A Job Offer In Canada... Seems Dodgy... Need Help Please

First of all, I would like to apologize if I posted here. I think this is the best place since my issue is about Canada and not Thailand. Mods can move it anytime if it's in the wrong category.

So here it is:

I was offered a job in Canada as a Customer Service Support at a Nursing Home. I submitted my resume and they replied back with an application form and a visa form. I filled out both forms and emailed it back to them. When they received the visa form, they told me to wait for 2-3 days because they have to submit the forms to the Canadian Immigration. Once approved the immigration will inform me and will email or phone me about the requirements and what I need to do. I received the email after 5 days but not from the immigration but from the company itself. They told me to contact an immigration officer who will handle my case. The email address they gave me is under a doramail. So it's like [email protected]. It's not the actual email but to be secure I just set an example. At this point, I felt like there is something wrong with that email. I ignore my intuition and contacted the email. He/She replied. He told me what documents I needed to show at the embassy here. The thing is the email was also in a dodgy style. It's like done by a unprofessional person or something. I don't think any immigration officer who is a professional, will create an email letter such as the one they have sent me. My friend suggested to contact the canadian embassy here. To which I did via email.

I have decided to play along and see what will happen while I wait for the embassy's reply. If I don't hear from the embassy this week. I will mostly likely go there next week. But today, I have recieved an email from the nursing home that they have already booked a ticket for me as this is a requirement at the embassy in order to get a visa. It's a connecting flight, from bkk to beijing then beijing to canada. I doubled check it via the internet and it's there but when you check it via respective airlines, the booking is not there. I don't understand. Should it be like that?

The nursing home didn't asked for money and when I asked them if I need to pay for something or if they are going to charge me, they said no. That they will handle the ticket and the other expenses. All I have to worry about is the visa fee here which I think is okay.

My worries is if this is fake and if they are not after the money, maybe they are after something else. A friend told me a story about a girl who was recruited here by a farang and she didn't pay for anything. But when she arrived at their destination she was sold to be a sex slave. :S. Really scary. I would rather stay here or in my country and be poor than to encounter those kind of things.

Most of my friends keep on telling me that because of the email structure it's most probably fake. I don't know I feel confuse and scared at the same time. Can anybody help me with this? Enlighten me please on what I should do. An advise and help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

First of all, I would like to apologize if I posted here. I think this is the best place since my issue is about Canada and not Thailand. Mods can move it anytime if it's in the wrong category.

So here it is:

I was offered a job in Canada as a Customer Service Support at a Nursing Home. I submitted my resume and they replied back with an application form and a visa form. I filled out both forms and emailed it back to them. When they received the visa form, they told me to wait for 2-3 days because they have to submit the forms to the Canadian Immigration. Once approved the immigration will inform me and will email or phone me about the requirements and what I need to do. I received the email after 5 days but not from the immigration but from the company itself. They told me to contact an immigration officer who will handle my case. The email address they gave me is under a doramail. So it's like [email protected]. It's not the actual email but to be secure I just set an example. At this point, I felt like there is something wrong with that email. I ignore my intuition and contacted the email. He/She replied. He told me what documents I needed to show at the embassy here. The thing is the email was also in a dodgy style. It's like done by a unprofessional person or something. I don't think any immigration officer who is a professional, will create an email letter such as the one they have sent me. My friend suggested to contact the canadian embassy here. To which I did via email.

I have decided to play along and see what will happen while I wait for the embassy's reply. If I don't hear from the embassy this week. I will mostly likely go there next week. But today, I have recieved an email from the nursing home that they have already booked a ticket for me as this is a requirement at the embassy in order to get a visa. It's a connecting flight, from bkk to beijing then beijing to canada. I doubled check it via the internet and it's there but when you check it via respective airlines, the booking is not there. I don't understand. Should it be like that?

The nursing home didn't asked for money and when I asked them if I need to pay for something or if they are going to charge me, they said no. That they will handle the ticket and the other expenses. All I have to worry about is the visa fee here which I think is okay.

My worries is if this is fake and if they are not after the money, maybe they are after something else. A friend told me a story about a girl who was recruited here by a farang and she didn't pay for anything. But when she arrived at their destination she was sold to be a sex slave. :S. Really scary. I would rather stay here or in my country and be poor than to encounter those kind of things.

Most of my friends keep on telling me that because of the email structure it's most probably fake. I don't know I feel confuse and scared at the same time. Can anybody help me with this? Enlighten me please on what I should do. An advise and help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

This nursing home, does it have a website or something? Also if it has nurses, they probably have a Union in Canada, or some other organisation there that can check things out for you. Canada may probably have some rules on who can run a nursing home too, it probably have to be on some kind of aproved by an official authority, maybe they can be contacted to fine out if they are truely bona fide.

I had a similar thing recently, but it was a pedigree English bulldog I was after, they were practically giving it away ( apparently all the way from America ).

All I had to do was contact this import/export chief at the given email address, and give him all my details, ie. address, bank details etc... for shipping purposes.

Sounds like a wrongun.........I wouldn't have anything to do with it if I were you. Am sure the embassy will clarify that for you.

Choppy

Phone the Embassy. You might be waiting forever for the email response.

Make sure you get some real contact info for the place they want to send you, and then check out the organization in Canada by internet.

BTW the Canadian job market is quite hot so I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be real.

Very hard to find workers in some areas.

How did you get the info about this job in the first place. Did you look it up or did you get an email?

I think I got it from the internet. In one of the known classified ads on the net. I did check the organization on the internet just that I can't find them. I don't know why. I also checked them out via BBB online still nothing. Here is there website http://wns.ltd.tripod.com/index.html.

They have sent me loads of emails but I will show you the one from the so called immigration officer:

--/ BEGIN EMAIL---/

IMMIGRATION SERVICE INFORMATION- 1 STEP OF 5

Add contact Add contact

Sent:

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:03:13 PM

To:************

Citizenship and Immigration Canada - Government of Canada

YOU ARE DEMANDED TO PROCURE THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENT ,BEFORE YOUR VISA APPLICATION APPROVAL CAN BE SEND TO THE CANADA EMBASSY IN YOUR COUNTRY FOR VISA STAMPING.

[A ] APPOINTMENT LETTER FROM YOUR CANDIAN COMPANY,

COPY OF YOUR AIR-TICKET BOOKING CONFIRMATION.

[C] THE FRONT PAGE OF YOUR PASSPORT WITH YOUR RECENTLY TAKEN

[D] HEALTH INSURANCE CERTIFICATE.

NOTICE TO ALL HOTEL APPLICANT.

WE ONLY ACCEPT AN INSURANCE CERTIFICATE ISSUSE BY A CANADA INSURANCE COMPANY.

Passport booklet

THIS IS A HOW YOU CAN SCAN IT, EXAMPLE----Identification page of the passport booklet

PASSPORT,PHOTOGRAPH,

NOTE

ALL THE REQUESTED DOCUMENTS, SHOULD BE SCANNED AND SEND BACK TO US FOR PROCESSING.

IMMIGRATION BUREAU WILL HAVE TO ASSESSED THE DOCUMENTS , IF APPROVE WE WILL SEND YOU A WORKING PERMIT FORM TO YOU TO FILL.

YOUR AFORMENTIONED ,PASSPORT INFORMATION,LETTER OF INVITATION FROM HOTEL,WILL BE POSTED TO THE VERIFICATION OFFICE TO BE VERIFY BY THE ZONAL COODINATOR ,

THE DIPLOMAT WILL FAX ALL YOUR DOCUMENT TO OUR CANADIAN EMBASSY IN YOUR COUNTRY FOR APPROVE OF YOUR VISA

BEST REGARDS

----/END EMAIL----/

I have asked the nursing home about the requirements and they said they will give it all to me and that I should not worry about the cost.

Make sure you get some real contact info for the place they want to send you, and then check out the organization in Canada by internet.

BTW the Canadian job market is quite hot so I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be real.

How did you get the info about this job in the first place. Did you look it up or did you get an email?

You think? what will they do with my passport? they've booked me to a flight already.

:o this is really frustrating.

That e-mail is a huge red flag. A complete butchering of the English language.

Looks like the Nigerians want your passport info to me.

Run, don't walk away.

So here it is:

Thank you in advance.

Sounds like the job is in a nigerian nursing home ! :o get the phone nunber for the nursing home off directory enquirys and the same for the immigration, ask for the person by name, seems easy enough,.

Sounds like the job is in a nigerian nursing home ! :o get the phone nunber for the nursing home off directory enquirys and the same for the immigration, ask for the person by name, seems easy enough,.

yup i got it all here. (888) 353-5557 x1, (888) 417-4441. this was search by my friend.

Get the exact Canadian name of the nursing home, the exact street address including postal code, and a local phone number including the area code. The 888 area code is an "800" number where one can dial in toll free--it can be set up anywhere in North America. From that information you can do a complete check of the company through the Canadian Embassy in Thailand. If you have the person's full name who offered you the position, you can then have the embassy double check it for you.

Yes thank you.

Get the exact Canadian name of the nursing home, the exact street address including postal code, and a local phone number including the area code. The 888 area code is an "800" number where one can dial in toll free--it can be set up anywhere in North America. From that information you can do a complete check of the company through the Canadian Embassy in Thailand. If you have the person's full name who offered you the position, you can then have the embassy double check it for you.

I am sure now that the email I mentioned in this thread is really a scam. How?

I was reviewing my emails from them and one of the emails includes CCUC Inc. at the "TO" field. I guess they have forwarded that email to that company. I made a researched on the net to get an info about CCUC Inc. Guess what, it was known to be a notorious scammer. They will not asked money for your ticket, processing fee and the works but what will they asked you is for you to pay for the health insurance from a western canadian company. <deleted>. When I saw this I was really angry, disappointed at the same time. But I felt lucky too as I haven't given them any money and I had found out early about their modus operandi.

Where do you think I can report them? Canadian Embassy? I think I will spread the word about them so that people will be careful when they encounter the same.

Absolute scam or or some type of criminal activity...Indeed yes Canada is always looking for immigrants that have specific skills and having worked in nursing homes in Canada and in health care for some time this is a category that is very short staffed!

Any email or contact with the Canadian Government will more then likely be an @cic.gc.ca or something along those lines. Be careful!

As others are pointing out, it is written very badly and looks completey FAKE - so just forget about it and don't look back. Do not continue contact with them. I recently attended a presentation about Human Trafficking. MTV has even started a program to educate about it, they were also at the presentation - it is called MTV EXIT - anyhow, on part of their site you can find out more about this situation - http://www.mtvexit.org/eng/workabroad.html this is what it says:

"Protect Yourself, work abraod:

Here are some tips if you are planning to work abroad:

# Make sure you check that the job is legitimate from independent sources before you agree to work. If you can’t, or you have to rely on one person, don’t go. You could be putting yourself at risk

# If you use an employment agency, again, check that it is real. Any legitimate agency will understand your concern and should have no problem proving it to you

# Don’t sign any job contract unless you’ve had it checked out by a professional, or someone you trust such as a parent or friend

# Make sure you get the correct visas for working. If someone is offering to get them for you, or says you don’t need them, be wary and find out why

# Contact an anti-trafficking organization before you go if you have any doubts (see link for more details).

If you or someone you know are looking to travel, work, or study abroad or even in your own country make sure that the opportunity is real. Contact an anti-trafficking organization and seek advice. Keep control of your future.

Check out some of the specific information here of how to stay safe.

If you’ve been offered the chance to travel/work/study abroad by a stranger, friend or relative, ask yourself the following:

# Where are you going and why?

# Who is paying for your journey? – If someone is offering to pay for you,find out why.

# Is the offer to good to be true? If it sounds too good, it probably is!

# Talk about it with friends, family and people who you trust. If they have doubts, find out why - maybe they are right.""

ON THIS PAGE IT LISTS GROUPS THAT YOU CAN CONTACT HERE IN THAILAND TO HELP CONFIRM THAT THIS IS FAKE:

http://www.mtvexit.org/eng/anti.html

AS they list it:

"THAILAND

Foundation for Women (FFW)

provides information, support, referral, and emergency financial assistance to

women who have been victims of exploitation, violence and trafficking

Tel: +66 2 433 5149

Fax: +66 2 434 6774

Email: [email protected]

Social Development and Human Security Ministry

Government agency which provides welfare services to trafficking victims

Tel: +66 2 612 8888

Fax: +66 2 612 8950

Email: [email protected]"

You sound frantic.. Relax. If the offer is legitimate, they will wait. if not, nothing lost.

With respect to the plane ticket tell them you can't leave before ......(pick your preferred date)

If you have qualifications to work in a Nursing Home, don't worry, you'll get a good job.

So, do your inquiries and get the facts......

So here it is:

Thank you in advance.

So here it is:

Thank you in advance.

google doramail.com doesn't look good

doesnt look good to me when they cant even spell canadian properly !!!!!!

send me more details Ill forward it here to the RCMP they dont like scammers that use our good name !!!!!!!!

I think I got it from the internet. In one of the known classified ads on the net. I did check the organization on the internet just that I can't find them. I don't know why. I also checked them out via BBB online still nothing. Here is there website http://wns.ltd.tripod.com/index.html.

They have sent me loads of emails but I will show you the one from the so called immigration officer:

--/ BEGIN EMAIL---/

Add contact Add contact

Sent:

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:03:13 PM

YOU ARE DEMANDED TO PROCURE THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENT ,BEFORE YOUR VISA APPLICATION APPROVAL CAN BE SEND TO THE CANADA EMBASSY IN YOUR COUNTRY FOR VISA STAMPING.

[A ] APPOINTMENT LETTER FROM YOUR CANDIAN COMPANY,

COPY OF YOUR AIR-TICKET BOOKING CONFIRMATION.

Passport booklet

THIS IS A HOW YOU CAN SCAN IT, EXAMPLE----Identification page of the passport booklet

PASSPORT,PHOTOGRAPH,

NOTE

ALL THE REQUESTED DOCUMENTS, SHOULD BE SCANNED AND SEND BACK TO US FOR PROCESSING.

IMMIGRATION BUREAU WILL HAVE TO ASSESSED THE DOCUMENTS , IF APPROVE WE WILL SEND YOU A WORKING PERMIT FORM TO YOU TO FILL.

YOUR AFORMENTIONED ,PASSPORT INFORMATION,LETTER OF INVITATION FROM HOTEL,WILL BE POSTED TO THE VERIFICATION OFFICE TO BE VERIFY BY THE ZONAL COODINATOR ,

THE DIPLOMAT WILL FAX ALL YOUR DOCUMENT TO OUR CANADIAN EMBASSY IN YOUR COUNTRY FOR APPROVE OF YOUR VISA

BEST REGARDS

----/END EMAIL----/

I have asked the nursing home about the requirements and they said they will give it all to me and that I should not worry about the cost.

Hi and sorry someone has put you through this and used Canada as a target.

Any website or email address connected with the Government of Canada ends in the suffix ".gov.ca ".

Canadian Immigration does not work like that.

The way it works is far far more complicated and the country is not looking for nursing home assistants

so the job category does not warrant admission.

Much like someone who would want to move to Thailand and get a landed immigrant status as a waiter, it just would not happen. We need doctors and certified trades here and even then their credentials are not recognised by the Government of Canada ntil they significantly upgrade their education.

In Canada we have many Filipino nationals working in the health care industry in that capacity and they are required to jump through hoops and have Canadian sponsors here just to be able to apply.

My cousin knows much more about this than as he married a Thai and it has been years and lots and lots of legal fees to

get his marriage and living status to the point where his wife can get through the citizen process.

The point being, if a Thai national moved into Canada why would they want to leave if they came here in the first place.

Please, please, please don't dream this dream, it is not going to happen, I promise this is not the way it is done.

And on top of that any communication from the Canadian government would not ever be done through a third party,

and the short form "IMM" is not ever used let alone on any legal documentation, there is a standard to dictates that no acronyms or short forms are used in any way on a formal letter and there is NO Canadian Government letterhead that even looks like that.

You are being taken advantage of and I for one will forward this to the RCMP if you like.

Edited by Canadianvisitor

--/ BEGIN EMAIL---/

From: Canadian Imm Office home (*********@doramail.com) No such thing as Canadian Immigration Office

Add contact Add contact

Sent:

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:03:13 PM NOBODY in the Canadian Government works after 4:30 pm let alone sending emails after 5:00 pm

[A ] APPOINTMENT LETTER FROM YOUR CANDIAN COMPANY, Canadian is spelled wrong

B] COPY OF YOUR AIR-TICKET BOOKING CONFIRMATION. There is no space after the B.

Recently taken what and what is the timeline for "recently"?

The word issued is spelled wrong and whole idea of this is ludicrous

Passport booklet

There is no need for them to have ANY details of your passport, that is private confidential information and not required except when leaving or entering a country

PASSPORT,PHOTOGRAPH,

NOTE

The is no colon : after Note:

There is no such thing as an Immigration Bureau in Canada or a working permit

No such thing as a ZONAL Coordinator not now or ever, no diplomat would ever fax personal information to a foreign country, and the word would be approval

BEST REGARDS

Best regards???????? Who???? a name , a title, anything???????, this is NOT real, period. If you are still not convinced I will get in touch with... hang on a second

----/END EMAIL----/

Further, from the Canadian Government website...............................

To apply for a work permit from outside Canada, you must submit the following documents:

* a job offer from a Canadian employer

* a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and

* written confirmation from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion.

o In most cases, it is up to your employer to get that written confirmation. Information on the labour market opinion is found under Information for Canadian employers on the right-hand side of this page.

o In some cases, you do not need a labour market opinion. (See Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion.)

You must also do the following:

* Satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.

* Show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.

* Respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate. See Have a medical exam or criminal check done in the Quick Find section on the right-hand side of this page.)

* Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.

* Be in good health. (You may have to have a medical examination.)

Some temporary foreign workers can have Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) start processing their work permit applications before a Canadian visa office has an approved labour market opinion. To find out more, see Concurrent processing:

www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#outside

Edited by Canadianvisitor

Thank you very much for the support guys. I really appreciate it. Yes canadianvisitor, I want to report them so that they will be stopped. Scammers like them should be imprisoned. They are taking advantage of those who want to take a chance to have something better in life. How do you want me to send the infos to you?

--/ BEGIN EMAIL---/

From: Canadian Imm Office home (*********@doramail.com) No such thing as Canadian Immigration Office

Add contact Add contact

Sent:

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:03:13 PM NOBODY in the Canadian Government works after 4:30 pm let alone sending emails after 5:00 pm

[A ] APPOINTMENT LETTER FROM YOUR CANDIAN COMPANY, Canadian is spelled wrong

B] COPY OF YOUR AIR-TICKET BOOKING CONFIRMATION. There is no space after the B.

Recently taken what and what is the timeline for "recently"?

The word issued is spelled wrong and whole idea of this is ludicrous

Passport booklet

There is no need for them to have ANY details of your passport, that is private confidential information and not required except when leaving or entering a country

PASSPORT,PHOTOGRAPH,

NOTE

The is no colon : after Note:

There is no such thing as an Immigration Bureau in Canada or a working permit

No such thing as a ZONAL Coordinator not now or ever, no diplomat would ever fax personal information to a foreign country, and the word would be approval

BEST REGARDS

Best regards???????? Who???? a name , a title, anything???????, this is NOT real, period. If you are still not convinced I will get in touch with... hang on a second

----/END EMAIL----/

Further, from the Canadian Government website...............................

To apply for a work permit from outside Canada, you must submit the following documents:

* a job offer from a Canadian employer

* a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and

* written confirmation from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion.

o In most cases, it is up to your employer to get that written confirmation. Information on the labour market opinion is found under Information for Canadian employers on the right-hand side of this page.

o In some cases, you do not need a labour market opinion. (See Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion.)

You must also do the following:

* Satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.

* Show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.

* Respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate. See Have a medical exam or criminal check done in the Quick Find section on the right-hand side of this page.)

* Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.

* Be in good health. (You may have to have a medical examination.)

Some temporary foreign workers can have Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) start processing their work permit applications before a Canadian visa office has an approved labour market opinion. To find out more, see Concurrent processing:

www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#outside