Non-b And Work Permit When Changing Jobs

I have Non-B visa that I got on my own before I looked for work (because I was looking at investments/franchises).

Then later I started working and got a work permit. This extended the visa for another year.

Now I want to change jobs.

Will canceling and getting the new work permit cancel the non-b visa?

Is there a way to do this that it doesn't cancel the non-b visa?

The reason is, I have almost 2 years on this visa. And only need one more year and I can apply for permanent residency.

If I the non-b is canceled and I get a new one, I have to start over.

thanks

You are on extension of stay for employment and that will end at the end of employment. There may sometimes be a chance of work permit conversion (add new employee and then remove old) with the OK of both parties but would suggest you have legal consul to help if you want to check on that.

I have been in the OP's situation and my work permit was successfully changed from my old employer to my new employer without the cancellation of the initial non-B visa or its related annual extension. I changed employers in the third year of my visa i.e. during its third extension and it continued on without my having to leave the country and get another one.

So it clearly is possible but from what I was told at the time, it requires the full co-operation of both the old employer and new employer in making sure the correct documents are sent to the right office at the right time. There are a lot of documents. My new company thought it was not likely to go through and advised me I might have to make a visa run and get a new non-B but in the end it was transferred successfully.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Briggsy

I am coming to Thailand this month on a Non-imm B 1 Yr. visa, and would like to obtain a work permit that will allow me to build my own house, with my own hands. Is this allowed, and if so, what type of work permit should I apply for? Great forum and thanks for the help!