Songkla's Oil Biz Coming To Nst

Daren

Recently I heard that the oil people are going to be packing up shop in Songkla and moving up to NST around Nov. of 2008. Certainly things here in Nakhon will change, and drastically, if there is any truth to this tale.

Personally, I imagine NST will feel some serious growing pains if a bunch of rich, white pilots, rig workers, etc. come breezing through town. The influx of money and westerners will probably mean more restaurants, bars and English speakers to cater to them (perhaps some Budweiser, finally?!? :o ). We'll also see some of the less savory things that typically come along with the farang-o. Higher prices, more tourists, touts and traffic being just a few.

What is the chance that this is true? How do you see Nakhon changing if it is?

Yes I beleive this is true. A freind of mine is a helicopter pilot flying to oil rigs. At present he is based in Yorkshire but he has a Thai wife and a house in Songkla. He mentioned many months ago that when his son finished his education he would be transferring to NST and that I would probably see a lot of him. I didnt appreciate the implications until I saw your posting so I will pump him for more info. Having said that after the trouble I had trying to furnish and decorate my house once it was built there are certain aspects of a farang invasion that I would welcome

If it is true, then you could be in the right place at the right time to cash in on the boom!! think of a business that Falang's will want and need here in Nakhon and start it up... money money :o:D maybe a real estate company dealing with rentals ??? hire car company ?? restaurant ?? bar ?? laundry service ?? money to be made Daren.

I know it is true but it is very hush hush, they will not be stationed in NST town but the provice. That is why all the Thais are buying land outside Tasala like crazy now. They will be stationed between Tasala and Surat...

Rumor is now confirmed by a very connected person that is a high ranking soldier (NO NOT A SERGANT)

Does this mean we'll finally get that long-awaited McDonald's outlet in NST? Or perhaps we'll get 6 KFCs in addition to the 3 that already exist.

I'd also like to see hotel prices rise to at least 2000 baht/night and for a beer to cost in excess of 100 baht. :o

NST is one of the few areas in the gulf that has a deep water port.

Every other deep water port in Thailand has oil & gas fabrication yards clustered around them.

Every yard is full to capacity and there is no more available land for new yards.

The cost of oil is rising.

Demand for oil is rising.

Oil companies want to capitalise.

New projects need to be built.

Where else to go?

Indeed, Tatler. Got about 300k I could borrow for a spell?

How long is a spell Daren?? what would be a fair interest rate?? and only 300k?? can't do much with that, make it 500k :D:D

How about we just go for the cool mil? And a spell is just as long as it takes me to spend it all in booze fueled binge in phuket and then move to another city. :o Interest rates are negotiable....

Indeed, Tatler. Got about 300k I could borrow for a spell?

How long is a spell Daren?? what would be a fair interest rate?? and only 300k?? can't do much with that, make it 500k :D:D

How about we just go for the cool mil? And a spell is just as long as it takes me to spend it all in booze fueled binge in phuket and then move to another city. :o Interest rates are negotiable....

Its true guys - I am currently looking into opening Oil related training business in the province and believe I cant fuc_king stand NST. The money will be there within 12-18 months. Lovely

• 2 weeks later...
NST is one of the few areas in the gulf that has a deep water port.

Every other deep water port in Thailand has oil & gas fabrication yards clustered around them.

Every yard is full to capacity and there is no more available land for new yards.

The cost of oil is rising.

Demand for oil is rising.

Oil companies want to capitalise.

New projects need to be built.

Where else to go?

Bangsaphan has a deep water port. Lots of steel ingot coming in for the rolling mill there. Not sure about available capacity, but there is a fair amount of land (coconut groves).

Well finally spoke to my pal and he thinks it will be some time before anything happens. He also thinks it will only be a merger of 2 sites that fly staff to the offshore rigs and most staff wont move from Songlah. However the rig workers to come back for R & R and it gets pretty lively then

• 3 weeks later...

:o It will be a long time until they move the whole business to NST

The Environmental studies has yet to be done on the land they plan to use in NST...

At the moment that land looks like Phi Phi island when it was virgin...

So its all upto the local politics.. I can see alot of NGOs coming out and protests and stuff like that (possibly sent from Songkhla.)hah.

If the oil company thinks songkhla is dangerous.. they sure dont know Nakorn people. Theres already a couple shooting to win over the land in that area.... Lets hope they stay in SKL

Currently working for Chevron in GOT - the fact is when Chevron bought Unocal two years ago there were two seperate logistic / supply bases, one in Songkhla the other in Sattahip. Chevron have decided to combine both operations in NST. The helicopters are going to the commercial airport sometime in Nov 2008 possibly early 2009. The boat supply base is scheduled to move in 2011 - providing the EIA is approved.

Most of the current helicopter pilots & mechanics rotate thru Songkhla, spending 5 weeks in country 5 weeks back home.

Expats working offshore typically spend 1 night in Songkhla before going out - there is a breathalyser, so not too much partying. Most fly straight to BKK ASAP once they have finished their hitch, again not much time spent.

Some service companies are planning on busing their guys up from Songkhla - where most of local staff will stay. I'd expect most just to fly in/out staying a night at most. Can get crazy in Oct/Nov during typhoon season when the rigs / platforms get evacuated.

Currently working for Chevron in GOT - the fact is when Chevron bought Unocal two years ago there were two seperate logistic / supply bases, one in Songkhla the other in Sattahip. Chevron have decided to combine both operations in NST. The helicopters are going to the commercial airport sometime in Nov 2008 possibly early 2009. The boat supply base is scheduled to move in 2011 - providing the EIA is approved.

Most of the current helicopter pilots & mechanics rotate thru Songkhla, spending 5 weeks in country 5 weeks back home.

Expats working offshore typically spend 1 night in Songkhla before going out - there is a breathalyser, so not too much partying. Most fly straight to BKK ASAP once they have finished their hitch, again not much time spent.

Some service companies are planning on busing their guys up from Songkhla - where most of local staff will stay. I'd expect most just to fly in/out staying a night at most. Can get crazy in Oct/Nov during typhoon season when the rigs / platforms get evacuated.

Me too...which rig :o

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Was talking to a local who lives on the beachfront north of Thasala last week and he told me that one of the oil companies had bought up land and were getting ready to set up just north of his place.

The land for the base was procured some while ago and may already be filled and graded for all I know. But the problem with all the rumors -- seems like there's been a new one every month or two for years and years now -- is that nobody in Songkhla is in on the decision-making process. Not the managers and certainly not the workers. The helicopter guys were told at one point to expect to move within a year, but that was cancelled. In short, nothing's likely to happen anytime soon. And even if/when it does, a lot of the business (starting with PTT) will stay put in Songkhla.