Using A Wheelchair In/around Bk

ArtfulD

Ive made a post of similar nature in the Phuket forum but I would appreciate any responses from people who spend most of their time in BK. Suffering chronic arthritis I use a wheelchair but am hoping to visit Thailand some time next year for a few weeks and as a precursor to getting there Id be interested in how people would percive it being a total nightmare or doable..Obviously riding on the back of a moped or some crowded bus etc is out of the question but im curious to know how accomodating a taxi would be (worst case scenerio Ive seen some reasonably priced BK limo companies that could be used).

Its not going to be a go out at night getting wasted holiday, biggest reason is visiting southern Phuket looking for a property near the beach (large citys are not really my thing), but i'd obviously like to at least see some of BK, and indeed will be flying there before flying to Phuket. Im not expecting miracles but then again im used to citys in the UK and their no party either! I understand probably none of you will have any experience of such matters/not really on your mind as you go about town, but any general info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I know its not quite the same but I have an experience of accessibility problems in Bangkok from the week I spent there pushing my baby son around in a pushchair a couple of years ago.

Hope this isn't too depressing but I think the main problem you will encounter is moving around independently and SAFELY once your taxi has dropped you off at or near your destination. Pavements are frequently potholed (flags missing) in Bangkok and there are many changes in level. Dropped kerbs are a rarity at road junctions and one thing I have learned over the years is that there is general indifference (and ignorance) in Thailand towards people with disabilities of all descriptions. I wouldn't count on many taxi drivers accommodating you in their Toyota Corollas. That does not mean to say that they won't be incredibly helpful at your hotel/resort accommodation (because they will be) but on crowded streets (e.g. Sukhumvit Road/Silom etc.) you may find things a bit difficult. Obviously, the crowded streets are the ones with anything worth seeing or doing! As you may know, pavements are frequently occupied by street stalls and it is sometimes difficult to avoid moving into the busy roads to get around them. Street clutter like posts, cables and signs etc. are also placed seemingly at random on the pavements. The skytrain is a great transport boon to the city when travelling East-West but from memory I think there are only a couple of stations where they have lifts up to the platforms. There is a new underground system (which I have not used yet) so that may be more accessible but from what I gather the routes are not as useful for getting around the city as the skytrain. I suppose it depends on where you will stay and what you want to see.

Forewarned is forearmed! Sorry I couldn't be more positive!

I know its not quite the same but I have an experience of accessibility problems in Bangkok from the week I spent there pushing my baby son around in a pushchair a couple of years ago.

Hope this isn't too depressing but I think the main problem you will encounter is moving around independently and SAFELY once your taxi has dropped you off at or near your destination. Pavements are frequently potholed (flags missing) in Bangkok and there are many changes in level. Dropped kerbs are a rarity at road junctions and one thing I have learned over the years is that there is general indifference (and ignorance) in Thailand towards people with disabilities of all descriptions. I wouldn't count on many taxi drivers accommodating you in their Toyota Corollas. That does not mean to say that they won't be incredibly helpful at your hotel/resort accommodation (because they will be) but on crowded streets (e.g. Sukhumvit Road/Silom etc.) you may find things a bit difficult. Obviously, the crowded streets are the ones with anything worth seeing or doing! As you may know, pavements are frequently occupied by street stalls and it is sometimes difficult to avoid moving into the busy roads to get around them. Street clutter like posts, cables and signs etc. are also placed seemingly at random on the pavements. The skytrain is a great transport boon to the city when travelling East-West but from memory I think there are only a couple of stations where they have lifts up to the platforms. There is a new underground system (which I have not used yet) so that may be more accessible but from what I gather the routes are not as useful for getting around the city as the skytrain. I suppose it depends on where you will stay and what you want to see.

Forewarned is forearmed! Sorry I couldn't be more positive!

Hiring a guide / assistant might be the answer, and an inexpensive way to go for you. Solo would be too hard for the reasons explained by Jaime.

Agree with Pat that you will have to have someone to help you full time unless you have the training of Lance Armstrong. This need not be very expensive (probably less than your daily hotel bill). As Bangkok is a city that was often flooded few buildings will have access without stairs. Some hotels and public buildings now have ramps but they are likely to be very steep or unusable for other reasons. Sidewalks are a full time job for those that can walk to avoid obstructions. On your own I believe most of the fun would be lost.

Thanks for the replys, indeed I will have assistance as my family are going with me so I will have a couple of people to help at all times. Using a pushchair does indeed run into many of the same problems, were not really looking to wander the streets (at least not to any large degree) as in the UK I find the streets pretty bad too. My main concern is transport from say hotel-airport or some major centre etc. I appreciate its not going to be smooth sailing however. For the cost tho we may indeed go the route of full time car/driver to make things easier.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replys, indeed I will have assistance as my family are going with me so I will have a couple of people to help at all times.

I had an acquaintance who was wheel-chair bound and lived here in Bangkok for more than a year so it is not impossible. He managed to get around and sometimes required some assistance as he was usually solo. Most dept stores, hotels and some mass transit have lifts but the sidewalks will be the biggest problem. With your travel assistants, you should be able to manage.

One thought (if you have a large w.chair) is to get "station wagon cab" which will give you a lot more storage than the normal cab trunk. Most of the cabs are smaller Toyotas, Nissans or Mitsubishis. When you get a station wagon you like, ask him for his cell phone number (most have one) and use him exclusively for your cab needs for a set rate of 1000 baht a day or so (that amount should make him very happy). It will be difficult to find a station wagon cab on the streets normally.

You could also call one of the larger companies direct and ask for a station wagon cab when you need one. They will usually arrive within 20-30 minutes anywhere in Bangkok and you pay an extra 20 baht for this service. Company telephone numbers are usually painted on the back of the cab windows.

Good luck.

The only 'station wagon' type cab that I am aware of is the Nissen NV which is a very small and uncomfortable transport vehicle. I try to avoid them as they are very cramped in rear seat and almost never have air conditioner that can cope. Do not believe they should be your first choice. The new model Toyota sedan which many taxi now run has good seat access and if not converted to LPG should have room in trunk for chair.

I would pay attention to your hotel as many have given no consideration to access. Be sure you can access eating/public areas as well as the building itself.

I would search Google as am sure some have come before you and written about what is good and what is bad. Sorry can't be of more help.

I have seen a few guys around NANA in wheelchairs, I would say a Western owned hotel would be alot more wheelchair friendly,

The skytrain has elevators for wheelchairs , but you need a code number/key or something to access them, but they are there.

The sidewalks suck in most parts of BKK , even for walking , but they are passable with a helper.

Your biggest problem getting around on the streets will be the sidewalk to street curb, the curbs are tall !

Good Luck and bring drinking water !

I live in Thailand, and I also travel in a wheelchair (paralyzed from stroke 3 years ago).

First, don't sweat anything. Though the footpaths are not very good usually, mobility and accessibility will never be a serious problem. Everyone will bend over backwards to help- it's important to give clear instructions, though.

Most decent hotels have entrance ramps (though often quite steep!), some even have rooms for wheelchairs, too. I've even seen a number of public toilets (at PTT stations) with handicapped access.

I'd suggest renting a van rather than a car because vans are usually easier to load you, and easier to stash a wheelchair- not many cars here have the boot space. Get a driver, of course. The driver will also do whatever duty you need, and with no complaining, I assure you. Just be sure to show your appreciation in some tangible way....

Oh, if you are planning to stay in Bkk, Bumrumgard Hospital has an 'International Residence' section right off Sukumwit soi 1. Their 2-room suites are 1500 baht (w/Kitchen, UBC, VCR) , and setup for wheelchairs- even in the shower. Staff very helpfull and clued-in, too. Though normally only available to hospital patients and their families, you can also stay there if you are not a patient, but use a wheelchair. And there's a dynamite Au Bon Paine(sp?) on premise...Roast Beef Sandwich highly recommended :o

Really, lots of people in chairs travel around Thailand. In my experience, everyone has been extremely patient and happy to help in any way. Truly great people here, in this regard.