Thai Name For South Pattaya Road ?

lovebangkok

Just to help on the pronunciation:(in blue), slow pronouncement would help:

Beach road Chai Hard (chai haad)

2 road Sai Song (sai sawng)

South pattaya road Pattaya Tai (put-tar-yar tai)

Central pattaya road Pattaya Klang (put-tar-yar klarng)

Those pronunciations don't help at all. There's no English sound for "aa" (except the bleating of a sheep in baa) and I've never heard Pattaya Klang pronounced klarng. Chanman's were better.

I've never heard Pattaya pronounced Put-tar-yar. How often do you hear Thais pronouncing the 'r'?

Edited by tropo

Those pronunciations don't help at all. There's no English sound for "aa" (except the bleating of a sheep in baa) and I've never heard Pattaya Klang pronounced klarng. Chanman's were better.

edwardandtubs,

I just wanted to improve the ways non-Thais pronouncing some Thai words. Nothing wrong with Chanman's helpful comments.

Your understanding is correct that the right pronunciation cannot be made in English sound and the sound of the bleating of a sheep in baa is quite correct. All you need is to put the 'h' at the beginning of 'aa' instead of 'b' and put the 'd' after 'aa'. Then you have the sound of "h-aa-d", just like "Haad Yai", the southern town of Thailand.

As for "Klarng", that again is the right pronunciation made by all the Thais. An abrupt 'klang' is not as clear as a long-drawn 'klarng'.

tropo,

I've never heard Pattaya pronounced Put-tar-yar. How often do you hear Thais pronouncing the 'r'?

tropo,

Thais pronounce the 'r' everyday. Non-Thais tend to pronounce Thai words in their throat especially when it come to the vowel "are" that causes a lot of Thais having to cringe their faces or smile of the sound. When it comes to this vowel, one has to express out the sound just like the sound of Mr. edwardandtubs's understanding of "the bleating of a sheep".

If you say klang with short "a" you are saying something different....(tease or warehouse?) "glaang" has a long vowel sound - yes?? - กลาง - written in Western script "K" pronounced nearer "G"

ใต้ - dtai ai long vowel with falling tone?? - T/D sound

The trouble is, Thai transliteration into the Roman script isn't designed to be helpful to native English speakers. When we're helping each other out on the internet though I think we can ignore the "official" transliteration, which typically produces a sound nowhere near the actual Thai word, and instead write it how it sounds in English - like Chanman did.

Edited by edwardandtubs

Lol, sounds like Put Put...but that's another meaning....

And I agree, there is not "r"....PATT-TAI-YAAA...my 5 cents... :o

Mine was the easy way to be understood and remember at the same time, Wilko is correct in his wording however many find this dificult to pronounce. Irene sorry way off mark :o

chanman,

You are right, yours is easier to remember and commonly used. I just thought of making life easier for you guys, phonetically. But I can see my hopeless attempt.

Lol, sounds like Put Put...but that's another meaning....

And I agree, there is not "r"....PATT-TAI-YAAA...my 5 cents... :o

there's a recent thread on this.....

Chai actually means edge and Hadd means beach and tannon means road so with that rationale in mind

Tannon Chai Hadd means Road at the edge of the beach.

If you want to be pedantic about these things.

Please remember that there is no such place as Pattaya, it is Pattya. In the Thai spelling the second vowel sound is ee not ae. other than that Dtai is south Klang is central as many of the scholastic have mentioned, however do not worry too much about tones because 99.99% of the time context will get you through along with vowel length. The hardest to pronounce is Nuea which gets me from time to time.

Yes I am bored, sorry.

Edited by Binkie

One thing critically missing in these (pedantic?) discussions of Thai pronunciations is the use of tones. The tones make all the difference in the world when a farang is trying to be understood by a Thai.

I think it is impossible to represent correct tones with phonetic spellings in non-Thai script.

I think it is impossible to represent correct tones with phonetic spellings in non-Thai script.

It would require a standard well defined and followed. Other languages went from their local alphabet to the international alphabet in the past (e.g. Vietnamese) but it took time and dedication. For the Thai language, there are several different phonetic tone representations, most with their own limitations, and no accepted method accross the board. Accents and underlines can be used to represent correct tones but there is no commonly accepted method, unfortunately.

Then again, most languages are not written exactly phonetically. English and French are major examples of "you just have to know how to pronounce what you read" languages, German is a bit more strict.

Well, all that is indeed OOT (that pronounces ....?)