Where Are The Nigerians In Thailand?

iye

hi,av been in thailand for the past four weeks and i seem to be the only nigerian walking on the street.infact the only black its so boring and lonely for me or is it because am a girl? i just wonder

pls anyone knows hw i can reachout to nigerians?i need help urgently before i die in lonliness.my email address is //edit - address removed as per forum rules// need friends pls

Thailand has special rules for Nigerians wishing to obtain visas, this came about after many Nigerians became involved in the drugs trade in Thailand. Until recently they could also only renew their visas by returning to Nigeria and applying at the Thai Embassy there. The revised rules are posted below,

THAI VISA REGULATIONS FOR NIGERIAN NATIONALS

( The following regulation changes are in effect on 31 Oct 2007 )

1. For a Nigerian whose residence is in Nigeria, application for a visa shall be made at the Royal Thai Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria ONLY with requirement of Clearance Certificate issued by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (N.D.L.E.A) in Nigeria.

Please contact for more information at Royal Thai Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria at

e-mail: [email protected].

2. For Nigerian whose residence is in countries where no Thai Embassy/ Consulate-General is situated, application for a visa shall be made at the Royal Thai Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria in person with requirement of Clearance Certificate issued by N.D.L.E.A in Nigeria.

3. For a Nigerian whose residence is in foreign countries where a Thai Embassy is situated or accredited to, application for a visa shall be made at the Embassy or Consulate-General in that country in person with no requirement of Clearance Certificate issued by N.D.L.E.A in Nigeria.

Please contact for more information at the related Thai Embassy or Consulate-General.

4. For a Nigerian student studying in a country where a Thai Embassy/ Consulate-General is situated, application for a visa shall be made at the Embassy or Consulate-General in that country with no requirement of Clearance Certificate issued by N.D.L.E.A in Nigeria provided that the following conditions are met:

studying in the country;

residing in the country where the applicant studying without leaving from that country for a certain period of one year at the minimum;

holding a re-entry visa to that country;

wishing to travel to Thailand for educational purposes only.

5. For a Nigerian holding a diplomatic/official passport, application for a visa shall be made at any Thai Embassy/ Consulate in any country of the applicant’s convenience.

REMARKS: For a Nigerian whose residence is in the United Kingdom and Ireland with re-entry visa for studying (please also see requirement under no. 4), working or residing (spouse, marriage visa) in the United Kingdom and Ireland, application for a visa shall be made at the Royal Thai Embassy in London in person with no requirement of Clearance Certificate issued by N.D.L.E.A in Nigeria.

Royal Thai Embassy, London

31 October 2007

hi,av been in thailand for the past four weeks and i seem to be the only nigerian walking on the street.infact the only black its so boring and lonely for me or is it because am a girl? i just wonder

pls anyone knows hw i can reachout to nigerians?i need help urgently before i die in lonliness.my email address is //edit - address removed as per forum rules// need friends pls

Chanthaburi,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,involved in gem's

Maybe they are in the internet cafes sending out scam e-mails.

Its very illuminating that the Thai Embassy has to make special announcement to Nigerians "Studying" in London (or to Nigerians in general) about visa's.

Just how many of them are there?

Is this a normal route for students studying in London.

They have a terrible reputation.

I work in IT and know a few guy's in finance IT who do audits - first question when there is suspected fraude "Do you have any Nigerians working on the systems? - one guy told me he just bins CV's rom any Nigerian due to this and could not beleive Mastercard at Waterloo had a Nigerian DBA.

In my industry though - Pharma - I have worked with quite a few in Data Management in the UK and Belgium.

Apart from one outrageously camp gay guy who did not give a fug about anything but shagging they were very good at their job but did suffer from the reputation a proportion of their compatriots gives them.

The regulations are difficult. I have a colleague from Nigeria and he was hired from abroad. I don't remember all the things he went through, but I know he ended up in 3 different countries before he was granted a visa. He was over a month late in starting, but all his papers were in order. His last (and successful) effort was to go to Malaysia, where he was eventually granted a visa.

Your not by any chance, the Daughter of the late President are you ??

Was just about to post something like that.

In addition to the "I have 10 000 000" on a bank account, and I need your help, etc, etc.

Sorry, just had to.

But seriously, unfortunately for the decent ones, people from Nigeria have a very bad rep here.

F*, I hate being hit on by Nigerians, and generally any other Africans in BKK -- they are SO IN YOUR FACE and aggressive!

Last night I was buying stuff at 7-11 with my friend, and two African guys walked in,and STARED at me the whole time, say "hi" while staring at me like they were going to eat me. I RAN to the back and plastered myself to my friend so they would get the message that I'm with someone, and they STILL STARED and tried to get me to talk to them. "Hey girl, I want to talk to you" "I want to get to know you"

Hey guys, if if a girl RUNS AWAY when you look at her, and pointedly puts her arms around ANOTHER GUY, she's NOT INTO YOU, GET IT?

maybe there's some nice nigerian guys kicking around, but every single experience i've had with an african guy in BKK has been EXACTLY like this.

Hey, why did you edit the email out. I was about to send 632 emails of Nigerians I'm familiar with. Interestingly, once the OP got ahold of my email address I wonder how soon it would before I recevied and increased number of Nigerian scam emails!

Edited by jayjayjayjay

I dont know WHAT it is about Nigerians you see in Bangkok walking around in their mulit-coloured attire, but they are so LOUD and garish, extremely aggresive in their demeour and dont give a <deleted> about anyone else. You usually see them at the Bayok Tower buying cheap priced clothes to export back to Nigeria, or whatever.

They DO have a very bad reputation for being scam-artists etc, but I'm sure there are MANY decent Nigerians about who suffer from the bad press brought about by their fellow countrymen.

I think its part of their culture to be loud and aggressive ?

I dont know WHAT it is about Nigerians you see in Bangkok walking around in their mulit-coloured attire, but they are so LOUD and garish, extremely aggresive in their demeour and dont give a <deleted> about anyone else. You usually see them at the Bayok Tower buying cheap priced clothes to export back to Nigeria, or whatever.

They DO have a very bad reputation for being scam-artists etc, but I'm sure there are MANY decent Nigerians about who suffer from the bad press brought about by their fellow countrymen.

On my very first trip to Thailand all those years ago I stayed in Pratunam and met a Nigerian called Rrichard who was buying jeans with "Richards Jeans" on them for his shops back home - there were not many Afican guys around then so he was a bit of a novelty.

He did tell me he was very wealth but as we were staying in a flea infested shithole for 300THB a night (and still being ripped off) I had my doubts about his claims naive even though i was :o:D

Last month in the week i stayed in Sukhumvit saw 2 seperate Africans fighting Katoeys around the soi3/Gullivers area, and 1 get caught spending counterfeit currency.

Seems as if us whiteys have a very negative opinion of them in BKK, arent we all very racist.

Racist? Not at ALL! What I object to is their general LOUD, AGGRESSIVE demenour. I could say the same about LOUD beer-swilling Germans or Scandinavians.

Racism doesnt come into it!

The Embassy is on Sukhumvit 71, not far from Prakhanong BTS.

The majority that I have seen, seem to hang around Soi 3 and Soi 5 in Sukhumvit.

I never knew the Embassy was out that way and I used to live along there hence my moniker

Its only recently they have been in Soi 5 in numbers though - I used to stay down there from 2000-2006 many times a year and it was only towards the end they hung around there rather than in and out to shop at Foodland

The Embassy is on Sukhumvit 71, not far from Prakhanong BTS.

The majority that I have seen, seem to hang around Soi 3 and Soi 5 in Sukhumvit.

I never knew the Embassy was out that way and I used to live along there hence my moniker

Its only recently they have been in Soi 5 in numbers though - I used to stay down there from 2000-2006 many times a year and it was only towards the end they hung around there rather than in and out to shop at Foodland

Just past Foodland on the same side of the road. I used to go past it everyday, as I used to live on 71.

I was going to post something similar, asking the OP why it seems Nigerians (at least I think they are Nigerian) are so loud with eachother and strangers. When in the internet shops across from Gulliver on Soi 5, a few will frequently come in and shout at the lady working there, shout into the phone when making their long distance calls, shout at eachother, etc. I just ignore it as I assume it's cultural since many middle eastern men doing the same, but it can get annoying when you are trying to work on the computer or have a conversation with someone.