New Bangkok Airport Taxi "service Fee"

wabear

I suppose it's just me, but does anyone else object to the 50 baht "service fee" for having some bored teenager write down the name of your destination in Thai for the taxi driver? I don't know why this bugs me, maybe just grumpy from sitting on the plane. Someone's pocket is getting filled!

I suppose it's just me, but does anyone else object to the 50 baht "service fee" for having some bored teenager write down the name of your destination in Thai for the taxi driver? I don't know why this bugs me, maybe just grumpy from sitting on the plane. Someone's pocket is getting filled!

I just wish there was a queue in Los Angeles where you could pay $1.50 to some guy who shows you where the $7.00 taxi is that takes you to your home.

You should actually be happy :o

The "organization" of the taxi services at the airport lets you off with taxi meter fare + 50 Bath.

If the taxis were left on their own you would be left with the same situation which you have at all the high pressure points in bangkok today where many taxi drivers refuse to drive you to your chosen destination and/or want to charge you a high fixed fare rate for the trip.

Edited by Fun2Fun

It IS just you...this tax existed at the previous airport as well, if you don't like it, carry your stuff to the Departures area and take an unregulated one from there, with all the caveats involved.

I usually get the public bus service.

32 Baht to Asoke/Sukhumvit stations

35 Baht into Victory.

In a hurry, I use the taxi, they are SO cheap.

300 Baht to my usual destination, hostel at Asoke.

In Auckland, NZ, it would cost well over 1,500 Baht to get to CBD.

Including about 450 Baht just for using a taxi from airports stand.

Trip into Bangers, is much further too.

Stop ya grumbling.

Edited by Zpete

I usually get the public bus service.

32 Baht to Asoke/Sukhumvit stations

35 Baht into Victory.

NO; ALL BMTA airport buses charge a flat 34 bt for any trip to/fro Swampy.

The 50 bt surcharge (its actually also at busstations and the main train station, but 20 bt) is to make up for the long time lost to the average taxidriver to be able to to join the que-up to get return fares. This should thus average 50 mins (remember: waiting IN taximeters is 1 bt/min), and often is longer at slack times (main departure time is not the same as main arrival time).

At Old Don Muang they had the chance to simply go on the main road and look for fares, hardly any chance on that at Swampy.

Compare that to the usual system in Asia with prepaid coupons (Malaysia, Indonesia, I think also Phillipp.), and there its often about DOUBLE the fare back to airport! Actually, taximeters cost roughly the ame as Normal full fare 1 person bus/train tickets for same distance in West-Europe, and allow any nr you can cram in!

The service fee is not JUST to the bored teenager. The driver gets some of it too. If it wasnt in place, there would be no taxis at the airport to pick u up. Why would they waste 2-3 hours waiting for an airport pickup without somekind of incentive?

its hardly new. its well documented on the taxi chit you are given and has been in practice for years.

if you don't like it, carry your stuff to the Departures area and take an unregulated one from there, with all the caveats involved.
ourmanflint:I've yet to pay this 50 baht fee, I don't think anyone has ever asked me for it and I just pay whatever is on the meter. And I always pick up a taxi from departures, and never had a problem!!

Yup. Get it from Depatures fl. Never had any problems.