The Sqeeze Is On..

3 months ago, I applied for an extension until my next birthday in a few months, which makes me eligible for a retirement visa. I also showed my passbook with 5 mill, and the letter from my bank, photos, copies, etc...

Got 90 days, and was told to come back in 90 days for another stamp...Normal, so far. Oh, I've lived in Thailand for many many years, and have dealt many times with immgration. Always had respect for them, too.

Yesterday, I went in for another 90 day extension stamp, and the same woman officer, who remembered me, said I had to do everything again, including paying the 1900 baht again.... She added quietly that if I paid 100,000 my problems would disappear. I looked up, assuming to see a joking smile. There wasn't one. She was serious...

I've always insisted to others that immigration was fair and honest if you played by the rules. I was very dissapointed in what I heard, but of course I was not stupid enough to say anything, and I certainly feel different now about being open and honest with Immigration in the future. I see now the game has changed.

Bummer :o

3 months ago, I applied for an extension until my next birthday in a few months, which makes me eligible for a retirement visa. I also showed my passbook with 5 mill, and the letter from my bank, photos, copies, etc...

Got 90 days, and was told to come back in 90 days for another stamp...Normal, so far. Oh, I've lived in Thailand for many many years, and have dealt many times with immgration. Always ha respect for them, too.

Yesterday, I went in for another 90 day extension stamp, and the same woman officer, who remembered me, said I had to do everything again, including paying the 1900 baht again.... She added quietly that if I paid 100,000 my problems would disappear. I looked up, assuming to see a joking smile. There wasn't one. She was serious...

I've always insisted to others that immigration was fair and honest if you played be the rules. I was very dissapointed in what I heard, but of course I was not stupid enough to say anything, and I certainly feel different now about being open and honest with Immigration in the future. I see now the game has changed.

Bummer <_<

Wealth redistribution. She saw your 5 million and thought she'd take a small share. Like half a years wages.

Yes, showing her that you have 5 million Baht readily available could have brought out the temptation to solicit a bribe. Perhaps a good recommendation for the wealthy expat might be to have a special "immigration" account to show, with only the minimum required in it. Anything beyond the minimum you could keep overseas (which I certainly would) or in another account.

Maybe you thought you were trying to impress an immigration officer with your ability to support yourself - but what you really did was point yourself out as a fat turkey waiting to be plucked. :o

Without reading your account, I would have thought showing above the "requirement" funds amount you were making it easier for visa approval - but I guess we can all see what happened. Thanks for the information.

kenk3z

Got 90 days, and was told to come back in 90 days for another stamp...Normal, so far.

what exactly did the extension say in your passport?

application for extension of stay is under consideration...

or

extension of stay permited up to ...

Yes, showing her that you have 5 million Baht readily available could have brought out the temptation to solicit a bribe. Perhaps a good recommendation for the wealthy expat might be to have a special "immigration" account to show, with only the minimum required in it. Anything beyond the minimum you could keep overseas (which I certainly would) or in another account.

i agree

If documents are in order I have never had any problems at Suan Plu.

I cannot believe that this is anything but a misunderstanding - was she speaking English? Do you speak Thai?

What low level Immigration Officer (i.e. the ones manning the desks out front) would seriously expect anyone to pay Baht 100,000.- just to avoid paying Baht 1,900.- and filling in a few forms again??

Makes no sense at all.

If documents are in order I have never had any problems at Suan Plu.

I cannot believe that this is anything but a misunderstanding - was she speaking English? Do you speak Thai?

What low level Immigration Officer (i.e. the ones manning the desks out front) would seriously expect anyone to pay Baht 100,000.- just to avoid paying Baht 1,900.- and filling in a few forms again??

Makes no sense at all.

No misunderstanding. After 37 years in The Kingdom, I speak and read/write Thai ..Passed the M6 test, too. Always played the immigration game by the rules.

I was surprised, too, but mostly dissapointed, because I 've always had respect for Immigration before. But, they are Thai Police, known far and wide for institutional corruption, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

I showed my bank balance because that is what qualifies me for the extension- for one year...The stamp was a 'application under consideration' type...

And it was not Suan Pluu

Got 90 days, and was told to come back in 90 days for another stamp...Normal, so far.

what exactly did the extension say in your passport?

application for extension of stay is under consideration...

or

extension of stay permited up to <date>...

It all sounds very dodgy to me.

Did you get a receipt for each of these 90 day (1900 baht) extensions.

The maximum you can get on a "consideration" extension is 30 days!

If all this is true, then it sounds as though someone has been helping you,

at 1900 baht a time, to stay illegally, as you say you have not yet reached

retirement age!!

It should be noted here that under "Thai rules" you can say you are 50 once you reach your 49th birthday. I am not sure if this will wash with Thai Immigration.

It does for other matters.

Legal age for owning property 21, can be owned once a Thai passes the 20th birthday.

A retirement extension takes only one or two days. Not 90.

As I thought I had made it clear, this is not yet about my retirement visa, since I won't be 50 until next year. I applied under the 3 million baht deal, which is (I thought) easier to deal with. I might do the retirement visa, but might just stick with the other.

And to the person who suggested I have been here illegaly, you are wrong. I don't play that way...Nor do I give bribes to immigration when I've been square with them for 37 years

Not according to my passport. I have them for 45, 32 and 31 days during the last three years. Perhaps the 32/31 were math errors but surly not the 45 days.

((my mistake the extensions are 45, 42, 41 days - missed the 1 before the 8 on the date)) :o

Edited by lopburi3

Not according to my passport. I have them for 45, 32 and 31 days during the last three years. Perhaps the 32/31 were math errors but surly not the 45 days.

42 and 31 days under consideration for my last 2 years...like george mentioned retirement extensions are done in a few days. some thaivisa members have posted the same day as application for follow up years.

maitembot, when was the date of your last entry into thailand?

the other day, did you end up paying for a new extension that will take you past your birthday?

if not, you should be able to ask politely why your one year extension was "not approved" and did not receive another stamp allowing your stay extended to a year.

And to the person who suggested I have been here illegaly, you are wrong. I don't play that way...Nor do I give bribes to immigration when I've been square with them for 37 years

You took my comment the wrong way.

I was not suggesting the you were doing something illegal,

I was saying that the officer was going beyond the bounds of his job in giving you these extensions, and might be pocketing the 1900 baht.

If you have a receipt each time that is OK. You can claim ignorance of any wrong doing.

Recently I needed to leave the country whilst "under consideration" and my local office were frantically counting to see how to help me, as they said their maximum permited extension was 30 days. They ended up giving me an extension until the day I was due to arrive back. I was stamped in at the airport for 1 day

much to the surprise of the officer on duty.

It was a Sunday and the Monday was holiday, so I was not able to go to my local office until the Tuesday. This looked to me like an overstay of two days, but I had been assured it was OK as the office was closed. This was right and I now have my one year visa.

If other people have been getting 45 days it sounds like yet another example of the officers bending the rules to meet their own agenda.

I suspect this is happening in your case.

Good luck with the retirement visa when you reach 50.

That will allow you to stay 365 days without getting extensions every 90 days.

Edited by astral

Poster clearly inferred he was asking for time to allow application for a retirement (long stay) visa extension in his first post but then (in his normal tone) say he clearly was not asking for this but a 3 million extension (which age has never been mentioned as a requirement). He also now says he has lived here 37 years so he indeed arrived rather early in his life. He also says this was not done in Suan Pau which seems to be the only source for information for the 3 million investment visa. He must have a long story but does not seem to want to share it.

Can only guess/hope that this money was request may have something to do with the unusual nature of his visa request/proof rather than a normal action of that office.

Poster clearly inferred he was asking for time to allow application for a retirement (long stay) visa extension in his first post but then (in his normal tone) say he clearly was not asking for this but a 3 million extension (which age has never been mentioned as a requirement). He also now says he has lived here 37 years so he indeed arrived rather early in his life. He also says this was not done in Suan Pau which seems to be the only source for information for the 3 million investment visa. He must have a long story but does not seem to want to share it.

Can only guess/hope that this money was request may have something to do with the unusual nature of his visa request/proof rather than a normal action of that office.

It also indicates that he arrived hereabouts when he was 12 Lop. And it is a rather long stay to be pissing about with visa's, not to mention the obvious difficulties.

It certainly is one full o' holes story. Gimme a break

If he's for real Bobby, you could use him as a consultant to solve your problems about a longer stay visa. How he achieved it all once he reached 18 will be worth hearing. :o

Yes Dr, I am certain that he could solve all of my visa problems given his vast experience