Advise On Child Custody

happyaussie

Can anyone advise what legitimate channels someone can go through to gain child custody.

I am writing on behalf of a Thai friend who had a child to a farang. As is often the case the honeymoon is over and they split some time ago. Since the split she has maintained custody and received NO support from the father. Not one baht. Nor had she or her child heard or seen him until a few weeks ago when he came to see her and has since then taken her away. He has called a few times to let her know the child is okay. But refuses to return the child to her mothers place. Where she has been raised and goes to school.

My friend doesn't want trouble. She is happy for the father to see the child. All she wants is for the child to be returned. Could this guy take the child out of the country (mum has passport)? Is there a government dept that handles this type of thing? Does anyone know how much a lawyer might cost and whether it is worth it? Can anyone offer some advise.

Actually i had to edit this now i have re read it...

You need to tell your friend to come to a compromise with this guy..while i understand thst the guy hasnt contributed to the child up bringing he is still the father....

As a father to be soon, i hte to say it but my view would be..if i had split up with my missus and she kept the child okay fair enough..but if she palms him/her off to her family to take care of then i would go nd take care..

Lets not forgot that while 99% of the time its a mothers right to have her child with her, it isnt a given right to give them to some1 else to take care of..its either mother first then father then someone else..

but saying that i hope she sorts it out

Edited by bkkperson