Get In There, You Dancer

Most of you will know that i claimed my Irish citizenship, got the Irish passport and exercised my treaty right to have Mrs BoJangles live in the UK as a family member of an EU national.

Well, she got it yesterday. Yabba dabba dooo :bah:

I would like to publicly thank Scouse, who, without his skillful letter writing (those of you who have used his services will know what i mean) :D and advise, non of this i would have been able to do. Thanks Scouse :D

A bit of the history:-

We applied on 20th September and waited. By this time MrsBoJ Settlement Visa was due to expire but was told she could stay until the outcome of our application.

Over Christmas, this guy from the Home Oriface in Croydon, who's English was quite frankly cr4p, called me asking questions. Many times i had to ask him to repeat what he said and many times he had to ask me to repeat myself. I thought <deleted>, i've lived in the UK all my life, paid taxes since i left school and served in the forces for this <deleted> country and i'm being interrogated by a fekking foreigner, who's English is no good, about whether my wife can live with me or not :o I was going to ask if he had passed the LITUK test but thought i better not :o

On several occasions this guy told me that we should go for ILR instead and i told him NO. We don't want to as she hasn't passed the LITUK test because no one in the Home Office told us that they had changed the goal posts since she arrived. We would then have to pay for an extension and then pay again for ILR. So, no thanks, we'll go for the FREE option. ;) All they where fretting about is there 750 smackers because this permit is free, gratis. :D He then said that we should have applied outside of the UK for the EU permit, what absolute utter twaddle, that is not stated anywhere.

Anyway, i persisted and we got it yesterday (although on the letter it was granted last week). In fact, it took 6 days to get from his desk to the local post office and one day to get from the post office in Croydon to Manchester.

Once again, thanks Scouse :D

And if any of you have access to a dual national citizen of an EU country, i strongly advise that you do it this way. I never, ever thought my 25% Irish blood would come in so useful. :bah:

Well done, Mr Bojangles :D

Congratulations to you and yours ! a brilliant result ,one in the eye forthe borders and imm. jobsworths :D

MY wife will be applying in a month or two and your good news has cheered us up no end. :o

Well done, Mr Bojangles :o

Congratulations to you and yours ! a brilliant result ,one in the eye forthe borders and imm. jobsworths :D

MY wife will be applying in a month or two and your good news has cheered us up no end. :o

Cheers Ged, there is a feeling of great satisfaction i must admit ;)

Congratulationsss. Now you two can live happily after :bah: No more hassle and leave the country, visa runs up, so and so.

:D

Many thanks Legag :D

mrbojangles, although I do not know you in person, only from Bedlam, allow me to add my congratulations. It always makes me happy to see somebody win his fight against bureaucracy.

--

Maestro

Thanks very much Maestro, although i can be very stubborn when i want to fight what i think is wrong, without the Scouser it wouldn't have been possible.

P.S. I'm gonna report you in Random Posts :bah::D

Congrats Mr BJ.

I am a little confused, however. Is the UK now not part of the EU? This seems a very convaluted route to have to take. Are they saying that Ireland is 'more European' because they have adopted the currency? Sorry if this has been covered before, but I am intrigued now, not that it really matters personally as I have no Irish relatives.

Congrats Mr BJ.

I am a little confused, however. Is the UK now not part of the EU? This seems a very convaluted route to have to take. Are they saying that Ireland is 'more European' because they have adopted the currency? Sorry if this has been covered before, but I am intrigued now, not that it really matters personally as I have no Irish relatives.

The basic principal is that an EU citizen's family has the right to be together if the EU citizen moves to and works in another EU country. The oddities are that the right isn't lost if he acquires the nationality of that country, if he returns home (Surinder Singh judgement), or was born in that other country. Thus having British citizenship would similarly be useful for a Dutchman in the Netherlands.

Congrats Mr BJ.

The basic principal is that an EU citizen's family has the right to be together if the EU citizen moves to and works in another EU country. The oddities are that the right isn't lost if he acquires the nationality of that country, if he returns home (Surinder Singh judgement), or was born in that other country. Thus having British citizenship would similarly be useful for a Dutchman in the Netherlands.

Thanks for the congrats Sweetchariot

and thanks Richard for explaining the technicalities :o

Congrats Bo - you fought the good fight... and won!

Cheers Ping :o

Well done Mr Boj.

I went down that road with my missus and it worked a treat but my Irishness is 100%.

You know what Wellington said about the Irish; they make dam n fine soldiers, provided they have white officers!

cheers jennifer

• 2 weeks later...
[The basic principal is that an EU citizen's family has the right to be together if the EU citizen moves to and works in another EU country. The oddities are that the right isn't lost if he acquires the nationality of that country, if he returns home (Surinder Singh judgement), or was born in that other country. Thus having British citizenship would similarly be useful for a Dutchman in the Netherlands.

So if a UK citizen moves to France to work, then they could bring their Thai wife to France, then move back to the UK and have her come to the UK without having to go through the process normally to bring a Thai wife to the UK?

I think soon the EU will be like the US. All of the current countries in the EU will be like the states in the US. That is how the US started originally, but then became a single country. Since they have a central EU government, have trade policies, immigration policies, courts, currency... I think it is only a matter of time until all the member states should lose their seats in the UN. They should just get one seat for the EU.

So if a UK citizen moves to France to work, then they could bring their Thai wife to France, then move back to the UK and have her come to the UK without having to go through the process normally to bring a Thai wife to the UK?

Yes, that's the essence of the Surinder Singh case.

I could have done with Wales getting independence from the UK.