced.

As for the connections on the modem, that is easier: just make sure everything is plugged in firmly. I had problems because the ethernet cable linking the modem to my wireless router wasn't firmly plugged in. Even if you don't have a wireless router, and just the modem, just double check that everything is plugged in firmly.

That's about it. If this troubleshooting doesn't fix the problem, you might want to give TOT a call and have them send a tech. They might show up in a few days and may be able to fix the problem... but according to other people's experiences, that may be a long shot.

Good luck...

bottom line.. telnet into your router with the password they provided. A lot of routers will want you to log in with the username "admin" and then your issued password. You will probably need to look at the manual that was provided with the router. Dig around and look for information on the WAN (wide area network) interface. Might be a command like "show int all" This will tell you what kind of performance you are getting. Dropped packets? hangups? connection errors, Line quality. Have a look and once you get the hang of it will really help you troubleshoot when problems arise.