Prosecutors Vow To Arrest Thaksin Upon His Return To Thailand

george

I am not sure but don’t monks give up their wealth? Perhaps that may have been one of the(this is a bad idea) reasons it did not happen. Giving up what he really worships just did not set well.

Can anyone verify this for me please?

May I politely point out that you could have asked ask a Thai of frankly any reasonably informed foreigner - almost anyone would know -about the rules applying to a temporary ordination into the monkhood.Most Thai Buddhist males at some time are ordained into the monkhood to make merit, to study scriptures and to prepare for a responsible moral life.Monks naturally have no wealth or significant belongings according to Buddhist precepts but those ordained for a relatively short time are not expected to give up their secular wealth while they are monks (though of course having no access to it while in the monkhood).It doesn't look as though Thaksin willl enter a monastery on his return but whether he does or not, his wealth is not relevant nor would he be obliged to dispose of it.

I agree it takes time to become familiar with the Thai world even though even well informed travellers would be familiar with the elements described above.Probably some humility is in order before spouting off on all kinds of subjects when one is clearly still learning the basic fundamentals.

I thought that is what I did by posing the question here. :o

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People’s Power Party Deputy Secretary-General Nopadol Battama affirmed that ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will return to the nation as he proclaimed in a recent press conference.

Nopadol also dismissed rumors that Thaksin expressed the urge to enter the monkhood as a type of penance to the kingdom. He said that the former premier has never mentioned expressed such a desire but did avow to return to Thailand in April.

Mr. Nopadol said such a rumor was probably started to encourage confusion on the matter and exploit time of political uncertainty.

So, now apparently there was some substance to the rumor denied by Thaksin's lawyer, who also incidentally is assigning blame for the rumor to a temple abbot. Nice one, Noppadope.....

Meanwhile, the exiled former prime minister had a yearning to enter the monkhood when he wanted to return to Thailand late last year, Phra Phrom Vajirayarn, the abbot of Wat Yannawa in Bangkok, said yesterday.

"Thaksin wanted to be ordained as a way of showing his respects to His Majesty the King on his 80th birthday," the abbot said.

The abbot confirmed rumours on Monday that Thaksin would like to become a monk once he returns to Thailand.

The abbot said Thaksin had two temples in mind.

The first one was Wat Nongwaeng in Khon Kaen, in the Northeast. He used to go through a ritual to remove bad luck at this temple when he was fighting his asset concealment case in 2001. The other temple was Wat Rongtham Sammakhi in Chiang Mai, his hometown.

"But because of changing circumstances, Thaksin could not carry out the plan," the abbot said.

The abbot denied Thaksin would be ordained at his temple, but said he was close to the former premier's family who often visit the temple.

"I don't think Thaksin will enter the monkhood for the time being," he said.

- The Nation

:o

img003.jpg

The Nation

It's how and why democracy works. .....If someone votes for interests which are not his own - .........our immediate financial concerns, our security concerns, our understanding of how how the nation's economy can best be shaped to improve our personal economy, our moral values, our personal sense of social justice and compassion etc etc. But in the end, they all come down to our own needs.

...there's no contradiction in this...?

If "our" stands for the good, the welfare and the financial gains of the ruling mob, in this country, i agree, if other wise I still have no clue what these excuses have to do with the Title "Prosecutors Vow To Arrest Thaksin Upon His Return To Thailand" of this Thread?

Is the discussion about world politics or about: "Prosecutors Vow To Arrest Thaksin Upon His Return To Thailand"? I wonder....what is all this "others too" condoning about - I wonder?

@srirachajohn: good one! this is extra-topping on the pizza - he would just try ANYTHING, ANYTHING, no matter what and they, who eagerly await the presents... and free credits would again love him, adore him and offer tamboon.... well, well, well... this guy is the epitome of....

Edited by Samuian

Thaksin faces long road home, even with allies in power

BANGKOK — Deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra now has his allies at the top of Thailand's government, but his homecoming remains months away as he tries to clear a slate of graft charges, analysts said Tuesday.

The leader of the pro-Thaksin People Power Party (PPP), Samak Sundaravej, was voted in Monday as prime minister and a new government is expected to take office by early next week.

Before the PPP's victory in last month's elections, Thaksin had confidently predicted that he would return home from self-imposed exile in Britain in February, once the new government was installed.

Key People Power Party (PPP) member Chalerm Yubamrung promised supporters at a rally at Sanam Luang that ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra would return to the country on Valentine's Day, Feb 14, if the pro-Thaksin party was elected to government.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1720145

"Even though a PPP-led coalition is taking over, that doesn't mean prime minister Thaksin will return home earlier than May," Thaksin spokesman Noppadon Pattama told AFP.

"The government will not interfere in any of Thaksin's court cases. We will allow the judicial process to take its course," he added.

- AFP

Well at least it provides a time frame when the next coup will hit. Thaksin keeps moving his return date out as he recalculates how long it will take him to stack the deck in his favor.

Moving the date out suggests resistance in the agencies he wishes to influence. It also suggest events that could trigger the next coup in that Thaksin’s government influence in independent agencies is one of the things that was cited for the first coup by Sonthi.

You keep talking about 'the next coup'... You're beginning to sound like an individual predicting the end of the world, but being forced to push the date further and further ahead.

Honestly, a coup is very unlikely firstly because there's no appetite for it, and secondly because there was a lot more opportunity to commit malicious acts against the restoration of a government the people chose earlier on before, during and immediately after those elections.

I pray that Thailand will never see a coup again.. But then I'm an optimist.

You keep talking about 'the next coup'... You're beginning to sound like an individual predicting the end of the world, but being forced to push the date further and further ahead.

Honestly, a coup is very unlikely firstly because there's no appetite for it, and secondly because there was a lot more opportunity to commit malicious acts against the restoration of a government the people chose earlier on before, during and immediately after those elections.

I like your post.

Whatever happens, it will be fun, we will al survive it, and.... eventually, we will all die! Lets worry less and enjoy the life that we have here.

Anybody going to live forever?

Yes I can tell you have not been through the threads much. I suggest you go and check on what the percentage of accuracy I have on my predictions.

However yes there are a few unknown things like the state of the EC decisions that could lead to dissolving the PPP or more accurately the TRT again that must be considered first.

Yes I can tell you have not been through the threads much. I suggest you go and check on what the percentage of accuracy I have on my predictions.

Phew, that was a large number of posts to go through..! :o But the percentage is about 5 to 10%, though it depends a little if you count repeatedly making the same prediction over and over again, or stick to counting only individual predictions.

However yes there are a few unknown things like the state of the EC decisions that could lead to dissolving the PPP or more accurately the TRT again that must be considered first.

PPP is not going to get dissolved, it's going to fall apart on its own, then come together again with slightly different parties/factions. (Add that as a prediction of my own)

A strategy that would have been FAR preferable for TRT, too, thus not burdening the Thai political system with a military coup.

PPP is not going to get dissolved, it's going to fall apart on its own, then come together again with slightly different parties/factions.

Sounds like how Thai politics has always worked.....a series of faction realignments punctuated with military dictatorships.

The sitting government dissolved by the courts?

Political chaos.

Probably riots in the streets with several dead.

Military intervention to restore order.

And more prolonged political chaos destroying the Thai economy even further with no resolution in sight.

Naw. I think the courts will go for political stability in the national interest.

[

PPP is not going to get dissolved, it's going to fall apart on its own, then come together again with slightly different parties/factions. (Add that as a prediction of my own)

A strategy that would have been FAR preferable for TRT, too, thus not burdening the Thai political system with a military coup.

I think the PPP is not going to fall apart before the coalition does.

It remains to be seen if the hit man Samak can push through the essential PPP changes before the coalition partners jump ship.

Political chaos.

And more prolonged political chaos destroying the Thai economy even further with no resolution in sight.

Naw. I think the courts will go for political stability in the national interest.

Yes, it's a tough one, but this is what courts are supposed to do - rule in the name of justice, everyone is equal, remember?

You can't allow mob rule instead, they tried that in 2001 and look where it got them. These people never stop, but it doesn't mean the courts should give up either.

Luckly it's a long long time before PPP's case gets to the courts, at least half a year, and the coalition would be destroyed by then already (Chart Thai and Matchima cases).

Political chaos.

Yes, it's a tough one, but this is what courts are supposed to do - rule in the name of justice, everyone is equal, remember?

You can't allow mob rule instead, they tried that in 2001 and look where it got them. These people never stop, but it doesn't mean the courts should give up either.

Luckly it's a long long time before PPP's case gets to the courts, at least half a year, and the coalition would be destroyed by then already (Chart Thai and Matchima cases).

Do you honestly believe justice is blind in Thailand?

Lets be realistic shall we?

Political chaos.

Do you honestly believe justice is blind in Thailand?

Lets be realistic shall we?

Ando, for the most part Thai courts are multiples better than you think. Of course, there is always the odd decision that has me wondering what they were thinking, but I guess the same could be said for the courts in all countries. The issue here is that before the courts can give an opinion on the PPP, the case has to be elevated by the Election Commission (EC) to the Constitutional Court. From what I have seen, the EC has not been willing to make any hard decisions. They allowed the votes to be counted at the poll site which put a great deal of pressure on those upcountry to vote as they were told (they would have probably voted for the PPP anyway, but that doesn't condone vote buying - in my view). The EC followed this with the reported refusal to look at proof of vote buying that was being presented by P-Net.

When the Supreme Court ruled that they couldn't opine on voting irregularities directly, the EC then began requesting to see proof on voting irregularities. It almost looked like the EC was trying to cover themselves for not getting involved in issues that the Supreme Court ruled they should be involved with.

Where this will all lead is unknown. My view is at this late stage should the EC elevate the case now to the Constitutional Court, they will rule either that it is too late or that Yongyuth is innocent to avoid having to rule on the PPP. At this point, the dissolution of the PPP would, as you mention, only lead to political chaos. We have been there and don't need to do this again.

Dr. Thaksin may return before May

The People Power Party (PPP) deputy secretary-general, Mr. Noppadol Pattama (นพดล ปัทมะ), says the deposed Prime Minister and disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party former leader, Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra (ทักษิณ ชินวัตร), plans to return to Thailand before May this year.

Mr. Noppadol, who is also the legal advisor of the Shinawatra family, says it is possible that Dr. Thaksin will come back to Thailand before May, but he will not return to the country right after the royal endorsement of the new Cabinet.

Mr. Noppadol says it would not be necessary to seek extradition of the ousted Prime Minister since the new government led by the PPP will provide security and protection for all Thai citizens. According to Mr. Noppadol, people had been living in fear over the past year.

As for the Cabinet lineup, the PPP core member says it should be clearer in the next couple of days.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 February 2008

Noppadol says it would not be necessary to seek extradition of the ousted Prime Minister since the new government led by the PPP will provide security and protection for all Thai citizens. According to Noppadol, people had been living in fear over the past year.

and those "people" were Noppadope...

Ex-premier possibly back in Thailand before May

BANGKOK - Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, in exile overseas since the September 2006 coup that toppled his government, will possibly return to Thailand before May this year, his legal advisor and deputy secretary general of the People Power Party (PPP) said Friday.

Noppadol Pattana, who is a legal advisor of the Shinawatra family and tipped to become foreign minister in the new government, denied a report that Thaksin will travel back to Thailand immediately after the new Cabinet takes office.

"There is however a possibility that he will return before May," he said. "An extradition is unnecessary as the former premier has intended to come back."

The deposed prime minister had earlier said he would come back after the election and the new government formed. His wife, Pojaman, said last week he would return to fight corruption charges in May.

The PPP-led new government has assured safety for the ex-premier, he said, adding that he is fully aware of the safety issue since he himself has been living in fear in the past year.

- MCOT

Edited by sriracha john

Noppadol says it would not be necessary to seek extradition of the ousted Prime Minister since the new government led by the PPP will provide security and protection for all Thai citizens. According to Noppadol, people had been living in fear over the past year.

and those "people" were Noppadope...

Ex-premier possibly back in Thailand before May

BANGKOK - Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, in exile overseas since the September 2006 coup that toppled his government, will possibly return to Thailand before May this year, his legal advisor and deputy secretary general of the People Power Party (PPP) said Friday.

Noppadol Pattana, who is a legal advisor of the Shinawatra family and tipped to become foreign minister in the new government, denied a report that Thaksin will travel back to Thailand immediately after the new Cabinet takes office.

"There is however a possibility that he will return before May," he said. "An extradition is unnecessary as the former premier has intended to come back."

The deposed prime minister had earlier said he would come back after the election and the new government formed. His wife, Pojaman, said last week he would return to fight corruption charges in May.

The PPP-led new government has assured safety for the ex-premier, he said, adding that he is fully aware of the safety issue since he himself has been living in fear in the past year.

- MCOT

Well I can see where are already back to pre coup information from the government. Much of it has nothing to do with reality and the governments stance again is preferably not.

New Cabinet to Have 6 Deputy PMs

< snipped >

Meanwhile, People Power Deputy Secretary-General Noppadon Pattama confirmed that ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra will not be returning to Thailand right after the Cabinet is formed but will most likely come back in May. He also said Thaksin will not return as an extradited fugitive.

- Thailand Outlook

ThaksinMonk.jpg

Matichon

With appreciation to 2bangkok for pointing out the over-looked corned of this magazine cover:

WelcomeHome2.jpg

At the bottom left of the cover it reads: Let's run away.

[The sentence is a title of a recent Thai comedy movie. The speaker of the sentence should be a monk, considering the second person pronoun Yome]

=====================================================================

2bangkok also elaborated further on the main magazine cover:

It reads: WELCOME HOME - Thakino Pikku

"Pikku" is the title for a monk and "Thankino" is the supposed name for Thaksin as a monk. The head monk would give each new monk a new monk-like name based on their given name.

Edited by sriracha john

"within days".... :o

Waiting for Thaksin

Ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is likely to return from exile within days, after completing a tour of South America, the Matichon newspaper reported exlusively on Friday. The newspaper, quoting "an informed source in the People Power Party" now ruling the country, said Thaksin intends to get his legal fight under way against corruption charges. "He will return to Thailand and report to police to be charged, and to fight the cases filed against him," the newspaper report claimed. But he hopes to remain in Thailand only a week, to handle legal matters, according to the report. Then the ex-premier intends to ask the court for permission to travel while on bail, and head abroad again.

The report could not be verified, and in fact clashed with numerous other claims of the timing of the return of the controversial ex-premier - which could cause protests and even violence, depending on how it proceeds.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=125802