Prosecutors Vow To Arrest Thaksin Upon His Return To Thailand

george

Priorities?????

Image67777777.jpg

Thaksin Shinawatra

Poll: Government Should Focus on Helping People Instead of Exiled PM

A recent survey showed the majority of Bangkok residents desire for the government to focus on helping the people in overcoming living difficulties posed by the current economic downfall as oppose to working on legal problems faced by deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his family.

The survey by ABAC Social Innovation in Management and Business Analysis Center was conducted on 1,459 respondents residing in Bangkok and nearby provinces between last Thursday and Saturday.

According to Center director Dr. Noppadon Kannikar, survey results revealed that 77.8% of the respondents called on the People Power Party-led coalition government to help solve problems for the people prior to working on problems faced by Thaksin.

Meanwhile, 4.6% of the respondents voted in favor of helping the deposed premier first.

The last 17.6% claimed that the government should simultaneously solve the problems for the public and help out the deposed Prime Minister with his corruption charges.

- Thailand Outlook

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreign Minister: PM won't meet Thaksin in Cambodia

Foreign Minister Noppadon Pattama denied rumours that Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is going to meet with ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra during his visit to Cambodia. Samak is scheduled to go to Cambodia on March 3rd for the first visit to ASEAN countries after he became prime minister. Samak's trip came amid news reports that Thaksin will play golf with Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen. "I do not want to give any opinions regarding the ousted premier, and I do not want people to perceive that he has any power in the current government," Noppadon told reporters. "The prime minister's visit is on behalf of the government."

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=126021

Edited by sriracha john

Yes sir, Cambodia now. I wonder what deals he is doing today as Prime Minister of Thailand. I mentioned this in a passing comment a few days ago but more and more it is looking to be the real deal. What business does he have in Cambodia? Perhaps we could interest him in being point man on a landmine hunting expedition seeing is how he like to be the leader.

Yet another change to the grand entrance return date.... pushing it up three months

Justice Minister voices concern for Thaksin safety

Justice Minister Sompong Amornwiwat expressed concern for safety of ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra if he is to return to Thailand. He said Thaksin is loved and hated by different groups of people, so anything can happen to him. He also said that he believes Thaksin will not inform anyone prior to his return. His statement came amid reports that the deposed PM may come back earlier than expected. Panthongtae, Thaksin's son, told media at a launch of an entertainment magazine on Tuesday that his father will return to Thailand next month. He said he has spoken to Thaksin last week, and that he is in good health. The deposed PM also said he misses Thailand, according to his son. Deputy PM Somchai Wongsawat, Thaksin's brother-in-law, said he did not know that the ousted PM plans to return in March. He admitted, however, that he has not

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=126038

Edited by sriracha john

Justice Minister: Thaksin's return a personal issue

BANGKOK - Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra should have informed people close to him, rather than the government, on his schedule to return to Thailand, Justice Minister Sompong Amornwiwat said Wednesday.

He was referring to an interview on Tuesday by Thaksin's son, Panthongtae, who said his father would return to Thailand in March.

Sompong, himself a Thaksin classmate, said he has not been contacted or informed on the former premier's return from exile abroad, adding that Thaksin should be treated fairly and the government must be responsible for his safety on Thai soil.

"The government doesn't have to prepare anything specially for him. It only has to take care of the safety issue since the fomer premier is widely liked and disliked by many people," said the justice minister.

Deputy Prime Minister and Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat said he has not been in contact with the ex-premier and his return was up to his own decision.

"I don't think we have to advise him since he is well-informed about the situation in Thailand," said Somchai who is Thaksin's brother-in-law. "The legal cases against him in court are no problem. He will have to show up before to the court once he is in Thailand."

A few cases against the former premier are pending in Thailand's court system.

Foreign Minister Noppadon Pattama, former legal advisor to the Shinawatra family, said earlier that Thaksin would return to his home country within May this year.

- TNA

Edited by sriracha john

I would not put a lot of faith in any of this. If the EC give a thumbs down next Tuesday on Mr. Y. I suspect Thaksin will either tuck his tail between his legs and go back to his favorite Bangers and Mash restaurant, or insist on some sort of drastic changes. Considering how much money he spent to be the puppet master of this government, watch the strings be pulled.

yep, and in todays Nation one can read: "Samak denies he plans to meet Toxin in Cambodia." All rumours of course, no stage act, nope! All honest people, especially the "elected" spearhead of the whole bunch!

Source:

"nobody will interfere, because nobody has to anymore, till the return everything will be set up...already!"

Only remember the CNN and the Al Jazeera interviews... :o he says what ever he feels fit to... his age age and the magnitude of his career years, he honestly believes he will get away with anything - that is why I believe - that he IS on the payroll, I don't think a second he will be going his own way, no way!

Can you detect the arrogance of not even caring to hide what they are doing, just deny it. Thaksin only did that when he was angry and that started just about the start of July 2006. No doubt at all in my mind Thaksin is extremely angry and will be looking for some serious vengeful revenge.

What business does Thaksin have playing golf or whatever with a leader of a country unless it is country to country business. More signs he is doing so as the Prim Minister of Thailand.

Thaksin 'can fight charges'

Deputy Prime Minister and Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat yesterday dismissed suggestions Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung would try to prevent former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra from returning home.

Somchai was referring to an article written by "Pra Dab" and posted on the website Hi-Thaksin. The anonymous writer attacked Chalerm and his son Wan, predicting the two could set up barriers to stop Thaksin's return.

Somchai said the two had nothing to do with Thaksin. "Thaksin can return home to fight the charges,'' he insisted.

Pra Dab said by appointing Wan as Secretary to the Deputy Health Minister was like digging a big hole for Thaksin.

"Thaksin may fall into the hole at any time,'' he wrote.

The Hi-Thaksin website, created by a pro-Thaksin group, has recently been attacking Chalerm, especially since Wan's appointment.

Somchai denied reports of internal conflicts, saying all parties had come to terms over the appointment of Secretaries and Advisors to ministers.

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee denied reports of conflicts in the People Power Party about the appointments despite what was written on the Hi-Thaksin website. The government would not close the website because people have the freedom to express their opinions.

Deputy Prime Minister and Industry Minister Suwit Khunkitti called on those who criticized the recent appointments in the PPP to give the appointees time to prove themselves.

- The Nation

===========================================================================

Given the history of this website, it's extremely difficult to believe that any opinion expressed on it is not completely and directly approved of by Thaksin.

As for this disingenuous spiel about "not closing it down" so that people may have "the freedom to express their opinion", it way over-the-top... PPP wouldn't close a TRT lemonade stand... let alone a major vehicle for getting their rhetoric out.

Edited by sriracha john

Wheee.... Thaksin Nostalgic Day... :o

Thaksin suspense

Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra says he will be back in Thailand soon - and will announce the exact date on Tuesday. In a telephone call from Beijing to a crowd of supporters in Chiang Rai yesterday, Thaksin said he was coming home soon. "On Tuesday, I'll have the answer as to when I'll come back," he told about 1,000 jubilant supporters who gathered at a market in Chiang Rai to celebrate "Thaksin Nostalgic Day" yesterday. More than 200 banquet tables were set up with banners stretching across the venue hailing the ousted PM's homecoming plan. The event was organised by supporters of Thaksin's, who call themselves the Thaksin Loyalists Club and are led by the owner of a beef noodle eatery. At yesterday's party the members, some fighting back tears, listened to Thaksin speak in both central and northern dialects for about 10 minutes. The former PM said House Speaker Yongyuth Tiyapairat was also with him in Beijing. "Aren't you excited that one of us from Chiang Rai finally made it as House Speaker?" asked Thaksin. Memorabilia such as CDs chronicling Thaksin's life, caps, shirts and leaflets with updated news on the deposed PM were distributed at the party. A table was arranged for participants of the event who were not already members of the club to sign up for membership. The gathering was broadcast live through a community radio station and recorded by the PTV team.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=126111

===============================================================================

He didn't waste any time with using his just re-issued diplomatic passport....

The Nation / August 5, 2007:

Another blow for Thaksin is that the Chinese authorities have decided to terminate his one-year multiple-entry visa.

Thai former PM Thaksin "will be back soon"

BANGKOK -- Thailand's former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted during a coup in 2006 is reportedly to be back in Thailand soon as local newspapers said he would announce the exact date on Tuesday.

In a telephone call from overseas to a crowd of supporters in Thailand's northern city of Chiang Rai on Saturday, Thaksin said he was coming home soon.

"On Tuesday, I'll have the answer as to when I'll come back," he told about 1,000 jubilant supporters who gathered at a market in Chiang Rai to celebrate "Thaksin Nostalgic Day" on Saturday, local English newspaper the Bangkok Post Sunday reported.

More than 200 banquet tables were set up with banners stretching across the venue hailing the ousted prime minister's homecoming plan. The event was organized by supporters of Thaksin's, who call themselves the Thaksin Loyalists Club.

The Nation newspaper also reported the event. It said Thaksin was now in Cambodia at the invitation of the country's Prime Minister Hun Sen for a round of golf.

Thaksin was also quoted as saying that he had no plan to stay in Thailand for a long period after returning because he has to travel overseas for business. Some Thaksin supporters said they heard the ousted premier might fly in directly to his home-town province of Chiang Mai, bypassing Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport.  

- Xinhua

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In keeping with the thread title, I'm presuming he can be arrested upon arrival in Chiang Mai just as easily as he would be in Bangkok.

I would further presume that he would be necessarily transported quickly, under custody, to Bangkok in order to face the courts there for his outstanding arrest warrants, the same as Potjaman was, as I wouldn't think this legal processing could occur in Chiang Mai.

I would lastly presume that he would be prohibited from traveling outside of Thailand, after his bail is processed in the Bangkok courts, which is the same bail condition that was issued to Potjaman.

In keeping with the thread title, I'm presuming he can be arrested upon arrival in Chiang Mai just as easily as he would be in Bangkok.

I would further presume that he would be necessarily transported quickly, under custody, to Bangkok in order to face the courts there for his outstanding arrest warrants, the same as Potjaman was, as I wouldn't think this legal processing could occur in Chiang Mai.

I would lastly presume that he would be prohibited from traveling outside of Thailand, after his bail is processed in the Bangkok courts, which is the same bail condition that was issued to Potjaman.

These are all theoretical options I suppose but fall into the category of wish fulfilment.The reality is that a deal is being thrashed out now and , if successful, bail will be arranged in advance and/or the charges will be dropped or frozen.The quid pro quo will be something like a pledge from Thaksin not to seek elected office for a specified time.Pure conjecture on my part but of one thing I'm certain, the ludicrous fantasies about Thaksin's arrest and detention ain't going to materialise.In short there will be a short term compromise while the Prem and Thaksin networks limber up for the final battle.

Not wish fulfillment at all, but rather simply those options listed were based on factual and historical precedence with his wife having already tested the waters. As they are listed on the same warrants, why do you think they would treat him any different than his wife, who incidentally was treated quite well for a wanted fugitive?

What's so "ludicrous" about expecting the same for him? What's so "fantastical" about recognizing precedence?

Not wish fulfillment at all, but rather simply those options listed were based on factual and historical precedence with his wife having already tested the waters. As they are listed on the same warrants, why do you think they would treat him any different than his wife, who incidentally was treated quite well for a wanted fugitive?

What's so "ludicrous" about expecting the same for him? What's so "fantastical" about recognizing precedence?

In case you hadn't noticed there has been a general election in which the party favouring Thaksin easily won.That changes everything.Anyway no need for us to debate.Just wait and see who is right.

My prediction is that the Thaksinophobes will increasingly start fantasising about coups and assasinations.Basically they've lost the plot.

You speak of final battle. Unless you have not noticed and as mentioned before, only when the crematorium door closes behind Thaksin will the battle be final.

You really must stop using the Google Serbo-Croat or Polish to English translation tool.I have no idea what you're trying to say other than you wish Thaksin was dead.I think most people have already gathered that.

In case you hadn't noticed there has been a general election in which the party favouring Thaksin easily won.That changes everything.Anyway no need for us to debate.Just wait and see who is right.

My prediction is that the Thaksinophobes will increasingly start fantasising about coups and assasinations.Basically they've lost the plot.

Well, in and amongst the flames and assertions of being ludicrous fantasies and losing plots, at least you qualified your own comments as being pure conjecture... so that's something, I suppose.

As for who's "right or wrong" in predicting events, I'm not usually a participant in that whimsical game. I simply was expecting the same for him that happened for his wife. If that doesn't occur, then that would be an injustice... but as that's SOP for Thaksin anyway, it wouldn't come as any tremendous surprise.

Edited by sriracha john

only when the crematorium door closes behind Thaksin will the battle be final.

This sounds like some rhetoric that might have been delivered concerning some university students in Oct of 1976....before the death of that one that Samak claims to have seen.......scary!!!!

Chownah

Well, in and amongst the flames and assertions of being ludicrous fantasies and losing plots, at least you qualified your own comments as being pure conjecture... so that's something, I suppose.

As for who's "right or wrong" in predicting events, I'm not usually a participant in that whimsical game. I simply was expecting the same for him that happened for his wife. If that doesn't occur, then that would be an injustice... but as that's SOP for Thaksin anyway, it wouldn't come as any tremendous surprise.

As was entirely clear from the post, my personal conjecture refererred to the deal which I presume is being negotiated now.

You should stop calling people who disagree with you "flames".It's a tired device and I think the mods have a handle on genuine flames.

My main point really was to suggest discussion is really unproductive, especially as events will soon make the situation clear.Your last comments come close to suggesting you agree with me anyway.

As was entirely clear from the post, my personal conjecture refererred to the deal which I presume is being negotiated now.

You should stop calling people who disagree with you "flames".It's a tired device and I think the mods have a handle on genuine flames.

My main point really was to suggest discussion is really unproductive, especially as events will soon make the situation clear.Your last comments come close to suggesting you agree with me anyway.

What's tiring is your repeated assertion that I accuse people that disagree with me as flaming. People disagree with me every day, yet I don't accuse them of flaming.

Calling other members ludicrous, fantastical, plot-losing, irredeemable, not lucid, nonsensical, confused, muddled, monkey (to quote just this morning's rendition of your offerings) to other posters speaks for itself.

But don't worry... I'll back off pointing these things out as I do agree that the mods are the best solution to this repetitive pattern, it just seems like a shame to monopolize their time so much by continually reporting your inflammatory posts... but it seems to be the only solution as my repeated hopes to involve myself, as well as the hope that others can involve themselves, in non-inflammatory discussions with you are continually dashed. Oh well, so be it...

Returning to the topic,

Samak says he not informed that Thaksin would return to Thailand soon

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Sunday that he was not aware that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra would return to Thailand soon.

Speaking to reporters after his Samak's Talk programme, Samak said Thaksin had not informed him that he would return to the country.

Thaksin phoned in and announced to his supporters, who were gathering at a function in Chiang Rai, that he would know by Tuesday exactly when to stage his come back. Thaksin made the call from Cambodia where he came for a round of golf with the Cambodian prime minister.

- The Nation

====================================

Cambodia? or China? :o

Edited by sriracha john

These are all theoretical options I suppose but fall into the category of wish fulfilment.The reality is that a deal is being thrashed out now and , if successful, bail will be arranged in advance and/or the charges will be dropped or frozen.The quid pro quo will be something like a pledge from Thaksin not to seek elected office for a specified time.Pure conjecture on my part but of one thing I'm certain, the ludicrous fantasies about Thaksin's arrest and detention ain't going to materialise.In short there will be a short term compromise while the Prem and Thaksin networks limber up for the final battle.

Do you mean that there are closed door negotiations between Thaksin's lawyers and the judges going on now? It is possible, but Thaksin's influences with the courts had been on a wane for a while now. Does he have any leverage? There will be serious repercussions if the courts appear to be under his show like Constition Court was in 2001.

They'd need a big reason not to ask him for his passport as a condition for the bail, yet he already announced he'd fly off to China next. Either he played up the public, or there really is a deal in place.

Some PPP leaders met Thaksin in Beijing

Some leading members of the People Power Party met former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in Bejiing on Saturday to discuss his return to Thailand, a source from the party said Sunday.

According to the source, those who met Thaksin, included House Speaker Yongyuth Tiypairaj, Foreign Minister Noppadon Patama and party-list MP Prakiart Nasimma.

- The Nation

Anti-Thaksin groups prepare for his return

Leaders of an anti-Thaksin alliance will meet today to discuss its future direction in the wake of what it calls an alarming trend of political power being distorted to benefit the interests of one person at the expense of the country.

"There are signs of a move to help Thaksin [shinawatra] return to Thailand, especially reports that the Foreign Ministry has returned his red diplomatic passport," Suriyasai Katasila, coordinator of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), said yesterday.

He said the PAD insisted in principle on the government solving the problems of the country rather than doing everything to help Thaksin return to Thailand safely. However, the PAD does support the former prime minister's return to defend himself against charges he faces.

Thaksin on Saturday telephoned supporters in Chiang Rai at an event called "We Miss Thaksin". He told the 1,000-strong crowd that he would know by tomorrow when to stage his comeback.

Thaksin also said he had no plans to stay in Thailand for a long period as he needed to travel overseas on business.

Suriyasai said he did not know whether the PAD meeting today would lead to new demonstrations against the former premier. He hoped the PAD would not cause people to stage protests again.

The PAD has four topics for discussion at the meeting.

First, a hidden agenda behind the transfer of permanent officials.

Second, the independence and fairness of the justice process, which faces interference from political quarters.

Third, the government's drug crackdown policy that allegedly sanctions extrajudicial killing.

Fourth, the return of Thaksin and the consequences.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has said Thaksin had not spoken to him about returning soon, while Foreign Minister Noppadon Pattama has backed Thaksin's right as citizen to return, saying Thai society should accept it.

"His return won't affect the work of government or officials. He announced he has quit politics. He just wants to defend himself against the charges against him," Noppadon said yesterday.

According to a PPP source, Noppadon was among a group of top party members who met Thaksin in Beijing on Saturday to discuss his return. House Speaker Yongyuth Tiyapairat and party-list MP Prakiart Nasimma were also present.

Pracha Prasopdee, a People Power Party MP from Samut Prakan, said he expected about 100,000 Thaksin supporters to welcome him at Suvarnabhumi Airport when he returns.

Nisit Sindhuprai, a PPP Roi Et MP and Chairman of the "We Love Thaksin" club, said: "I think we [PPP MPs] and his fans will flock to the airport because we love and miss him. It's a long-awaited day".

Democrat spokesman Ong-art Klampaiboon warned yesterday that Thaksin must not create public chaos when he returns. The government should treat him as an ordinary citizen, he said.

- The Nation

Do you mean that there are closed door negotiations between Thaksin's lawyers and the judges going on now? It is possible, but Thaksin's influences with the courts had been on a wane for a while now. Does he have any leverage? There will be serious repercussions if the courts appear to be under his show like Constition Court was in 2001.

They'd need a big reason not to ask him for his passport as a condition for the bail, yet he already announced he'd fly off to China next. Either he played up the public, or there really is a deal in place.

The honest answer is that I don't know what is the state of negotiations.It would be unlike Thaksin not to have prepared the ground in advance of his arrival.

Our new Foreign Minister in action...

Noppadon certain Thaksin to return 'soon'

"Very soon," was the response the audience of Sanom Pao Station, a TV Channel 5 program, received from Foreign Minister Noppadon Pattama when he was asked when ex-PM Thaksin would return to Thailand. Noppadon was also questioned about House Speaker Yongyuth Tiyapairat’s trip to China to meet with the ousted leader, to which he said it was a "personal visit" with no official schedule. According to the minister, Thaksin, whose diplomatic passport was revoked, now has the privilege of using the red-cover passport once again after it was returned to him.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=126127

Well, the show goes on... everybody is busy behind the curtains to prepare.... it might become the showdown of power... if he and his wife do get acquitted every Opponent will know he managed again...he got his diplomatic passport back already - on which grounds?

I don't believe ONE Word of Samaks statements regarding his relations to Mr.Toxin, he's only PM because of him!

The entire event is sooo entertaining, hoe they keep it up for some time comin'! :o