Can Of Compressed Air & Power Cable For Laptop

Does anyone know a place to buy a can of compressed air for cleaning out computers? I know someone will say a computer store but maybe someone knows an actual name of the store to go to rather than trying them all.

Also, I need a power cable for my laptop. The original one crapped out, and I bought a generic one but it doesn't put out the right amperage so I either need a better generic one or another original one.

Any help with any of the above is most highly appreciated.

Paul Allen

Does anyone know a place to buy a can of compressed air for cleaning out computers? I know someone will say a computer store but maybe someone knows an actual name of the store to go to rather than trying them all. Also, I need a power cable for my laptop. The original one crapped out, and I bought a generic one but it doesn't put out the right amperage so I either need a better generic one or another original one. Any help with any of the above is most highly appreciated. Paul Allen

Sawasdee khrap Paul....

did you try in Tesco Chaweng? (Compressed Air Bottle)

i t'hink i saw one there.....

Power Cable? like these.......

post-51795-1201108650.jpg

post-51795-1201108644.jpg

do you need just the cable to the power supply or a cable and the powerbox?

What Notebook do you use.....a newer NB need about 3.8 .... 4.5A power.

I recommend you in samui the shop from rawadee computer lamai (by the ITC)

http://www.rawadee.com/

she works just perfect :o

Chayaphum

Edited by Chayaphum

Paul,

If you're based in Chaweng, I find the shop at the traffic lights, at the ring road, near Tesco Lotus very good. Name eludes me right now but it's coming from Tesco Lotus, take a left at the traffic light and it's immediately at your right hand side.

Yes, I need the entire power cord. As i said in my ogiginal post the generic one I bought didn't put out enough amperage. I need 19V at 6.3 amps. It is a Toshiba Satellite A75-s2112.

Thanks for the location to get the air. My computer keeps over heating and I need to blow it.

Haha....I said..blow it..

Yes, I need the entire power cord. As i said in my ogiginal post the generic one I bought didn't put out enough amperage. I need 19V at 6.3 amps. It is a Toshiba Satellite A75-s2112.

Thanks for the location to get the air. My computer keeps over heating and I need to blow it.

Btw Paul, you should buy one of the laptop-coolers ( a little plate with 2-3 fans you put under the laptop. They are really good and easy to use (usb). Dont know prices here but i got a really good powerful one all made in metal-one (plastic get noisy after a while) with 3 fans in Bkk for 400 baht. Computer been cool ever since.....

...amazing notebook :o 6.3A power consumption!

post-51795-1201194880.jpg

you need this one,

post-51795-1201194014_thumb.jpg

about overheating, that's a known problem of that model.

Try to step down your CPU with the win powermanagment,

switch to "use as a notebook" not a desktop. Use all ACPI features.

Download some cooling software (free) and step down your CPU-speed.

The software takes the control about the CPU power, just when needed

he go up to the max. level of 3.06 GHz.

I use my notebook with 2 rubbercubes (30mm high, from HomePro/Tesco)

on the bottom to lift up the notebook on the back side, the front is still down

.....anyway better for using the keyboard....more comfortable for writing.

And i never had a overheatet notebook :D

Chayaphum

Chayaphum,

Yes, that's the notebook I have!

I have to keep my room very cold, lift up the back end and blow a big fan on it to keep it from shutting down. So it is actually costing me money because I would not have the air con on other wise.

I read about the overheating, as you say, others who have this notebook have it a lot as well; that is why I want to get the compressed air to try and clean it out. It didn't overheat at all for the first 6 months or so when I was here so I figure it has accumulated dirt in it now.

That is a great idea about turning the CPU down. I never thought of that as that is when it most often crashes; when I have a lot of programs running. Thanks for the advice!

I guess the large power consumption is why the first generic power cord I bought wasn't powerful enough.

Thanks.

if he looks like this :o ......u have to blow out

post-51795-1201236145_thumb.jpg

look here....and d'ont ask why he overheatet...

post-51795-1201236175_thumb.jpg

another one....before

post-51795-1201236207_thumb.jpg

and after complete cleaning

post-51795-1201236248_thumb.jpg

i used a airblower (bought in BigC,300bt) with 500W power,

the same blower u will find in every computershop (the people there works with it)

but they don't sell it, just use for blow out computercases.

Another TIP for cooling down:

1. remove your cpu cooler/fan/heatsink

2. check your cpu on the top, how looks?

3. some cpu's are covered with a thermal-pad to contact the heatsink (better)

some cpu's are just covered with a little bit of thermal-paste (arctic-silver)

you can buy one small tube for 120bt in the pc-shop before Tesco chaweng on the right side (from lamai).

After a few month, this cream get very dry and hard...that's mean, a very bad contact to the heatsink

and that's why the cpu temperature will increase every month (also when the pc has nothing to do)

4. remove/clean the old silver paste with 70% isopropanol-alcohol (every drugstore sells)

put a little bit from the new silver paste on the cpu (just in the middle, not everywhere!)

and take a razor blade (gillete) to smoothen evenly over the cpu-core, just very thin.

how to make: http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

post-51795-1201238203_thumb.jpg

5. if it's a thermal-pad, check the quality....otherwise replace with a new one (i have some over with me)

post-51795-1201238305_thumb.jpg

Chayaphum

(PM for more help, if needed)

if he looks like this :o ......u have to blow out

post-51795-1201236145_thumb.jpg

look here....and d'ont ask why he overheatet...

post-51795-1201236175_thumb.jpg

another one....before

post-51795-1201236207_thumb.jpg

and after complete cleaning

post-51795-1201236248_thumb.jpg

i used a airblower (bought in BigC,300bt) with 500W power,

the same blower u will find in every computershop (the people there works with it)

but they don't sell it, just use for blow out computercases.

Another TIP for cooling down:

1. remove your cpu cooler/fan/heatsink

2. check your cpu on the top, how looks?

3. some cpu's are covered with a thermal-pad to contact the heatsink (better)

some cpu's are just covered with a little bit of thermal-paste (arctic-silver)

you can buy one small tube for 120bt in the pc-shop before Tesco chaweng on the right side (from lamai).

After a few month, this cream get very dry and hard...that's mean, a very bad contact to the heatsink

and that's why the cpu temperature will increase every month (also when the pc has nothing to do)

4. remove/clean the old silver paste with 70% isopropanol-alcohol (every drugstore sells)

put a little bit from the new silver paste on the cpu (just in the middle, not everywhere!)

and take a razor blade (gillete) to smoothen evenly over the cpu-core, just very thin.

how to make: http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

post-51795-1201238203_thumb.jpg

5. if it's a thermal-pad, check the quality....otherwise replace with a new one (i have some over with me)

post-51795-1201238305_thumb.jpg

Chayaphum

(PM for more help, if needed)

Thanks for this info. My PC is in need of a service as the temps are rising. I can see alot of dust

inside so I'm going to get to work on it.

Do you know where I can find a power cord and supply for a compaq presario laptop on the island. I have

not used mine for a while and when I try and start it up now, nothing happens. I can feel a little heat when touching

the power supply, but the green power light on the laptop does not come on as usual and I can not turn on the laptop

at all?

Many Thanks

....how old is your ac-adaptor?

do you have a multimeter for check the output voltage on the powersupply plug?

...check that first, if there is no voltage (19/20V or something) or not enough,

replace the ac-adaptor with a model that gives you the same power (A!).

Just look on the bottom first before buy a new one, it's important that you buy

a new adaptor with the same values (V & A output) no have to be an original.

post-51795-1201241095.jpg

if the ac-adaptor works properly......then you have a problem with your notebook.

Second check, if the ac-adaptor works, take out the battery and plug in the ac-adaptor

and start the computer.....most notebooks will work then. But in this case, you do not have

a buffer for overvoltage from the homepower network (samui has between 180-250V !)

depending on the day or nighttime. Buy a USV/UPS (about 1700bt) with 750VA.

Very good for protect every notebook :o anyway, if you work with or without battery.

post-51795-1201241534_thumb.jpg

Chayaphum

to buy ac-adaptor in samui.......

check the shop in lamai (ITC) from rawadee.com

or some other shops around the island, there are many now....

Thanks for this info. My PC is in need of a service as the temps are rising. I can see alot of dust

inside so I'm going to get to work on it.

Do you know where I can find a power cord and supply for a compaq presario laptop on the island. I have

not used mine for a while and when I try and start it up now, nothing happens. I can feel a little heat when touching

the power supply, but the green power light on the laptop does not come on as usual and I can not turn on the laptop

at all?

Many Thanks

Noodles,

You might can use the generic power cord that I had initialy bought from My Computer in Chaweng just before (north side) the post office on main ring road. It gives you the ability to set different voltage levels. Be sure and check before you buy if it will work with your Presario. Determine what your power reuirments are and then see if that new cord can deliver it. He asked 1200 and I paid 1000 for it.

Thanks Chayaphum and PaulAllen for your replies, after looking at the bottom of my laptop I

think this needs a good clean aswell, so I'm off to get the compressed air and will look into the options

concerning the power cord.

Thanks again

I went to Tesco and can not find any compressed air. I found plenty of spray cleaners that shoot out a foam that claim to be safe for spraying inside a PC.

I really lucked out though. It just so happens that a friend of mine was in BKK. I called him and he went and got the exact power cord I need for my laptop as well as a can of compressed air! He returns to Samui tomorrow so I think I'm saved, but it just goes to show that Samui is really lacking in critical computer supplies. I wish someone would open a big electronics store here.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now I have to take my laptop apart, clean it, put it back together and then pray that it still works.

PA

I went to Tesco and can not find any compressed air. I found plenty of spray cleaners that shoot out a foam that claim to be safe for spraying inside a PC.

I really lucked out though. It just so happens that a friend of mine was in BKK. I called him and he went and got the exact power cord I need for my laptop as well as a can of compressed air! He returns to Samui tomorrow so I think I'm saved, but it just goes to show that Samui is really lacking in critical computer supplies. I wish someone would open a big electronics store here.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now I have to take my laptop apart, clean it, put it back together and then pray that it still works.

PA

They dont have it. Bought a can in Bangkok myself, and i can not swear that some computershop in Samui dont have it, but you are right, Samui is nothing compared to Bangkok when it comes to computers!!

Then again: Samui is supposed to be a tropical island right??? We are now living here complaining about the lack of com. parts while a few years ago they complained about the lack of european sausages. You want to live high tech, leave Samui. I think most of us living here know that. Anyway im glad your problems is solved, btw im going to Bkk next week, close to panthip so if you come to think of anything you need, pm me.

PA

Noted....

I will have some in my shop soon.(compressed air)

Power cords will probably be generic.

• 8 months later...

Sorry guys...but in all the back and forth here...no one ever answered one of the original questions... WHERE in BKK can one buy a can of compressed air for general computer dust cleaning chores...

I've looked in Tesco, Carrefour and any number of computer and office supply shops around town... and everyone seems clueless at first, and then finally, after they understand what I'm talking about, it's "mai mee"...

It's such a simple thing...to be found everywhere in the USA... Not sure why it's such a hard to find thing here...given the dusty environment...

So, for those who got a can somewhere in BKK, where did you find it???? And is there a Thai name for it??? (thanks much.... :o )

Sorry guys...but in all the back and forth here...no one ever answered one of the original questions... WHERE in BKK can one buy a can of compressed air for general computer dust cleaning chores...

I've looked in Tesco, Carrefour and any number of computer and office supply shops around town... and everyone seems clueless at first, and then finally, after they understand what I'm talking about, it's "mai mee"...

It's such a simple thing...to be found everywhere in the USA... Not sure why it's such a hard to find thing here...given the dusty environment...

So, for those who got a can somewhere in BKK, where did you find it???? And is there a Thai name for it??? (thanks much.... :o )

I bought in Phantip Plaza on the top floor, think they know in english.

Yes I went to panthip aswell, cost around 250-300 a can

I bought a couple cans at Pantip then before flying back to Samui they confiscated them before boarding the plane. All because of those #$%@$! who tried to blow up those planes in the UK. :o

I bought a couple cans at Pantip then before flying back to Samui they confiscated them before boarding the plane. All because of those #$%@$! who tried to blow up those planes in the UK. :o

Yep, few idiots destroying for everybody in the world. Did you go as a handcarriage i suppose? It´s still possible to check in the bag containing these things or they confiscate even that?

And by now some of the comshops on the island must sell this thing?

Allthought i have mostly good things to say about pantip plaza, the downside of it is that there is so much, so cheap things! I went in there last week, totally focused on a cable i needed. I came out without that cable, but WITH a mp3-player for my car (a "must have!"), a hairtrimmer, a flashlight, and usb-flashmemory.

Had to go back the next day for the cable! Dangerous place! :D