Govt Plans Culture Booklet For Foreigners

george

Govt plans culture booklet for foreigners

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Culture plans to launch a "Do and Don't" booklet for foreigners to learn about Thai culture before coming to the country.

After recent cases such as the poster of the movie "Hollywood Buddha" showing director Philippe Caland sitting atop of a Buddha statue's head and the Buddha labels on wine bottles of a Chinese company, the ministry has come up with the project to educate foreigners.

Kla Somtrakool, deputy permanent secretary at the ministry, said the booklet would tell foreigners what they can and cannot do in Thai society. He said that the booklets would be distributed to hotels, travel agencies, airline booths, consulates and the Immigration Bureau.

"If some foreigners still behave with malicious intentions, Thai Buddhists should denounce these people or not allow them to enter the country. For instance, foreigners should learn that the head is the most sacred part of the body and younger people are not allowed to touch older people's heads," Kla said.

He said that after the project receives approval from the minister and permanent secretary, the ministry would set up a committee to study the booklet's contents, particularly regarding the topics of offending the religion, insulting Thai women and smuggling of ancient objects.

Kla added that if foreigners really do not know about Thai culture, they could be forgiven. However, someone who understands the culture but still behaves improperly - perhaps for a business advantage - should not be allowed to enter the country. He said that he would ask the Foreign Affairs Ministry to consider not giving visas to foreigners who have condemned the country or burned the Thai national flag. He has already consulted with the Department of Information, which is responsible for the country's public relations.

Chong Wongkhan, vice president of the Senate committee on education, religion, arts and culture, said the committee and the Ministry of Culture had discussed the project and believed that the booklet could prevent foreigners from disparaging Buddhism.

Chong added that the committee had discussed the proposed booklet with the Foreign Affairs Ministry, who agreed to blacklist foreigners from entering the country as a punishment for previous indiscretions.

--The Nation 2004-09-12

This sounds a little over the top. I agree its a good idea in principle, out of respect to people and religion however, I would doubt unless it was a mandatory publication for entry into the country that the average visitor would not read it. You never know though, I somehow get the impression, that increasingly the tourists are being blamed for a variety of things, almost a paranoia, almost out of convenience.

One would have to ponder, what's next.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, utopian ideals versus capitalism and all the excesses.

Great news! :o

In the seventies, Japan issued a booklet, teaching their own people how to behave while travelling abroad.

Korea had a mandatory lesson for girls who wanted to marry foreigners.

Now Thailand again is a step ahead, not teach how to behave abroad, teach foreigners how to respect and perhaps adopt Thai ways.

Let's make another hub, Thailand the hub for proper behaviour.

"Kla added that if foreigners really do not know about Thai culture, they could be forgiven. However, someone who understands the culture but still behaves improperly - perhaps for a business advantage - should not be allowed to enter the country. He said that he would ask the Foreign Affairs Ministry to consider not giving visas to foreigners who have condemned the country or burned the Thai national flag. He has already consulted with the Department of Information, which is responsible for the country's public relations. "

sounds dangerous and open to abuse

Thai government to ban "culturally insensitive" foreigners: report

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government will ban foreigners from the kingdom who break serious cultural rules as laid out in an official etiquette book it plans to produce.

The ban and booklet were a result of a row caused by recent controversies such as the movie "Hollywood Buddha" which depicted the film's director sitting on top of a Buddha head, according to the Nation newspaper Sunday.

The movie poster caused a furor in Thailand last week, where the population of about 62 million is overwhelmingly Buddhist and where showing disrespect to a Buddha image is taken seriously.

Thailand's foreign affairs ministry agreed to blacklist foreigners from entering the country as a punishment for previous indiscretions after attending a meeting on the booklet being prepared by the ministry of culture, reported the Nation.

"If some foreigners still behave with malicious intentions, Thai Buddhists should denounce these people or not allow them to enter the country," Ministry of Culture Deputy Permanent Secretary Kla Somtrakool was quoted as saying by the daily.

Kla said the booklet would be distributed to hotels, travel agencies, airline booths, consulates and immigration offices and added that foreigners who made mistakes unknowingly should be forgiven.

The director of "Hollywood Buddha," Philippe Caland apologised to Thailand Friday, saying his error was unintentional. He also agreed to cancel and remove the promotional material at the centre of the controversy.

In April, Thailand successfully demanded lingerie maker Victoria's Secret remove a swimsuit from its collection as it bore images of the Buddha.

-- AFP 2004-09-12

"If some foreigners still behave with malicious intentions, Thai Buddhists should denounce these people or not allow them to enter the country,"

I've hear something similar before but believe the current quote to be a paraphrase of ........

"If non-Aryans behave with malicious intentions, Nationalists should denounce these people and remove them from the country"

I believe it was a former junior ranking uniform wearer turned national leader who made the original statement?

One strange thing I observed about Thai culture when I visited the Grand Palace with a female friend last Sunday.

At the gate she was asked to borrow a pair of trousers becuae her trousers did not reach the angkles although it was beyond her knees.

Why the double standards when long skirts that the goverment servants wear did not reach the knees and were more exposed than a person with 3/4 pants.

Do the Thais have a fetish for women in 3/4 pants?

One strange thing I observed about Thai culture when I visited the Grand Palace with a female friend last Sunday.

At the gate she was asked to borrow a pair of trousers becuae her trousers did not reach the angkles although it was beyond her knees.

Why the double standards when long skirts that the goverment servants wear did not reach the knees and were more exposed than a person with 3/4 pants.

Do the Thais have a fetish for women in 3/4 pants?

I was with a Thai friend visiting Wat Po last year, when I saw a young Thai couple, and I noticed that the woman was wearing a short ( above the knee ) skirt. I asked my Thai friend how she was allowed in the temple like that, and he said, " because she is Thai " :o

I then asked if that woman would have been allowed to enter the nearby Emerald Buddha Wat dressed like that, and he said no, that Wat is more famous and important, so even that Thai woman would have to cover her legs....But now I wonder.... :D

"...Buddha labels on wine bottles of a Chinese company, the ministry has come up with the project to educate foreigners..."

Hurrah, isn't it time that Thailand the great ever-independent country teaches the world a lesson!?

1. The Chinese we teach and tell how to properly practise Buddhism the Thai way, and what to do or not to do with Buddhist images. (Even though they introduced Buddhism much earlier to their country.)

2. The western barbarians we teach how to behave and where to travel.

3. The Indians to eat proper, as opposed to smelly food...

(Where does this end??) :o

I think you're all being overly cynical. I have no doubt that this helpful and constructive booklet will solve all our problems. I hope it includes lots of pictures for the benefit of those barbarians that can't read. Maybe they can tape a big bar of soap to it, or just hose us down with chemicals at the airport :o

My Dad was with the US Air Force During the Vietnam War and he has a book that describes the Do's and Don'ts in Thai Culture He still has it. He showed it to my Father-in-Law Said some things are not look down upon anymore. He said it's ok for a thai woman to walk with Bf or Husband Hand in Hand now

My Dad was with the US Air Force During the Vietnam War and he has a book that describes the Do's and Don'ts in Thai Culture He still has it. He showed it to my Father-in-Law Said some things are not look down upon anymore. He said it's ok for a thai woman to walk with Bf or Husband Hand in Hand now

The higher and lower classes, as everywhere in the world, have different views on 'etiquette' or 'manners'.

The 'lower classes' have less inhibitions to incorporate behaviour which doesn't reflect 'well-mannered-ness'.

Some low class English speaker will tell you that it is perfectly ok to use F-words.

But it isn't!

Thai hippy teen-agers can do, but as a foreigner together with a younger Thai lady it is better you don't. The situation is sensitive enough.

Typical Thai way - tell everyone else how to respect the Thai way but never listen to anyone else's advice on how to do anything, and yet copy intellectual property copyrighted material.

Maybe Thaksin can tell us in that booklet how he ripped off that satelite and communciation equip???

Personally nemesis I think your Avatar says it all and then some... placed in front of the Immigration perhaps?

Also the book should have a chapter on losing your passport and noting you will be put in jail if you don't talk to your embassy first, rather than the police, and that if you are killed, please ask your next of kin not to inform foreign media, who thoughtlressly want to tell people planning to visit that this is an excellent place to come to be killed.

If you are a person of African extraction, there are many better places to come than Thailand even if you aren't a scoundrel. Thailand does not need/want your money or your company.

Also don't play tonsil hockey with police officers who are drinking, and a better one, don't drink with police officers nor with immigration informants, who drink with police officers.

Nemis is warned ( again ) about anti Thai sentiment.

Very good Dr.

I wonder why this guy Nemisis don't just go home. :o

Possibly he feels the way I did during the last of my 3 years teaching in a government university - he sees prejudice and usury everywhere and has got into a spiral of despair because he can do nothing to change it other than try to teach the students to not follow suit - biggest step towards enjoying myself here and understanding why I love Thailand was in quitting the uni and going it alone in a non-education role ..... unless of course switching into journalism is an extension of lecturing, but to an unseen audience?

Whichever, getting out of teaching has seriously improved my quality of life, and my enjoyment of it. I've also noticed my criticism of things Thai has been cut back to what is "newsworthy" rather than purely "gossip" and "whining". My closest friends have all commented on it as well - initially they were worried I'd follow the earlier trend, but in print, and end up in clink or deported.

Moral - if you find yourself being too critical of this country - get out of teaching and do something else. A change is as good as a rest.

Personally nemesis I think your Avatar says it all and then some... placed in front of the Immigration perhaps?

Also the book should have a chapter on losing your passport and noting you will be put in jail if you don't talk to your embassy first, rather than the police, and that if you are killed, please ask your next of kin not to inform foreign media, who thoughtlressly want to tell people planning to visit that this is an excellent place to come to be killed.

If you are a person of African extraction, there are many better places to come than Thailand even if you aren't a scoundrel. Thailand does not need/want your money or your company.

Also don't play tonsil hockey with police officers who are drinking, and a better one, don't drink with police officers nor with immigration informants, who drink with police officers.

Exactly! :o

I wonder why this guy Nemisis don't just go home. :o

Funny how almost the entire thread, starting with the topic itself, is filled with 'anti-Thai' sentiment, but I am the only one who gets called on it. lol

Why don't I 'go home?" Because my goverment is just as bad as at telling other countries and people how to do it, not just at home, but all over the world.