Internet Scammers Cheat Investors Of Bt5 Billion

george

Internet scammers cheat investors of Bt5 bn

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation has urged the public to be aware of fraudulent online investment schemes after discovering more than 100 websites had scammed about Bt5 billion in the past year.

Colonel Piyawat Kingket, head of the DSI's Office of Special Criminal Cases, said the department expected fraudulent schemes to increase next year due to the sluggish economy and low interest rates for savers.

Most of the websites lure people to invest online with offers of rewards such as cars, houses or cash. But investors quickly realise that their money has been stolen.

"There was no real money and no investment on the website," Piyawat said.

The DSI also found most webmasters involved in fraud cooperated with foreigners to register their websites in Thailand.

After collecting enough money, they would then close their site and disappear.

The DSI estimated about Bt5 billion was cheated from investors via the Internet over the past year.

--The Nation 2007-12-31

One of my students said she had a job cold calling people in Western countries. I asked her if she had heard of the movie Boiler Room. She had. I'm not getting into it. She's a student in one of Thailand's top universities. If this country cared about anything they could easily develop etc. The people in charge, in power, and the elite know exactly what's going on here. 2008 will be another year of prosperity - for them.

The DSI also found most webmasters involved in fraud cooperated with foreigners to register their websites in Thailand.

--The Nation 2007-12-31

How dare they say that Thailand doesn't have enough home-grown talent in scamming ! :o

After reading what most members of Thai Visa believe about I think the figure is much higher maybe 10 Billion English Pounds in 2007 and as high as 20 Billions English Pounds in the coming year

--The Nation 2007-12-31

How dare they say that Thailand doesn't have enough home-grown talent in scamming ! :o

Well maybe those scammer start learning their trade and tricks from here http://thescambaiter.com/forum/ and http://www.lookstoogoodtobetrue.com/index.aspx if we bear in mind that there isn't free lunch in this world than we won't be the bait for the cheater.

--The Nation 2007-12-31

How dare they say that Thailand doesn't have enough home-grown talent in scamming ! :D

:o Who told you that the scammers were thais?

--The Nation 2007-12-31

How dare they say that Thailand doesn't have enough home-grown talent in scamming ! :D

:o Who told you that the scammers were thais?

The OP implies that the webmasters were local, but had foreign help, as I read & quoted it. I was expressing astonishment that foreign help had been needed, to set up Thai versions of popular international internet-scams, when we have so much home-grown talent, for example the 'sick water-buffalo' ploy.