British Passport Renewal

I need to renew my passport preferably before I go home Feb 12th, want my ne visa in new passport, has it ever taken more than 3 weeks, will be going the next few days as I have a visa run to do on my old passport Tuesday. Any feedback about turn around times appreciated.

I think processing time is about 7-10 days, but public holidays might push that to a longer time. Check the Embassy website as it has a lot of useful info, and you can always give them a call, they're pretty helpful.

I sent my passport to be renewed 3 weeks before i needed to leave the country as my visa was also due to expire. I was told it would take a maximum of 10 days. It infact took over a month and i was fined 16000bht at the airport. I had one excuse after the other from the British Embassy. Personally i would take your passport in, if it is not to inconvenient.

The cost for the passport wasa little over 8000bht if i remember rightly.

Edited by TommyGun

Renewal is now 10 working days, this is said to be owing to the additional processing required for chipping the Passport, allegedly.

Add :- This is based on experience last November, and applying, and collecting personally in Bangkok a so called Jumbo.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Twice I've obtained a replacement passport from the British Embassy in Bangkok. Both times took ten working days and the second time was advised to check with them the day before it's due date. Phoned them up no hassle, no drama "yes sir it is ready now you can pick it up from today onwards". Next day I collected it and I don't suppose I was longer than 30 minutes in the place.

Given the Thai law that requires you (as a foreigner) to carry your passport at all times, why does the Embassy (British one anyway) require to be in possession of your old passport for 10 days (or more)?
FWIW the official receipt issued by the Embassy should be carried in lieu of the passport.

Regards

Have just been into BKK to renew mine - will be ready in 14 elapsed days. Just a word of warning - due to the new picture requirements it can save a lot of hassle to apply in person, and get the picture taken at one of theshops near the emabssy.

The nearest photo shop, which the touts take you to, only opens at 9, but there is one one the major intersection just over footbridge that opens at 8