Persistent Rains Wreak Havoc On Bangkok

Jai Dee

Persistent rains wreak havoc on capital

Constant rain fell throughout Bangkok this morning, impairing traffic on many key roads in the city. Srinakarin, Pattanakarn and Pravet road have experienced minor flooding slowing traffic to a near halt while Bangkapi intersection has been hit with a 5 car accident blocking the entry road and shutting off movement in all lanes but one. The Bangkapi clog up has also affected traffic on Seri Thai and Minburi roads.

Cars have begun to collect on many other major roads with traffic slowing throughout the capital. Heavy traffic can be found on Vipavadee Rangsit road heading towards Don Muang Airport, Lad Prao road, Suthisarn road heading towards Din Daeng and Paholyothin road near the Kaset intersection as well as Rama 7 bridge and Rama 4 heading towards Wireless road.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 January 2008

BMA deploys hundreds of feed pumps due to heavy rain this morning

Deputy Director of the Department of Drainage and Sewerage, Sanya Cheenimitr (สัญญา ชีนิมิตร), says the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) turns on feed pumps across the capital to release water due to heavy rain this morning.

According to the deputy director, the rain had fallen in the east side of Bangkok, including the districts of Prawet (ประเวศ), Saphan Soong (สะพานสูง), Khlong Samwa (คลองสามวา), Min Buri (มีนบุรี), Bueng Kum (บึงกุ่ม), and Lat Phrao (ลาดพร้าว). The rainfall in the districts of Prawet and Saphan Soong exceeds 100 millimeters per hour.

BMA has deployed hundreds of feed pumps in order to prevent flooding in the capital’s inner areas.

Mr Sanya affirms the rainfall is manageable and the situation is expected to return to normal by today.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 January 2008

I live out towards the new airport. Most of the streets were flooded and Bangna Trad was at a standstill. I haven't seen streets this flooded in many years. Of course, traffic was not aided by the usual collection of accidents which occur in Bangkok almost every time it rains.

I live out towards the new airport. Most of the streets were flooded and Bangna Trad was at a standstill. I haven't seen streets this flooded in many years. Of course, traffic was not aided by the usual collection of accidents which occur in Bangkok almost every time it rains.

Bangna Trad wa jammed following a container flip over

Didn't rain too bad where i am but i saw at least 5 different acidients...

1 of them, a guy fell off his scooter right in front of me doing about 60kmph... I locked the brakes up and didnt hit him fortunately...

Bangna Trad wa jammed following a container flip over

Perhaps further down, but at the point I came in from Bangna Trad it was not due to a container mishap, but rather high water in some areas and auto accidents in others. However, given the amount of containers I have seen jackknifed in the past, the fact that there was one is not surprising in the least.