24 Days In Thailand With 19 Year Old Son

bklyngal

I've not been to Koh Chang myself, but many of my friends have... always had good reports, I shall be going next time I'm in LOS... so I would recommend it.

Nearby along the coast (closer to Pattaya) is Koh Samet, not as big as Chang and not so much scenery... it's basically a beach island, very laid back, good for relaxing...

totster :o

Totster- Koh Samet, not impressed mate. Pretty dirty or was so back in May. I was rather disappointed since I heard it was quite good. I'll stick to speedboat out of Pattaya to coral island or stop in Phuket! :o

Fair enough... haven't been for about a year so maybe it's changed... where did you stay...?

I have sometimes seen some rubbish piling up "behind the scenes", but the beaches and accomodation have always been clean and tidy....

totster :D

bklyngal

I think you new itinary sounds more sensible, it gives you more time to relax and enjoy your self, Patong esp Bangla Road is very simular to Pattaya but generally Phuket is not so much "in your face"

The Holiday Inn is a good hotel, but I dont think you'r son will be able to take girls back there, never used to be able to anyway. The Merlin (patong) is nice and so is the Merlin Beach, but the later is a fair bit out of town ( my parents stayed there very nice)

Try to get to Lamb Sing beach when you are there, ask a tuk tuk (taxi) beautiful beach you have to walk down to it not that far though.

I should be down there myself in about 2 weeks time.

Cheers RC

Thanks fo all the info guys. I planned the trip as follows please tell me what you think

3 nights in bkk to recover from trip

4 nights Chiang Mai

4 night Phukett

4 nights Ko Samui

3 nights  Pattaya

3 nights Hua Hin

3 nights Bkk \we leave on the 22 but at 1am (really the 21st)

do you think we should add or delete days in any place due to activities?

Any guidance is appreciated

BTW my son thinks your idea of renting his own room in Pattaya is a great idea although I am worried he will get into trouble. In the states he and his friends smoke weed ( he says no more, I dont believe him) What I am worried about is that someone will offer and he accepts and gets turned in for drugs. the last thing we need is a son in jail in Thailand.  If someone could post what these dangers are I will give it to him so he knows first hand. You guys are the best!!!

Just be careful in Bangkok Usually at night and don't wear much jewelry You have a nice holiday and just be careful

Yeah keep him away from the drugs in thailand because if he has them on him I don't know how long he can be in jail for.

just tell him wait until he gets home.

Well folks I finally got it all straight. Thanks to everyone who responded to my pleas for guidance. I am certain due to you I will have a much more pleasant trip and hopefully not to get ripped off too many times. I am off this morning to get a few shots...for the trip. When we return I will be sure to let you know how it all went and with some reccomendations for you to pass along to others. stay safe my friends....watch out for those flying sumsabxxx's (this quote was passed along to me) bklyngal

Congratulations on leaving Pattaya out of your itinerary. However I am truly concerned that you are nothing but the worst trash to even think to visit Thailand and allow/encourage your son to exploit a woman stuck in prostitution. What sort of parent are you ? I am sure some of the female members of this forum will be thinking the same as me...that you are a troll ! If you come here with better intentions then welcome - if not stay home !

Also I would like some feedback from forum administrators about this.......are you encouraging sex tourism ?? :o

Ned- I think bklyngal and the most that have responded are taking the realistic approach. The lad is 19 and I think most of remember what it was like being 19, and to be exposed to Thailand. I think everyone is just making the lad aware of what is going on rather than be caught off guard.

Well its a verystrange way to go about it. there is more to Thailand than sex with prostitutes.....espeically if you want to expose your child to another world with people less fortunate. they could send him on a volunteer program with VSO which would educate the lad in a much better way than showing him Pattaya or Nana or Patpong. The parents are the ones who see this as worth seeing.......must be trailer trash !

Well trailer trash- couldn't afford such a trip.  They wouldn't even go on holiday.  :o

Yes- tons of things to do in Thailand apart from the sordid side such as great cuisine, cultural sites, wildlife, beaches, diving, golfing, shopping. The list goes on and on.

My mommy wouldn't have taken me even into the city at 19. Not that I would have gone anyway.

nedkelly; You seem to be a very angry person....have you been ripped off in these areas. As far as trailer trash you seen to know this quote first hand . I am now in Bangkok and thanks to the many wonderful and informative posts from the senior members of this group my son is much more aware of his surroundings as well as not making the choice to visit with these unfortunate girls. We are having a lovely time and are visting all of the wonderful sites of Bangkok. Thanks to all of you. more to report later after I calm down from this narrow minded individual. my son will continue thanks....

This is Bklyngal's son, I really dont appreciate you talking to my mother in that manner. Did your own mother teach you respect. Probably not seeing how you sir are the one that is trailer trash. :o Seeing all those rude and inconsiderate words comen from a person like you makes me wonder, if you consider us trailer trash then that must make you an untouchable. You probably dont know what that means considering all you know is a low vocabulary of rude words. :D My mother was just trying to show me the good and bad of bangkok, I am 19 and have a beautiful girl who i love dearly. Oh and an Untouchable is the lowest of all classes that not even trailer trash would associate with or even look at. Good day to you all ONE!

bklyngal- well happy you arrived safely and are enjoying your holiday. Make sure you hit the food carts on the street. (some of the best food to be had- even the bugs)  :o

hi, thanks....we hit Patpong last night, what a trip!!!!! Knock off city. the girls loved my son they were grabbing him left and right...he had a ball. great for his ego. but, he has a great girlfriend at home now so he wont be lookin for love...lol....The crickets and the rest of the bugs were there but we just couldent.....We are living off the soups how fantastic. The people are the nicest. My son is getting his respect in check....life couldent be any better. We were hauled around today by a tour guide who led us to everwhere we could spend any money...jewlery, tailors, massage...loved that!!!! At least I knew what was happeing and we could control it. Thanks again my friend. Off to Chaing Mai in the am.....more to come...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just an update on our trip. We spent 6 days in Chaing Mai, loved it. The hotel (Sheraton)was a little run down and our alergies were terrible (dust mites or the like..lots of old carpeting) We met up with a fantastice tuk tuk driver who quickly became our friend. He took us everywhere. Hot springs, monkeys,snake farm, elephant and ox riding and rafting. He has a air cond. car as well. Shown us how rice grows, brought us on a long boat down the river. We did stop in a few of the places that gave him gas money but only because we wanted to. He heard one morning we went to the market and he tracked us down collected our things as we shopped (no money accepted) Other than that we paid him a fair amount to spend the day with us. He even took us to the airport...free. If anyone is ever in Chaing Mai look outside the Sheraton for Jimmy...tell him Bill and Alice sent you, he will take good care of you, Just be good to him. Then it was on to Phuket. We stayed at the holiday inn (new part Busakorn wing) what a fantastic place, they just couldent do enough for us. We were in the middle of Patong so the night life was crazy. My son got dive certified while we were there...thanks for that guys. He met another young man his age from Sweden in the dive school and they hung out. His brother had a part in a bar under the Tiger bar called Hot Rocks. This is where these two lived...the girls were great with them even though they knew they both had girlfriends in their countries. I even hung out with them several times...what a hoot!! it was right next to the ladyboy bar. When it was time for us to move on the girls cried!!! My son has learned so much from this experience he has grown!! We were planning on going to Hua Hin but guess what....the airport there is closed. We would have had to drive (Americans on the road, bad idea) or take the bus. I would have killed myself if I had to ride 9 hours on a bus or fly to BKK and go another 3-4 hours there. So, change of plans. We are now back in Bkk and will be here until we head back to the states. Today we went to the weekend market. It had to be 100 degrees or better I thought I would die of heat stroke. Lots of nice things but we only bought what we could take on the plane. Shipping and the related costs are a bit much. I guess tonight we will plan our week and see what we can see. Thailand is beautiful and we are loving it all from the busy city to the lovely country. And those thai massages are the greatest had at least one a day...ahh think I'll hunt one down now...talk at ya later...

• 2 months later...