What Is Needed To Burn Dvds So They Can Play In Dvd Players

torrenova

I'm off to get a DVD burner but I need to be able to be able to burn DVDs that can play in DVD players. I have some stuff I've downloaded from the net and its in all kinds of formats (or appears to be) and I need to put it on DVDs so I can play them in simple DVD players that cannot read DivX etc.

I know I'll need some software but just want to know whats the current favourite, best and easiest.

Any other tips on doing this much appreciated.

By the way, I'm going to try and get a Pioneer DVD burner but not sure if I can get one in Pattaya and if not, would some Samsung thing be OK ?

There are many programs out there that will convert a movie file into DVD format ready for burning a DVD.

Marcus has mentioned NERO.

I use WinAVI Video Converter. It will convert an .avi movie file into DVD format - create menus automatically - and configure if necessary to fit your movie onto a 4.5Gb disk - and then burn the DVD - all in one process (but I think it uses the NERO burn engine - which I have also).

I use it and other programs to convert my files to .avi format first. Not all programs are going to be happy with all movie formats.

So I always start off with a well prepared .avi file as the first step to converting it to DVD format - then burning.

Buy reasonable quality DVD blanks.

Dont burn at the maximum speed available if the option is available to you - choose a lower speed setting. It can help.

Pioneer / Panasonic / LG / Lite-on / Samsung = most known brands will suffice for an internal writer/reader.

The DVD movies you buy as an original are manufactured differently to the way we PC users burn DVDs - and you should check that your DVD player can play "home made" DVD disks before you get too carried away. I have an LG DVD player that will play 90% of home made DVDs - but refuses to play some where the disk is a cheapie or the burn quality wasnt terrific.

Nero 7 is ok for this kind of thing, although I did have some problems with audio and video sync with Nero. There are a lot of other programs available. The best program I have found is convertxtodvd. WinAvi as mentioned is also good. Google them. If you look in the same place you downloaded other things from the net you may even get it free...... if you know what I mean :o

The advice above it also very good! I use a good DVD+RW for the movie first (Sony, TDK) watch it and then if it's any good copy that DVD to a normal DVD to keep.

Also have you looked at getting a Divx capable DVD player they're dirt cheap these days, that way you can watch the movie in downloaded format then decide if it's worth spending 2+ hours converting it (yep, thats how long it takes)

Guest Reimar

The Pioneer are the best on the market here at Thailand.

But Nero 7 sucks! Use Nero 8 instead and you can do all you need incl. DVD Movies pp.!

Other software you've to check as mentioned. There a lot around and each of them have some "special" features. So you need to look for that which suits your need.

Media: Avoid to use Princo, there crap! I use Ridata and I'me happy with them.

Speed: burning Movies and/or Audio with 4 but max 8 speed. Data doesn't matter.

I also use winavi to convert from avi to dvd because it is very easy to use and takes only about 30 to 45 minutes to covert a full movie where all other programs take about 2 hours.For burning dvd I use 1 click dvd copy.Program is only 4 Mb and like it says just 1 click to burn a dvd.Gives you lot of options including fitting a dvd 9 onto a dvd 5 disc.

I second or third “ConvertX to DVD” it is easier and simpler to use than Nero, Just drag and drop any file and it will burn a DVD that can be played on most players. (can be had veeerrry cheap if you know where to look)

Here.

I also third and forth buying one of those new cheap players that will play most stuff straight from download. A 999Bt player from the 7-11 catalogue plays most anything including Picasa slide show.

Daffy. :o