Keegan

fletchsmile

Life(s) of a Geordie Messiah  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kevin Keegan. Great guy. Very likeable.

In true Geordie fashion. Let's get to the point and answer the questions we're all wondering.

My answers:

A) Leave before end of 2008/9 season

B ) He won't win anything except sympathy, but possibly a straight jacket for admission to an institution

c) All of the above except winning anything

Edited by fletchsmile

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wins nothing, leaves before the end of 2008-2009 season, and a combination of the first.

It looks more like an appointment in desperation, rather than having any long term plan. I'm sure it will appease the fans for a while3, but in the end the shadow of Alan Shearer remains.

fans will turn on him

without doubt the most fickle unloyal fans in the world

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

u must be a mackem

Kevin Keegan, hey? You couldn't make it up! The feeling of adrenaline I felt when a colleague broke the news to me surged through my body like a David Ginola through-ball.

And that surprised me. Thoughts of Didier Deschamps and Gerard Houllier were what had got my blood pumping. Continental coaches with bags of European experience. Keegan? Pah, it will never work I thought. The game has moved on since Keegan led us all on a merry waltz up the Premier League over ten years ago.

It took today's announcement to realise I had let my brain rule my heart for too long. Keegan. His name in the same sentence as 'Newcastle' causes goosebumps to break out over my arms. Just say it. Keegan. Magic.

The quality of players he brought to our doorstep were simply magnificent. You didn't need bags of European experience to know that Ginola could cross a ball, that Asprilla had an extraordinary gift, that Peter Beardsley could shimmy like Travolta or that Alan Shearer was a bit handy in front of goal.

Allardyce had bags of experience. So did Souness and Dalglish. It got us nowhere. What they lacked, Keegan had in abundance.

It was inspiration, pure and simple. He could inspire. Players got excited, fans got excited, the media got excited, and the opposition fans got excited. They were exciting times.

Can he excite us again? Who knows? But the thought of going into the unknown is ultimately more exciting than the thought of a team led by the likes of Harry Redknapp and Mark Hughes. These are good managers. But they don't cause the adrenaline to flow.

The sight of Robert Lee scoring a hat-trick of headers against Antwerp away from home, Shearer scoring a hat-trick in 13 minutes against Leicester, Beardsley unleashing a 30-yard thunderbolt into the top corner against Norwich, Manchester United humiliated 5-0 at home, and Andy Cole scoring 41 times in his first season in the Premier League. A better player when he went to Manchester United? Never.

And Ginola's volley against Ferencvaros? Despite what Match of the Day thought, Zola and Beckham never scored better goals than that one in the 1996/97 season.

There will probably be accusations of Keegan being tactically naive floating around on the web right now, but how tactically naive can you be by finishing 2nd in the League? How bad can your defence be when you only concede two more goals than champions Manchester United in 1996?

If having a 'scientific approach' to football is hoofing the ball 50 yards to a big man, I'll take tactical naivety everytime.

It's been a long time since the feelgood factor was at St James' Park. It's been all downhill ever since Craig Bellamy scored that sensational winner against Feyenoord in 2002.

Yet it has taken Keegan just 30 seconds to make me anticipate, rather than dread, the rest of the season.

Welcome Back King Kev. You've been missed.

from bbc web site

fans will turn on him

u must be a mackem

how do you guess :D

:o

I would never of guessed Kopite. :D

:D

He should be shot on site for trying impersone a Liverpudlian

Kn**heads :D

couldnt believe the initial accusation

me a mackem? *shudders*

but in all honesty. keegan will do nothing for newcastle imho. a great player, but never really had any knowledge of the game at the back. great attacking minded manger though.

so expect to see high scoring games

liverpool 4 - newcastle 3

fans will turn on him

u must be a mackem

Kevin Keegan, hey? You couldn't make it up! The feeling of adrenaline I felt when a colleague broke the news to me surged through my body like a David Ginola through-ball.

And that surprised me. Thoughts of Didier Deschamps and Gerard Houllier were what had got my blood pumping. Continental coaches with bags of European experience. Keegan? Pah, it will never work I thought. The game has moved on since Keegan led us all on a merry waltz up the Premier League over ten years ago.

It took today's announcement to realise I had let my brain rule my heart for too long. Keegan. His name in the same sentence as 'Newcastle' causes goosebumps to break out over my arms. Just say it. Keegan. Magic.

The quality of players he brought to our doorstep were simply magnificent. You didn't need bags of European experience to know that Ginola could cross a ball, that Asprilla had an extraordinary gift, that Peter Beardsley could shimmy like Travolta or that Alan Shearer was a bit handy in front of goal.

Allardyce had bags of experience. So did Souness and Dalglish. It got us nowhere. What they lacked, Keegan had in abundance.

It was inspiration, pure and simple. He could inspire. Players got excited, fans got excited, the media got excited, and the opposition fans got excited. They were exciting times.

Can he excite us again? Who knows? But the thought of going into the unknown is ultimately more exciting than the thought of a team led by the likes of Harry Redknapp and Mark Hughes. These are good managers. But they don't cause the adrenaline to flow.

The sight of Robert Lee scoring a hat-trick of headers against Antwerp away from home, Shearer scoring a hat-trick in 13 minutes against Leicester, Beardsley unleashing a 30-yard thunderbolt into the top corner against Norwich, Manchester United humiliated 5-0 at home, and Andy Cole scoring 41 times in his first season in the Premier League. A better player when he went to Manchester United? Never.

And Ginola's volley against Ferencvaros? Despite what Match of the Day thought, Zola and Beckham never scored better goals than that one in the 1996/97 season.

There will probably be accusations of Keegan being tactically naive floating around on the web right now, but how tactically naive can you be by finishing 2nd in the League? How bad can your defence be when you only concede two more goals than champions Manchester United in 1996?

If having a 'scientific approach' to football is hoofing the ball 50 yards to a big man, I'll take tactical naivety everytime.

It's been a long time since the feelgood factor was at St James' Park. It's been all downhill ever since Craig Bellamy scored that sensational winner against Feyenoord in 2002.

Yet it has taken Keegan just 30 seconds to make me anticipate, rather than dread, the rest of the season.

Welcome Back King Kev. You've been missed.

from bbc web site

I dont think Michael Owen agrees with you :o

I get the feeling he will win either the FA or League Cup,

I'll have a Chang on that, if you want a teb :o

He won't win nothing. :D

It's going to end in tears.

They will get a good bounce for a while, but in the long run, Keegan won't tae them forward, and Shearer will continue to haunt the place.

Absolutely. I must admit, the football was very entertaining when he managed city. Loads of goals with his ethos being, score more than we let in.

Is Kev's style of play that much different from Wenger?

Oh yes. Kev was a striker and so believes in all out attack, leaving only the goal keeper in his own half. The result of his strategy is (or was) almost every game was quite high scoring. He believes it's ok as long as his team score more than the opposition. Can be quite entertaining stuff really.

I get the feeling he will win either the FA or League Cup,

I'll have a Chang on that, if you want a teb :o

He won't win nothing. :D

Well on current prices I guess around 20/1 would be fair.

So thats 1 pint of your choice against one bottle of black, which sounds fair to me. :D

I just think that the 'Keegan Factor' has to be taken into consideration with Newcastle.

He has that charisma and definately has a chemistry with the Geordie fans.

I actually have a soft spot for Newcastle. In my younger days when I used to follow City home and away every game, Newcastle fans were amongst the best for 'non' violence and having a sense of humour.

At Maine Rd there was seldom trouble between the fans. I really hope he does well, starting off with a 4-1 win today :D

I think BBC are losing the plot , here's the minute by minute match report from St James Park today..

Live: Newcastle 1-0 Stoke

Live textMatch stats Rate players

BBC Sport online/interactive schedule

This page refreshes automatically every 2 minutes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21:13

Goal kick taken long by Steve Simonsen (Stoke).

20:49

Defending throw-in by Sanchez Jose Enrique (Newcastle).

20:16

Defending throw-in by Danny Pugh (Stoke).

19:56

Defending throw-in by Stephen Carr (Newcastle).

19:20

Michael Owen (Newcastle) caught offside. Indirect free kick taken right-footed by Steve Simonsen (Stoke) from own half, resulting in open play.

17:48

Outswinging corner from left by-line taken left-footed by Belozoglu Emre (Newcastle) to centre, clearance by John Eustace (Stoke).

16:09

Damien Duff (Newcastle) caught offside. Indirect free kick taken right-footed by Steve Simonsen (Stoke) from own half, resulting in open play.

15:27

Goal kick taken long by Shay Given (Newcastle).

15:20

Shot by Ricardo Fuller (Stoke) drilled right-footed from right channel (25 yards), missed right.

14:49

Cross by Stephen Carr (Newcastle), clearance by Liam Lawrence (Stoke).

12:14

Attacking throw-in by Rory Delap (Stoke).

11:51

Foul by Mark Viduka (Newcastle) on Gabriel Zakuani (Stoke). Direct free kick taken right-footed by John Eustace (Stoke) from own half, resulting in open play.

10:56

Direct free kick taken right-footed by Belozoglu Emre (Newcastle) from right wing, resulting in open play.

10:56 Booking Foul by Rory Delap (Stoke) on Charles N'Zogbia (Newcastle). Rory Delap (Stoke) booked for unsporting behaviour.

9:36

Goal kick taken short by Shay Given (Newcastle).

8:39

Foul by Belozoglu Emre (Newcastle) on Ricardo Fuller (Stoke). Free kick taken right-footed by Liam Lawrence (Stoke) curled from right channel (25 yards), over the bar.

7:44 GOAL - Michael Owen

Newcastle 1 - Stoke 0Goal by Michael Owen (Newcastle) left-footed (bottom-right of goal) from left side of penalty area (6 yards).Newcastle 1-0 Stoke. Assist (header) by James Milner (Newcastle) from right side of penalty area.

7:18

Shot by Ryan Shawcross (Stoke) drilled left-footed from left side of penalty area (6 yards), save (caught) by Shay Given (Newcastle).

6:36

Cross by Liam Lawrence (Stoke), blocked by Sanchez Jose Enrique (Newcastle). Outswinging corner from right by-line taken right-footed by Liam Lawrence (Stoke) to near post, clearance by James Milner (Newcastle).

5:58

5:50

Shot by Michael Owen (Newcastle) drilled right-footed from left channel (20 yards), over the bar.

5:17

Attacking throw-in by Sanchez Jose Enrique (Newcastle).

5:05

Attacking throw-in by Damien Duff (Newcastle).

4:31

Shot by Ricardo Fuller (Stoke) drilled left-footed from right side of penalty area (6 yards), save (blocked) by Shay Given (Newcastle).

4:03

Defending throw-in by Stephen Carr (Newcastle).

3:41

Defending throw-in by Sanchez Jose Enrique (Newcastle).

3:14

Defending throw-in by Gabriel Zakuani (Stoke).

2:31

1:49

Foul by Danny Pugh (Stoke) on James Milner (Newcastle). Free kick crossed left-footed by Charles N'Zogbia (Newcastle) from right wing, resulting in ball out of play.

Correction - 1:32

Goal kick taken short by Shay Given (Newcastle).

1:32

Goal kick taken long by Shay Given (Newcastle).

1:20

Shot by Ryan Shawcross (Stoke) left-footed from left side of penalty area (6 yards), missed left.

1:03

Shot by Liam Lawrence (Stoke) drilled right-footed from right side of penalty area (18 yards), save (parried) by Shay Given (Newcastle).

0:41

Foul by Sanchez Jose Enrique (Newcastle) on Liam Lawrence (Stoke). Free kick crossed right-footed by Liam Lawrence (Stoke) from right wing, clearance by Claudio Cacapa (Newcastle).

MATCH STATS: AT A GLANCE

POSSESSION

48% 52%

Newcastle Stoke

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newcastle

01 Given

02 Carr

27 Taylor

06 Cacapa

03 Jose Enrique

16 Milner

05 Emre

14 N'Zogbia

11 Duff

36 Viduka

10 Owen

Substitutes

13 Harper, 04 Rozehnal, 30 Edgar, 38 LuaLua, 39 Carroll

Stoke

01 Simonsen

21 Zakuani

17 Shawcross

05 Cort

24 Delap

07 Lawrence

04 Eustace

14 Pugh

10 Fuller

09 Cresswell

08 Parkin

Substitutes

25 Hoult, 15 Pericard, 18 Diao, 26 Pulis, 31 Dickinson

Ref: Uriah Rennie

Edited by chonabot

Keegan?

Is this the same man that used to be a very good football player, 100 years ago?

The same (I was just told) that normally abandons his teams?

btw, why is he called King Kevin? What has he done for the Kingdom?

Premier League - Bolton spoil Keegan's big day

Eurosport - Sat, 19 Jan 19:47:00 2008

The Kevin Keegan Era Mk II got off to a distinctly inauspicious start as Newcastle were held to a drab goalless draw by Bolton at an expectant St James's Park.

2780699269.jpg

More Stories

Keegan's arrival pitchside before the match prompted huge cheers from the Newcastle fans, but the game itself - perhaps inevitably - got off to a cagey start.

Injuries, suspensions and Africa Cup of Nations withdrawals forced the Newcastle boss to pair centre-half David Rozehnal and left-midfielder Charles N'Zogbia in the centre of midfield, and Gary Megson's compact 4-5-1 formation ensured there was little space in the middle of the pitch.

Bolton started more brightly, and after a series of corners Kevin Nolan drew a fairly straightforward save from Shay Given with a low shot from the edge of the area.

Every sign of attacking intent from the men in black and white provoked roars from the stands, but despite the expectation a rather bitty stand-off developed.

Newcastle looked most dangerous from set pieces, and a left-wing corner provoked optimistic hand-ball appeals when Shola Ameobi's swiped shot was blocked at close range by Andy O'Brien.

As half-time approached the cheers turned to groans, and the interval arrived without either goal-keeper being truly tested.

Newcastle roused their fans with a brief spell of pressure at the beginning of the first half, but a woefully off-target effort from Stephen Carr was the best they had to show for their efforts until N'Zogbia's free-kick went narrowly over the bar just before the hour.

A brilliantly-timed challenge on Ameobi from Ricardo Gardner sparked hopeful penalty appeals from the home fans and Rozehnal sent a header over the bar as Newcastle began to build some momentum.

But for all their possession they couldn't fashion any clear chances, and frustration began to grow as the game entered the final 10 minutes.

And with minutes left, the clearest chance of the game fell to the visitors.

A right-wing corner found its way to the feet of substitute Jlloyd Samuel six yards from goal, but Newcastle 'keeper Shay Given spread himself to make a superb save.

Megson will have been pleased that his stifling tactics worked so effectively, but for Keegan the full scale of his task is gradually becoming apparent

Keegan?

Is this the same man that used to be a very good football player, 100 years ago?

Keegan?

I managed to sit through the first half before boredom and good sense got the better of me and went to bed.Most people are expecting Keegan to revert to his barnstorming days but that was then and this is now.He's a lot older and should be wiser.How his 3 year sabatical from the game will effect his judgement remains to be seen.Whatever he does,I can't see him getting the sack until,at least,to the end of next season for three reasons;

1)He is Ashley's appointment.

2)Ashley is a self made multi millionaire,has a big ego so he must have a high opinion of his decision making.

3)Consequently,he'll NEVER admit he's wrong even if it costs him.

2)Ashley is a self made multi millionaire,has a big ego so he must have a high opinion of his decision making.

3)Consequently,he'll NEVER admit he's wrong even if it costs him.

Bet yer thats not how he became a billionaire :o

Cheers

Keegan won't even win the conference, which is where they'll be if he stays for 5 years!

It's a strange situation with Keegan.Unprecedented,in my view in as much as he,by his own admission,hasn't watched a Premiership football match in three years yet becomes manager of a top flight team at the drop of a hat.So who is advising him on team selection?If it's McDermott and Pearson-the same front bench team as Allardyce had-then he's in big trouble.It could be that THEY were the problem all along and not Big Sam.