Prosecutors Vow To Arrest Thaksin Upon His Return To Thailand

george

Does anyone really think Thaksin will come back at the moment? Why would he?

If so, why hasn't he come back before now? When he left he took all those suitcases with him. Why? Was that someone who was only going to a meeting abroad on behalf of his country and then coming straight back to continue his office here?

I know exceedingly little about politics and the workings, through lack of interest really, but give the man his due. He isn't stupid!

If PPP had won the election outright, yes, I believe he would have come back, and was possibly relying on it, but since they didn't he's using other tackticks, like always in the limelight, just popping over to Hong Kong for a visit and the much publicised celebrations with PPP members after the elections.

This must really be winding up the 'I hate Thaksin elites' who are scared stiff that he will come back, hence, the heading 'Prosecutors Vow to Arrest Thaksin Upon his Return to Thailand'.

When asking the Thai people where-ever I go, what their opinion is, everyone has still backed Thaksin even when they know all about his misdeeds.

Yes, he's taken but he gave back some too,

we had money in our pockets when he was here, now we don't,

we could see the Doctor for 30baht, now we can't,

we had work when he was here but now we don't,

which foreigner wants to put their money here now when they don't know if they will get some back,

he told us to help the foreigners because they would help us and teach us new ways, new styles and new work,

the others take too but they never give back anything and now the foreigners are too scared to come.

Also, when I have asked them if they think Thaksin will come back, they all believe he will.

Even if he is arrested and put in prison? Yes! He is famous, it doesn't matter, he won't stay there long! Everybody will help him.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which foreigner wants to put their money here now when they don't know if they will get some back,

he told us to help the foreigners because they would help us and teach us new ways, new styles and new work,

the others take too but they never give back anything and now the foreigners are too scared to come.

Well said :o Thailand's goal is with no doubt to overcome being a 3rd world nation. They were on the right track with TRT in the government. Foreign investors knew where the country was headed and they believed in it. Now the military coup threw back Thailand 10 years or more on that path. Investors now will take their money elsewhere, like Singapore, where the political situation is safer.

Well said :D Thailand's goal is with no doubt to overcome being a 3rd world nation. They were on the right track with TRT in the government. Foreign investors knew where the country was headed and they believed in it. Now the military coup threw back Thailand 10 years or more on that path. Investors now will take their money elsewhere, like Singapore, where the political situation is safer.

Priceless!! :o The TV Thaksinistas have surpassed themselves today with this little love-in of their hero. :D

Toxin himself had so much faith in the political situation and safety of Thailand as a place to do business under his own regime that he sold Shincorp sattelites off to Singapore, stashed his money in British Virgin Islands bank a/c's and avoided paying any tax to his own govt. Real nationalist that guy! :D

Toxin himself had so much faith in the political situation and safety of Thailand as a place to do business under his own regime that he sold Shincorp sattelites off to Singapore, stashed his money in British Virgin Islands bank a/c's and avoided paying any tax to his own govt. Real nationalist that guy! :o

But the government would only have wasted it, helping the poor out of poverty, erm ....

Priceless!! :o The TV Thaksinistas have surpassed themselves today with this little love-in of their hero. :D

Toxin himself had so much faith in the political situation and safety of Thailand as a place to do business under his own regime that he sold Shincorp sattelites off to Singapore, stashed his money in British Virgin Islands bank a/c's and avoided paying any tax to his own govt. Real nationalist that guy! :D

Thanks for proving my point. A few pages ago, everyone was calling Thaksin an extreme nationalist that had to be stopped before he got too powerful. Now you're making fun of him for not being nationalist and having sold everything to Singapore. Whatever he does, its wrong. Whatever he does, he's bad. Its like Bill Gates. Everyone in the IT industry makes fun of him and calls Microsoft evil and Windows bad - yet almost everyone uses it every day.

Lets face it, he built a company and sold it for profit. What's wrong with that? He found a loophole in the law that saved him billions in taxes. Lets be honest here for a second. Put yourself in his shoes. ShinCorp is your company. You're faced with the choice of either paying billions in taxes or not. What would you do? We all hate paying taxes, I'm sure everyone complaining about what he did would have not paid billions in taxes either. Nobody does, nobody ever will, if they don't have to.

Toxin himself had so much faith in the political situation and safety of Thailand as a place to do business under his own regime that he sold Shincorp sattelites off to Singapore, stashed his money in British Virgin Islands bank a/c's and avoided paying any tax to his own govt. Real nationalist that guy! :bah:

Thanks for proving my point. A few pages ago, everyone was calling Thaksin an extreme nationalist that had to be stopped before he got too powerful. Now you're making fun of him for not being nationalist and having sold everything to Singapore. Whatever he does, its wrong. Whatever he does, he's bad. Its like Bill Gates. Everyone in the IT industry makes fun of him and calls Microsoft evil and Windows bad - yet almost everyone uses it every day.

Lets face it, he built a company and sold it for profit. What's wrong with that? He found a loophole in the law that saved him billions in taxes. Lets be honest here for a second. Put yourself in his shoes. ShinCorp is your company. You're faced with the choice of either paying billions in taxes or not. What would you do? We all hate paying taxes, I'm sure everyone complaining about what he did would have not paid billions in taxes either. Nobody does, nobody ever will, if they don't have to.

The only point that has been proven is that irony is wasted on some. :D

You said that now, post-coup and post-"democratic" elections that foreign investors would turn to politically-stable Singapore to invest their money, because of a lack of Toxin in charge, when if they had the business sense of Dear Leader they would have been doing it then by following his patriotic lead. They would also be taking all steps to avoid paying taxes and cheating their countries anyway they could, just like your hero.

But wait, he's just like Bill Gates, a successful CEO who is much maligned and misunderstood right? And anyone who criticises must just be jealous of his dosh and business acumen right? Wrong! He's nothing like Bill Gates, as Toxin was supposed to be running a country for the good of the nation, not a business for the good of his family and a few cronies and hanging on toadies. But because he treated Thailand like his own personal company with him as CEO (something he was apparently proud of and didn't deny), and forgot that with power comes responsibility to the nation and crown, then he has messed up what could have been a long run at the top. The Emperor has been shown to be not wearing a stitch and if he thinks he can come back and people will continue to bow down before him, then he is sadly mistaken. Of course there'll be some in the provinces who still see him as the saviour and worship the ground he walks on, but there are too many out there now who see him genuinely for what he is, and will not take any return lying down. Then there are the small legion of foreigners like yourself he bamboozled, for which there is little rational explanation. :D

And by the way, his nationalist leanings come a very distant second to his personal avarice and vanity, which have always ruled the roost. :D

Edited by plachon

Thanks for proving my point. A few pages ago, everyone was calling Thaksin an extreme nationalist that had to be stopped before he got too powerful.

He was out for himself, and his rich friends, wanted to run the country only for himself. I don't myself recall calling him an extreme nationalist, more corrupted by power, and money.

Now you're making fun of him for not being nationalist and having sold everything to Singapore. Whatever he does, its wrong. Whatever he does, he's bad. Its like Bill Gates. Everyone in the IT industry makes fun of him and calls Microsoft evil and Windows bad - yet almost everyone uses it every day.

He changed the law, 48 hours before the sale, to enable the deal to go through. The loophole was one he had created only days earlier. Does this sound like a PM who runs things for the benefit of the country ? Or for his own personal benefit ?

This must really be winding up the 'I hate Thaksin elites' who are scared stiff that he will come back

...Not to mention some "I hate Thaksin Farangs" on Thaivisa, worried about being able to sit in a bar until 3am. :o

:D Cheers, that man ! :D:D

We are, of course, toasting the return of the Head Waiter, hopefully with more beers ! :D

Edited by Ricardo

Thanks for proving my point. A few pages ago, everyone was calling Thaksin an extreme nationalist that had to be stopped before he got too powerful.

He was out for himself, and his rich friends, wanted to run the country only for himself. I don't myself recall calling him an extreme nationalist, more corrupted by power, and money.

Now you're making fun of him for not being nationalist and having sold everything to Singapore. Whatever he does, its wrong. Whatever he does, he's bad. Its like Bill Gates. Everyone in the IT industry makes fun of him and calls Microsoft evil and Windows bad - yet almost everyone uses it every day.

He changed the law, 48 hours before the sale, to enable the deal to go through. The loophole was one he had created only days earlier. Does this sound like a PM who runs things for the benefit of the country ? Or for his own personal benefit ?

And you think the junta has not done the same?

With Thaksin's massive penetration in all spheres of the government the junta has enough enemies who can dig up all the dirt they can.

A year and a half passed and there's nothing.

Sorry: Thaksin is not accusing the coup makers of anything, in fact he wants reconcilliation. (see recent newspaper articles). He does not need, or want, to dig up dirt on anyone.

I think you know very well that the MILITARY came in with allegations of corruption, and they have done very little if anything to get something together that would hold up in a court of law.

I see a lot of people not understanding very basic things about this case, also recently in the BKK Post postbag submitted letters. Such as the misconception that Thkasin somehow had to pay tax on selling his own shares... I can only assume those people set foot in other establishments than banks or stock broker offices, because there simply is not, and never has been, tax on selling shares.

But I digress... I think I've convinced just about anyone in this discussion capable of forming an objective opinioin, and the rest (all three or so of you. :o ) well.. Enjoy your lives.

Allegations of corruptions predate the coup by several years, it's just that under Thaksin they were never been allowed to be investigated.

As for taxes - they should have paid the tax when they consolidated stocks held under different names outside of Stock Exchange, two days before the big sale.

AEC has discovered several other companies that violated stockholding rules for politicians. He should have never been allowed to become the PM in the first place.

For those unaware... taxes were paid.

The money for the overdue taxes has now been taken...

Assets of Thai ex-premier's kin seized

BANGKOK, Thailand—Thai tax authorities have seized assets worth about $34.2 million *1,037,970,013 Baht* from family members of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, an official said Thursday.

The assets, seized for unpaid taxes, were in the form of stocks, land, and bank accounts, said Assets Examination Committee spokesman Sak Kosaengrueng.

Thai authorities had already frozen more than $2.1 billion *63,735,000,801 Baht* controlled by Thaksin and his family since he was ousted by a coup in September 2006 after being accused of corruption and abuse of power.

Revenue Department Chief Sanit Rangnoi last month announced that his agency would seize the assets of two of Thaksin's adult children because they failed to pay $38 million in taxes from the family's sale last year of its shares in one of Thailand's biggest telecommunications groups, Shin Corp.

The shares had belonged to Ample Rich, a holding company owned by the former leader's daughter Pintongta and son Phantongtae.

The Assets Examination Committee -- a corruption investigation team set up after Thaksin was deposed -- ordered tax authorities in April to collect the unpaid taxes from Pintongta and Phantongtae. Both refused to pay.

- Associated Press

For those also unaware, Thaksin has 2 outstanding arrest warrants and the cases are waiting for his return.... other investigations of his other corrupt actions are still ongoing... this is not a situation where investigators have "failed to prove" anything wrong.

The Supreme Court issued arrest warrants for Thaksin and Pojaman in August over separate graft charges linked to a real estate deal in 2003.

In September a Thai criminal court issued another arrest warrant against the former first couple over charges tied to alleged fraudulent filings to the Securities and Exchange Commission in 2003.

I see a lot of people not understanding very basic things about this case, also recently in the BKK Post postbag submitted letters. Such as the misconception that Thkasin somehow had to pay tax on selling his own shares... I can only assume those people set foot in other establishments than banks or stock broker offices, because there simply is not, and never has been, tax on selling shares.

BANGKOK, Thailand—Thai tax authorities have seized assets worth about $34.2 million *1,037,970,013 Baht* from family members of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, an official said Thursday.

The assets, seized for unpaid taxes, were in the form of stocks, land, and bank accounts, said Assets Examination Committee spokesman Sak Kosaengrueng.

Thai authorities had already frozen more than $2.1 billion *63,735,000,801 Baht* controlled by Thaksin and his family since he was ousted by a coup in September 2006 after being accused of corruption and abuse of power.

Revenue Department Chief Sanit Rangnoi last month announced that his agency would seize the assets of two of Thaksin's adult children because they failed to pay $38 million in taxes from the family's sale last year of its shares in one of Thailand's biggest telecommunications groups, Shin Corp.

The shares had belonged to Ample Rich, a holding company owned by the former leader's daughter Pintongta and son Phantongtae.

The Assets Examination Committee -- a corruption investigation team set up after Thaksin was deposed -- ordered tax authorities in April to collect the unpaid taxes from Pintongta and Phantongtae. Both refused to pay.

- Associated Press

Hobbs, it seems that the Revenue Department disagree with you, about the tax-liability arrising from the sale of Shin Corp shares ? Of course they may be in error, but I would have thought, that they were likely to know the relevant tax-rules rather better than us farangs ??

- Associated Press

Hobbs, it seems that the Revenue Department disagree with you, about the tax-liability arrising from the sale of Shin Corp shares ? Of course they may be in error, but I would have thought, that they were likely to know the relevant tax-rules rather better than us farangs ??

In fact, as I recall, the Revenue Department initially agreed with Hobbs- (which led to the director being pushed out when the army came in). As the article above states- it was the Junta appointed AEC which 'ordered tax authorities... to collect...."

Please feel free to correct me if I have my facts wrong.

Edited by blaze

He changed the law, 48 hours before the sale, to enable the deal to go through. The loophole was one he had created only days earlier. Does this sound like a PM who runs things for the benefit of the country ? Or for his own personal benefit ?[/color]

I didn't say that.

I think that the Internal Security Act, passed at the last minute before the election, is questionable. I have already posted elsewhere, that I think it should be revoked by the new PPP-coalition government or any other new government, as a high priority. Unless they feel they will need its powers themselves, to suppress the wave of public protest which might errupt, should Thaksin return to find his court-cases white-washed away.

Although I don't think this law was passed, for the personal financial-benefit of Sorayud, or his family, or supporters.

He changed the law, 48 hours before the sale, to enable the deal to go through. The loophole was one he had created only days earlier. Does this sound like a PM who runs things for the benefit of the country ? Or for his own personal benefit ?[/color]

I didn't say that.

I think that the Internal Security Act, passed at the last minute before the election, is questionable. I have already posted elsewhere, that I think it should be revoked by the new PPP-coalition government or any other new government, as a high priority. Unless they feel they will need its powers themselves, to suppress the wave of public protest which might errupt, should Thaksin return to find his court-cases white-washed away.

Although I don't think this law was passed, for the personal financial-benefit of Sorayud, or his family, or supporters.

Can an act be revoked without the senate? The senate will be composed of the very people who passed the act: NLA members. What is involved in repealing a bill in Thailand?

I didn't say that.

Can an act be revoked without the senate? The senate will be composed of the very people who passed the act: NLA members. What is involved in repealing a bill in Thailand?

Some might say that the act was passed specifically to protect the financial interests of Surayuths major supporters- to protect them from anyone who might in the future seek to redress the financial inequities inheirant in Thai society.

In fact, as I recall, the Revenue Department initially agreed with Hobbs- (which led to the director being pushed out when the army came in). As the article above states- it was the Junta appointed AEC which 'ordered tax authorities... to collect...."

The first people to declare there were no taxes due were Prime Minister Thaksin and Finance Minister Thanong Bidaya. Revenue Department was in no position to hold its own opinion after that.

The current AEC and Revenue Department charges are not different from what Law Society of Thailand said right from the start.

Thanong Bidaya was also Chairman of Securities and Exchange Comission that basically cleared Thaksin's children of concealing assets after the deal (five million fine is not even a slap on the wrist for them).

This is an interesting issue - conflict of interest. Some people argue that since Thaksin got votes, he can bend the law as he pleases.

That man was standing in fron of judges, with the whole nation watching, and he was weeping - "it was an honest mistake".

Only a few months ago it was discovered he was signing away sales orders for his "nominee" accounts for years after that.

- Associated Press

It was a Revenue Dept. finding and determination...

Thailand to seize assets of Thaksin's children

BANGKOK - Thailand is hunting the assets of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's children after they failed to pay $355 million in taxes and fines relating to the sale of the family empire, a tax official said on Wednesday.

The Revenue Department has sent letters to banks and financial firms searching for assets belonging to Thaksin's son and daughter, Phantongtae and Pinthongta, said Sanit Rangnoy, the head of the department.

"We expect to be able to seize those assets from those financial institutions from early December," Sanit told Reuters.

The seizure began after the department's appeal panel upheld a ruling by an anti-corruption body set up by the government.

The deadline for the 12 billion baht ($355 million) back tax and fine payments had passed, allowing tax officials to start the seizure, Sanit said.

Phantongtae and Pinthongta, both in their 20s, acquired the Shin shares through an offshore company which Thaksin founded at 1 baht each.

They then sold 329 million shares in Shin, which has interests in telecommunications, satellites and television, to Temasek at 49.25 baht each.

- Reuters

Thailand targets Thaksin children's assets

BANGKOK - Thailand's Revenue Department is making inquiries of varied agencies for updates regarding the wealth of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's son and daughter, Panthongtae and Pinthongta, respectively, in order to levy an estimated 12 Billion Baht in sales taxes, plus fining them or possibly seizing the assets, according to Department Chief Sanit Rangnoy.

The department has asked the Bank of Thailand, the Stock Exchange of Thailand, the Land Department, banks and financial firms to provide facts and figures pertaining to the possession of stocks, real estate, bank accounts and other property which had not as yet been foreclosed by the Assets Examination Committee.

The sum of taxes to be collected from Panthongtae and Pinthongta would essentially correspond to the totals of their unfrozen assets, according to the revenue chief.

Their wealth could soon be frozen or confiscated on the orders of the Revenue Department, should the deposed prime minister's children fail to provide bond against the taxation within 30 days after the department's final notice has been lodged.

In order to appeal for tax shelter, Panthongtae and Pinthongta are legally required to present a bond out of their unforeclosed wealth, while those assets earlier frozen at the order of the AEC will not be accepted, he said.

The estimated 12 Billion Baht tax mainly incurred from the sales of Shin Corp shares from the Shinawatra family to Singapore's Temasek Holdings last year.

- MCOT

She sure could use her Dad's magical voodoo elephant wand about now as she's catching it from another entity. November will be an interesting month for her...

Revenue Dept Warns Shinawatra Siblings to Pay up Taxes

The Revenue Department has issued a warning to the children of the deposed premier to pay more than 10 billion baht in outstanding taxes on the sale of Shin Corp shares by mid-November. If they do not do so, their assets are to be seized.

Revenue Department Director-General Sanit Rangnoi revealed the department has issued a notification to Panthongtae and Pinthongta Shinawatra, children of ousted Premier Thaksin Shinawatra, to pay the 11.2 billion baht in outstanding taxes on the Shin Corp share sale by mid-November.

If the two refuse to pay, the department will proceed with seizing their assets to pay the taxes.

Sanit says the department has more authority under the law than the Assets Examination Commission so they should be able to seize the vast amount of assets belonging to the two Shinawatra siblings, to pay for the taxes.

He adds the two have the right to appeal the tax payment, but that the collection of the tax will have to go ahead, separate from the appeals process.

- Thailand Outlook

Edited by sriracha john

Thaksin deserves to get his come-uppance.

Conman, fraudster and his cohorts need to be prosecuted or Thailand will become the laughing stock place of the world.

Go get him.

i feel that thaksin was a very good business operator who made some very good deals, which where close to the wire when we talk about legal , however he made a lot of money and many people are sick as parrots . he did look after the thai people who needed looking after , which is why he is still so popular . imo

yea but you forget something he didn't want to pay tax, as a PM sneaking around and avoid paying tax, what kind of message is that coming from a leader of the country. bad PM make bad govern, people didnt get sick of his money making technik, actually he didnt make his money he stole it from the country, by using the country resource to make his money from the people expense.

only if he would of give some money back to the government after the sale of shin. i'll bet you none of this would of happen.

yea but you forget something he didn't want to pay tax, as a PM sneaking around and avoid paying tax, what kind of message is that coming from a leader of the country. bad PM make bad govern, people didnt get sick of his money making technik, actually he didnt make his money he stole it from the country, by using the country resource to make his money from the people expense.

only if he would of give some money back to the government after the sale of shin. i'll bet you none of this would of happen.

Maybe post 254, from the previous page will help you before you make a final decision.

If you were around in the 1990s, you would realize he made his billions in the telecommunications industry as well as owning 60 more companies.

The company he sold to Singapore was HIS company. No taxes were paid on this sale as there is no capitol gains tax in Thailand.

He became prime Minister after the economic collapse.

During his terms, which, by the way, he won by landslides, unemployment was the lowest in the world and the Thai stock market was one of the best in the world, doubling in 2003.

Thaksin, paid the IMF loan early and the Thais, in general enjoyed economic expansion like they have never seen before.

Probably the least corrupt guy in Thai politics.

The election, on Dec.23rd proves the majority like the guy. After all, this is the 4th time he (his party) won big.

Good riddance to the corrupt military rulers.

As mentioned in Plus's post on the previous page taxes on the Temasek deal should have been paid when he transferred the shares outside the stock market prior to sale Thaksin didn't become PM after the economic collapse, that was Chuan who with Tarrin and Supachai formed a base for economic recovery, Thaksin reaped the benefits of that when he came PM.

The Thai stock market performed far better in the early 90s and economic expansion was far far higher then as well.

I presume you're flaming with your sentence regarding corruption?!

Anyway, presuming Samak becomes PM and the court cases proceed against Thaksin, he will have a glorious chance to prove his innocence, won't he?

Edited by Siripon

Maybe post 254, from the previous page will help you before you make a final decision.

If you were around in the 1990s, you would realize he made his billions in the telecommunications industry as well as owning 60 more companies.

The company he sold to Singapore was HIS company. No taxes were paid on this sale as there is no capitol gains tax in Thailand.

He became prime Minister after the economic collapse.

During his terms, which, by the way, he won by landslides, unemployment was the lowest in the world and the Thai stock market was one of the best in the world, doubling in 2003.

Thaksin, paid the IMF loan early and the Thais, in general enjoyed economic expansion like they have never seen before.

Probably the least corrupt guy in Thai politics.

The election, on Dec.23rd proves the majority like the guy. After all, this is the 4th time he (his party) won big.

Good riddance to the corrupt military rulers.

As mentioned in Plus's post on the previous page taxes on the Temasek deal should have been paid when he transferred the shares outside the stock market prior to sale Thaksin didn't become PM after the economic collapse, that was Chuan who with Tarrin and Supachai formed a base for economic recovery, Thaksin reaped the benefits of that when he came PM.

The Thai stock market performed far better in the early 90s and economic expansion was far far higher then as well.

I presume you're flaming with your sentence regarding corruption?!Anyway, presuming Samak becomes PM and the court cases proceed against Thaksin, he will have a glorious chance to prove his innocence, won't he?

I'm not flaming anyone! My post was offering a different opinion that was written by another poster. My personal post is now highlighted in RED.

Pojaman's coming back, just heard on ASTV.

Khunying Pojamarn to return home Tuesday morning

Wife of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will return to Thailand on Tuesday, a police source said Monday.

Khunying Pojamarn is scheduled to arrive at Suvarnabhumi Airport from Hong Kong at about 8.15am.

She is expected to face arrest as a court has issued an arrest warrant for her and her husband on an alleged abuse of power to buy Ratchadapisek land.

The Nation

Edited by Tony Clifton

The company he sold to Singapore was HIS company.

Sure, except it's illegal for Prime Minister of Thailand to own any company, much less the market leader in telecoms. He shouldn't have been allowed even to run in the elections.

The election, on Dec.23rd proves the majority like the guy.

Just a correction - 40% doesn't make the majority, and in party list vote his party got even less than Democrats.

Pojamarn to return home Tuesday morning

Wife of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will return to Thailand on Tuesday, a police source said Monday.

Pojamarn is scheduled to arrive at Suvarnabhumi Airport from Hong Kong at about 8.15am.

She is expected to face arrest as a court has issued an arrest warrant for her and her husband on an alleged abuse of power to buy Ratchadapisek land.

The Nation

How this guy uses his family as shields... or in this case, as someone to test the waters or to try out the 5 day-old tuna/mayo sandwich to see if it's still good... is mind-boggling.

Touching down in 10 and half hours... it'll be an interesting scene.

Edited by sriracha john