Sabai Sabai By Bird Tongchai

Joseph87

This was downloadable directly without passing through a website. See:

www.seasite.niu.edu/thai/music/pop/Sabaay%20Song.doc

(Is this about a guy who's unwilling to commit?

สบาย สบาย

สบาย สบาย It's OK.

ถูกใจก็คบกันไป If we like each other then we'll go together.

เพราะฉันเป็นคนไม่สนอะไร Because I'm the kind of person who isnot interested in anything ( in particular),

ไม่เคยคิดกวนใจใคร I never think of bothering anybody.

สบาย สบาย It's OK.

สบาย สบาย It's OK.

(I'm c(I'm cool; I'm "comfortable" with this arrangement.)

หากเราจะคบกันไป If we go on together,

คบกันไป go on together,

ฉันขอเพียงความรักและจริงใจ I'll ask only for love and sincerity.

ไม่เคยต้องการอะไร I won't ever want anything ( else ).

สบาย สบาย It's OK.

แล้วเธอก็คงเข้าใจ And you'll probably understand,

เรานั้นจะอยู่ เรียนรู้กันไป We'll live and learn together.

จะทุกข์จะสุขเพียงไหน However much pain and pleasure there is,

สบาย สบาย it'll be OK.

แม้วันใดที่ใจเธอเปลี่ยน Even if someday your heart should change,

ไม่เห็นจะแปลก It won't seem strange

เมื่อรู้จากปากว่าคิดจะจากฉันไป When I know from your lips that you think/plan you'll you'll lleave me.

ก็คงเข้าใจ ว่าเธอต้องไป I'll probably understand that you must go.

ก็คงเสียใจ และคงเสียดาย I'll probably feel sorry, probably feel that it's a shame.

แต่ก็ยังสบาย But I'll still be OK.

สบาย สบาย I'll be OK,

หากเธอจะทิ้งกันไป should you want to throw it all away,

ทิ้งกันไป throw it all away,

เพราะฉันเป็นคนไม่ฝืนใจใคร because I'm not a person who forces anybody.

ก็คงเลิกรากันไปแบบสบาย We'll probably break up and go our ( separate ) ways. OK.

สบาย สบาย It'll be OK.

(That'It's cool with me; I'm comfortable with that.)

แล้วเธอก็คงเข้าใจ And you'll probably understand,

เรานั้นจะอยู่ เรียนรู้กันไป We'll live and learn together.

จะทุกข์จะสุขเพียงไหน However much pain and pleasure there is,

สบาย สบาย it'll be OK.

แม้วันใดที่ใจเธอเปลี่ยน Even if someday your heart should change,

ไม่เห็นจะแปลก it won't seem strange

เมื่อรู้จากปากว่าคิดจะจากฉันไป when I know from your lips that you plan to leave. me.

ก็คงเข้าใจ ว่าเธอต้องไป I'll probably understand that you must go.

ก็คงเสียใจ และคงเสียดาย I'll probably feel sorry, probably feel that it's a shame.

แต่ก็ยังสบาย But I'll still be OK.

สบาย สบาย I'll be OK,

หากเธอจะทิ้งกันไป Should you want to throw it all away,

ทิ้งกันไป throw it away,

เพราะฉันเป็นคนไม่ฝืนใจใคร Because I'm not a person who forces anybody,

ก็คงเลิกรากันไปแบบสบาย we'll probably break up and go our ( separate ) ways, OK.

สบาย สบาย It'll be OK.

(That'(It's cool with me; I'm comfortable with that.)

Edited by DavidHouston

I was humming this song once in the presence of my girlfriend and she made me stop and explained the meaning of the lyrics. She absolutely detest this song, not because of the music, but because of the idea that men can break up with their girlfriends and carry on with their lives as if nothing much had happened. Now I only sing this song to her tongue-in-cheek on appropriate occasions.

DavidHouston - Thanks for the link though I already heard of the lyrics. I'm just wondering about the meaning of the song...as it sounds too "sabai sabai" for the relationship?

ElZorro - Hm..if the song is talking about girlfriends, then it sounds like the girl is the person who breaks up first and the man is hurt but carry on his live as if nothing happened.

ทิ้งกันไป throw it away,

เพราะฉันเป็นคนไม่ฝืนใจใคร Because I'm not a person who forces anybody,"

in the first place, I thought it's about friendship because it's not serious enough to be boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, as sometimes friends come and go.

Yeah, I don't feel like it's really a "love" song either. The lyrics and the music sound too "sabai"!

I feel it's like "Better Together" or "Upside Down" by Jack Johnson.

ElZorro, is ur gf a Thai or Westerner? I can't imagine a Thai person being offended because they would know the song, and probably wouldn't have thought too much about the lyrics.

I was humming this song once in the presence of my girlfriend and she made me stop and explained the meaning of the lyrics. She absolutely detest this song, not because of the music, but because of the idea that men can break up with their girlfriends and carry on with their lives as if nothing much had happened. Now I only sing this song to her tongue-in-cheek on appropriate occasions.

It is really just the reality of having to imagine mama's boy Thongchai, AKA Bird, breaking up with his "girlfriend" that makes people cringe a bit.

DavidHouston - Thanks for the link though I already heard of the lyrics. I'm just wondering about the meaning of the song...as it sounds too "sabai sabai" for the relationship?

ElZorro - Hm..if the song is talking about girlfriends, then it sounds like the girl is the person who breaks up first and the man is hurt but carry on his live as if nothing happened.

ทิ้งกันไป throw it away,

เพราะฉันเป็นคนไม่ฝืนใจใคร Because I'm not a person who forces anybody,"

in the first place, I thought it's about friendship because it's not serious enough to be boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, as sometimes friends come and go.

This song represents the relationship between กิ๊ก. No strings attached; men taking advantage of women while taking no responsibility. Where is the protest from the women, except for the girlfried of the OP?

Yes, my girlfriend is Thai. She is not offended by the song, but she doesn't like the ideas of free sex, dating farang style, Thai gigs, non-committed relationships, etc. Polyamory is the antipode of her ideas about human relationships. For her. a breakup would be the worst thing that could happen in a person's life, and would have to be followed by either suicide or, at the very least, monkhood. Now, in this song, Bird says that we are together because we want to, but should you want to break up, well, what can we do, no big deal, I'll carry on just fine. That's not the attitude she expects from a boyfriend.

Edited by ElZorro

I feel it's like "Better Together" or "Upside Down" by Jack Johnson.

Siamesekitty, it's funny that you should mention "Better Together" and "Upside Down" by Jack Johnson, because she absolutely loves P'Jack (as she calls him) and those two songs are amongst her favourites. Her number one song from P'Jack though is "Cocoon", a song that might be about two brokenhearted people that end up in bed. The difference with "sabai sabai" is that these are English songs, much less straightforward and my girlfriend listens to them without thinking too much about the meaning behind the words, the way I used to listen to "sabai sabai".

Edited by ElZorro