Australian visa for thai girlfriend

Hi,

The time has come to take the girl to Australia for a visit. I know a lot of people have been down this path many times.

I am wondering if anyone has any up to date knowledge of what is the best way to go about it. Or pitfalls to avoid??

• 1 month later...

I've recently been down this path unsuccessfully.

My GF owns her own business, had well over 150,000 bht of her own money in the bank. She owns her own house.

They still knocked her back.

Has anyone used one of these agents that guarantees a visa even if one has been previously refused? Is it worth it? Is it a con? How do they manage to get the visa?

They still knocked her back

What kind of visa did you apply for?

Khun Girlfriend has already been to Australia twice, and will shortly go for her third visit.

I wrote an email supporting her application for her holiday both times, putting the dates she would arrive and depart, and that I would support her financially while in Australia.  (She doesnt need support, but this needs to be stated)

She was issued a Short-stay visa each time (I guess the equivalent of a tourist visa).

She downloaded the forms straight off the Immigration website, and submitted them to Bangkok each time.  She made the trip from Phuket up to Bangers for a short interview and after approval left her passport for the day and got the visa issued.

No agents, no extra fees.

Were we lucky?  It was rather simple.   :laugh:

It was only for a tourist visa.

I also wrote a letter for her as an invite, explaining much the same as your email.

After the first knock back I also travelled with her to the embassy, bought AUD 18,000 in travellers cheques for her to show them but they still knocked it back.

Oz is one of the strictest (if not THE strickest) countries to try to obtain a visa. If you still have trouble getting one, you're best bet is for to you ask someone official (eg. professor/doctor/lawyer) or high ranking in community from Aus to write an official letter stating the reason for visit, along with their recommendation/approval. Know anyone?

:o

My Thai GF has nearly got permanent residency in Australia.

I met her when she was studying over there and helped her with all the paper work and documents.

There is so much evidence you have to show when you are in a relationship for obtaining a temporary spouse visa. Now I am here studying while she has a great job.

It will be very flexible for us when she does get it.

We have to go back to oz next year to submit more evidence to immigration that we are still together.

Pretty expensive too the application fee.

I am going to bring my girlfriend to OZ  eventually . I have researched the topic through this forum & others . I am going to apply for the 90 day tourist/short stay visa. I have read other info saying that I would have less trouble if I applied for a sponsored visit which I don`t know if I can.

Any help would be appreciated :o

Jamie

Met my Thai GF in Bangkok in 2001 while working there. I'm English but working in Sydney now. GF has been to UK and recently to Aus on tourist visa. In both instances I supplied her with a letter from me with flight dates etc on them and saying I was supporting her stay in UK/Aus finacially while she was with me. Worked both times and currently planning for her to come back here to Sydney.

Surprised you had problems given what you say you did. I'm here in Sydney on work sponsored visa which I thought would be a problem for us.

Anyway, we're looking to get GF a temp residency visa now but have to prove we've lived together for 6 months prior to application. Anyone have any experience of this application? We're considering GF coming here on student visa (shes 27) for 3 months followed by 3 month tourist visa?

• 2 years later...
<font color='#000000'>Hi,

The time has come to take the girl to Australia for a visit. I know a lot of people have been down this path many times.

I am wondering if anyone has any up to date knowledge of what is the best way to go about it. Or pitfalls to avoid??</font>

Manfromoz, see my post today, I soke with the Shadow Minister for Immigration office today and was tols that with the present Federal Government in power the likelihood of an application being successful was doubtful. The office said that the directives are coming from Canberra, and that the embassy in Bangkok is just following Canberra directives.

Don't ya hate being ruled over by FAILED solicitors! :o

:D-->

QUOTE(Edward B @ 2003-08-20 13:27:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<font color='#000000'>Oz is one of the strictest (if not THE strickest) countries to try to obtain a visa. If you still have trouble getting one, you're best bet is for to you ask someone official (eg. professor/doctor/lawyer) or high ranking in community from Aus to write an official letter stating the reason for visit, along with their recommendation/approval. Know anyone?

:D</font>

Hi Edward B, yes you are on the right track. The best shot is to ask your local politician for a supporting letter, or contact, phone, the Shadow Minister for Immigration and ask for assistance. If your are in Australia at the moment, the opposition Labor Party would have no objections in trying to assist anyone having trouble with the current Federal government. :o

For a tourist visa to Oz...

You will need to prove that you have known her for a minimum of 6 months, this can be done by providing letters, photos, e mails etc...

If you are sponsoring her you will need to show prove of your income...ie: payslips, tax return notices etc.

You will need to provide a letter or a stat dec declaring that you, will provide for her in every way, ensure that she abides by the visa conditions, How long you have known her etc...A stat dec is a legal document and is considered by the Embassy. I also include a photocopy of my drivers licence in my girls applications.

There is no interview as such but they may ring her and ask her about your relationship.

The reason to return is a bit ambiguous, Children are not considered a reason to return. Certainly if the girl is working, a letter from the employer stating that she is allowed the time off and has a job to return to, is considered a good reason but not always. A letter from her local head monk would also be considered highly.

Hope this assists

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to here so many people with bad results. My experience was the complete opposite. Glad I didn't read these posts before I when for the visa for my girlfriend or I would have been worried.

My back ground: Australian, living in Thailand (11 months) on non-Imigrant B visa. About to return to Aus as my 1 year Visa is up. Will take my now wife to visit family and apply for a Non-imigrant O visa. Found the Thai embassy in Australia to be very easy going.

We applied for the Aus Visa before we where married. (3 weeks ago).

What I provided:

Copy of my passport

Supporting letter explaining our history together. (had no other supporting docs except stamps in my passport from the 3 years that I have been traveling to visit her, so provided copies of these.)

Copy of my bank statement from Aus

And a completed copy of the aplication form that I downloaded from the Aus Embassy website.

I completed this including supplying 2 addresses and relatives that we will be staying witha and explained that I will cover all expenses.

What she provided:

Passport

Id card (copy)

House registration (copy)

Rental agreement for shop she runs (copy in Thai)

We only requested a 2-3 week stay in Aus and she was granted a 1 year multientry 90 day visa. Same as I got to come to Thailand, and only took the Aus embassy 5 working days.

I think the key is to explain in the letter as many reasons why you will be returning to Thailand. I provided very little evidence and only stated in my letter that we have a home here (rented) a car, a motorbike. There main concern is that she will remain in Aus illegaly.

Best of luck...