Internet Connection Without Landline -- Phuket

Filer

After reading lots of recent posts it seems that a good solution for Phuket is to buy a USB modem for my laptop and connect to CAT's CDMA network. It seems that the best modem to buy for this is the C-Motech CCU-650 CDMA 2000-EV-DO model and that the modem connects through a mobile phone Simm you put in it (which can be a standard AIS or DTAC prepay/top-up). Posters have mentioned a cost of 11,000 for this modem and something like 350 baht for 120 hours line time.

1. Have I got all this right -- or is it more complex than this?

2. Where in Phuket can I buy the modem? At CAT in Phuket Town? At one of the shops in Big C? By mail?

Comments appreciated.

You're mixing up the regular GSM (gprs/edge) network operated by Dtac, AIS and True. Their sim cards won't work in equipment using the cdma network!

CAT CDMA is the mobile network operator using CDMA in Phuket, so the above mentioned modems will need a CAT simcard (although your number might be hard-coded in the modem, not sure), and you'll have to buy the modem directly with them.

The hour packages are only available with AIS, with CAT I thing it's something like 790 Baht/month unlimited.

Other posters will correct me where I'm wrong, there's several ThaiVisa members using CAT CDMA!

Yes almost right..

The CAT system is the fastest mobile wireless option you will get.. But it doesnt involve AIS or DTAC and costs a fixed monthly amount (was 590 but it might have changed back to 790 ??)..

You have the hardware correct.

HI

The price incl. VAT is 845.30 unlimited, thats with free SMS and local call, buy it in the morning and if it dont work bring it back before 15.00 and you get your money back. the price for the usb modem is 11.000, if they have any left.

HI

The price incl. VAT is 845.30 unlimited, thats with free SMS and local call, buy it in the morning and if it dont work bring it back before 15.00 and you get your money back. the price for the usb modem is 11.000, if they have any left.

Whats the connection like using one of these set ups, as i live out in the sticks and the chance of a land line to the house is a long way off?