Custom Frame Manufacturer

qualtrough

I am looking for an outfit that can manufacture a small run of motorcycle frames (approx. 50) from manganese-moly or chrome-moly steel using MIG welding. These have to be mfg. to pretty close tolerances and finishes. If anybody has any suggestions or recommendations they will be much appreciated.

hey if I buy a custom frame from the custom Thai manufacturers, can I get a green book without having to pay the import taxes, (since it will be a thai made frame). I can add my own HD engine (and deal with the engine tax issues separately). If I do this can I avoid the really ridiculous taxes the government charges for Harley Davidson? Thanks.

hey if I buy a custom frame from the custom Thai manufacturers, can I get a green book without having to pay the import taxes, (since it will be a thai made frame). I can add my own HD engine (and deal with the engine tax issues separately). If I do this can I avoid the really ridiculous taxes the government charges for Harley Davidson? Thanks.

The simple answer is no

The more complicated answer is also no

The answer if you are very well connected and can get a recycled (IE illegal) book is yes at about 100,000 These illegal books are beginning to cause problems and I know of several guys that cannot register due to book problems. Now that there are legal big bike importers expect to see the squeeze being put on these books.

Pay the money if you really want one.

Out of curiousity, how do these domestic builders handle the green book issue? I assume (which is what they do in the states) is that they are entitled to register their motorcycles as their own construction, and it would be a domestic bike. Hence, no import tax at least (and I am assuming that they are importing the engines because browsing their site they appear to be Harley-Evo based motors). If I brought them the parts--engine, tank, fenders, wheels, etc.--could they 'construct' it using their own frames and could they take care of the greenbook issue (legally of course--since they are a builder)?

• 3 months later...

adjust.jpg

So.... Did the original poster ever get his frames made? If seems like Thailand makes a strange choice because frames are usually the part associated with a VIN or greenbook # so it is almost always best to make them in the destination country rather then try to drag them trough customs for any country. Even just sending single tanks to Europe and the USA we ferequntly run into customs snags.

adjust.jpg

So.... Did the original poster ever get his frames made? If seems like Thailand makes a strange choice because frames are usually the part associated with a VIN or greenbook # so it is almost always best to make them in the destination country rather then try to drag them trough customs for any country. Even just sending single tanks to Europe and the USA we ferequntly run into customs snags.

Original poster here. No I didn't, but my customer is still very interested in that. I did try to contact one outfit mentioned above several times without success. They are looking for about 40 frames with sidecar (used for racing) to fit in a container. There is a specific requirement for the steel and my favorite machine shop was unable to source that here. I don't know if that means it is unable here or if they just didn't try hard enough. What is required is:

• Chrome-Moly steels 41xx series steels --4130 or

• Manganese-Moly steel such as Reynolds 531 or similar

If you can make frames out of that let's talk!

Sourcing 4130 should be pretty easy as there are metal importers in BKK who can get anything not made locally. Please post on here if and when you get a deal going with the recommended dealer. We only do sheet metal but I frequently get requests for rollers and it would be great to find a company that can build frames with high quality steel to USA/Euro standards including x-ray analysis of high stress gussets.