Persian Restaurant?

lotus eater

"persian food is not remotely related to the likes of arab, lebanese, israeli, etc cui"

When I was in Iran I thought it is. They also eat mostly this kebabs. The most popular dish in Iran is (I'm not sure about the spelling) Chelow Kebab. It is a ground meat skewer grilled over a charcoal fire. You get it everywhere and sometimes in simple places that's only food they have.

I did a lot of research before my last trip to CM and don't recall that there are any Persian places in Chiang Mai. There is one that I know about in Bangkok, it is below average. There are a number of decent ones, specifically Iranian restaurants, in Pattaya. And I agree it is a unique cooking style, and there is alot more to it than only kebabs, not to knock kebabs. I love the stuff. Learned about it in America where they always call them Persian restaurants for political reasons. Here they are Iranian.

When I was in Iran I thought it is. They also eat mostly this kebabs. The most popular dish in Iran is (I'm not sure about the spelling) Chelow Kebab. It is a ground meat skewer grilled over a charcoal fire. You get it everywhere and sometimes in simple places that's only food they have.

That sounds like a hamburger. Anyone know where to get a good burger?

I lived in Afghanistan for 3 1/2 years, and spent about 3 months in Iran, and can state that Persian/Irani food has, like all cuisines, influences from many surrounding countries and cultures.

But in no way can it be typecast as "Arab" food....matter of fact, these would be considered "fightin' words" in Iran.

Sour cherries, use of yoghurt in dishes, extensive variations of bread types, certain special herbs and spice combinations- are just a few of the differences that come to mind.

The LA region of California has the largest resident population of Iranis outside of the country itself, and has many fine Persian restaurants.

It's a lot more than kebabs.....

No one called it Arab food. I think all middle eastern food is somehow related. Finally it's the same culture. Of course there are local specialities.

When I was young I travelled all the countries between Istanbul and Kabul except Iraq, and I found a lot of similarities concerning food. OK, I travelled on a budget and had no chance to eat in high class restaurants.

The big change came after I crossed the Kyber pass into Pakistan.

I don't want to be drawn into a diversionary controversy, much less to pontificate. I mentioned the difference of cuisines only to pre-empt any pointers to a lebanese restaurants.

Turkish and Persian peoples are distinct from arabic speaking peoples in almost all aspects of their cultures - cuisines, language and ethnicity among them. Turkish cuisine however has greatly influenced most countries of the old ottoman empire (including european ottoman lands such as Greece). Persia was only superficially and fleetingly under Ottoman rule and hence there is less such influence there; in fact persian cuisine shares a lot with north indian cuisine.

Persian cuisine is much more than chelow kebab. Persian kebabs are not necessarily minced meat - in fact mostly they are not. And it is the cut of the meat and its marination that makes the 'barg' kebab for instance nothing like the arab kebab. There are lots of other dishes eaten with rice or breads. They also have a wonderful way of cooking meats (lamb, duck or chicken) with fruits like pomegranates which is unique. If someone from actual experience doesn't find much difference - well...up to him. But this all a digression.

By the way, I am neither arab nor persian. I like lebanese/syrian and moroccan cuisines - among the arab; and the very different turkish and persian cuisines too. I lived and worked in arab countries for a number of years; I had a very close persian friend for a number of years. I endorse mcgriffith's comments about L A's persian restaurants.

If there aren't any persian restaurants in chiang mai, I'd appreciate any tips of one in Bangkok - for my occasional trip there.

Iranian in Bangkok. Where is Persia, can I get a visa?

This is the best I can do.

Go to Panthip Plaza. Cross the street. Turn left. Walk slowly and look for a sign at the entrance to a soi announcing an Iranian restaurant. Walk down the soi until you reach kind of a courtyard dead end and if you make it this far, you can't miss it. The food is definitely Iranian and might satisfy a craving but it is the worse example of it I have ever had.

Second Idea, go to the Arab restaurant district in Lower Sukhumwit. Some of those places serve some Iranian dishes. Ask around. I don't think there is a specific Iranian place there. I think the one near Panthip is the only one in Bangkok. I would surprised if any of those places in Sukhumwit Arab Town have great Iranian food, but you never know.

Or you could go to Pattaya where you can get excellent Iranian food at dedicated Iranian restaurants. The reason Pattaya is developing a real Iranian restaurant scene is that there are loads (literally busloads) of Iranian tourists here now. World peace starts with a nice bowl of gormeh sabzi.

Edited by Jingthing

Iranian in Bangkok. Where is Persia, can I get a visa?

This is the best I can do.

Go to Panthip Plaza. Cross the street. Turn left. Walk slowly and look for a sign at the entrance to a soi announcing an Iranian restaurant. Walk down the soi until you reach kind of a courtyard dead end and if you make it this far, you can't miss it. The food is definitely Iranian and might satisfy a craving but it is the worse example of it I have ever had.

Second Idea, go to the Arab restaurant district in Lower Sukhumwit. Some of those places serve some Iranian dishes. Ask around. I don't think there is a specific Iranian place there. I think the one near Panthip is the only one in Bangkok. I would surprised if any of those places in Sukhumwit Arab Town have great Iranian food, but you never know.

Or you could go to Pattaya where you can get excellent Iranian food at dedicated Iranian restaurants. The reason Pattaya is developing a real Iranian restaurant scene is that there are loads (literally busloads) of Iranian tourists here now. World peace starts with a nice bowl of gormeh sabzi.

Can you specify the restaurants and their locations in Pattaya? Thanks.

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread. You have piqued my interest in Iranian/Persian food. Odd to some, perhaps, that in this some-time hamburger heaven any other type of food would be of interest, but the world is indeed an odd place.

The OP got off to a well-intentioned, but it seems not quite accurate, start with the comment that:

persian food is not remotely related to the likes of arab, lebanese, israeli, etc cuisine

With the help of later observations, we have learned that it is in fact remotely related to some of those cuisines, but the relationship is only that -- remote -- and that Iranian/Persian cuisine is a very unique, distinct and delicious one!

The bad news, though, is that the one Iranian restaurant that has been identified here in Chiangmai is described as the worst example the poster, Jingthing, has ever had, and the only place that is highly recommended in Thailand is in a town I have no desire to visit.

Still, with the proviso about poor quality in mind, I would like to give the restaurant in Chiangmai a try. I have a question, though, about the location.

Here's Jingthing's description:

Go to Panthip Plaza. Cross the street. Turn left. Walk slowly and look for a sign at the entrance to a soi announcing an Iranian restaurant. Walk down the soi until you reach kind of a courtyard dead end and if you make it this far, you can't miss it.

My question is, one is to cross what street? Panthip Plaza is on the corner of two major streets, Chang Khlan Road and Sri Don Chai Road (there is a third small street that runs behind it, but I can't imagine that's the one Jingthing had in mind). So, which of them does one cross on the way to the soi that has the restaurant?

Still, with the proviso about poor quality in mind, I would like to give the restaurant in Chiangmai a try. I have a question, though, about the location.

Here's Jingthing's description:

Go to Panthip Plaza. Cross the street. Turn left. Walk slowly and look for a sign at the entrance to a soi announcing an Iranian restaurant. Walk down the soi until you reach kind of a courtyard dead end and if you make it this far, you can't miss it.

Panthip Plaza is on the corner of two major streets, Chang Khlan Road and Sri Don Chai Road (there is a third small street that runs behind it, but I can't imagine that's the one Jingthing had in mind). So, which of them does one cross on the way to the soi that has the restaurant?

I think he's talking about pantip in Bangkok

Persian Food sounds yummy, especially its extensive list of breads !

Persian Food

Gormeh Sabji did not however look very appetising!

Actually, khormeh sabzi (along with chelo kebab-barg) is one of my favourite dishes. Tender pieces of lamb stewed slowly in dried lemons served in a sauce of finely chopped and fried herbs. Absolutely delicious.

And perhaps a glance at your reference to the wikipedia info will convince doubters of the distinctness of persian from arab/middle eastern cuisine.

No one called it Arab food. I think all middle eastern food is somehow related. Finally it's the same culture. Of course there are local specialities.

When I was young I travelled all the countries between Istanbul and Kabul except Iraq, and I found a lot of similarities concerning food. OK, I travelled on a budget and had no chance to eat in high class restaurants.

Change for the better or the worse? At risk of going OT I am really curious. I LOVE Indian cuisine, especially northern (like Royal India here in CM!) but never knowingly had Pakistani dishes. Some travel writers say it leaves Indian standing, which I find hard to believe.............??

• 2 years later...

Change for the better or the worse? At risk of going OT I am really curious. I LOVE Indian cuisine, especially northern (like Royal India here in CM!) but never knowingly had Pakistani dishes. Some travel writers say it leaves Indian standing, which I find hard to believe.............??

I thought most of the 'Indian' food in UK was in fact Pakistani - or nowadays Bangladeshi. The same in Chiang Mai - most on the Indian Restaurants here are Pakistani. That's why you often cant get a beer with your meal. (I know you can in Royal India)

As for Persian food, I've never seen an Iranian resturant here, but if anyone ftom downtown Tehran fancies opening one, drop me a line -from the comments on this thread I'd love to try it!

Right, I was taking about Bangkok. Here in Pattaya, there are more and more Iranian places, at least five that I know of already. Iranian is definitely it's own distinctive thing. Other pan-Arabic food will not satisfy a true craving for it. Not to mention, Persians are NOT Arabic!

Edited by Jingthing

Persians are NOT Arabic!

erm. . glad we got that one straight! Persians have bigger cocks :) erm... I mean the chickens are bigger.

but I never found something worth mentioning in CM or BKK. (never been to Pattaya so cannot comment)

Only place that I have return visited to is Shiraz in Clark Quay in S'pore, but you need Persian pockets for that one....

Right, I was taking about Bangkok. Here in Pattaya, there are more and more Iranian places, at least five that I know of already. Iranian is definitely it's own distinctive thing. Other pan-Arabic food will not satisfy a true craving for it. Not to mention, Persians are NOT Arabic!

Forgive me, but why are restaurants in Bangkok and Pattaya being mentioned on the Chiang Mai forum.

It seems to be confusing the issue.