Japan Town In Sri Racha

edwardandtubs

I had no idea there were so many Japanese in Sri Racha. I went to the Robinson mall and thought I'd take a look around the sois behind it and I saw dozens of Japanese restaurants and Japanese karaoke clubs. The ladies sitting outside one club tried to beckon me in but I got icey stares outside others. Maybe that's just their style or maybe these are Japanese only clubs. Karaoke isn't really my style anyway so I didn't go inside any. I notice on the internet there are "exclusively Japanese" apartments advertised in Sri Racha. Nice to see our Japanese brothers being as welcoming to us as we are to them. How come a Japan Town has sprung up in this area?

I had no idea there were so many Japanese in Sri Racha. I went to the Robinson mall and thought I'd take a look around the sois behind it and I saw dozens of Japanese restaurants and Japanese karaoke clubs. The ladies sitting outside one club tried to beckon me in but I got icey stares outside others. Maybe that's just their style or maybe these are Japanese only clubs. Karaoke isn't really my style anyway so I didn't go inside any. I notice on the internet there are "exclusively Japanese" apartments advertised in Sri Racha. Nice to see our Japanese brothers being as welcoming to us as we are to them. How come a Japan Town has sprung up in this area?

There's a huge amount of Japanese industry in and around Laem Chabang and the Eastern Seaboard.

The Japanese have been settling in Sri Racha since the early 80's. I used to live in Bang Saen in the 90's and used to enjoy myself in the Japanese clubs at Sri Racha which was already well established.( One difference between the Japanese and farangs is that most of them can speak some Thai, so if you want to go in the clubs, the girls only speak Thai -and Japanese - no English.)

As you say- some places welcome you, others only want Japanese customers.

Truth in advertising laws required this Japan Town building to be called:

"The J-Town Serviced Apartments"

jtown_building.jpg

p.s. The vast majority of Japanese clubs bar entry of farang.

Reminds me of Japan itself, except there, I wouldn't say it was the vast majority.

Edited by sriracha john

I notice on the internet there are "exclusively Japanese" apartments advertised in Sri Racha. Nice to see our Japanese brothers being as welcoming to us as we are to them. How come a Japan Town has sprung up in this area?

Wouldn't "exclusively Japanese" apartments advertisements be specifically attributable to the preferences of the owner, and not necessarilly the renter? Let's not attribute racism to the wrong party. Put another way, if a landlord puts up a sign advertising "Whites only", who is guilty of the offense, the landlord or the renter?

Apparently, the owners of these apartments and/or bars prefer Japanese customers. Maybe we should consider why that would be the case... (perhaps they have more money or more likely, more willing to part with it).

Edited by mauiguy90

After touring Sriracha a few days ago, along with several previous visits, I can provide some feedback that may be useful.

I spoke with several apartment owners and managers and it is their opinion that farang enjoy Pattaya and that Sriracha is for Japanese executives.

They stated that I am allowed to rent, but they think that farang would not like to live there because it is "different" than Pattaya.

So, racism exists, but it is masked by excuses and ignorant comments. Sure, Sriracha is much calmer than Pattaya, but it still has the sex business for the Japanese customers in the bars, Karaoke clubs, and other establishments. It is the same as Pattaya, but the wrapping and marketing is quite different.

Apparently, the owners of these apartments and/or bars prefer Japanese customers. Maybe we should consider why that would be the case... (perhaps they have more money or more likely, more willing to part with it).

Intelligent question! Because almost all of them are polite and humble in dealing with others. Hardly, you can find an abrasive individual. They are fair-minded and prepared to accept your explanations.

Quote Irene -

'Because almost all of them are polite and humble in dealing with others. Hardly, you can find an abrasive individual. They are fair-minded and prepared to accept your explanations.'

Yes, the Japanese work very hard, work long hours and are very well paid. When they do take a break though, they really like to have a drink and a good time.

There are Japanese children here in Sriracha that travel each day to the Japanese International school in Bangkok. Because of the high demand in the area they plan to open another school here in 2009.

Hardly fair to call it racism.

Farangs seem to enjoy the bright lights and in your face of walking street or similar, whereas the Japanese and Koreans (there are a lot of Koreans here too) prefer a more subtle place to go.

I have been welcomed into a few of the establishments but I have never had a good time in them, due to the fact that they are set up for Japanese/Korean tastes and styles.

This isn't racism, it is demand and supply fair and simple.

It has served me well with my rental properties :o

Intelligent question! Because almost all of them are polite and humble in dealing with others. Hardly, you can find an abrasive individual. They are fair-minded and prepared to accept your explanations.

I would consider myself polite, unabrasive and fair-minded. I usually get on very well with Japanese people and would resent being put in a box marked "farang" along with some some of the drunken buffoons you find in Pattaya. If they wanted to interview potential tenants to make sure they would be suitable then that would be no problem but I can't see a justification for blanket racial exclusion. Having said that I have no interest at all in singing songs with people who can't sing, giving tips to ladies with unrealistically high opinions of themselves and Japanese food is too salty for my tastes so I'm not really missing out on much.

Tuky, to make sweeping racial generalisations as you have done is indeed racism. This isn't the west where everyone panics and gets fearful and defensive at the mere mention of the word racism but to say farangs are one way and Japanese are another is indeed racism. Whether anyone should care if it's racism or not is another matter.

Edited by edwardandtubs

Tuky, to make sweeping racial generalisations as you have done is indeed racism. This isn't the west where everyone panics and gets fearful and defensive at the mere mention of the word racism but to say farangs are one way and Japanese are another is indeed racism. Whether anyone should care if it's racism or not is another matter.

edwardandtubs if it was any 'ism I would tend to call it more a form of culturalism, as it is a fact that people from different cultures enjoy different things/styles of nightlife whatever their race might be.

However, I still see it as more a case of supply and demand or perhaps what is known as capitalism rather than a racial issue. I understand what your saying, but racism has taken on a far broader meaning these days than is really necessary, it is just supplying what the local market demands.

Regarding the JTown apartments, I know non Japanese folks are living there quite happily.

I often find Japanese people very hospitable so I suspect it's a certain look and personality they want to exclude rather than a blanket racial exclusion. Sri Racha doesn't seem the most interesting place to live though but it's an easy ride up Sukhumvit Road from Pattaya to Robinson and just past all those Japanese places there's a nice Thai market. I hardly saw any westerners and to be honest I hope it stays that way as it made for a nice little Saturday evening away from Pattaya.

Edited by edwardandtubs

After touring Sriracha a few days ago, along with several previous visits, I can provide some feedback that may be useful.

I spoke with several apartment owners and managers and it is their opinion that farang enjoy Pattaya and that Sriracha is for Japanese executives.

They stated that I am allowed to rent, but they think that farang would not like to live there because it is "different" than Pattaya.

So, racism exists, but it is masked by excuses and ignorant comments. Sure, Sriracha is much calmer than Pattaya, but it still has the sex business for the Japanese customers in the bars, Karaoke clubs, and other establishments. It is the same as Pattaya, but the wrapping and marketing is quite different.

There is no such thing as sex in Sriracha.

I don't care how you use your ism's or sweetmouth. It is pure racism and I lost total interest in that town after dealing with

However, I may just move there with my Thai wife anyway, just to get in their face. I love the dirty looks on their faces when I walk around the area and the hissing noise that they make when we walk around. I get off on racism.

My best friend, who is African American, taught me the best lesson and quotation on racism. We were surrounded by white racists one day and they wanted to fight my friend. They told him that they were going to burn a cross in his front yard as a warning. Well, my friend is quite intelligent and his reply was, "Great. Tell me what day/time and I will bring the marshmellows". The point is that racism exists everywhere and it is certainly in Sriracha.

I may just bring my Thai wife into those Japanese establishments and see what happens.

P.S. Many farangs have money pockets that are deeper than any of those folks up there, so we will see who can outbid each other for the local Thai owner's attention. (Actually, if I was a business owner, that is exactly what I would want to see, money flowing in, not OUT). I guess I will keep my money out of that place and just visit it sometimes to haunt the locals. (Maybe they think farangs are like ghosts with the white skin)?

Not to mention, BEHAVIOR is the key when considering a patron, not the color of their skin or their culture.

What I have found is that most Japanese people that I have met individually are just as friendly/nice as the next person.

However, and here is where the problem starts, when they start moving into an area in significant numbers... apartments, hotels, clubs will begin to hang out the "Japanese Only" sign. And that is what pisses some people off and accusations of racism begin to fly.

A little story...

Previously, I worked with a Japanese lady married to a Canadian. She was making reservations for a hotel in Bangkok and when the hotel heard her husband's name they said no falang. I think this was in 2002 or so and I do not remember the name of the hotel.

Now, I don't know if it is the perception of these establishments that Japanese only want to associate with Japanese or if a someone whispered that it would be best to keep non-Japanese out. Anyway you slice it, it is racism in that people are not allowed to do something because they are not Japanese.

TheWalkingMan

It isn't good manners to exclude people on the basis of race. I think they want to have their cake and eat it - their own Japanese clubs but then visiting the farang establishments as and when they see fit. It would be funny if someone opened a bar with a prominent "No Japanese" sign, just to make the point.

I would consider myself polite, unabrasive and fair-minded. I usually get on very well with Japanese people and would resent being put in a box marked "farang" along with some some of the drunken buffoons you find in Pattaya. If they wanted to interview potential tenants to make sure they would be suitable then that would be no problem but I can't see a justification for blanket racial exclusion. Having said that I have no interest at all in singing songs with people who can't sing, giving tips to ladies with unrealistically high opinions of themselves and Japanese food is too salty for my tastes so I'm not really missing out on much.

edwardandtub,

Thank you! Well said! You are one of the majority Westerners who are less vocal in Thailand but real nice and fair to fellowmen. If you want to see how good the westerners are, try to recall of the sympathy Thailand received in kind and words during the traumatic experience during the days of Tsunami that struck Phuket and Khao Luk. That was true Christianity.

So Mr Tubbs....I understand that you consider your bonhomie towards the Japanese as well established and legendary....would you care to give us an example of this?

I know Sri Racha pretty well and I believe there is a large sex industry there...so I guess there's be a lot of sex too.

As for the Japanese exclusivity....it is found in Japan as well, but I don't think that the Japanese really have a handle on that more subtle kind of racism yet.

I've used a lot of japanese bars and restaurnts in Thailand and the way they operate is so differnt from western establishments that it is very easy to feel like a fish out of water...but I don't think that much of this is the resuly of outward bad feeling from the Japanese. A lot of my encounters with the Japanese in Thailand has been through Japanese customers but ocasionally I will go to a bar on my own or with other westerners and have NEVER experienced a bad time.

As for Sri Racha, when I've asked which retaurant is best to eat at, I always get the same answer...."No good!....All no good!" - the truth? or just trying to keep me out?

You can certainly rent any of the apartments in Sri Racha.

People of different cultures have always stuck together when in a different country,

that's why you have little Italy, ChinaTown etc. etc. in the west.

It is not racism that dictates this, it's a feeling of belonging, and if I'm not mistaken the anglo-saxons are

no different except for the innocent banter between the british, american, australian etc. they do tend to stick together.

Nothing wrong with that, I only wish that the politically correct acknowledged this fact of life that has existed for hundreds of years. Why does anything resembling having a preference for your own kind always has to be racism?

My 2 cents.

onzestan

People of different cultures have always stuck together when in a different country,

that's why you have little Italy, ChinaTown etc. etc. in the west.

It is not racism that dictates this, it's a feeling of belonging, and if I'm not mistaken the anglo-saxons are

no different except for the innocent banter between the british, american, australian etc. they do tend to stick together.

Nothing wrong with that, I only wish that the politically correct acknowledged this fact of life that has existed for hundreds of years. Why does anything resembling having a preference for your own kind always has to be racism?

My 2 cents.

onzestan

I do not think anyone has problem with people sticking together. People have a problem with being denied goods or services solely on not being a certain race.

TheWalkingMan

I do not think anyone has problem with people sticking together. People have a problem with being denied goods or services solely on not being a certain race.

TheWalkingMan

Oh and there are no places in Great Britain that have a proper dress code where you're denied access wearing a jeans, no private clubs etc...

Same difference.

cheers

onzestan

A club having a dress code is in no way, shape or form at all similar to excluding people on the grounds of their race. The latter would be illegal in Britain and other western countries. There is no moral justification for saying "You're the wrong race, get out!" so I can't see why so many people seek to defend it. I'm sure the same people wouldn't jump to the defence of a whites only club.

A club having a dress code is in no way, shape or form at all similar to excluding people on the grounds of their race. The latter would be illegal in Britain and other western countries. There is no moral justification for saying "You're the wrong race, get out!" so I can't see why so many people seek to defend it. I'm sure the same people wouldn't jump to the defence of a whites only club.

I'm not defending racism, it's just that I don't have any problem whatsoever if the Japanese, Maori, Aboriginals, Sioux or whoever prefer to stick together in a country that allows them to do so. If they prefer to do so then I'll respect that decision. And why you think it's against the law in the west?

No malice intended.

cheers

onzestan

As for Sri Racha, when I've asked which retaurant is best to eat at, I always get the same answer...."No good!....All no good!" - the truth? or just trying to keep me out?

if you want to try three good restaurants in Siracha and all under the same group ownership try California steak at Karavel House, Intermezzo at Kameo House & The Orchard at Kantary Bay. in my humble opinion all are excellent with great service and reasonably priced food. if you ever get out of town the same company owns the fantastic Bistro 43 at Kantary Bay in Rayong. its a do not miss experience, and well worth the drive and before anyone asks no, i do not work for any of these companies, i have no interest in them except to share a recomendation with the other members although i do hold a discount card for dining in all their restaurants, which you can get too entirely for free. no japanese heritage is required. (you will find them all on google)

Some bars in Pattaya used to have signs that read No dogs allowed and No Arabs allowed. I thought they were terrible and the owners took them down or went out of business. Once, I ate in a Japanese establishment in Sriracha and I was only allowed to sit by the kitchen. All of the Japanese customers went to private rooms with 'special service' from the girls. I felt as if they wanted me to wash the dishes.