How Do You Do It?

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in the USA for medical reasons (like I am every 3 months). I now have Epilepsy and Diabetes, etc. so I need some medical care at the VA hospital because I get free care and free prescriptions from them.

Anyway, I wanted to know what had to be done to arrange for my wife to get a 'green card' to allow her to move to the USA to be with me. She already has a Thai Passport, but I know she now needs a VISA as well.

Where would you fill out the forms, the Thai Immigration or the American Embassy?

Just thought I'd ask since I'm sure a lot of y'all have gone thru it before.

Thanks,

Lon

It's been a while since I did it but if you can prove you live in Thailand, DHS has an office here which use to be a lot faster. Otherwise all paperwork (I-130) to start the process must be submitted in the US. Relax, it'll take a while if you have to file it in the US (close to a year). A two year green card if married less then two years will be issed after visa approval and first entry to the US. If she does not plan on working, a tourist visa will allow her to travel with you and stay up to 6 (INS officer determined at port of entry) months in the US. But that does not make the (I-130) green catd process any shorter except for the fact you may not be seperated from her. She will more then likely have to return to BKK for the (I-130) K1 visa interview.

This comes from the US Embassy BKK web site. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/usgmain.htm

How to Apply

You cannot begin an application for an immigrant visa at US Embassy Bangkok. The process for all immigrant visas, other than the Diversity Visa Lottery process, begins with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in the U.S., or in limited cases when the petitioner resides in Thailand, with the DHS office in Bangkok. The family member or employer in the US must begin the process by filing an I-130 petition or I-129F fiancée petition with the DHS office with jurisdiction over their place of residence. More visa information for immigrants is available at: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

The Diversity Visa Program provides a certain number of permanent resident visas annually. These visas are drawn from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.

Also try here, get your reading glasses on, a lot of information here

www.visajourney.com

Good Luck

Thanks a lot Manijohn!! I'm glad that I requested some information on the import of my wife from Bangkok. but I didn't know that it would take up to a year to get a green card. I'll start today!! :o !

Another question, would I be able to apply for a tourist visa immediately to complete the process sooner and apply for a green card at the same time, or would I have to wait for her arrival to apply for the green card??

Thanks again for your help, Manijohn!! Lon

I think you will find that the consulate will not issue the tourist visa with a pending immigration petition. They are worried that once in the US, your wife would apply for change of status and short circuit the immigration process. As said, if you live in Thailand and only visit the US for medical treatment, you can file the I-130 in Bangkok. Doing it here only takes a few months as opposed to the many months if done at US service center.

It sounds to me that you really only need a tourist visa for her anyway. Again, if you actually live in Thailand it is fairly simple to get her a 10 year multi entry tourist visa and she will usually be given a six month permission to stay stamp on entry to the US.

TH

I think you will find that the consulate will not issue the tourist visa with a pending immigration petition. They are worried that once in the US, your wife would apply for change of status and short circuit the immigration process. As said, if you live in Thailand and only visit the US for medical treatment, you can file the I-130 in Bangkok. Doing it here only takes a few months as opposed to the many months if done at US service center.

It sounds to me that you really only need a tourist visa for her anyway. Again, if you actually live in Thailand it is fairly simple to get her a 10 year multi entry tourist visa and she will usually be given a six month permission to stay stamp on entry to the US.

TH

Thanks for information Thaihome, it would be much easier to file the I-130 in BKK and the procedure only taking a few months rather than over 1 year in the USA.

I also think the Multi-entry Tourist Visa and a 6 month to stay stamp would give her plenty of time to see what the USA is like and if she has the desire to move here. I've pretty much had to convince her over the last year to return with me to the USA and see what it's like compared to Thailand.

Just a quick question though, I assume the visa would be valid for 10 years from the issue date but if she visited the entire 6 months and decided that she'd like to stay in the USA would it be possible to leave the country for 1 day and get another 6 months permission to stay stamp?? Just wondering!!

Thanks again TH, Lon

.... Just a quick question though, I assume the visa would be valid for 10 years from the issue date but if she visited the entire 6 months and decided that she'd like to stay in the USA would it be possible to leave the country for 1 day and get another 6 months permission to stay stamp?? Just wondering!!

Thanks again TH, Lon

Theoretically possible, but the officer at the POE reaction is highly unpredictable and I would not want to chance refusal.

TH

.... Just a quick question though, I assume the visa would be valid for 10 years from the issue date but if she visited the entire 6 months and decided that she'd like to stay in the USA would it be possible to leave the country for 1 day and get another 6 months permission to stay stamp?? Just wondering!!

Thanks again TH, Lon

Theoretically possible, but the officer at the POE reaction is highly unpredictable and I would not want to chance refusal.

TH

Thanks again TH,

That's what I kind of thought would be a possibility. I know in Thailand I would cross the border in Cambodia, go to the border crossing station on the Cambodian side and get my passport stamped then return to the Thai side and have my passport stamped for another 30 days. Then I got a retirement visa to avoid that.

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm going to be returning to BKK sometime in April so I'll file for it there.

Thanks again,

Lon