Moving To Los - Ship From Us Or Buy In Thailand?

phormio

I'm moving(permanently) from the US(east coast) to Thailand with my Thai wife and 11 month old and was looking for suggestions on whether its worth shipping stuff in(I'm paying for shipping out of pocket) or buying new in Thailand.

Items such as:

household furniture,

electronic goods(computers, XBOX, stereos, etc),

baby car seats, toys, and furniture

I don't know enough about current Thai prices, import duties, and shipping costs to figure out , on my own, what's makes the most sense.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

All but top line/newest items are now available here in Thailand at or very near the low price you pay in the USA. Electric items need to be usable on 50hz electric supply and at 230 volts (although that is easy to change with a transformer - one mis-plug could end its life). This is a very humid country (most places) so much of your overstuffed furniture might be subject to mildew if not kept dry.

I would have a garage sale or give to charity.

I just moved here from the US with a 1 year old baby. I have checked out a few of the baby supply shops, and I am glad I brought a bunch of toys and gear with me. Strollers for instance, are a lot more expesive here, car seats also, so I would at least bring that. Those are easy to bring as carry-ons anyway. Toys such as Fisher Price (Little People) are also a lot cheaper in the US, and the selection here is not very good. But check out the brand "PlanToys" when you get here, they are wooden toys made in Thailand, my baby loves them!

Furniture is cheap here, so I wouldn't bother bringing any. Shipping overseas is really expensive, I know!

Hope this helps a little,

have a nice one!