Divorce Proof - Paperwork Process

expat-global

My friend was married to a Thai lady, registered in Thailand, and later she divorced him in the Thai courts based on abandonment and not having seen him for years.

He is overseas, has never even seen the divorce papers, and doesn't want to return to Thailand. He has asked for my assistance while I am here. His ex-wife is cooperative.

Does anyone here know what needs to be done in a situation like this?

Does anyone here by chance have any experience in this?

(This gentleman is an American expat living in a third country. I have received instructions from the American embassy, but I don't have confidence that they are instructing me completely, and would like to double-check everything to make sure the paperwork is accepted in the U.S. or at an overseas embassy. I've been instructed wrongly before by the government ... quite a number of times! Thus, I don't ask "Is [blah blah blah] the way to do it, yes or no?" because it's too easy to just reactively say "yes" rather than have someone outline a reasonable procedure from a blank slate and then compare it to what I've been told elsewhere. I would also think that the requirements would be similar for most Western countries regarding proof of divorce -- by court.)

We know that some kind of certified document is needed.

Certified where and by whom?

A problem is that the ex-wife lives up-country, she isn't willing to come to Bangkok, and the court which awarded the divorce is located up-country.

Therefore, we are looking for a step-by-step process that will work and not be a big waste of time and effort.

Does anyone know a solution?

We know that some kind of certified document is needed.

Certified where and by whom?

A problem is that the ex-wife lives up-country, she isn't willing to come to Bangkok, and the court which awarded the divorce is located up-country.

Therefore, we are looking for a step-by-step process that will work and not be a big waste of time and effort.

Does anyone know a solution?

I thought you said she was cooperative :o

I understand that a new stamp is put on the back of the marriage cert. at the Amphur where the marriage was registered.

This could then be translated and certified by the Thai Embassy in the country of residence of the husband.

All supposition - but I will try to establish facts in the next few days.

Hi;

OK I did the reverse. I was married in thailand to a thai lady. we went to the states and she split, (long story)

anyway when I retunred to thailand I had to get a lawyer, go to court and petiton the court for a divorce since she was not present. The court granted it and gave me a piece of paper that proved I was divorced.

SOOOO.

you need to get a copy of that paper either from her or from the court, if you know which court. That then needs to be translated into English.

it is only a sheet of paper and almost looks like the marrigae certificate.

thats all there is to it

Good luck

I understand that a new stamp is put on the back of the marriage cert. at the Amphur where the marriage was registered.

This could then be translated and certified by the Thai Embassy in the country of residence of the husband.

All supposition - but I will try to establish facts in the next few days.

That will do it. But the cooperative ex will have to produce the actual divorce document to enable a certified copy and competent translation to be done.

• 3 months later...
you need to get a copy of that paper either from her or from the court, if you know which court.  That then needs to be translated into English.

thats all there is to it

Right, that is what I actually did, with the translation certified at the Foreign Ministry.

Everyone here is actually right, but in this case, we didn't have the option of having the gentleman appear with his ex-wife at the Amphur with their two marriage certificates, so the court route was the only option.

I went to the amphur, too, but they told me their records had never been updated since the marriage, i.e., the court result had not been cross-referenced to the amphur. so as far as the amphur could tell, the couple was still married, and would be until they brought in their original marriage certificates along with a copy of the court order, which neither had done. The ex-wife was not going to give away her only copy of that document to send to her ex-husband. They instructed me to go to the court and get a certified copy of the judgement, and then go to the Foreign Ministry for a certified translation, and send that to the ex-husband. They told us their years of experience dictated this was sufficient.

It all makes sense, and further research has revealed others who have remarried successfully with this documentation.

All the best!

you need to get a copy of that paper either from her or from the court, if you know which court.  That then needs to be translated into English.

thats all there is to it

Right, that is what I actually did, with the translation certified at the Foreign Ministry.

Everyone here is actually right, but in this case, we didn't have the option of having the gentleman appear with his ex-wife at the Amphur with their two marriage certificates, so the court route was the only option.

I went to the amphur, too, but they told me their records had never been updated since the marriage, i.e., the court result had not been cross-referenced to the amphur. so as far as the amphur could tell, the couple was still married, and would be until they brought in their original marriage certificates along with a copy of the court order, which neither had done. The ex-wife was not going to give away her only copy of that document to send to her ex-husband. They instructed me to go to the court and get a certified copy of the judgement, and then go to the Foreign Ministry for a certified translation, and send that to the ex-husband. They told us their years of experience dictated this was sufficient.

It all makes sense, and further research has revealed others who have remarried successfully with this documentation.

All the best!

That's all it takes :o Good for you.