Curtains For Thailand

Firstly thanks again to everyone in this forum who has posted useful advice on first buying a condo and then furnishing it.

The last main bit we need now is curtains. You know how it is - there are certain times of day where it would be useful to close off our home to outside views :o

What we're looking for is something tailor made, where they will come, measure it all up and basically just do it all for us. Except of course choose the fabrics. We found one with materials we liked for both the master bedroom and the living room. I asked for a ball park estimate based on material we chose, but they preferred to come and measure.

The materials at the back of the sample books each said about Baht 500/yard, tho' I'm not sure whether that was the price they were selling it at, or bought it at. Anyway it seemed reasonable. For the bedroom we asked for curtain material plus-out material, i.e double fittings/threads. For the living room we wanted the main curtains plus sheer curtains i.e again double fittings/ tracks. The total bill they verbally quoted was THB 49k. This was after a discount of 25% (their usual discount was 20%). Given in each room we'd require curtains about 4-5 yards wide, and say 2.5 high, that seemed a high bill to me:

5 yards x 2.5 yards x 2 rooms = 25 yrds2 maximum. For just the curtain material at say 500 baht, that suggests around 12,500. Sheer and black out would both be cheaper materials, so let's say double it at 25k. That's a big gap between material and quote. Sure there'll be some labour, and the ties/tracks etc, but surely not that much. Seems more like UK than Thailand prices. THB 49k = around GBP 750. I don't want cheap stuff, but at the same time I want VFM. The problem is I've little clue on curtains!

Anyway two questions:

1) Is my calculation right for the way tailor made curtains are done, and does that seem a reasonable price.

More importantly

2) Can anyone recommend a good place for tailor made curtains in Bangkok?

Edited by fletchsmile

I don't want cheap stuff, but at the same time I want VFM. The problem is I've little clue on curtains!

neither did i and left it to my wife. the first estimate she got was in excess of 400,000 (our home is rather big) and which she thought was fair having european and U.S. prices in mind. i told her she should ask for more competitive quotes. we finally ended up paying ~120,000 Baht, exact material my wife selected, excellent and clean job done by the contractor (finished in less than one day), rather expensive brass curtain rails, sunblock and (partly) sheers. but that was Pattaya 1½ years ago. have no idea about Bangkok prices.

I don't want cheap stuff, but at the same time I want VFM. The problem is I've little clue on curtains!

neither did i and left it to my wife. the first estimate she got was in excess of 400,000 (our home is rather big) and which she thought was fair having european and U.S. prices in mind. i told her she should ask for more competitive quotes. we finally ended up paying ~120,000 Baht, exact material my wife selected, excellent and clean job done by the contractor (finished in less than one day), rather expensive brass curtain rails, sunblock and (partly) sheers. but that was Pattaya 1½ years ago. have no idea about Bangkok prices.

Thanks again Naam. Think we have similar philosophies - I'm not much interested in shopping for curtains either. I'm keen to just get it over and done with. The wife's the one that's mainly put off by the price, but then again she's quite tight with money to be honest. If I thought it was a fair price / vfm I'd probably try and knock them down a bit, then tell her to just go ahead. I'm even happy to overpay a bit for less hassle. :o Problem is I don't know much in this area.

Just out of interest - how many rooms did your 120k cover? So far we've only asked for the 2 main ones - main bed and living room.

Edited by fletchsmile

I've been a cheap charlie with the curtains:

- Curtains (thick cotton fabric) for 8 windows and 2 French windows, ready made from Jatujak market = 8000 Bahts including the rails (wood)

- Drill = 2000 Bahts

- Concrete plugs and screws = about 100 Bahts

- Installation: 2 sunday mornings

So, about 10,000 Bahts for a DIY installation and basic curtains. For tailor-made, I can see the price going up to 40-50,000 Bahts to include the sewing, labor for installation, and more elaborate rail system (string to open and close the curtains, etc...).

I am getting quotes currently for a 430sqm house and they range from 150k to 300k.

One material that I really wanted was just ridiculous...one shop quoted 15k psqm....another 8500 psqm....so based on one window alone that is 7m x 2.4m that wiorks out at 142k for the cheaper quote alone.

I've been a cheap charlie with the curtains:

- Curtains (thick cotton fabric) for 8 windows and 2 French windows, ready made from Jatujak market = 8000 Bahts including the rails (wood)

- Drill = 2000 Bahts

- Concrete plugs and screws = about 100 Bahts

- Installation: 2 sunday mornings

So, about 10,000 Bahts for a DIY installation and basic curtains. For tailor-made, I can see the price going up to 40-50,000 Bahts to include the sewing, labor for installation, and more elaborate rail system (string to open and close the curtains, etc...).

Thanks for the numbers. Puts things in perspective. I guess our quote is paying for sewing, labour, rails pull cords etc, so not so far out.

DIY wasn't something I minded too much in the UK, as labour was usually expensive. In Thailand I guess I've become a bit lazy/spolit over the years, when it comes to household work. I don't even own a drill any more. :o

The other thing I thought was that if we got it done properly first time. Next time, when we come to replace in the future, ready made and fixing myself would be an option, as I'd only need to replace the material.

I am getting quotes currently for a 430sqm house and they range from 150k to 300k.

One material that I really wanted was just ridiculous...one shop quoted 15k psqm....another 8500 psqm....so based on one window alone that is 7m x 2.4m that wiorks out at 142k for the cheaper quote alone.

Thanks again for the perspective. That seems to suggest they do quote in sqm or square yards. I wasn't sure whether you bought in some sort of weird width and then they measured the number of yards/ metres in length.

BTW Where's the house? Sounds a nice big size. That's hopefully the next step for us at some point in the future..., when we move out of the central BKK some day...

Edited by fletchsmile

House is in Ratchada area.

I have had 3 quotes, 1 company coming back to requote as I changed a few things and another new company coming in couple weeks.

Basically they price it by the size of the window. All my curtains or blinds are flat, if you know what I mean, so 1 sqm is 1 sqm, not drapes or such where if it was stretched out a 4 meter window may actually have 6 meters of fabric.

This is a modern home with modern blinds and curtains.

By the way, all the companies come out with samples and measure and quote. I had one company that wanted 2000b first to come and do it, they did not come and another company came and did not want to measure up everything unless I paid a deposit...they also got asked to leave. Dont take any bullshit from any company, there are so many just keep getting them around till one tows the line.

Just out of interest - how many rooms did your 120k cover? So far we've only asked for the 2 main ones - main bed and living room.

the quote you received seems to be outrageous! here's what i got for 120k. glass area approximately 34 meters plus you have to add left and right 20cm for each opening and an additonal 4.5 m (dividing my study 2 from study 1).

post-35218-1199979037_thumb.jpg

BTW Where's the house? Sounds a nice big size. That's hopefully the next step for us at some point in the future..., when we move out of the central BKK some day...

i take it that you talk about Squigle's house Fletch as mine is not for sale :D ...till they carry me out feet first :o and the Old Lady sells and moves to London (to make her major wet dream come true) :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an update:

- The reason why my calculations above were out are:

1) They charge per yard of fabric. But you're not buying 1 yard by 1 yard, these come in different widths depending on the pattern etc. Some were say 54 inches, and for sheer could be up to 300cm.

2) For "drapes" you can roughly double the amount of material. i.e they're not hung flat

Index in MBK also do curtains, which seem OK on price, with a large selection.

BTW We found an answer which suited me perfectly. Two sets of people had the brains to ask our condo developer for permission to contact the residents. One rang us directly, and arranged an appointment. The other left a name card.

First one came to visit (looks good so haven't bothered with the next yet). They brought all the samples to our place, did some measuring and we looked thru. The wife mainly looked at them, and she asked me for comment now and again, from the comfort of our sofa. Now that's my idea of shopping... :o

Wow Dr. Naam:

You could go for days in there and never bump into your wife. That is my kind of house. Two studies a den a library, how do you decide where to go next? The wife must have trouble finding you! Nice one I would give that a ten out of ten. I might be mistaken but I think a whole village could live in there very comfortably.

Wow Dr. Naam:

You could go for days in there and never bump into your wife. That is my kind of house. Two studies a den a library, how do you decide where to go next? The wife must have trouble finding you! Nice one I would give that a ten out of ten. I might be mistaken but I think a whole village could live in there very comfortably.

we recently decided that the house is too small for us :o and work has started a few days ago to enclose the pool area. not a big problem as it is already roofed and enclosed from three sides. the reason is that since today we have an additional family member.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n186/wfh80894/emc.jpg

Wow Dr. Naam:

we recently decided that the house is too small for us :o and work has started a few days ago to enclose the pool area. not a big problem as it is already roofed and enclosed from three sides. the reason is that since today we have an additional family member.

Naam you are nesting - admit it :D

Curtains remain on our adjenda

Wow Dr. Naam:

Naam you are nesting - admit it :D

Curtains remain on our adjenda

i'm not quite sure what the expression "nesting" means, that's why i can neither admit nor deny. in case it means "setup a home and have children" i have to disappoint you PKRV. my Old Lady is going to be 58 this year and i am 64 :D

The home owner is hanging up some shelves in the library watched by his faithful dog and cat.

The dog looks on adoringly and thinks - I love you, I don't know why but I love you.

The cat thinks to itself - I would have used raw plugs.

Derfinitly "Nesting"! :o

Edited by pkrv

given the housing market is skidding shop here.........

so why are household item discounts needed if things are going well.........

HomePro staging major discount campaign

Home Product Center Plc is spending 20 million baht to promote its HomePro Super Shock Sale campaign, which will run until Feb 17.The home-decoration retail chain expects sales of 1.2 billion baht from the campaign being held at all 30 branches of HomePro and HomePro Plus. More than 300 product items are being offered at discounts up to 70%.

HSBC cardholders will receive gift vouchers worth 700 baht for every 25,000-baht purchase, 2,000 baht for 60,000 baht, and 5,000 baht for every 100,000 baht. On weekends, holders will receive additional discounts up to 10%.

Home Product Center Plc is spending 20 million baht to promote its HomePro Super Shock Sale campaign, which will run until Feb 17.The home-decoration retail chain expects sales of 1.2 billion baht from the campaign being held at all 30 branches of HomePro and HomePro Plus. More than 300 product items are being offered at discounts up to 70%.

HSBC cardholders will receive gift vouchers worth 700 baht for every 25,000-baht purchase, 2,000 baht for 60,000 baht, and 5,000 baht for every 100,000 baht. On weekends, holders will receive additional discounts up to 10%.

Everybody knows the markets not that great, but this is stretching HomePro have a sale about this time every year, and they always have some sort of promotion on.

I guess you're still living outside Thailand, and still haven't got used to Thai sales... :o Discounts, promotions, prizes are all part of the culture, as are getting vouchers with your credit card or other purchases. Don't tell me you've fallen for the advertising. There'll be a few bargains. It won't be the full 300 products (out of thousands) that are the full 70% either in case you havent guessed.

Anyway cheers for the tip, we'll check it out at the weekend.

what happened to your curtains Fletch?

Didn't buy the first quote. We went back and got them to explain the quotes on their 49k - and then they went down further to 44k.

Two more quotes on the way - this time for 3 bedrooms + living room. Then we'll (she'll) decide. My intention beforehand was to get 2-3 ball park estimates, based on our measurements and description, then get the preferred one(s) to measure up and formally quote. As long as the formal quote(s) were close everything would have been fine. Seem that's not how it works tho', and they're not happy with ball park estimates, before coming out.

With hindsight the best seems to be get someone to come to your place with samples. Then get another for comparison. As their samples are different we'll likely buy a little from both anyway.

BTW Cable TV came last week, and internet plus new "second TV" are coming this week. So we're almost there :o . Still need a little more furniture, but I'll leave that to the Mrs. :D

Edited by fletchsmile

Firstly thanks again to everyone in this forum who has posted useful advice on first buying a condo and then furnishing it.

The last main bit we need now is curtains. You know how it is - there are certain times of day where it would be useful to close off our home to outside views :o

What we're looking for is something tailor made, where they will come, measure it all up and basically just do it all for us. Except of course choose the fabrics. We found one with materials we liked for both the master bedroom and the living room. I asked for a ball park estimate based on material we chose, but they preferred to come and measure.

The materials at the back of the sample books each said about Baht 500/yard, tho' I'm not sure whether that was the price they were selling it at, or bought it at. Anyway it seemed reasonable. For the bedroom we asked for curtain material plus-out material, i.e double fittings/threads. For the living room we wanted the main curtains plus sheer curtains i.e again double fittings/ tracks. The total bill they verbally quoted was THB 49k. This was after a discount of 25% (their usual discount was 20%). Given in each room we'd require curtains about 4-5 yards wide, and say 2.5 high, that seemed a high bill to me:

5 yards x 2.5 yards x 2 rooms = 25 yrds2 maximum. For just the curtain material at say 500 baht, that suggests around 12,500. Sheer and black out would both be cheaper materials, so let's say double it at 25k. That's a big gap between material and quote. Sure there'll be some labour, and the ties/tracks etc, but surely not that much. Seems more like UK than Thailand prices. THB 49k = around GBP 750. I don't want cheap stuff, but at the same time I want VFM. The problem is I've little clue on curtains!

Anyway two questions:

1) Is my calculation right for the way tailor made curtains are done, and does that seem a reasonable price.

More importantly

2) Can anyone recommend a good place for tailor made curtains in Bangkok?

We had our Bangkok home outfitted by the company at this web link: http://www.p-inter.com/index.php. Our two story, 7 major rooms (i.e., bedrooms, living room, dining area, kitchen, etc) got completed outfitted for 88,000 baht (curtains, rails, installation, etc)...plus, they also outfitted the three bathrooms, maid's room, stairs windows..."everything" throughout the house with high quality materials. We used a combination of cloth, wood, and vinyl curtains depending on the room, but the great majority was cloth curtains to include white sheer liners to go along with the downstairs curtains. From initial order date to install completion was about two weeks. The company's initial quote was 110,000 baht but my wife got that down to 88,000 within a few minutes. We be happy.

<br /><b><u>I don't want cheap stuff, but at the same time I want VFM. The problem is I've little clue on curtains!</u></b><br /><br />neither did i and left it to my wife. the first estimate she got was in excess of 400,000 (our home is rather big) and which she thought was fair having european and U.S. prices in mind. i told her she should ask for more competitive quotes. we finally ended up paying ~120,000 Baht, exact material my wife selected, excellent and clean job done by the contractor (finished in less than one day), rather expensive brass curtain rails, sunblock and (partly) sheers. but that was Pattaya 1½ years ago. have no idea about Bangkok prices.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Naam your talents as a physicist were wasted you would have made a much better domestic goddess!!! I can almost see you in your pinny (pinniform) and holding your feather duster? am I correct??? or is my vision of you about to be horribly shattered? :-0

Naam your talents as a physicist were wasted you would have made a much better domestic goddess!!! I can almost see you in your pinny (pinniform) and holding your feather duster? am I correct??? or is my vision of you about to be horribly shattered? :-0

if i could understand your question i would try to answer :o